Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MI:1 was the best, but I guess you had to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

Motorcycle joust transitioning into leaping grapple and then both men somehow flying off the side of a cliff at the same time while their bikes explode. To begin the fight.

John Woo owns.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
We Hate Movies is doing a Mission Impossible watch-a-thon right now if you want to listen to three more nerds talk about what's good and what isn't. They just did MI:2 as well!

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
No Mission Impossible movie without Henry Czerny in it can possibly be called the best Mission Impossible movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Payndz posted:

You have to wonder what they got out of putting their lives at risk with no legal or diplomatic recourse.

Was it Briggs or Phelps who had that boss apartment with the cool sailboat models? They were clearly all willing to go through a lot to get a chance to hang out in the coolest place in town. :colbert:

It kinda sucked when they replaced Landau with Nimoy, Nimoy was fine but Landau really worked as the guy who usually did the lion's share of the work because Briggs/Phelps were the guys who came up with the overarching plan and set everything in motion.

Phelps: Barney, you build a device to warn us if anyone is coming. Cinnamon, distract them when they come. Willy, if Cinnamon can't distract them then beat them up. Rollin... you do absolutely everything else.

Edit: I guess pre-the first film, Ethan Hunt was the modern successor to Rollin and Paris.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 14, 2015

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

It kinda sucked when they replaced Landau with Nimoy, Nimoy was fine but Landau really worked as the guy who usually did the lion's share of the work because Briggs/Phelps were the guys who came up with the overarching plan and set everything in motion.

Phelps: Barney, you build a device to warn us if anyone is coming. Cinnamon, distract them when they come. Willy, if Cinnamon can't distract them then beat them up. Rollin... you do absolutely everything else.
One of the first season episodes had Briggs do nothing but get the briefing, then send Rollin and Cinammon into enemy territory to carry out the entire mission on their own. The man knew how to delegate.

EDIT: they could have made the villain of the first M:I movie Briggs rather than Phelps, because that was like having Captain Kirk turn out to be the bad guy of the first Star Trek movie and then killing him off, while nobody gave a poo poo about Briggs. But then, most people don't remember that Briggs even existed, so...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 14, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
To the credit of 2, that rock climbing scene is pretty great. And 3 has the scene where Ethan is trying to get his wife to electrocute him, said he's just giving a really quick mundane explanation of how to use his pistol, like I think he compares it to "the flashlight in the kitchen."

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
My favorite MI scene is in 3 when they sneak into the Vatican. That was awesome. Also PSH is so loving awesome.

MI3 > MI4 > MI1 > MI2

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
MI3 > MI4 > MI5 > MI1 > MI2

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Just got back from seeing the new one. I had high hopes based on early reviews but I have to say, I was distinctly underwhelmed.

I'm a big fan of the original series, but largely because structurally, they're heist stories, where the thrill comes from seeing a complex infiltration play out, and the characters improvise if necessary. The movie series' high points for me have been when it's most resembled this (the Vatican in 3, the Kremlin and Burj in 4), but those types of routines were totally missing in this one. (There was one 'aha' moment but it was more a reveal than seeing a plan unfold).

Essentially, it's back to the MI:2 mould of being a runny-shooty-crashy movie with buzzwords like "intel" and "disavowed" thrown around. It's a very good runny-shooty-crashy movie, just like Jack Reacher, but it fulfilled my fears when I heard the director of that one was helming this.

It feels like a big backwards step from the very taut and stylish Ghost Protocol, and suffers to an even greater extent that film's problem of having an extremely weak villain. It's a shame Christopher McQuarrie shot his villain load with Werner Herzog in Jack Reacher, because someone like him would have injected some much needed interest into the villain's scenes.

Also, speaking of stylish, the costumes and props in this film were terrible. Cruise and Renner's suits in particular looked like awful baggy poo poo and everyone used ugly Nokia phones, and there was a shockingly egregious moment of product placement from Microsoft.

There were also groans in my cinema at the totally shameless plagiarism towards the end of the movie where a character is strapped into a suicide vest and has to relay the villain over an earpiece, exactly like in Sherlock, which did it much better.

In summary, 4 > 3 >1 > 5 > 2

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I really hate ranking the MI movies because 1 is so different from 3 and 4 it's not fair.

That said, this movie really felt like the individual parts were great but when you add it all up, it's just missing that touch that Abrams or Bird would have had. All the individual action scenes were great. The underwater one had me holding my breath too. The plane was a great opening gag. The chases were brutal. Add it all up though, and it did feel off.

edit: gently caress it. 1,3,4,5,2

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Matinee posted:

The movie series' high points for me have been when it's most resembled this (the Vatican in 3, the Kremlin and Burj in 4), but those types of routines were totally missing in this one. (There was one 'aha' moment but it was more a reveal than seeing a plan unfold).

Essentially, it's back to the MI:2 mould of being a runny-shooty-crashy movie with buzzwords like "intel" and "disavowed" thrown around. It's a very good runny-shooty-crashy movie, just like Jack Reacher, but it fulfilled my fears when I heard the director of that one was helming this.

The Vienna opera house scene and the whole Morocco power plant scene were good spy-heist style scenes I thought. (Also they are called "action" movies if you want to sound like an adult discussing the genre in the future)

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I liked the very 'spy movie' trappings of the opera scene, sure - largely because I'm a sucker for any movie which has guns disguised as everyday objects.

But I thought the Morocco bits were a bit flat. Considering it's "The Big Score" of the movie, it felt like an airless (pun kinda intended) retread of the computer vault from 1, even down to the "what if" shown during the briefing. Even the original had an extra ripple of complexity with the spiking of the guy's coffee etc. Here it was just 'Ethan swims for a bit, Benji walks down a corridor'.

As much as I like the chemistry between Cruise and Pegg, the movie suffered for the lack of a full team working together for the most part. The draw of a Mission Impossible film should be the choreography between team members - there was nothing in this movie as dynamic as the embassy in 1, the party in 4, or, hell, even the racetrack stuff in 2. I know I'm judging heavily against previous films but this one felt more consciously like a greatest-hits cover album so I feel it invites the criticism.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fun action filled movie that just kept doing stuff in till the end. Was really surprised how many scenes and twists they put in.

The Opera part reminded me about the Hitman: Blood Money level.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 31, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, the opera scene was amazing, I think it's up there with some of the best parts of the other MI films. I actually liked Morocco, the extended chase scene is fun with how it developed, and it switched stuff up enough that it didn't get old. I do wish it had a more involved break-in segment, with more synchronized teamwork and phases to the plan, but oh well.

To throw it in with the rest of the series, I'd say: 1 > 4 = 5 > 3 > 2.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm bummed to see so many people think MI2 was the worst. I absolutely loved that movie when I was younger, but haven't seen it since, so maybe I was just a sucker for John Woo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm bummed to see so many people think MI2 was the worst. I absolutely loved that movie when I was younger, but haven't seen it since, so maybe I was just a sucker for John Woo.

It's a bit of a mess.

I want to see the three-hour cut that John Woo submitted before Paramount freaked out and brought Stuart Baird in.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
just saw the new Mission Impossible and it was good fun, about on par with the last few

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rouge Nation was...I guess good. But man, these movies don't work if you don't have a director going crazy with the camera. I like McQuarrie a lot, but his style just doesn't work for me here. These movies plots are always just dull as gently caress. You need that kinentic energy to keep it moving so you don't notice it. Or maybe that's just me. RN is a good looking movie, but I wish it was had more 'umph' to the whole thing rather than just the action scenes. (Which were great).

Ghost Protocol is still my favorite of the series.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 1, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ghostwritingduck posted:

It's goofy as hell, but that works for it. And it has an amazing score, scenes, and cinematography. If it came out now, everyone would love it because of the current age of Jurassic World type "so ridiculous, it's good," but back in the early 2000s, not many people were watching movies in that mindset (Asian films were doing that at the time, though, especially Chinese), so it was a big letdown to people expecting more of a spy thriller.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
The new one was pretty good, you can actually count on recent Tom Cruise to make a decent action movie compared to some other actors. I would say the movie is on par with 4, maybe a bit less big action as 4. My ranking of the MI movies would be 3, 5, 4, 1, and then 2.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The entire audacious Burj act in 4 elevates that movie to a nigh-unassailable pinnacle, only slightly let down by the fact that they didn't get Vanessa Redgrave back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Of all the characters that should have come back, it's gotta be Kittridge. That dude is a stone cold motherfucker. The scene in the restaurant is amazing. I just watched it today.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Wow, Rogue Nation was incredibly good. I was really pleased to see a solid action flick in 2015 with so numerously well done plot twists & set pieces—holy poo poo. Most of them I didn't even see coming. The reactions of the audience in my theater were positive, too. :) The villain had a creepy demeanor to him and I just realized he was in Prometheus as the guy with tattoos on his head. The Opera scene and the motorcycle chase in particular stood out.

Also count me in here as being surprised about the negative reception MI2 has among goons.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

Of all the characters that should have come back, it's gotta be Kittridge. That dude is a stone cold motherfucker. The scene in the restaurant is amazing. I just watched it today.

He was brilliant in that movie, he seemed like a bad guy without actually being the bad guy. (Putting Ethan's mom in jail was a dick move tho)

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder how much of people ragging on 2 is because the one thing that always comes to mind is the utter crashing idiocy of the motorcycle joust.

I think it actually stands up very well with the caveat it was very much a product of its time (Limp Bizkit did the theme tune FFS), and because I have the nostalgia from watching it at an age when John Woo was the coolest poo poo ever.

It's the only movie that does the 'recruiting someone with a specific skill to the team' thing from the TV show and has a nice sense of style to everything. Everyone seems to have very smart grey jackets.

It also pulls the 'oh snap it was someone else in a mask!' thing like, five times throughout, which is totally loving hilarious.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 1, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
MI:2 isn't really bad so much as it's... weird. Very much the oddball in the series.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

LORD OF BUTT posted:

MI:2 isn't really bad so much as it's... weird. Very much the oddball in the series.

I wonder if there's a correlation between opinions of MI2 and Face Off.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Did anyone else notice a bunch of shots which were unusually noisy, or seemed to have the wrong black point?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Matinee posted:

I think it actually stands up very well with the caveat it was very much a product of its time (Limp Bizkit did the theme tune FFS), and because I have the nostalgia from watching it at an age when John Woo was the coolest poo poo ever.

Soo... any age pretty much

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ghostwritingduck posted:

Face/Off and M:I-2 both own your face.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ghostwritingduck posted:

Are there people that don't like Face/Off?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Broken Arrow was amazing too. I like the song that played whenever Travolta's villain made an entrance. :D

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

josh04 posted:

Did anyone else notice a bunch of shots which were unusually noisy, or seemed to have the wrong black point?

Yeah most of the night-time scenes (obviously) were really noisy and some of the scenes in the beginning (might have been throughout the film and I just got used to it). The movie was entertaining but it felt a tad too long, or it dragged just enough to make your brain get anxious in that 'they should wrap this about now' -kind of way.
The opera scene, underwater stuff and the long chase scene were all awesome, except I was really bothered by the cgi traffic on the highway. Great action, crazy stunts, globetrotting, espionage, heists, twists and turns at every corner; as cliche as that all sounds, it's always executed in a way that you can tell a lot of love and effort went into this. You can see the actors really having fun with the stuff; Jeremy Renner seemed much more relaxed and at ease as Brandt than he was in Age of Ultron despite being the "heart" of that film. Heart is in quotes because that film didn't have any. It's refreshing to see action films where you actually fear for the characters' lives despite the main character being Tom Cruise, not Ethan Hunt or whatever it is. It's interesting.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I ended up seeing this last night as well. I'm going to agree with what another poster said and note that the individual parts are great, but the whole doesn't have quite that same overall sense of awe. I loved the tension of the underwater scene, and the opera infiltration as a whole was great. It was especially great seeing it with two musicians who couldn't stop freaking out in amazement at the bass flute rifle. It overall doesn't quite add up to 4, which is my favorite at this point, but it comes decently close.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
One thing I didn't like about Rogue Nation is that it didn't really feel like it had high stakes. The premise was a global shadow organization that can infiltrate the IMF and has done a bunch of crazy stuff worldwide. But then in the movie they aren't currently planning anything and Ethan is just trying to keep $2 billion out of their hands so they might be able to do some stuff in the future. The only stakes in the climax are the main character's lives. Pretty low key for a series that tried to nuke San Fran last time out.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Zero One posted:

One thing I didn't like about Rogue Nation is that it didn't really feel like it had high stakes. The premise was a global shadow organization that can infiltrate the IMF and has done a bunch of crazy stuff worldwide. But then in the movie they aren't currently planning anything and Ethan is just trying to keep $2 billion out of their hands so they might be able to do some stuff in the future. The only stakes in the climax are the main character's lives. Pretty low key for a series that tried to nuke San Fran last time out.

Plus, you know, having the specter of actual thermonuclear Armageddon hanging in the background.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah,

Plus in the end there isn't even a fight or showdown with the villain. He just falls into their box and they drive him away. It was like the ending of a kid's TV show where they can't show death.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Zero One posted:

Yeah,

Plus in the end there isn't even a fight or showdown with the villain. He just falls into their box and they drive him away. It was like the ending of a kid's TV show where they can't show death.

I actually liked that ending and when you think about, that was kind of the only way to end it. I mean how many times can you end these films with Cruise fighting with the henchmen/or the villain in some highly elaborate place and at the last moment defeating them?
You can read more about the ending and other interesting things from the film in this *spoilerific* interview with McQuarrie:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ations-20150801

I like how candid he is about the filming and everything. Seems like a cool dude.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

My experience was tainted by someone sitting behind me who laughed through about 95% of the movie, made worse by him having a very annoying laugh. He was laughing during the fight scenes (he thought the entire opera scene was HILARIOUS), during the talking scenes, when that girl came out of the pool in a bikini, during the chase scene, and whenever they showed Ving Rhames. People kept looking at him and even asked him politely to shut up, but I don't think his English was very good.

I thought the movie had some good ideas, but I wish they had actually finished a few of the big set pieces (e.g. parachuting out of the airplane with the bombs and what happened after the hatch was opened underwater).

Edit: I didn't have a problem with the ending at all. It made sense given events earlier in the movie.

the truth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread