Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I've really enjoyed reading most of this thread.

Quad, your response on page 1 is amazing, and I wish it was sufficient to appease the masses. The more recent post on CAIS also offers a good example of how transgendered individuals aren't just "changing their minds" or whatever other euphemisms are at play. As someone 'pegged out on the Kinsey scale', as someone else put it, I don't have any personal anecdotes, but this has helped me understand better how to talk to trans individuals in my life (thought the last one I was aware of was in the '90s, it's a safe bet I'm just unaware.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
I read somewhere that the term 'Anime Marxist' is 'dogwhistle transphobia'. Is this true? And what does it mean?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's a... community? I guess? Of marxist trans women with anime avatars on Tumblr and Twitter. This person, for example. Not to single her out or anything, she was just the only one whose username I could recall.

I don't know what to make of it, myself.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 27, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Unlike:

"I've got a dick but my BRAIN is FEEEMALE!!" :qq:
Could you please expand upon your viewpoint?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

The Valuum posted:

Are there a disproportionate amount of trans in the sex industry?
Often, yes. In many places, it's fully legal to fire (or just not hire in the first place) someone for being trans. Even places where it's not legal, it's easy for an employer to just bullshit up an excuse. One of the few comprehensive surveys on the matter found that 44% of all respondents had been refused a job as a direct result of being trans, and 26% were fired from their current job because of it (Grant, Mottet & Tanis, 2011). So when you have trouble finding work, you start to take drastic measures to make ends meet.

Grant, J., Mottet, L., & Tanis, J. (2011). Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (1st ed., p. 53). Retrieved from http://endtransdiscrimination.org/PDFs/NTDS_Report.pdf

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Often, yes. In many places, it's fully legal to fire (or just not hire in the first place) someone for being trans. Even places where it's not legal, it's easy for an employer to just bullshit up an excuse. One of the few comprehensive surveys on the matter found that 44% of all respondents had been refused a job as a direct result of being trans, and 26% were fired from their current job because of it (Grant, Mottet & Tanis, 2011). So when you have trouble finding work, you start to take drastic measures to make ends meet.

Grant, J., Mottet, L., & Tanis, J. (2011). Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (1st ed., p. 53). Retrieved from http://endtransdiscrimination.org/PDFs/NTDS_Report.pdf

Even with non-discrimination laws in place, in effect isn't it largely still legal to fire someone for being a "protected class" under At-Will Employment if it's impossible to prove their membership in that class was why they were fired?

Seems like an intractable problem to solve through legislation, besides the most flagrant and obvious examples. Sounds like it requires the change of opinions.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 28, 2015

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

ashgromnies posted:

Even with non-discrimination laws in place, in effect isn't it largely still legal to fire someone for being a "protected class" under At-Will Employment if it's impossible to prove their membership in that class was why they were fired?

This would entirely depend on the nature of the business. If say a female strip club had a dancer who decided to transition FtM, obviously they would no longer be able to perform as an erotic female entertainer. This has actually gone to court more than a few times, and having the right "parts" has won every time. Now were that person a cashier at a store, their sexual or gender status in no way affects their ability to do the task, so them being fired for it explicitly would be a lawsuit they would win. No at-will state employer is going to be stupid enough to implicitly fire someone over protected class poo poo though, and the laws are insanely in favor of the employer. If a manger was made uncomfortable by someone being trans, all they would have to do is say "I don't like the watch you are wearing today, you're fired." I've lost jobs because a managers friend needed a job, and was told it was for performance issues, despite my numbers/satisfaction scores/metrics/etc being higher than others, because I was less of a kiss rear end than other people with lower numbers.

/end derail

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Old Man Pants posted:

No at-will state employer is going to be stupid enough to implicitly fire someone over protected class poo poo though

Given that employees win discrimination suits all the time despite every state being at-will, yes they will.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ashgromnies posted:

It just shouldn't matter. A straight man should be down to choke on a dick and catch a load every once in a while, because some women have them.

holy poo poo that's a hosed up opinion

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whorelord posted:

holy poo poo that's a hosed up opinion

he just might not believe what he is saying

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

drat, I never thought about that. You raised another good point with the employment thing. I always figured it would be hard to get a job, especially in certain areas more than others. Can they actually legally do that poo poo? I imagine it wouldn't really matter since it's probably easy to get away with.

I actually thought about that before, around me (rural area) it would be probably impossible to get a job. Even in the city near here I would think it'd be hard. I would guess that trans that are less "passable?" would have a harder time. I stumbled a minute there, is passable the right word?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The Valuum posted:

drat, I never thought about that. You raised another good point with the employment thing. I always figured it would be hard to get a job, especially in certain areas more than others. Can they actually legally do that poo poo? I imagine it wouldn't really matter since it's probably easy to get away with.

I actually thought about that before, around me (rural area) it would be probably impossible to get a job. Even in the city near here I would think it'd be hard. I would guess that trans that are less "passable?" would have a harder time. I stumbled a minute there, is passable the right word?
They can, in fact, actually legally do that poo poo. Only about half of all states plus DC have anti-discrimination laws that cover trans people's employment to some degree (some only protect state employees, some protect state and private both). Everywhere else, both state and private employers alike are free to fire us, refuse our promotions, not hire us in the first place, and so on, due to no reason other than us being trans. That said, it's worth noting that some individual municipalities have their own laws that are more comprehensive than those of their host states. All in all, though, it's a mess and incredibly inconsistent depending where you go. Likewise, even for housing, a lot of places lack anti-discrimination laws, meaning an apartment manager can refuse to rent to you if you're trans.

Of course, non-discrimination laws don't always stop it from happening, they just provide an avenue for the victim to raise hell about it when it does. California is a state that has explicit and comprehensive non-discrimination laws, and yet these things still happen.

But there's good news. Recent court decisions have upheld that various portions of the Civil Rights Act also cover trans people, but for the most part it remains to be seen if courts in non-covering states will actually bother enforcing it.

As for terminology, that's somewhat of a tricky issue. Even within the trans community there's a lot of disagreement, primarily focusing around whether or not the term "passing" has racist connotations since it calls this to some people's minds. Generally speaking "blending" is preferred but a lot of trans people (myself included) don't really give a poo poo which you use.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

As for terminology, that's somewhat of a tricky issue. Even within the trans community there's a lot of disagreement, primarily focusing around whether or not the term "passing" has racist connotations since it calls this to some people's minds.

This is the dumbest poo poo ever. If sexuality becomes race, I think I'd rather leave the planet.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 7, 2015

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo ever. If sexuality becomes race, I think I'd rather leave the planet.
Well, to be fair, I don't think it's just a tumblr thing. There are a lot of trans people of colour who live places where passing for white can still be a big advantage, or who have relatives who've benefitted from it, especially their parents and grandparents back when civil rights for minorities weren't really a thing.

That said, a lot of trans people (even trans people of colour) don't care about connotations or whatever, and in fact I can only think of just a couple that I've met who do compared with a bunch who don't.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That said, a lot of trans people (even trans people of colour) don't care about connotations or whatever, and in fact I can only think of just a couple that I've met who do compared with a bunch who don't.

I don't know if it will ever happen, but ideally we would all look at each other as "person" instead of otherizing them with some dumb label. It seems people are so set on otherizing themselves though.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

I don't know if it will ever happen, but ideally we would all look at each other as "person" instead of otherizing them with some dumb label. It seems people are so set on otherizing themselves though.
While I agree with you about the ideal (and about its unlikeliness of happening), I'm confused about your second point. Are you saying it's trans people who otherize themselves? Because I'm pretty sure it's society as a whole (and particularly lawmakers and/or law enforcement) that does that. In fact I'm pretty sure that's who otherizes most minorities.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Old Man Pants posted:

I do have to agree with this for the most part. "Passing" is hardly a slur, it's commonly used, and I don't see a real need to change it.

Besides it can refer to more than one thing at the same time too so I really don't get the issue here.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

SRS has progressed to a point that the result is exactly as functional as an infertile cis person.

The last I heard, this was true for MtF but far less so for FtM, leading to many transmen opting not to have bottom surgery. Has that changed recently, or were you only commenting on MtF?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Functional, maybe, but the aesthetics are still wrong, something is still just a little bit off. And having genitals be a little bit off is a really strange thing to experience. These people are fooling themselves.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Wow. This thread is hostile as gently caress. I.. Guess I should have expected that?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vagon posted:

Wow. This thread is hostile as gently caress. I.. Guess I should have expected that?

Probably has something to due with the quality of responses ranging from 'pretty drat good' to 'pretty drat awful'.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

Functional, maybe, but the aesthetics are still wrong, something is still just a little bit off. And having genitals be a little bit off is a really strange thing to experience. These people are fooling themselves.

Who even looks closely at a vagina before sticking their dick in it, lol? No one I've had sex with.

Regardless though, if you take some chick's pants off and she has a bad neovagina, you can just split for the same reason as if she had an ugly biological vagina and it turned you off. Onlookers might say "what a stupid reason" but that doesn't prevent you from having the right to do it. I think of this issue as being much like having sex with a biracial person who passes as white. If a racist was dating one and found out about their heritage down the line and split, that's their right. You should be able to withdraw consent or end a relationship for any reason. But if they liked the person physically and emotionally up until that point, onlookers should be allowed to say (and would be correct in saying) "she broke up with him solely because of her racial ideology."

There is the fertility issue, of course, although it's not really limited to transpeople. So if that's the only issue, it would be more consistent to reject both trans girls and infertile cis women. No one is stopping you from being inconsistent if you want to, though... we just might point it out.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Where can I read some counter-arguments to anti-trans feminist claims like "[SRS] is an attempt to keep gender stereotypes intact", "transsexuals still subscribe to the traditional stereotype of women", "[trans people construct] a conservative fantasy of what women should be. They are inventing an essence of womanhood which is deeply insulting and restrictive, " or "All transsexuals rape women's bodies by reducing the real female form to an artifact, appropriating this body for themselves ..."

I can't find specific refutations to those claims, instead arguments that modern feminism should generally be more inclusive. And I doubt these particular feminists are talking about genderqueer people, more the people like Caitlyn Jenner who embrace a socially constructed expression of gender as part of a solution to their dysmorphia.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

http://theterfs.com/ hosts a collection of well-argued primers on this garbage.

Also I know Rationalwiki is hardly 100% decent but their page on feminist rhetoric being used as a cloak for transphobia makes a bunch of salient points.

quote:

[...] they slam transgender people in general for "reifying the gender binary." Considering the transgender population is about 1 in 30,000, accusing the transgender community of reifying nearly any oppressive construct is patently absurd and this is obvious to anyone with the most basic understanding of math and group dynamics.

quote:

Cathy Brennan, for example, literally believes not only that trans women are men, but that they are therefore de facto animals who cannot control themselves (all typos in original):[21]

transgender woman are in fact men using an artificialy constructed feminine apperance to exert patriarchy from the inside of feminism and believe it or not, to gain access to womans bathrooms in order to rape them.

Because no logical argument can be made that maintains their beliefs, they instead make memes.[22] All of this is highly ironic, since by doing all this they are objectifying women's bodies and saying men are not to blame for their actions because "instincts". Never mind the actual numbers, of course, which show that trans women are one of the groups most likely to be abused and raped.[23][24]

Come to think of it, are there any contemporary schools of feminist thought that use similar reasoning to prop up racism and/or homophobia? All that immediately comes to mind is Redstockings but as far as I know they mostly stopped being a thing as it became less and less acceptable to publicly assert things like "gay women are only doing it for political reasons".

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

unlimited shrimp posted:

Where can I read some counter-arguments to anti-trans feminist claims like "[SRS] is an attempt to keep gender stereotypes intact", "transsexuals still subscribe to the traditional stereotype of women", "[trans people construct] a conservative fantasy of what women should be. They are inventing an essence of womanhood which is deeply insulting and restrictive, " or "All transsexuals rape women's bodies by reducing the real female form to an artifact, appropriating this body for themselves ..."

I can't find specific refutations to those claims, instead arguments that modern feminism should generally be more inclusive. And I doubt these particular feminists are talking about genderqueer people, more the people like Caitlyn Jenner who embrace a socially constructed expression of gender as part of a solution to their dysmorphia.
It might be productive to read about choice feminism. It's commonly formulated as saying any choice women make are feminist choices, which is clearly stupid, but the point is that deliberately accepting certain gender roles is not necessarily anti-feminist. If you want to wear makeup do it, there's no rule you need to not wear makeup to fight the expectation that women wear makeup. The logical conclusion of those arguments have uncomfortable implications for all women.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Thanks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Who even looks closely at a vagina before sticking their dick in it, lol? No one I've had sex with.

You should always give a quick look for sores or whatnot. It's just common sense.

Calling this for my noise-rock band name.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the ideal place to ask this, or if there's a better trans discussion thread somewhere. A person I'm very close to is interested in looking into transitioning and has a lot of unanswered questions. I'm trying to help them find stories and advice from other m2f folks, and S.A. is usually the most useful site for finding personal accounts and information, so figured I'd try my luck here.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
The e/n thread would be better.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

And having genitals be a little bit off is a really strange thing to experience.

You don't say?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

You don't say?

Hey, this is the kind of insight you get here in Ask/Tell.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Tautologicus posted:

Sex and gender have standard definitions. The point of scientific definitions is that they are standard. No one gets to choose their definition, because then words lose all meaning. Especially when someone is being indignant about their ideology questioned and can suddenly say "well that's just my definition!" Suddenly you get the sense that you're flailing at shadows.

Gender does not have any sort of "standard definition". If you ask 100 "men" what it means to "be a man" you will get 100 different answers. You'll also get different answers if you ask 100 "women" what it means to "be a woman". And if you ask these questions in different countries, you'll get different answers as well.

Gender is one of those things that "everyone knows" or "everyone accepts" without questioning it. I'm currently reading Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality. That author uses the Greek word doxa for things that people treat as facts but are really "things that everyone knows". The book goes into the attempt to come up with "scientific" definitions for all sorts of things, such as sexual behavior, and not all 19th Century attempts at defining science are recognized as legitimate (phrenology for example). In the beginning, the word "heterosexual" meant someone who had sex with both men and women; today we call such people "bisexual". Early writers trying to identify what is normal tended to follow Catholic Cannon Law which only permitted sex that was capable of producing pregnancy.

Gender is also something that isn't really taught, like math. Instead it is what children learn from seeing adults behave with each other and towards children. One book that goes into this in some good detail is Being Boys; Being Girls: Learning masculinities and femininities I think one passage from that book illustrates how gender gets taught:

quote:

Staff distinctly discouraged amorous relationships between pairs of boys, less so between girls and boys, and hardly at all between girls, revealing here, possibly unconsciously, a public homophobic attitude towards the boys while perhaps seeing the girls' behaviour in a non-sexual or sexually passive way.
This chapter was about ages 3-7. There is no syllabus where parents and teachers set out to pass on their beliefs to their children. Instead they have ideas of how "boys" and "girls" should behave, how "boys with boys" , "girls with girls" and "girls with boys" should behave. Sometimes it is explicitly stated in forms like "big boys don't cry" or "man up". That's gender.

If you ask 100 "men" whether it is acceptable or not for men to cry, you will get different answers depending on whether the questioner is male or female, and whether other males can hear the answer. That's gender.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is this where we can ask questions about trans stuff?

Okay, I don't really see how it's any of my business if someone is a man or a woman. But I have a serious question about youth sports.

My daughter plays on a sports team that consists of girls up to the age of 18. On the team is an 18 year old trans man (woman?). I don't really think it's an issue for teams where all the participants are pre-puberty. But while this person may be a woman, physically is a 6 foot man playing against much smaller and weaker opponents.

My concern is that I don't want to have my daughter, or others, get seriously hurt by someone who is physically a grown man. But I don't know if I'll be making myself some kind of target for even mentioning it.

Should I just keep my mouth shut and accept that this is a thing now?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Would you be concerned about your daughter playing with a cis girl of the same size? I went to high school with a girl who was 6' 1", and saw a couple others in the hallways who were about that tall, and that was just at one school.

If the answer is yes, you would be, then I think your problem is less about whether or not the person is trans, and more about just "okay that's pretty big." If no, then you should probably factor in that trans women (as one is called when one is transitioning from male bodied to female bodied) who've been on hormones long enough (exact time varies from person to person, but for me it was noticeable after six months) often end up with lower testosterone levels than cis women, since we take medicines to block either its production or its reception, depending which specific med, with a corresponding decrease in ability to put on and retain muscle mass.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Would you be concerned about your daughter playing with a cis girl of the same size? I went to high school with a girl who was 6' 1", and saw a couple others in the hallways who were about that tall, and that was just at one school.

If the answer is yes, you would be, then I think your problem is less about whether or not the person is trans, and more about just "okay that's pretty big." If no, then you should probably factor in that trans women (as one is called when one is transitioning from male bodied to female bodied) who've been on hormones long enough (exact time varies from person to person, but for me it was noticeable after six months) often end up with lower testosterone levels than cis women, since we take medicines to block either its production or its reception, depending which specific med, with a corresponding decrease in ability to put on and retain muscle mass.

I honestly have not seen a cis woman as big as a cis man irl. I know there are some big tough women out there, but I don't personally know them. Also, this "transitioning" you're talking about, is it something they allow minors to do? This person, and others, are not doing any of that. I'm assuming that is for adults.

And for the record, yes, I'd be very concerned if 170+ lb girls were playing against 80 lb girls. As someone who's been involved in sports his entire life, that's insane to me to have that kind of size/strength/weight disparity in a contact sport.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

I honestly have not seen a cis woman as big as a cis man irl. I know there are some big tough women out there, but I don't personally know them. Also, this "transitioning" you're talking about, is it something they allow minors to do? This person, and others, are not doing any of that. I'm assuming that is for adults.

And for the record, yes, I'd be very concerned if 170+ lb girls were playing against 80 lb girls. As someone who's been involved in sports his entire life, that's insane to me to have that kind of size/strength/weight disparity in a contact sport.
How sure are you that the person in question isn't transitioning? Minors are often allowed to undergo gender transition, because gender dysphoria is a medical condition and transitioning is a treatment that's proven to be effective in a vast majority of cases irrespective of age, so why wouldn't they be? Now, minors do often need parental permission, as they do for many other medical procedures, even other necessary ones, simply because they're minors, and most doctors require either their own evaluation of the patient or a letter from their therapist before starting hormone replacement therapy even regardless of age. However, I personally know a couple people who started on HRT at 16 or 17, and there was a trans dude at my high school who started on testosterone late in his junior year, so it actually is entirely possible that the person in question is on HRT as well, unless you've specifically asked someone who would know for sure.

That being said, I would hope that the sports league your daughter plays in has size classes for their various sports, because in that regard you're right, someone who's 6 feet tall and 170 pounds against someone who's half that weight would be unsporting and dangerous, regardless of whether that person's trans or cis.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It's not even close to fair.

Boys have a huge physical advantage over girls in sports. Allowing trans girls to play sports with biological girls is opening a can of worms that I'd imagine that we'll deal with eventually, but to suggest that it's remotely close to a fair contest is hilarious at best. To that end, it shouldn't be allowed. The game shouldn't be weighted in the favor of the team with the trans woman for gender identity reasons.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

How sure are you that the person in question isn't transitioning? Minors are often allowed to undergo gender transition, because gender dysphoria is a medical condition and transitioning is a treatment that's proven to be effective in a vast majority of cases irrespective of age, so why wouldn't they be? Now, minors do often need parental permission, as they do for many other medical procedures, even other necessary ones, simply because they're minors, and most doctors require either their own evaluation of the patient or a letter from their therapist before starting hormone replacement therapy even regardless of age. However, I personally know a couple people who started on HRT at 16 or 17, and there was a trans dude at my high school who started on testosterone late in his junior year, so it actually is entirely possible that the person in question is on HRT as well, unless you've specifically asked someone who would know for sure.

That I did not know. I haven't asked, and there are no outward signs. He's still a big man with a loud voice. And honestly, the only trans person I've ever met (i've got some gay friends who dress up occasionally, but they just think it's a funny thing to do sometimes).

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That being said, I would hope that the sports league your daughter plays in has size classes for their various sports, because in that regard you're right, someone who's 6 feet tall and 170 pounds against someone who's half that weight would be unsporting and dangerous, regardless of whether that person's trans or cis.

No, they don't. It's roller derby and the girls team is 8 years old to 18. I think, for me, it's that the teen girls are pretty thin and wiry even after puberty. But teen boys, start looking like football linebackers after puberty.

I guess I'll bring it up as a size/safety issue rather than "Hey! Why are there grown men playing against little girls?!?".

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
She. If she's on the girl's team, she's a she.

She's probably at least on hormone blockers, if she's out to her parents and at school and she's going to lose all that muscle mass pretty rapidly.

There are beefy cis women and tiny, wiry cis men, just FYI. Not all cis men become linebackers the moment the testosterone hits and it's a weird generalisation to make. And there are girls with loud voices, too. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's not even close to fair.

Boys have a huge physical advantage over girls in sports. Allowing trans girls to play sports with biological girls is opening a can of worms that I'd imagine that we'll deal with eventually, but to suggest that it's remotely close to a fair contest is hilarious at best. To that end, it shouldn't be allowed. The game shouldn't be weighted in the favor of the team with the trans woman for gender identity reasons.

You should do a little bit of reading:

The NCAA posted:

It is also important to know that any strength and endurance advantages a transgender woman arguably may have as a result of her prior testosterone levels dissipate after about one year of estrogen or testosterone-suppression therapy. According to medical experts on this issue, the assumption that a transgender woman competing on a women's team would have a competitive advantage outside the range of performance and competitive advantage or disadvantage that already exists among female athletes is not supported by evidence.

I think the IOC requires 2 years, but the point being this is something people have thought about, and hormones are effective at removing the advantage transwomen would otherwise have. Transwomen are allowed to compete, and have been for a while now (IOC ruling was in 2004 if I remember right), but there are no world class transwoman athletes. By your argument, they should be dominating.

• Locked thread