Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

One thing that I kinda wondered: do transguys have it easier or harder than transwomen? A drinking buddy of mine is a transguy and his response was that he wasn't sure, but it seemed like it was easier to 'pass' as a dude than as a woman. He's also a libertarian.

On the other hand Boys Don't Cry and all that.

Personally, I think it's easier to be a trans man for the following reasons:

- male puberty has more irreversible secondary sexual characteristic changes than female puberty such as hair growth, vocal changes, etc so post-puberty hormone therapy does a better job at making trans men pass

-hormone replacement therapy is cheaper and simpler for trans men

- the average person is more aware of trans women than trans men, so is more likely to overlook "tells" of transness in men

- trans men have it a lot easier if they don't pass, because it's much more socially acceptable for women to wear men's clothes than the converse

- because of these factors + sexism, on average trans women make 30% less income post-transition, but trans men make about the same

Otoh sexual reassignment surgery generally has worse results for trans men, for obvious practical reasons. So trans men are more likely to never get SRS, which can cause additional problems in areas where that's a legal prerequisite to get gender changed on your identifying documents. But other than that, I think they get the better break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

In my ignorant opinion about "being tricked", shouldn't you be honest and say that you're trans BEFORE dating someone?

The only reason my trans status should be a dealbreaker is sex-related. And that's fair enough. But there are a lot of other things that are likely to be sexual dealbreakers (fetishes, widely differing libidos, etc.) and nobody's expected to disclose those before the first date -- in fact, doing so would be creepy and overly forward.

Also, waiting 'til you know your date a bit better to disclose your trans status helps screen out bigots and blabbermouths. It's much easier to be trans when the whole world doesn't know about it.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

What are we all supposed to accept about transgendered people?

Transgender people don't all agree on this :ssh:

Tautologicus posted:

It's fine to live your life the way you want to live (I guess), but don't go inflicting it on everyone else. Fortunately I only see it on the internet or if I go looking for it since culture in the US is so fragmented.

How are trans people "inflicting" anything on you, if the only time you notice transgenderism is when you go looking for it?

• Locked thread