Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

This is somewhat reasonable, but surely you realize that zero of your questions were seeking such an understanding?

All of them were, in the sense that they were asking for clarification on a seemingly contradictory almost-ideology that is the structure in which people attempt to articulate their inner experience for some reason. Many other people in this thread have pointed this out (edit - the contradictions; everyone loves a good ideology, or Weltanschauung in german is more accurate for what im talking about)

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Tautologicus, I admire your masterclass trolling skills, but I wish you'd use your power for good. :evilbuddy:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Tautologicus posted:

Yes I am, and good thing you bring that up now because the phrase you're looking for is "make a distinction between" not distinguish, which implies trying to see a quality about something else other than from your own thought or action, rather than something you yourself have said or done. I don't need to distinguish if I am the one asking the questions. I am asking about the distinction between sex and gender which you totally glossed over in your almost-answers. Try again??
You so far haven't asked a question about sex and gender, but I'll lay down the truth. Words are words. Different people mean different things when using different words. I personally think it's useful to think of sex as physical characteristics, and gender as cultural norms, but others have other definitions.
edit:
Oh, wait, I'm back to "You are an idiot."

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Bravo posted:

Tautologicus, I admire your masterclass trolling skills, but I wish you'd use your power for good. :evilbuddy:

I'm getting to it. They just need to listen

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

You so far haven't asked a question about sex and gender, but I'll lay down the truth. Words are words. Different people mean different things when using different words. I personally think it's useful to think of sex as physical characteristics, and gender as cultural norms, but others have other definitions.
edit:
Oh, wait, I'm back to "You are an idiot."

Actually i asked multiple questions about it. You even quoted them. What is going on here?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My overall point is, if you stopped attempting to articulate your inner experience to others in a barely coherent ideology, and instead attempted to use your own words and phrases 100% of the time, you'd feel better and freer and wouldn't have to lash out at people as much for not understanding, because you could be more confident that your words reflected your reality. Hopefully you can see how I got to this point from my posts. But there are a few things that maybe I didn't make clear enough.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

Actually i asked multiple questions about it. You even quoted them. What is going on here?
And the reason why you posted this instead of quoting the answer I gave which was apparently insufficient is? (I know it's because you're an idiot, but I'm curious what excuse you'll come up with)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

And the reason why you posted this instead of quoting the answer I gave which was apparently insufficient is? (I know it's because you're an idiot, but I'm curious what excuse you'll come up with)

I asked a "is it this or this" question, and you answered with "yes", that's the short answer. I had followup questions for either answer you gave but I wasn't prepared for a yes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

I asked a "is it this or this" question, and you answered with "yes", that's the short answer.
And the reason why you can't quote that exchange is?
(edit: to be clear, it's still because you're an idiot)

twodot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 22, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

And the reason why you can't quote that exchange is?

I'm on my phone and since it was the core question of this whole exchange you ought to be able to remember if you have any investment at all in this lil talk.

The (first) question again was, if a transexual, assumed to be born male but thinks they are female, says they are female, are they asserting that their sex or their gender is female? I think your answer is gender but that is....problematic if you also say gender is primarily social conditioning.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

I'm on my phone and since it was the core question of this whole exchange you ought to be able to remember if you have any investment at all in this lil talk.

The (first) question again was, if a transexual, assumed to be born male but thinks they are female, says they are female, are they asserting that their sex or their gender is female? I think your answer is gender but that is....problematic if you also say gender is primarily social conditioning.
Ah, I see you don't understand how the word "or" works. In English "or" can either mean exclusive or, or logical or. Assuming you meant logical or, "Yes" is a totally appropriate answer. If you meant exclusive the answer is dependent on your (edit: and their) definition of sex and gender as I explained earlier, which anyone with even a basic education would understand.

twodot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 22, 2015

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I'll be honest, I don't really 'get' the whole transgender thing. I suspect it's a condition that's amplified by the internet, same as bronies and all that Tumblr poo poo like otherkin and such. Like, it existed before, and was probably a massive problem for a very few individuals, but now everyone with a slight mental imbalance is getting loads of reinforcement that 'yeah, cut your dick off dude, the reason you're so sensitive is that you're really a girl in a man's body'.

I got moaned at the other day on a video game message board by a transgendered person for getting my concepts all mixed up and calling a 'transwoman' a 'transgendered man'; I couldn't give a poo poo if you want to modify your body, it's yours to do what you want with, but don't get prissy with me when I accidentally get your descriptor confused. Apparently I am "denying people their identity" because I'm a bad man. Joke's on her because I identify as a good man so she's denying me my identity, what a hypocrite.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

Ah, I see, you don't understand how the word "or" works. In English "or" can either mean exclusive or, or logical or. Assuming you meant logical or, "Yes" is a totally appropriate answer. If you meant exclusive the answer is dependent on your (edit: and their) definition of sex and gender as I explained earlier, which anyone with even a basic education would understand.

Hey anybody reading this, does anyone accept this answer? I can't.

Sex and gender have standard definitions. The point of scientific definitions is that they are standard. No one gets to choose their definition, because then words lose all meaning. Especially when someone is being indignant about their ideology questioned and can suddenly say "well that's just my definition!" Suddenly you get the sense that you're flailing at shadows.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

Sex and gender have standard definitions.
This is something a child would say. Everyone defines words for themselves. It's socially useful to accept certain definitions of certain words, but you can't possibly claim to possess authoritative definitions of words without explicitly defining them.
edit:
And just to avoid being accused of a Socratic trap, there's a 100% chance that if you attempt to define them, I will call you an idiot.

twodot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 22, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So basically "gender is a social construct" is either a tautology, because it's not asserting anything that's not already in the definition, or when it is said people are just mindlessly repeating the existing definition, and its not an attempt at a new connection? How hosed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

So basically "gender is a social construct" is either a tautology, because it's not asserting anything that's not already in the definition, or when it is said people are just mindlessly repeating the existing definition, and its not an attempt at a new connection? How hosed.
All definitions are tautology. How dumb can one person be?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

This is something a child would say. Everyone defines words for themselves. It's socially useful to accept certain definitions of certain words, but you can't possibly claim to possess authoritative definitions of words without explicitly defining them.
edit:
And just to avoid being accused of a Socratic trap, there's a 100% chance that if you attempt to define them, I will call you an idiot.

This is very bad. Most of discussion is agreeing or attempting to agree on definitions.

Ok -

Sex - your chromosomes and physical characteristics

Gender - what a culture thinks a male or female body should do and what a male or female mind should think

Good enough to start from?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

All definitions are tautology. How dumb can one person be?

They aren't the first time they're said. And if no one agrees on what has been said, they're still not.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

This is very bad. Most of discussion is agreeing or attempting to agree on definitions.

Ok -

Sex - your chromosomes and physical characteristics

Gender - what a culture thinks a male or female body should do and what a male or female mind should think

Good enough to start from?
Looks like I was mistaken, if you want to work off of these, we can do that. There are several problems, but I doubt you'll say anything that finds those problems.

Tautologicus posted:

They aren't the first time they're said.
This is unambiguously false, assuming we agree that axioms exist. (Which we should, but you're really stupid, so maybe not)

twodot fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 22, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There are no axioms in linguistic communication wtf

All speech is relational

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Just for the sake of clarity, there are standard definitions for words, but those definitions themselves can be hard to pin down. For example, if you ask Wikipedia about 'Gender', it'll say something to effect of:

code:
Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity.
That's an accurate and messy definition of gender and definitely leaves a lot of room to discuss: 'What exactly does this mean'.

Where if you were to define sex, you're going to get a very biological answer:

code:
either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and many other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.
That's a much more direct, unambiguous definition.

Also, we can't live in a world where 'everyone defines words for themselves'. That promotes literally the opposite of what language is supposed to accomplish. Sex = reproductive function. Gender = Something that's a lot more difficult to really nail down. A really great example of where this all sucks is with the word 'normal'. For some reason, tumblr has decided that calling someone abnormal is an insult and now demands you call people atypical. That's retarded, because...

code:
Normal:  the usual, average, or typical state or condition.
This makes a transgendered person's gender identity abnormal, and that's totally OK. My sexuality is abnormal and that's totally OK. This is the language we agreed on using and while there certainly are words that have a definition that has a charge to them, easy examples being racial slurs, if being called 'abnormal' triggers you or whatever, then the problem is your self-esteem, not the people using normal words around you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

There are no axioms in linguistic communication wtf
I'm pretty convinced you aren't a primary English speaker at this point.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

I'm pretty convinced you aren't a primary English speaker at this point.

What's english got to do with it? We're talking about any and all language at this point. You can only make your axiomatic claims within mathematics and then Godel and a couple of other dudes would want a word with you.

Circling around the toilet bowl we go..sorry readers.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway answer the question on whether a transgender person thinks their sex or their gender is wrong and how

This is not aimed at the transgender person themselves but at the gender theory that people bolster their indignancy with.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tautologicus posted:

What's english got to do with it? We're talking about any and all language at this point. You can only make your axiomatic claims within mathematics and then Godel and a couple of other dudes would want a word with you.

Circling around the toilet bowl we go..sorry readers.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
year after year.
Running over the same old ground,
What have we fo-o-o-und?
The same old fears.
Wish you were que-e-e-r.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's k, take a couple days to think about it. I'll be around. Cya thread

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jeza posted:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
year after year.
Running over the same old ground,
What have we fo-o-o-und?
The same old fears.
Wish you were que-e-e-r.

Same

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tautologicus posted:

What's english got to do with it?

Oh-h-h, What's English got to do with it? (Got to do with it)
What's English? But a quaint old-fashioned language
What's English got to do with it? (Got to do with it)
Who needs a word when a word can't be defined?

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

Anyway answer the question on whether a transgender person thinks their sex or their gender is wrong and how

A transgender person's gender (i.e. innate sense of masculinity or femininity or other) don't match their sex (i.e. male or female physical characteristics).

A person's sex can be changed by hormonal alteration and surgery, and there is no proven way to change a person's gender. Thus, the accepted treatment for discomfort caused by being transgender (gender dysphoria) is to change their sex.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
So is everyone just going to get enraged by Tautologicus, or does anyone have any thoughts on the following question that I've asked a few times that keeps going unanswered:

ashgromnies posted:

Then what does "transgender" mean if gender is an oppressive system derived from society rather than anything inherent?

Does it mean you still want to participate in an oppressive system but change your position in it?

I guess that's capitalism too, for working leftists.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

A person's sex can be changed by hormonal alteration and surgery,

No it can't

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

A transgender person's gender (i.e. innate sense of masculinity or femininity or other) don't match their sex (i.e. male or female physical characteristics).

A person's sex can be changed by hormonal alteration and surgery, and there is no proven way to change a person's gender. Thus, the accepted treatment for discomfort caused by being transgender (gender dysphoria) is to change their sex.

What is an innate sense of masculinity or femininity? If someone is born female and a tomboy, are they transgender?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

So is everyone just going to get enraged by Tautologicus, or does anyone have any thoughts on the following question that I've asked a few times that keeps going unanswered:

I can't answer for anyone else, but as I've always understood it sex and gender (in terms of identity) are inherent, but not nearly as black and white as many assume. There are several intersex conditions that muddy the waters, for example.

It's gender roles that are social constructs. The idea that only men do or can do one thing, and only women the other. There are of course some things that only someone genetically female can do, and same for genetically male. But a gender role is something more like the most basic of basic sex stereotypes "Women aren't good at math or science."

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I can't answer for anyone else, but as I've always understood it sex and gender (in terms of identity) are inherent, but not nearly as black and white as many assume. There are several intersex conditions that muddy the waters, for example.

It's gender roles that are social constructs. The idea that only men do or can do one thing, and only women the other. There are of course some things that only someone genetically female can do, and same for genetically male. But a gender role is something more like the most basic of basic sex stereotypes "Women aren't good at math or science."

So you, personally, find "gender is a social construct" to be misleading? Is "gender roles are a social construct" a more appropriate way of saying it?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

"Gender is a social construct" is a complete nonsense if you even think about it rationally for like ten seconds. Gender roles being constructed makes a lot more sense.

If it makes it clearer, gender could be just about replaced in a sentence with male/female brain or mind, distinct from the physical body which is your sex. Gender roles are about what activities and attitudes are labelled as appropriate.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
What does it mean to have a male or female brain?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

What does it mean to have a male or female brain?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201402/brain-differences-between-genders

Some of this will be because of neuroplasticity and hormones. But you get the idea.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When dysphoria is diagnosed, do people go through any brain examination to determine if their 'brain gender' doesn't match their sex or is it just psychological evaluation? What requirements should be met for transition to be a recommended option?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Jeza posted:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201402/brain-differences-between-genders

Some of this will be because of neuroplasticity and hormones. But you get the idea.

First off that's pseudo scientific nonsense: http://www.amazon.com/Delusions-Gender-Society-Neurosexism-Difference/dp/0393340244

But assuming I accept it as true, why does it matter? If a woman has a """male brain""" should she transition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

When dysphoria is diagnosed, do people go through any brain examination to determine if their 'brain gender' doesn't match their sex or is it just psychological evaluation? What requirements should be met for transition to be a recommended option?

As of right now, there's no brain scans or anything for transitioning. Requirements vary depending on the level of transitioning.

For hormones, some will give them simply on informed consent. Many places however require varying lengths of psychological counseling beforehand. Some will also require a period of time living as the target sex, to the degree possible without hormone treatment.

For SRS, including everything from male chest reconstruction and breast impants to vaginplasty and phalloplasty, and even certain plastic surgeries on the face, almost everyone will require you to be on hormonal treatment for some time before hand. And they will also almost always require living as the target sex full time for usually a year beforehand.

For any of that to even start, there needs to be a diagnosis of gender dysphoria in the first place, usually.

There's a lot of usuallys and almost always because some places are more lenient than others in terms of when you'll qualify for, but overall, it's not a simple process.

Back to the topic of brain scans, while they are not regularly done as a part of transitioning, they have been done in various studies about gender dysphoria. I don't have any of them on hand anymore, but it has generally been found that there are brain differences and genetic stuff related to hormones in transgendered people. The studies are still fairly young, though, with the earliest of its sort being in the 90s. So they're not really at a place yet where they could be used as a diagnostic tool.

• Locked thread