Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ah a thread for this, good. I'm glad this is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Clarste posted:

As for the episode itself, I guess they're clearly following up on the theme of him constantly sacrificing himself because he doesn't realize that other people might care about him, but it's not entirely clear to me how what he did this time counts as self-sacrifice. Is being fake-rejected by a girl you don't really like supposed to be painful? Did this damage his social situation in any way? I just don't get it.

He didn't hurt himself, he hurt Yui and wont/cant recognize her feelings.

E: Does anyone know how much source material there is / how much is left?

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 11, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Einander posted:

Yeah, actually I got the nuance all wrong. Second try: he used solving Tobe's problem as a pretext to create an atmosphere in which Yui couldn't possibly confess to him, preserving the status quo in the Service Club.

I like your analysis a lot (both posts), very insightful. I don't think he purposefully preserved the status quo in his group via the false confession, but that could be because I don't want that to be the case.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Mad Lupine posted:

I never saw what 8man did as a way to indirectly reject Yui. Not intentionally anyways. I subscribe to the thought that he did what he did because it's the only way he knows how to solve problems.

When all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was Yukino's big sister right? She's scary.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was a great episode. It seems our hero read between the lines and understood Yui's declaration. Also Hayato is cool. He's smart too.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Razzled posted:

e: Also god drat Hayato wasn't kidding when he said Haruno likes to thoroughly crush people she doesn't like. She basically took these two girls who were being lovely to Hikigaya and made their idol of affection tell them they are the worst and should shut up.

I guess she (evil sister) was in on the plan. Or maybe it was her idea? E: It seemed like it was Hayato's idea, but maybe big sister just made him think that.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Razzled posted:

I think you hit the nail on the head about hikigaya. He's built up this very robust self assured solidarity to protect himself from being hurt again and that is now his biggest obstacle course in self growth. In order to move forward he has to bring down his defenses and leave himself vulnerable again and believe that his friends will be there to hold him up this time.

That's how I see it so far anyway

You're exactly right. That's why that teacher put him in the club in the first place, because that kind of thing wont happen while he's secluding himself.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Classy Hydra posted:

Hikigaya is much the opposite, in that he can and does care for the well being of others but insists on framing himself in ways where he must be hated.

Nice analysis. That was a good post.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I really liked the scene where Yui moved her chair over

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Shere posted:

I'm a bit late watching this episode but, yeah holy poo poo, that was a right hook from nowhere. The whole thing had me going, like Yeah Hiki, that's the way to be! Solve the problem without hurting anyone. Positivity! And then the "right" answer makes the whole thing look like a bad joke and the punchline is that he instantly shuts it out. Goddamn.

I don't get it. What does he say?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Clarste posted:

The choice to move the narrative focus away from the club is an interesting one. Marginalizing Yukino even more.

The club is dead but it hasn't hit the ground yet. E: The dynamic they were trying to save has irreversibly changed. It's over.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Are we supposed to know what's going on with Yukino yet?

I don't know. She's a really anime character, so maybe it's something like she's hiding that she has to go overseas or something equally dumb.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I think she's seemed off since the school trip and seems to be getting worse, like it's a combination of things. I dunno.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Clarste posted:

I think the idea is that she really did want to be student council president, if only because of the taunting of her sister, or maybe Meguri's machinations, and Hachiman took that path away from her. Since of course she can't possibly just admit that and run for president anyway. The little speech at the end of the previous episode was about how some people only act when given a reason to.

Being asked to help out the position that she was supposed to be in herself just opens up that old wound, which Hachiman noticed and tried to mitigate by keeping her uninvolved.

This makes sense but I thought she didn't want to be president. Her sister was just messing with her.

E: Update quote for politeness.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Einander posted:

That's what Hikigaya thought, too, which is why this blindsided him; he realized in hindsight that Yukino knew a strange amount about the duties of Student Council President and how to run even before she seemed to make the decision.

I thought that's because she's helped out the Council before or was on some other Council or something (can't remember the details now). If she really did want to run, then this makes me like her even less because she's so gutless.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Clarste posted:

Her hypocrisy is the whole point of her character, isn't it?

Is it? I don't know. (I'm not good at this).

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dan7el posted:

Did Hina Ebina indicate to Hachiman after the botched confession incident that she might be amenable to a relationship with Hachiman himself even though she generally wasn't interested in any relationships because she considers herself a bad girl? I'm not sure I understood that either.

Yeah she did. He realized that and indirectly turned her down.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Part of the charm of the show is that things aren't explicitly spelled out and you do have to work out what people are thinking.

Definitely, and I enjoy reading everyone's take on it as well.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Kaelan Zero posted:

The way I interpreted that conversation is that she views herself as irredeemable and views him the same way, so she thinks they're compatible as a result of that - they'd be on even footing and would view each other as equals.

This was my interpretation as well. I don't think that it's fair to call that settling though.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Classy Hydra posted:

Rather, the point is growing up with that mindset is hilariously unhealthy and liable to send you spiralling into depression as you get older and interpersonal relationships get increasingly important/serious. The "stakes" at risk are Hikigaya going through highschool and becoming set in his ways, almost certainly leading to a sad and disappointing life with periodic flashbacks of regrets of things he failed to do in highschool (much as we get periodic reminders about his failures in middle school). The stakes of individual events are generally measured by how much they pull Hiki towards or away from that ultimate destiny.

:smithicide:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

E: Wrong thing (ignore this)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What breakthrough / final step are you guys expecting?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Wowee, what a good episode.

E: They shoulda hugged hikki

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 22, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

this show is really good, it turns out

yes, it is

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It might be a little too subtle. My wife was having a hard time figuring out why Hachiman and Yukino were fighting in the first place.

Why are the fighting in the first place? I forgot, that was weeks ago.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What process do you follow to analyse the work? Do you re-watch it? I feel bad that I can't type something like that out and forget a lot of the details after a few days.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I read what other people write in this thread and hope they're right. :v:

Ah, this must be what they call meta-analysis. ;)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Kaelan Zero posted:

In this context, the opening bits from the visual novel are pretty great (around 3:30 - 4:00 ish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphVWHdzyck
Her voice actress does a good job with the lines.

Wow cool there's a VN.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Silvain posted:

I pay attention and I still don't know what's going on. More importantly, I don't know who 8man wants to bang.

He acknowledged the teacher. He wants the teacher.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 28, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

chumbler posted:

Also sorry ladies in the show, it is now ridiculously apparent that he is gayer than the day is long.

Do you really think he's gay?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Yukino doesn't come across as a potential love interest to me.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

MrAptronym posted:

Personally I am rooting for Yui, I like all the characters pretty well though and wouldn't be unhappy with any outcome as long as Tobe winds up alone.

Aww that's rough. Tobe seems like a good guy, I like how he honestly believes the hero's name is Hikitani.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

chumbler posted:

Yukino got some badly needed character development, though. She has so far been the most disappointing character in the show for me, mainly because she feels less like a possible person than just a bunch of traits thrown together for narrative convenience.

Yeah, Yukino is the worst character by far.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

sore aru!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks for posting about the little scenes from the VN that were cut. It helps a lot. It's hard to understand Yukino from the anime alone.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was a nice episode. I like Yukino a bit more now. It was cute that she was wearing the mittens. :3:
I have to laugh at everyone gettin' an arts degree. They went through all this to end up posting to tumblr.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Go science or go home :colbert:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

chumbler posted:

The conflict is Hikki realizing there is someone who genuinely, without any pretense or other motive, likes him and him accepting that and not going after goddamn Yukino even though that's probably what he's going to do.

I hope not. Yukino should get friendzoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'll probably pick up the light novels if they get translated.

• Locked thread