Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I really wish the freaking light novels were available in English. Here's to hoping the BD sales are good enough to spawn yet a third season.

I'm also a Yui fan. I have a sneaky suspicious feeling that Yukino is already engaged anyway -- probably to Hayama. They're probably like, "We're going to have to get married one day anyway, so let's spend as much time apart as possible now."

Yes. Haruna needs to start hanging out with adults her own age. Maybe she should move away to college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Didn't Hayama say that the first initial of the person he likes is 'H'. Or am I misremembering that/read a bad translation?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Y pretty sure

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Get that harem ending, Yui. I believe in you.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

From what I can tell from reading this thread is that the show ends on a cliffhanger ending. So maybe I won't watch the last two episodes and just pretend that Yui and the H-man get together.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
In my mind everyone's smile is protected

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brutakas posted:

Didn't Hayama say that the first initial of the person he likes is 'H'. Or am I misremembering that/read a bad translation?

He says "Y", but I think in the overall context of the show it's more likely that he means Yukinoshita Haruno. I'm sure he has some sort of incredibly complicated relationship with both sisters, but he generally expresses jealousy that Haruno finds Hikki interesting, while he's perfectly fine with entrusting Yukino to him. Happy, even. Also, way back in the first season, Haruno said something like "so she wasn't chosen this time either." (In response to Hikki being on a date with Yui at the fireworks festival)

The impression I get is that Yukino liked Hayato way back when they were kids, but he rejected her in favor of her sister. Which of course also contributed to Yukino's inferiority complex. Hayato still likes Haruno, but she doesn't like him because he's "boring" in the same sense that she criticized Hikki for last episode. Meanwhile, Hayato also feels really bad for whatever he did to Yukino's social life (maybe other girls bullied her for being too close to him...?), and he deeply appreciates Hikki for being there for her in a way he couldn't. For her part, Yukino is totally over Hayato by now, but is still insecure about it because she thinks it might jeopardize her budding relationship with Hikki.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 29, 2015

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

chumbler posted:

Get that harem ending, Yui. I believe in you.
She deserves it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Coaaab posted:

She deserves it.

Looks like she's hiding a boombox under the covers there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yui's fervent and earnest heart of a maiden in love beats louder than any loudspeaker can.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For real though, Yui is the real hero of this story and deserves her ideal ending. Hachiman has been slowly growing less cowardly though, which is good, and Yukino's very obvious anxiety and insecurity as she lost her ability to krrp up her facade have made her a bit more sympathetic (it just should've happened before like the last two episodes). This episode was brutally on the nose about her issues. This show definitely needs a third season or at least a couple OVAs, in which Yui wins, naturally. Overall I really enjoyed watching this.

Also Yuimom is great.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Clarste posted:

He says "Y", but I think in the overall context of the show it's more likely that he means Yukinoshita Haruno. I'm sure he has some sort of incredibly complicated relationship with both sisters, but he generally expresses jealousy that Haruno finds Hikki interesting, while he's perfectly fine with entrusting Yukino to him. Happy, even. Also, way back in the first season, Haruno said something like "so she wasn't chosen this time either." (In response to Hikki being on a date with Yui at the fireworks festival)

The impression I get is that Yukino liked Hayato way back when they were kids, but he rejected her in favor of her sister. Which of course also contributed to Yukino's inferiority complex. Hayato still likes Haruno, but she doesn't like him because he's "boring" in the same sense that she criticized Hikki for last episode. Meanwhile, Hayato also feels really bad for whatever he did to Yukino's social life (maybe other girls bullied her for being too close to him...?), and he deeply appreciates Hikki for being there for her in a way he couldn't. For her part, Yukino is totally over Hayato by now, but is still insecure about it because she thinks it might jeopardize her budding relationship with Hikki.

This theory also makes Haruno's joke at the end of season 1/volume 6 ("I'm not sure Yukino deserves you, Hikigaya-kun, so I might just have to keep you for myself") completely awful, which is equally strong evidence for and against (because it's Haruno).

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Every scene Haruno's in winds up feeling like a complete asspull to me because she as a character is almost too loving ridiculous to exist.

It might be a fault of the anime and not the source material, but in the show she just appears and says exactly the wrong thing to bump the plot along the most uncomfortable path, like a dramatic impetus engine.

She doesn't feel like an organic part of the plot at all. She might as well just teleport into and out of scenes with a dramatic flourish and maybe a mic drop at the end.

Stop lingering around your former high school you weirdo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Shere posted:

Every scene Haruno's in winds up feeling like a complete asspull to me because she as a character is almost too loving ridiculous to exist.

It might be a fault of the anime and not the source material, but in the show she just appears and says exactly the wrong thing to bump the plot along the most uncomfortable path, like a dramatic impetus engine.

She doesn't feel like an organic part of the plot at all. She might as well just teleport into and out of scenes with a dramatic flourish and maybe a mic drop at the end.

I agree completely

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shere posted:

Isn't the whole reason she hangs around her former high school due to the fact that the high school is an annex for the college she's attending?

I mean, it still doesn't justify her showing up all the drat time, but it could be kinda understandable.

What's not justifiable is how she sees the whole 'rivalry' with her sister as something endearing. The fact that Yukino was / still is super closed-off is probably mostly Haruno's fault, and she still has the gall of being a humongous shithead to both her and Hayama.

She kinda feels more like a girl-version of Izaya... except Izaya is kinda amusing because of his dickery. Could she have a similar raison d'être? That she just can't help herself?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
This "problem" really only showed up this season, right? I don't remember Haruno being as important in Season 1, or more importantly she wasn't just everywhere. The only thing that was somewhat out of place that I remember was her being a dick to Hayama.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was present in the first season, just not as ubiquitous. It wasn't good then, either, but it hadn't well overstayed its welcome yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why are people so hung up on her hanging around in high school. there were alumni hanging around all the time at my high school, its not that weird

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

why are people so hung up on her hanging around in high school. there were alumni hanging around all the time at my high school, its not that weird

It's... kind of really weird. I think I went back once the year after I graduated to hang out with some friends, and it was a bit weird (also I substituted there a few times more recently, which was odd in a different way). Going frequently is strange and creepy, especially when her only purpose in doing so is to poo poo on her sister's shoes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but doesn't she mostly meet her sister/her sister's friends around town or when she's asked to sit in on event meetings. I don't recall her just hanging out with them often

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i thought it was weird when i thought she was in her 20s but i read that she's 19 aka basically a teenager so...

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
also that she seems to have her little sister's entire social circle on speed dial, up to and including 8man's little sister.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Haruno's pretty necessary to the story given that she's the only one that values discord over keeping the peace in S2. Hachiman and Yukino, who were the abrasive elements that caused the important conflicts in the previous season, gradually get defanged throughout this one, thus requiring another of the characters to stand up and point out their flaws before they can take action. This is especially important considering that complacency in maintaining the status quo is clearly the theme of the season; since all the inside elements have a vested interest in not creating conflict, the conflict necessarily has to come from somewhere outside that still carries a degree of importance.

Unrelated, but I also like how the author decided to write her with Hachiman, Yui and Yukino's strongest skills, being immensely perceptive, a social chameleon, and generally capable all at once. It simultaneously displays what each of them lack, demonstrates that those traits aren't inherently a good thing, and allows her to act as a foil to basically anyone the story needs her to be.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

gently caress! This show was good! I didn't really like the ending either but they seem to be setting up something focusing a lot more on the group's underlying problems but I'm not sure if that's enough for an entire third season.

From what I've gathered from the thread the LNs are just fan translations, are there any hopes of them ever getting an official translation?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

From what I've gathered from the thread the LNs are just fan translations, are there any hopes of them ever getting an official translation?
Yen Press announced at AX that they've picked it up. :sigh:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

Yen Press announced at AX that they've picked it up. :sigh:

I'm ignorant to this and stateside LNs in general but I'm guessing this a bad thing? Why is that?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
It's not a bad thing, I'm not sure why hotwings thinks it is.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's a mixed-blessing for me. In the long term, it's good 'cause we can support the author, have officials books, etc. In the short term, it sucks 'cause fan translation projects stop due to cease and desists and all translations up 'til now get taken down. In this case, we'll never see a vol 12 translation for years.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I can understand that, but I think it's worth it when you consider just how deeply awful fan-translations are.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Hopefully they get done properly and not too slowly. I'll definitely pick those up. Hopefully a nice bluray collection comes out as well since I hate having money.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

watho posted:

Hopefully they get done properly and not too slowly. I'll definitely pick those up. Hopefully a nice bluray collection comes out as well since I hate having money.
My guess, and this is just a guess as I know nothing about the Japanese -> English publishing business, is that this whole LN to English thingy is fairly new. As English speakers begin to buy more LNs and the Japanese begin to see profits rise, we'll see more LN translations and faster at that.

I don't know anything about the translation business, so I can't judge. However, seems like someone who put their mind to it could properly translate a slim LN from JP to EN in less than four months with all the edits and such, if they were really fluent in both languages.

Being patient is tough though. Might be easier to learn Japanese.... And faster.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
It's always faster to learn Japanese, than wait for translations. LNs aren't a new thing, way back when the Haruhi and Spice and Wolf LNs (perhaps a couple others I forgot) were translated. But Yen Press wasn't getting the right sales for them back then, so it didn't become much of a thing, so they continued focusing on Manga.

It wasn't until the last couple years or so, that they've tried in earnest again. They've been quoted saying in an article that the market is ready for LNs now, but they weren't several years ago, and their numbers reflect that.

So as a result, you're seeing more and more LNs being picked up by Yen Press each year.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'll probably pick up the light novels if they get translated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cubemario posted:

It's always faster to learn Japanese, than wait for translations. LNs aren't a new thing, way back when the Haruhi and Spice and Wolf LNs (perhaps a couple others I forgot) were translated. But Yen Press wasn't getting the right sales for them back then, so it didn't become much of a thing, so they continued focusing on Manga.

It wasn't until the last couple years or so, that they've tried in earnest again. They've been quoted saying in an article that the market is ready for LNs now, but they weren't several years ago, and their numbers reflect that.

So as a result, you're seeing more and more LNs being picked up by Yen Press each year.

At first, I was surprised to find out that some of my favorite old-school animes (Dirty Pair, Slayers, LOGH, and Eternal Filena, for example) were originally Light Novels. I think that, as a form of entertainment, Light Novels have been somewhat popular for a while. It's just that as of recently, fan translations have been popping up like crazy. One of my friends in Tokyo swears that she has a Street Fighter Zero official novel which is pretty much Bakemonogatari 10 years before it came out, only with Sakura and Ryu in place of Senjougahara and ze' Aryaragi (sorry, I stuttered).

Back to the 8man, Yuki-Onna and Ya-Hello, while I enjoyed this season way more than I did the first, I don't actually think this is going to get a third season, which kinda saddens me, because Studio Feel really stepped up their game and brought a really fun, cringe-worthy ride to the end destination. If we ever get a bone thrown our way, at most, I think this could probably get a few OVA/ONA's to finish the series like it happened with that one show with Mamiko Noto playing a Mary-Sue very nice young lady with an otaku hobby.

Also, I'm curious as to what / and how much the Anime left out from the novels and if it's worth it. Should I start throwing money at my Japanese friends so that they can get me the novels or should I wait until Yen Press releases their version?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Wark Say posted:

Also, I'm curious as to what / and how much the Anime left out from the novels and if it's worth it. Should I start throwing money at my Japanese friends so that they can get me the novels or should I wait until Yen Press releases their version?
I don't think anything too major was cut out, but if you love the characters & want more of their interactions or can't get enough of Hachiman's internal monologues, then get to the LNs ASAP.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I find Hachiman to be a really compelling character, even though in reality he's not all that different from the standard LN / Harem manga protagonist, at least early on. Part of what I really enjoy about him is just how he bounces off of people. Also, the dude voicing him (Takuya Eguchi, also responsible for voicing the MANLIEST MAN THIS SEASON) did a really good job in making him sound awkward. Like he's already ready to follow on the steps of Kenta "Thor" Miyake or Hiroki Yasumoto and he's able to do really deep, badass voices, but he can also sound hella awkward, cringe-worthy and you loving buy it when he does it.

gently caress. Now I want a third season to happen.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Like you, I don't think any future source material will be enough for an entire third season, but with first week sales of 10K for the S2 Vol. 1 BD and 120K for the Vol. 11 LN, an animated continuation feels within reach. Not guaranteed but within reach.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 6, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would watch an entire season of Yui being happy and having fun with her harem with zero plot development.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really don't want them to continue if they don't have a clear goal or central theme to work with. Though it isn't like they haven't been building up at least 4 different stories where they'll need to destroy the status quo so I don't doubt that they have themes to work with if they decide to make a continuation.

Also, I really want to learn Japanese at some point, it's mostly just a matter of how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cubemario posted:

I can understand that, but I think it's worth it when you consider just how deeply awful fan-translations are.
For me, it's a hit or miss with official translations as well, and I get certain nitpicky about certain things that I tend to see regarding official translations. A good example is translating honorifics to Mr/Mrs, which usually doesn't work out because English titles and Japanese honorifics don't have the same sort of connotation. Another annoyance is trying to hamfist cultural references to fit Western culture (ie. Steins;Gate's translation of "super hacker" to "l33t h4x0r," which is absolutely ridiculous.) The Frog-kun guy from NanoDesu griped about Yen Press' "No Game No Life" translation, though the quality issues seem to be in the minority for Yen Press, as far as I'm aware.

I think Spyro generally did a good job with his translation, and given the multitude of cultural references in the LN, I like that he kept the references and just added footnotes to explain things rather than doing the fit-into-Western-culture thing. I'm just praying to god that whoever's working on oregairu doesn't gently caress it up in some cringe-worthy fashion. Only time will tell, I suppose. On the other hand, it looks like Yen Press' publication of SAO is being released at a rate of 3 novels/year. If oregairu goes at that pace, I'll be fine with dealing with the wait for the most part...

• Locked thread