Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm really glad to have confirmation that we're going to get some kind of romantic resolution before the ending of the series--having a character say, "Let's keep things exactly the way they are" so Hikigaya can explicitly reject it seems like a pretty definite statement in that direction.

(come on eleventh-hour Iroha ending)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Einander posted:

(come on eleventh-hour Saika ending)

ftfy

Hocus Pocus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 27, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
We missed a valuable opportunity for a dog cameo. At least we got the sharks.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That was a beautiful episode about the Service Club's growing pains and how far they've come, ending with the reaffirmation of their bonds despite the certainty of wounded feelings in the near future. Just aces all around.

And now the wait begins Took two seasons, but now we finally know who best girl is:

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Well that sure failed to resolve poo poo. Indeed, it specifically went out of its way to deny the concept of resolution while setting up a cliffhanger of all things.

Really glad I decided to start reading the novels and thus might actually get some closure before 2017.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

man if women grow up to look like their mothers the choice seems easily made

yuigahamama ftw

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I refuse to make a choice until I have seen Iroha's mother.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Davincie posted:

yuigahamama ftw

Yui-mom is truly a force to be reckoned with.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress. Not cool, anime. Not cool at all. :arghfist::(

Davincie posted:

yuigahamama ftw

It's not just about having the bigger baps, it's also about not screwing over your progeny so badly that they end up as emotionally stunted as... you know. Getting voiced by Sayaka Ohara also helps. :3:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The real question this raises is if Yui's hair color is natural since her mom's is the same.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Ethiser posted:

The real question this raises is if Yui's hair color is natural since her mom's is the same.

is this your first time watching anime or something?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I just assume everyone in anime is wearing a wig.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Actually I think its brought up that Yui's hair was dark when 8man jumped in front of a car for her dog, and I think its shown that way in season 1 when they flash back to it. Maybe her mother dyed her hair to match her daughter's and is living vicariously through her? Maybe its an anime?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This loving anime.

Welp, see you guys in two or thee years. :suicide:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sakurazuka posted:

This loving anime.

Welp, see you guys in two or thee years. :suicide:

Don't delude yourself, they have no motivation to make a third season that resolves things.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

Don't delude yourself, they have no motivation to make a third season that resolves things.
Did they have a motivation to make a second season.

Good things can happen!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the series is ending either with the next book of the one after that afaik so they'll probably just throw out some ovas

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

the series is ending either with the next book of the one after that afaik so they'll probably just throw out some ovas

I can cope with this.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Davincie posted:

I find this acceptable. Can't wait.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Davincie posted:

I doubt it. Having rest the books they don't cover as much material as you'd think. Not to mention I don't expect them to simply abandon whatever the gently caress the plot is with Hayama.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Angry Grimace posted:

I doubt it. Having rest the books they don't cover as much material as you'd think. Not to mention I don't expect them to simply abandon whatever the gently caress the plot is with Hayama.

I dunno, I think Hiyama's pretty much resolved: he's decided that he's fine continuing to meet the expectations of others, and he's going to keep living as he is. He's decided to trust in Hikigaya to take care of Yukino.

Not every type of character development makes a character resolve to change--some people just grow to accept their situation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hicki smiled and was genuinely happy at things! :catstare:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
His enthusiasm for penguins and hammerhead sharks cracked me up.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Coaaab posted:

Hammerhead sharks are cool, even if they're complete assholes. By contrast, penguins are pure awesome.

God that entire zoo scene is pretty great.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Coaaab posted:

every self respecting man loves hammerhead sharks and penguins

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Inflammatory posted:

is this your first time watching anime or something?

Its stated in the novel that Yui's hair is dyed, actually.

Einander posted:

I dunno, I think Hiyama's pretty much resolved: he's decided that he's fine continuing to meet the expectations of others, and he's going to keep living as he is. He's decided to trust in Hikigaya to take care of Yukino.

Not every type of character development makes a character resolve to change--some people just grow to accept their situation.
I just think there's more to it than that - it might be tied in with Yukino's plot, but I don't think they close to resolved Hayama's plot (or even Isshiki's for that matter).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hello, hello alone. :smith:

Twiddy posted:

By contrast, penguins are pure awesome.

This is true.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thresher sharks are cooler than hammerhead sharks because they have really long tail fins.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This loving season was goddamn dental work. I can't believe anyone enjoys this. Like I feel bad for the people who had to earn a living by working on it. Congrats on not cringing to death I guess. Heechman should have joined the student council and ditched the downer twins and the over-involved older sister forever.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Davincie posted:

Do we have confirmation on that? I'd be happy if they resolved things pretty quickly, I feel like the show went already to the tipping point. All that's left is resolution. A few OVAs would be a nice end.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

kater posted:

This loving season was goddamn dental work. I can't believe anyone enjoys this. Like I feel bad for the people who had to earn a living by working on it. Congrats on not cringing to death I guess. Heechman should have joined the student council and ditched the downer twins and the over-involved older sister forever.

Yeah, I feel this. I mean, I still liked the season, and felt that it gave good payoff for things the first season set up, but it was painful to watch at times.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

I don't remember there being any twins in this show.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It was epic but it would have worked better if it ended with the genuine speech arc

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It was epic but it would have worked better if it ended with the genuine speech arc

That's a really good idea and I agree.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Cake Attack posted:

Probably, yeah. The Destinyland trip would've made a decent epilogue-type episode followed by wrapping up the student council arc through Irohas' rejection and the Christmas event.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I feel this. I mean, I still liked the season, and felt that it gave good payoff for things the first season set up, but it was painful to watch at times.
Being painful to watch is the main appeal for me, actually? When the first season started making me feel genuinely bad that was when I decided I was interested. The way it occasionally manages to capture familiar social interactions or evoke feelings you remember is something I don't think anime tends to achieve, if only because the target audience or tone are different. Most of the stuff that happens in the show feels 'earned' somehow because as a whole it's really mundane.

I think I agree with the people who say the season should have ended around the 'genuine' speech. That was a really powerful moment. The amusement park trip could have worked well as a closer after that. The content they managed to plow through afterward was interesting, but it trails off on an odd note... maybe just because it was more heavily focused on romance than the show usually is.

When I compare it with other shows I associate with Bad Feelings like Yurikuma or Madoka or Psycho-pass, those shows mostly get me to react through having a hosed up setting or horribly broken characters, but Oregairu doesn't work that way. I think Hourou Musuko might have been the last show to evoke the same sort of feeling for me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think if they intended to ditch the show to a no-ending, they would have just made one up right there instead of ending on a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger which sucked and was mostly Yui saying a bunch of anime-talk about her feelings and Yukino's feelings, all of which we had to just guess or go off assumptions with.

I obviously just liked the end of this season way less than you guys did.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yui ending confirmed

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Twiddy posted:

By contrast, penguins are pure awesome.

pack it in, yukinoailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010