Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vince Vaughn would have been amazing playing a straight mobster instead of a mobster from the Thesaurus Family of crime

Colin Farrel and his mustache, normal VV, and Crow Man made alternate reality True Detective Season 2 a continuing hit show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

See I feel like draft #2 was gonna tone down that word salad. Draft #3 was going to play up to his comedy bits coming out whenever he gets violent like he's masking his true personality. Draft #3 has him banging the singer at the bar at the end of the universe.

Also if we're talking good stuff never forget Colin Farrell's coke party.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jack Gladney posted:

Will this thing shamble into a season 3?

Yes. Michael Lombardo, who is (was?) the President of Programming at HBO, was asked about that. His remark was basically that season 2 sucked, but that he takes the blame because they rushed production on it following season 1. If Nick Pizzolatto wants to do a third, it sounds like he's welcome to.

I've said it before in this thread, but season 2 retroactively makes 1000% more sense if you imagine it took place in the early 1950's. Vince Vaughan as an absurd, old-timey mobster type makes way more sense if you imagine him as a remnant of Prohibition-era gangland. Colin Ferrell as a failed patriarch whose wife's rape is unspeakable makes more sense amidst midcentury values surrounding family. Taylor Kitsch as a deeply closeted war veteran makes sense if you imagine that happening in 1940's Europe. Scandalous mansion orgies are likewise more lurid if you place it in the Leave It To Beaver 50's.

Rachel McAdams' deal would be the only anachronistic one, what with the 70's-era hippie commune poo poo. But they still could've made it fit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This rewatch has made me hate Rachel McAdams more

"Call your daughterprick" is something that could have been fixed with an on-set rewrite or reshoot, but they didn't

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The most recent HBO trailer for HBOGo refers to True Detective as the Complete Series like finished shows like The Sopranos rather than the Every Episode they tend to use for currently running shows. Doesn't mean anything firm but considering they've already cancelled another show that they already renewed (The Brink) I'd be surprised if we get another season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xealot posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but season 2 retroactively makes 1000% more sense if you imagine it took place in the early 1950's. Vince Vaughan as an absurd, old-timey mobster type makes way more sense if you imagine him as a remnant of Prohibition-era gangland. Colin Ferrell as a failed patriarch whose wife's rape is unspeakable makes more sense amidst midcentury values surrounding family. Taylor Kitsch as a deeply closeted war veteran makes sense if you imagine that happening in 1940's Europe. Scandalous mansion orgies are likewise more lurid if you place it in the Leave It To Beaver 50's.

Rachel McAdams' deal would be the only anachronistic one, what with the 70's-era hippie commune poo poo. But they still could've made it fit.

I totally agree with you, and I'm enough of a noir fan to have enjoyed the season anyway. But there were so many James Ellroy influences anyway, just going all the way and making it a '50s period piece would have improved everything for everyone involved, including the audience. And McAdams' storyline as a female cop facing institutional sexism and sexual harassment at every turn would have made perfect sense in the '50s. Plus, there were creepy cults back then too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Plus, there were creepy cults back then too.
There were? Because perfect. They definitely should've set it then.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Scientology was founded in 1954 for starters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The good thing about True Detective is that since it's a series of self-contained seasons with no connections to each other you can put the show on hiatus indefinitely and bring it back at any time. Pizzolatto could take a break until he gets a solid framework for a third season and locks down writers, directors and actors before starting again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't help but feel that True Detective helped contribute to those stupid loving Lincoln commercials with McConaughey, and because of that and last season I hope it never comes back. As penance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

esperterra posted:

Truth imho. It still may not have ended up as good or interesting due to being such a familiar setting and sort of story in entertainment, but I feel like Pizzaman even had half as much time to prep as he did for S1 it would have been much improved. That and a single director.
Didn't Pizzolatto basically work on S1 for the better part of a decade?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

Didn't Pizzolatto basically work on S1 for the better part of a decade?

Yeah iirc he had it stewing for five years or something, which is one of the reasons I'm so lenient with season 2's quality considering he had what, not even a year to work on it? The man's primarily a novelist as well, isn't he?

There's a good season in there, it's just super rough around the edges.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I think I've said in this thread before that the most frustrating part of Season 2 is that there is an amazing show in there, it just didn't show through

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

kloa posted:

:rip: stan the man

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait a couple years and reboot it so they have excuse to get rid of pizzaman.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

If they're going to have each season self-contained anyway, why not just give different writer/director combos to do their own take on an 8-hour detective movie? The consistent direction from Fukunaga had just as much to do with the success of season 1 as Pizzolatto's writing.

Speaking of which, the news that Fukunaga was no longer tied to the new IT film broke my heart. I would love to see what he would have done with that material.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Speaking of which, the news that Fukunaga was no longer tied to the new IT film broke my heart. I would love to see what he would have done with that material.

As far as I'm aware, though, his 10-episode Alienist adaptation is still happening.

(For those who don't know, Alienist is a detective story set in 1890's New York City. An "alienist" is an old-timey word describing a psychologist; the story is about Teddy Roosevelt, who was once the NYC police commissioner, and a psychologist who attempt to use new forensic methods to find a serial killer.)

So, there's that to be excited about.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xealot posted:

As far as I'm aware, though, his 10-episode Alienist adaptation is still happening.

(For those who don't know, Alienist is a detective story set in 1890's New York City. An "alienist" is an old-timey word describing a psychologist; the story is about Teddy Roosevelt, who was once the NYC police commissioner, and a psychologist who attempt to use new forensic methods to find a serial killer.)

I read The Alienist and its sequel, The Angel of Darkness, back in high school and loved them. I'm super-psyched that a TV miniseries is finally coming out, 20-something years later. I always thought it would have made an incredible movie, but this will be even better, with Fukunaga involved.

I have yet to hear of a release date, though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

esperterra posted:

Yeah iirc he had it stewing for five years or something, which is one of the reasons I'm so lenient with season 2's quality considering he had what, not even a year to work on it? The man's primarily a novelist as well, isn't he?

There's a good season in there, it's just super rough around the edges.
Well maybe that's true (the novelist part) but Pizzolatto had been doing some TV writing prior to TD, so it's not like he suddenly stumbled upon a batch of scripts that worked for season 1 or accidentally wrote himself a 10 hour movie.

I mean I guess S2 could've used more time to cook in the oven but I personally am not a fan of the "10 hour novel" model that TD S1 tried to make into a thing anyway.

Honestly at this point I think S1 was just a lucky fluke, especially if Funkunaga really was a big of a mitigating presence on Pizzolatto's lovely tendencies as we've all been told. If Pizzolatto comes back again I should expect him to head a team of writers next time around, mostly because S1 was not exactly perfect either and he has a bunch of blind spots in his writing that I'd rather not really engage with any of his solo material if he's planning on doing a season 3.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xealot posted:

That sounds loving dope.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's really hard getting a show together and having everything work. The alchemy and chemistry, if you will, of the personalities involved is kind of unpredictable. Then you drop everyone from the show and recast the whole thing and expect it to work again. I would suggest this is something like a band getting together, let's say the Sex Pistols. Then they break up and Johnny Rotten forms Public Image Limited.

Season 2 is Public Image Limited.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

It's really hard getting a show together and having everything work. The alchemy and chemistry, if you will, of the personalities involved is kind of unpredictable. Then you drop everyone from the show and recast the whole thing and expect it to work again. I would suggest this is something like a band getting together, let's say the Sex Pistols. Then they break up and Johnny Rotten forms Public Image Limited.

Season 2 is Public Image Limited.

A large chunk of people will tell you season 2 is far superior when it's actually boring?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea ironically the action parts are what felt forced

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Fargo season 1 feels like a True Detective season in a way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Frank Semyon was no Rust.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vyst posted:

Yea ironically the action parts are what felt forced

they hired a fairly well known action director then didn't have him direct any of the action scenes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

they hired a fairly well known action director then didn't have him direct any of the action scenes

Makes sense. They hired decent actors and then had them not act..

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So I guess Season 3 isn't happening, which I think is a real shame

I resumed my Season 2 rewatch today, I like it a lot more the second time around

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Professor Shark posted:

So I guess Season 3 isn't happening, which I think is a real shame

Source?

'Cause all I found was this

(About the only thing of substance there is that the contract for the show was renewed thru 2018)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 31, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Source?

'Cause all I found was this

(About the only thing of substance there is that the contract for the show was renewed thru 2018)

Welp, that's more recent than what I'd heard.

A few days ago there was a news story about how it's unlikely that Season 3 would happen because Pizzolato was working on another project for HBO :shrug:

I'm very happy to hear it's still a go

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It seems like a no-brainer for HBO to keep it going, because every season is a fresh slate to attract big actors and tell a new story while maintaining some level of brand recognition. Canceling it outright would, in my opinion, be a rash overreaction to Season 2's critical reception.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Further rewatch opinions: Frank and his crew are most of the problem in my opinion.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Further rewatch opinions: Frank and his crew are most of the problem in my opinion.

But without them, how would we get to know Stan? Huh?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I know this is may be super controversial, but I think I'd be willing to give up Stan if it meant dropping the terrible dialogue that is Frank :(

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

ShakeZula posted:

It seems like a no-brainer for HBO to keep it going, because every season is a fresh slate to attract big actors and tell a new story while maintaining some level of brand recognition. Canceling it outright would, in my opinion, be a rash overreaction to Season 2's critical reception.

I hate how network executives assume a show has to have a season air every year in order for it to remain valid or successful. You know how many people would still watch Hannibal if it got renewed for a new season by now? The same is with True Detective. The HBO President even acknowledged that he hosed up Season Two by rushing Pizzalotto to write the story/script within a few months. If a Season Three of True Detective aired in 2018, I guarantee you everyone would still be interested/give it a shot.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
My analogy for the season qualities is Pizzalatto having busted his nut for the first time on his season 1 story and subsequently being rushed to climax again for the weak jism that was Season 2

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

steakmancer posted:

My analogy for the season qualities is Pizzalatto having busted his nut for the first time on his season 1 story and subsequently being rushed to climax again for the weak jism that was Season 2

Even if that's true, who the hell said Nic Pizzolatto had to write every season? He's the creator and EP, but if a different writer had a strong vision for the season, and he was supportive of it, I think that'd be fine.

The first season wasn't excellent just because of his writing, it's because Cary Fukunaga did something incredible with it. True Detective's strength is taking a detective procedural and filling it with prestigious talent and layered storytelling. Other writers can contribute to this and still make it feel "on brand."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xealot posted:

Even if that's true, who the hell said Nic Pizzolatto had to write every season? He's the creator and EP, but if a different writer had a strong vision for the season, and he was supportive of it, I think that'd be fine.

The first season wasn't excellent just because of his writing, it's because Cary Fukunaga did something incredible with it. True Detective's strength is taking a detective procedural and filling it with prestigious talent and layered storytelling. Other writers can contribute to this and still make it feel "on brand."

It might just be too much risk after season 2. Agreeing to a role on TD season 2 must have been the shortest decision those actors ever made after the quality of season 1. Season 3 though? Actors/writers might actually have to think about it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The first time around left a negative taste in my mouth because I missed the Lovecraftian elements from the first season, this time I can appreciate the greater focus on human corruption that Pizzolato really wanted to focus on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

My understanding of HBO's current original content is that they've been struggling to find success, in general. Like, outside of Game of Thrones, very few of their original series are doing that great...they apparently renewed Vinyl mostly because they had no better options on the docket. In that sense, it seems insane to me to step away from True Detective, just because they do still have good will from the first season, and the anthology nature of the show means that retooling it every time is the point of the thing.

Beyond that, I can't imagine that great talent would be that repulsed by a mediocre second season. McConaughey is the most "prestigious" actor they've pulled, whatever that means...and even big names like Rachel McAdams or Vince Vaughan weren't at some career height when they were cast. Hell, Taylor Kitsch was probably willing to do anything to get the taste of John Carter out of people's mouths.

• Locked thread