Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So for all of the talk about the first season of the College Football Playoff and that four teams was okay but it'd really be better if it was eight teams, I say gently caress that poo poo. Let's take all one hundred twenty-eight teams that played D1 football this past season and let's have ourselves a big-rear end tournament and really find out who deserved to win this year probably alabama sadly

This here be the bracket https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GoFW5xdPIcc-sFAIaGwsfqArgJSzmui1Bmm3y3j58Iw/edit?usp=sharing. You'll need to download your own version to make any edits.

If you're wondering why the hell Ohio State isn't #1, I did the rankings using some Power Index Poll thingy ESPN had on their website. It was the only thing that actually ranked every team since the BCS is over and I figure it'll work well enough.

If you saw the Every Team NCAA Tournament I did before, first why, second I figured we needed some kind of gambling to go along with it, hence the convenient bracket in the link above. Scoring will be done via the usual rules, one point for the first round, two for the second, onto sixty-four for getting the champ right. Winner gets not a goddamn thing unless someone else wants to put up a prize because I ain't spending money on you cocksuckers I gots bills to pay.

I'll give everyone a week or so to enter, and in the meantime I'll try to write some mini team capsules and insult each and every one of these cocksuckers.

Any questions go gently caress yourself ask here. Have fun everyone!!!!!:)

edit - I should probably mention that I'll be using WhatIfSports to sim the games and everything will be on a neutral field, that's important to disclose I suppose.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So do we enter this by posting our usernames on that site in this thread for an invite? I'm SAPakled.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

C. Everett Koop posted:

really find out who deserved to win this year probably alabama sadly

If they deserved it they would have loving won it, considering they got into the 4 team tournament

gently caress bama

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Eliminate the regular season and just have a big rear end tournament every year

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I came up with a system like this last time the playoff stuff came around. I threw in a double elimination tournament, too. Every team plays 3 or 4 exhibition games which helps seed them into the double elim tournament. Once a team is eliminated, the rest of their schedule is filled out with other teams elminated in their round. Anyone with a winning record gets a 13th game in the form of a bowl.

It was a pretty clever system if I do say so myself.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I signed up for bracketcloud but I don't know how to make picks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, I'm starting to think bracketcloud might not have been a good idea, or at least one more bad idea thrown onto the pile. Does anybody know of a better service, or would I be better off making everything in Google Docs and sharing it that way?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Set up an off site wiki and make me a mod

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I added my picks as a comment for every matchup which was p tedious so yeah literally anything else would be better. if there's a better way to make picks within that bracket system I couldn't find it anywhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well we had a good run :unsmith:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So I ended up doing it out by hand in Google Docs because golf is boring. Link is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GoFW5xdPIcc-sFAIaGwsfqArgJSzmui1Bmm3y3j58Iw/edit?usp=sharing and also in the OP. You'll need to download your own copy, whether you want to share a link here or email it to SASmediasheep at gmail is up to you, I've got no issue just using the honor system since we ain't playing for nothing.

I'll keep entries open until next Monday and start it soon there after. Have fun everyone that's what's important!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

C. Everett Koop posted:

So I ended up doing it out by hand in Google Docs because golf is boring. Link is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GoFW5xdPIcc-sFAIaGwsfqArgJSzmui1Bmm3y3j58Iw/edit?usp=sharing and also in the OP. You'll need to download your own copy, whether you want to share a link here or email it to SASmediasheep at gmail is up to you, I've got no issue just using the honor system since we ain't playing for nothing.

I'll keep entries open until next Monday and start it soon there after. Have fun everyone that's what's important!

I think there's a typo in this. Virginia Tech is supposed to be in the Auburn group, but on its sheet you've got Virginia instead.

My entry is coming up shortly.

e: And here it is.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 13, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pakled posted:

I think there's a typo in this. Virginia Tech is supposed to be in the Auburn group, but on its sheet you've got Virginia instead.

My entry is coming up shortly.

e: And here it is.

Yeah, that's Virginia Tech against Fresno in the Auburn region. My bad.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I probably won't ever actually fill it out but Tennessee wins it in my bracket

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to think bracketcloud might not have been a good idea, or at least one more bad idea thrown onto the pile. Does anybody know of a better service, or would I be better off making everything in Google Docs and sharing it that way?

Challonge is a pretty simple and easy one. You just paste in a list your teams from 1 to 128 and it spits out a bracket for you. And it handles predictions, too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Febreeze posted:

If they deserved it they would have loving won it, considering they got into the 4 team tournament

gently caress bama

Mel Mudkiper posted:

kayakyakr posted:

I came up with a system like this last time the playoff stuff came around. I threw in a double elimination tournament, too. Every team plays 3 or 4 exhibition games which helps seed them into the double elim tournament. Once a team is eliminated, the rest of their schedule is filled out with other teams elminated in their round. Anyone with a winning record gets a 13th game in the form of a bowl.

It was a pretty clever system if I do say so myself.

This was every thought I had in this order

:tipshat:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Well, thanks to all one of you for entering, so Pakled wins by default! If only the prize was something other than nothing. Ah well, let's get started!

Round of 128 - Oregon Region

1: Oregon (13-2, 8-1 Pac-12, won Rose Bowl, lost National Championship) vs. 16: Eastern Michigan (2-10, 1-7 MAC, no bowl)

Oregon never really gas-pedals the Eagles but they don't need to, Marcus Mariota throwing for 240 yards and 2 TDs and EMU never getting anything going as Oregon easily advances.

8: Navy (8-5, Indep, won Poinsettia Bowl) vs. 9: Rutgers, 8-5, 3-5 Big Ten, won Quick Lane Bowl)

The Midshipmen rush for 500 yards on a porous Scarlet Knights D en route to a 38-24 victory. 3 different players have 70+ yard individual rushes while Gary Nova throws to the wrong team four times.

4: West Virginia (7-6, 5-4 Big 12, lost Liberty Bowl) vs. 13: Old Dominion (6-6, 4-4 C-USA, no bowl)

ODU hangs around with the Mountaineers with the game tied at 20 at the half. WVU gets two 4th Quarter touchdowns to pull ahead 37-27 with 1:47 left to go, but the Monarchs score with 43 ticks left on the clock. They can't recover the onside kick and the Mountaineers hold on to win 37-34.

5: Tennessee (7-6, 3-5 SEC, won Taxslayer Bowl) vs. 12: Bowling Green (7-6, 5-3 MAC, won Camellia Bowl)

Von Pearson hauls in two TD receptions and 109 yards as the Vols hammer BG 48-17. Josh Dobson throws no INTs and runs for 96 yards and a TD to help out his teams effort.

2: Oklahoma (8-5, 5-4 Big 12, lost Russell Athletic Bowl) vs. 15: New Mexico (4-8, 2-6 MWC, no bowl)

Lobos have no answer for Samaje Perrine, who runs for 199 and and a pair of scores. However, New Mexico does pick off Trevor Knight three times and hang around until a Sooner TD with eight minutes to go finally puts this one away 34-24.

7: Boston College (7-6, 4-4 ACC, lost Pinstripe Bowl) vs. 10: Rice (8-5, 5-3, won Hawai'i Bowl)

422 yards on the ground for BC grinds Rice up into dust as the Eagles easily prevail 51-10. Jon Hilliman goes for 145 and two of the five rushing TDs Boston College had. Rice's band was said to be entertaining, at least.

3: LSU (8-5, 4-4 SEC, lost Music City Bowl) vs. 14: Ohio (6-6, 4-4 MAC, no bowl)

The offensive numbers aren't impressive and that helps the team from the MAC, as the LSU D can't make any plays. Bobcats lead 10-3 at the break and 13-3 after 3, LSU gets a TD with 4:42 left to go but miss the game-tying 53 yard FG with 1:22 left and their final drive goes nowhere, as we get our first upset of the tournament.

6: Houston (8-5, 5-3 AAC, won Armed Forces Bowl) vs. 11: San Diego State (7-6, 5-3 MWC, lost Poinsettia Bowl)

Houston controls for the first three quarters but the Aztecs rally for two TDs in the 4th to get the comeback upset 31-21, ensuring that a double-digit seed will make the round of 32. SDST sack John O'Korn 4 times and pick him once, which helps overcome their own three turnovers.

Round of 64 matchups in the Oregon Region:

1: Oregon vs. 8: Navy
4: West Virginia vs. 5: Tennessee
2: Oklahoma vs. 7: Boston College
14: Ohio vs. 11: San Diego State

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
LSU got MAC'd :lol:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Should switch around to home fields for all but the final 4.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sidenote: with WhatIfSports, there used to be an option to e-mail the results of a game, which I used to post a link in the thread when I ran my bigass NCAA Basketball tournament. I don't see that option anymore, anyone know of where it went or any other way I can share the results TIA?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Les Miles didn't eat any grass.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Well we had a good run :unsmith:

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Sidenote: with WhatIfSports, there used to be an option to e-mail the results of a game, which I used to post a link in the thread when I ran my bigass NCAA Basketball tournament. I don't see that option anymore, anyone know of where it went or any other way I can share the results TIA?

If you hover over the Share tab at the bottom and click "More", a box will appear with a link.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Arkhams Razor posted:

If you hover over the Share tab at the bottom and click "More", a box will appear with a link.

I don't have a share tab, just save game and print boxscore which doesn't work. Ah well.

ROUND OF 128 - ALABAMA REGION

1: Alabama (12-1, 7-1 SEC, lost Sugar Bowl) vs. 16: Georgia State (1-11, 0-8 Sun Belt, no bowl)

I know this'll shock the poo poo out of everyone but Alabama chocked the life out of their opponent 35-3. No one had spectacular stats but Bama controlled every aspect of the game.

8: Washington State (3-9, 2-7 Pac-12, no bowl) vs. 9: Utah State (10-4, 6-2 MWC, won New Mexico Bowl)

A 31-13 4th Quarter lead saw Wazzu actually stop throwing the ball and try to run the clock out for once. Needless to say, this backfired as it allowed the Aggies to get back into the game. However, the clock expired before the Cougars' D did, as the final touchdown came with 0:00 left and Washington State still up 37-34.

4: Miami (6-7, 3-5 ACC, lost Independence Bowl) vs. 13: Ball State (5-7, 4-4 MAC, no bowl)

Duke Johnson put Da U on his back, rushing for 210 yards and a pair of short scores as Miami blew out BallSoHard U 51-13. Brad Kayaa wasn't accurate, just 21-40, but he threw for 3 TDs and avoided any turnovers while the Miami D hounded Cardinals QB Jack Milas.

5: South Carolina (7-6, 3-5 SEC, won Independence Bowl) vs. 12: South Alabama (6-7, 5-3 Sun Belt, lost Camellia Bowl)

The upset-minded Jaguars had the better individual numbers, but it's hard to overcome turnovers, especially when they lead to 99 yard Pick Six's, and that was the key to the Gamecock's 38-31 win. This sets up a rematch of the IRL Independence Bowl, which is something I'm sure we all very much wanted.

2: Arkansas (7-6, 2-6 SEC, won Texas Bowl) vs. 15: Wyoming (4-8, 2-6 MWC, no bowl)

Before anyone asks, I have no clue how bert and Co. ranked as high as they did and earned a 2 seed. That said, it was still a game early in the 4th Quarter as a Wyoming FG made it a 21-20 Razorbacks lead. Then the Hogs added two late touchdowns to cap a 35-20 win. bert celebrated with a couple mayo on white bread sandwiches.

7: Cal (5-7, 3-6 Pac-12, no bowl) vs. 10: Indiana (4-8, 1-7 Big Ten, no bowl)

If this happened at a neutral stadium IRL it might draw 50 people. At best. Here, the Hoosiers took ability of the Golden Bears' inability to stop a nosebleed to rack up almost 500 yards of total offense and won big, 38-13. 5 sacks and a pick helped too.

3: Kansas State (9-4, 7-2 Big 12, lost Alamo Bowl) vs. 14: San Jose State (3-9, 2-6 MWC, no bowl)

It was close going into the 4th, K-State holding onto a 20-14 lead. Then Bill Snyder's wizard powers kicked in and his team ripped off two quick TDs to put the game away, winning 38-21. Charles Jones ran for 155 and two scores and while the Wildcats recorded six sacks, they also gave up 322 yards of passing.

6: Michigan (5-7, 3-5 Big Ten, no bowl) vs. 11: Arkansas State (7-6, 5-3 Sun Belt, lost GoDaddy Bowl)

44-16. How Michigan, a team that couldn't move a ball forward on an empty field, put up 44 on a decent Sun Belt team is beyond me. Devin Gardner wasn't an embarrassment, the D got six sacks, and that stupid lummox didn't kill any of his players. I hate this region.

Round of 64 Matchups - Alabama Region

1: Alabama vs. 8: Washington State
4: Miami vs. 5: South Carolina
2: Arkansas vs. 10: Indiana
3: Kansas State vs. 6: Michigan

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ROUND OF 128 - OHIO STATE REGION

1: Ohio State (14-1, 8-0 Big Ten, won Rose Bowl, National Champions) vs. 16: New Mexico State (2-10, 1-7 Sun Belt, no bowl)

If you came looking for an absolute assbeating, you'd be disappointed. Ezekiel Elliott and his abs do rush for 188 yards and two TDs and the Buckeyes do roll 37-13, but it's closer than it probably should have been.

8: Oregon State (5-7, 2-7 Pac-12, no bowl) vs. 9: Texas Tech (4-8, 2-7 Big 12, no bowl)

The first quarter was explosive, with the Beavers leading 21-14 after 15 minutes of play. It slowed down in the 2nd and 3rd before Oregon State finally broke the Red Raiders for 23 in the 4th, winning 58-21. It also included the ultimate dick move of Oregon State kicking a field goal with 0:00s on the clock instead of dropping the knee, so props to you sim for that straight up heel move.

4: Nebraska (9-4, 5-3 Big Ten, lost Holiday Bowl) vs. 13: Vanderbilt (3-9, 0-8 SEC, no bowl)

Nebraska might have been a team primed for a first round upset, but a Vandy team that struck midnight once James Franklin left for Penn State was not going to be the ones to pull it off as the Huskers won 30-10. Huskers barely cracked 300 yards of total offense so they're not out of the woods yet. Ameer Abdullah had a good game with 163 yards on the ground and a trip to the promised land.

5: Boise State (12-2, 7-1 MWC, won Fiesta Bowl) vs. 12: UTEP (7-6, 5-3 C-USA, lost New Mexico Bowl)

Boise blanked UTEP in the 1st half while scoring 33 points themselves and made the 2nd half academic en route to a 46-21 victory. The Bluefielders forced the Miner QBs into 8-32 passing, picking them off twice while surrendering two passing scores.

2: Stanford (8-5, 5-4 Pac-12, won Foster Farms Bowl) vs. 15: Tulsa (2-10, 2-6 AAC, no bowl)

Tulsa tried to run the ball 43 times. Stanford only allowed them 60 yards. You don't win games with stats like that and the Golden Hurricane didn't as the Cardinal move on 35-6. Kevin Hogan was fine, throwing for just under 300 yards and three scores.

7: Oklahoma State (7-6, 4-5 Big 12, won Cactus Bowl) vs. 10: Western Kentucky (8-5, 4-4 C-USA, won Bahamas Bowl)

A big second quarter from the Hilltoppers broke the Cowboys, who meekly fall 27-7. There was no score after 1, WKU scored early in the second but two touchdowns in the final 90 seconds of the half did in Mike Gundy's squad. Daxx Garman only threw for 197 yards, which in the spread offense is kinda bad.

3: Georgia Tech (11-3, 6-2, won Orange Bowl) vs. 14: FAU (3-9, 2-6 C-USA, no bowl)

FAU held a 21-20 halftime lead and it seemed like another major team could bite the dust. But the Wreck started Ramblin' in the second half, regained the lead off two TDs in the 3rd, and held on to win 38-27. Jackets did throw 13 times, which seems wrong.

6: Cincinnati (9-4, 7-1 AAC, lost Military Bowl) vs. 11: Illinois (6-7, 3-5 Big Ten, lost Heart of Dallas Bowl)

Here's a regional matchup that wouldn't move 50 tickets. Illini do move the ball, as they score 17 points in the 1st, 3rd and 4th Quarters to roll 51-17. Gunner Kiel got picked off 3 times as Tubs looks to see if a good FCS job is open in the middle of some Skyline.

Round of 64 Matchups - Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State vs. 8: Oregon State
4: Nebraska vs. 5: Boise State
2: Stanford vs. 10: Western Kentucky
3: Georgia Tech vs. 11: Illinois

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
21 points? Fire Kliff!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ROUND OF 128 - TCU REGION

1: TCU (12-1, 8-1 Big 12, won Peach Bowl) vs. 16: SMU (1-11, 1-7 AAC, no bowl)

When I set these matchups up, I was more concerned with trying to avoid conference matchups in the first two rounds than anything else, and as such we end up with the Battle of Dallas/Ft. Worth between TCU and SMU. Of course, calling it a battle was being too generous, as TCU unloads on the Ponies 59-0. I'd post numbers but they're as you'd imagine, all good for TCU and all bad for SMU.

8: Kentucky (5-7, 2-6 SEC, no bowl) vs. 9: Northwestern (5-7, 3-5 Big Ten, no bowl)

While I'm pretty sure that the previous matchup has happened IRL, I don't know if this one ever has. I also don't care. Here, Kentucky led the shitshow 6-3 going into the 4th, where they someone competented themselves into scoring 17 points and won 23-6. Kentucky's RB is listed as Stanley Boom Williams, and I'm honestly hoping that Boom is his real middle name because if so that's loving awesome. He also had a TD rushing and receiving but that's less impressive.

4: Missouri (11-3, 7-1 SEC, won Citrus Bowl) vs. 13: UTSA (4-8, 3-5 C-USA, no bowl)

Maty Mauk was good and bad, throwing for 305 and 3 scores but throwing twice to the Roadrunners. But he was better than the UTSA QBs and that's enough to move Mizzou on 38-9.

5: Louisville (9-4, 5-3 ACC, lost Belk Bowl) vs. 12: Kansas (3-9, 1-8 Big 12, no bowl)

I don't know how Kansas got a 12 seed, they sure didn't deserve it. That being said, they gave Big Wheel Bobby and his Cards all they could handle, leading at the half (albeit 6-3) and coming within a TD with 3:22 left. But they can't get out of their own side of the field on their final possession and fall 20-13. Better than I/everyone expected out of Kansas football, however.

2: USC (9-4, 6-3 Pac-12, won Holiday Bowl) vs. 15: Army (4-8, no bowl)

Cody Kessler goes for 309 and the usual 3 TDs/2 INTs everyone has in this sim as the Trojans roll 30-6. USC outrushed Army in terms of YPR, which is bad when you're a wishbone team.

7: East Carolina (8-5, 5-3 AAC, lost Birmingham Bowl) vs. 10: Louisiana-Lafayette (9-4, 7-1 Sun Belt, won New Orleans Bowl)

This would actually be a really fun matchup, especially in a mid-level bowl. ECU was down to go crazy on offense but the Cajuns couldn't keep up, as the Pirates blow past them 59-29. Shane Carden goes for 372 yards passing and 5 TDs, which sounds right for an Air Raid offense. Good chunk of those went to Justin Hardy, 156 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

3: Wisconsin (11-3, 7-1 Big Ten, won Outback Bowl) vs. 14: North Texas (4-8, 2-6 C-USA, no bowl)

The counter-argument to the Air Raid is Wisconsin, which will run the ball, run the ball, and then run the ball some more. Against the Mean Green, Badgers rush for 372 yards and grind the Green into the turf 42-13. Melvin Gordon had the majority of those yards, 279 of them, and two scores.

6: Virginia (5-7, 3-5 ACC, no bowl) vs. 11: Western Michigan (8-5, 6-2 MAC, lost Idaho Potato Bowl)

Our last hope for an upset comes with a mediocre ACC team against a good MAC squad. It's a close game late, 21-20 UVA, but it's the Cavs who get the insurance TD late and sinks WMU's boat, 28-20. 6 different players had sacks for the Cavs as the TCU region goes chalk in the opening round.

Round of 64 Matchups - TCU Region

1: TCU vs. 8: Kentucky
4: Missouri vs. 5: Louisville
2: USC vs. 7: East Carolina
3: Wisconsin vs. 6: Virginia

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ROUND OF 128 - GEORGIA REGION

1: Georgia (10-3, 6-2 SEC, won Belk Bowl) vs. 16: Idaho (1-10, 1-7 Sun Belt, no bowl)

I really can't explain or justify Georgia getting a 1 seed at all, but thems the breaks. Either way, Idaho's really bad at football and the Dawgs beat the hell out of them 58-6. I wish this was in the Kibbie Dome but no to that as well. Just bad all around.

8: Colorado State (10-3, 6-2 MWC, lost Las Vegas Bowl) vs. 9: Temple (6-6, 4-4 AAC, no bowl)

Colorado State was kinda in the mix for an Access Bowl slot but an early season loss to Boise doomed that. Temple was bowl eligible but a surplus of teams kept them at home. In the redeemer matchup, only the Rams showed up as they blasted the Owls 43-7, in a game that wasn't even that close as CSU led 34-0 after three. I especially enjoy the CSU FGs with 1:47 and :16 left to go, just to rub in the victory. Quality heelwork.

4: Notre Dame (8-5, won Music City Bowl) vs. 13: South Florida (4-8, 3-5 AAC, no bowl)

USF's actually pulled this upset off before, back when we thought Skip Holtz might have what it takes to be a decent college coach. They happily give the Irish a game here as well, leading 10-0 after 1 and 13-3 at the break, before Notre Dame rebounds with a 21 point 3rd quarter. However, the Bulls score early in the 4th to tie the game at 24 and for the first time we go into extras. The Irish score two plays into their first possession, while USF throws the backbreaking pick two plays into theirs and allows Notre Dame to advance, 31-24.

5: Washington (8-6, 4-5 Pac-12, lost Cactus Bowl) vs. 12: Central Michigan (7-6, 5-3 MAC, lost Bahamas Bowl)

CMU made the Bahamas Bowl one of the best this past postseason, by rallying back from 35 points down in the 4th quarter. Of course, they needed 35 and went for 36 and didn't quite get there but that's not the point. Here, they punch the Huskies in the mouth early and don't let up, leading 24-7 at the half and dominate in a 37-14 win. Cooper Rush throws for 356 yards and 4 TDs to four different receivers while Washington, I dunno, just didn't care or something they only turned the rock over once.

2: UCLA (10-3, 6-3 Pac-12, won Alamo Bowl) vs. 15: UMass (3-9, 3-5 MAC, no bowl)

If you're gonna upset a highly ranked team, either turn the game into an ugly clusterfuck or turn it into a balls-out slugfest. UMass went for the former and kinda got there, with Blake Frohnapel throwing for 485 yards, two scores and a pick. But the score didn't reflect it, Bruins leading 30-18 late, when UMass hit on an 84-yard strike to make it 30-25. The Minutemen don't get the onside kick, and even after stopping UCLA and getting the rock back, there's not enough time to drive the field. Good show UMass, more than I expected out of you.

7: UCF (9-4, 7-1 AAC, lost BITCOIN Bowl) vs. 10: Syracuse (3-9, 1-7 ACC, no bowl)

Classic Big East rivals collide! And kicked a lot of field goals. Cuse kicked four, all in a row! UCF made four as well, but they kicked seven in total. That seems bad, but they also broke form and scored two touchdowns so they won 26-12. Yay college kickers.

3: Clemson (10-3, 6-2 ACC, won Russell Athletic Bowl) vs. 14: Buffalo (5-6, 3-4 MAC, no bowl)

If you asked me which 3 seed was most likely to be upset early, I would have said Clemson because the answer is always Clemson. Never underestimate Clemson's ability to poo poo the bed in a big game. Here, Clemson went up 14-0 at the half and looked like they were going to put this sucker to bed. However, Buffalo rebounded with two TDs in the 3rd and tied the game up, then took the lead early in the 4th! The Tigers got back into the fix of things with their own TD 2 minutes later to tie the game at 21, but the Bulls scored with 5 and change left and Clemson couldn't muster another comeback, giving into their destiny and being upset by a 14 seed in the opening round 28-21. Bulls picked off Cole Stoudt three times because that's how Clemson rolls.

6: Minnesota (8-5, 5-3 Big Ten, lost Citrus Bowl) vs. 11: Middle Tennessee (6-6, 5-3 C-USA, no bowl)

When I ran the every NCAA basketball team tourny with the 2012-2013 teams, Minnesota of all loving people won the entire thing, even though that team turned around and fired their coach at the end of the season IRL. If they win it all here, I'm never using WhatIfSports again. Here, the Gophers' gameplan consisted of giving the ball to David Cobb, who ran it 32 times for 362 yards and a single, lonely, solitary score as the Roadrunners were ground to dust, 44-23. Dammit Jerry Kill, if a man's gonna run that much, let him finish off a drive or two eh?

Round of 64 Matchups - Georgia Region

1: Georgia vs. 8: Colorado State
4: Notre Dame vs. 12: Central Michigan
2: UCLA vs. 7: UCF
14: Buffalo vs. 6: Minnesota

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Even in a neutral simulation free of any emotional voodoo that might affect real games, Clemson clemsons the hell out of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

C. Everett Koop posted:

When I ran the every NCAA basketball team tourny with the 2012-2013 teams, Minnesota of all loving people won the entire thing, even though that team turned around and fired their coach at the end of the season IRL.

Generally that means that the team had a bunch of talent and the coach was super poo poo.

I'm not saying the Gophers were actually that good but they were definitely better than their record and it was absolutely because of Tubby that they didn't play up to it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ROUND OF 128 - BAYLOR REGION

1: Baylor (11-2, 8-1 Big 12, lost Cotton Bowl) vs. 16: Troy (3-9, 3-5 Sun Belt, no bowl)

Time to see how mad Baylor is! Bryce Petty throws six touchdown passes, five to his own team, and Troy doesn't even crack 200 yards of total offense in a 58-7 smacking. See Baylor should have made the playoff after all!

8: Iowa (7-6, 4-4 Big Ten, lost Taxslayer Bowl) vs. 9: Nevada (7-6, 4-4 MWC, lost New Orleans Bowl)

And for the counter-argument to Baylor, here's Iowa. No one was great for the Hawkeyes but Wolfpack QB Cody Fajardo was pathetic, 13-27 130 yards and a pick, and Iowa runs....slowly meanders away with it 38-14. Next round is either going to be great or a plodding shitshow.

4: Utah (9-4, 5-4 Pac-12, won Las Vegas Bowl) vs. 13: Wake Forest (3-9, 1-7 ACC, no bowl)

Everyone decided to kick a buncha field goals in the first half until Wake tried this weird idea called "score a touchdown." They were clearly scared by it and never tried it again, while Utah actually decided that scoring touchdowns was a good idea and scored lots of them in the second half, five to be precise, and won 43-22.

5: Memphis (10-3, 7-1 AAC, won Miami Beach Bowl) vs. 12: Iowa State (2-10, 0-9 Big 12, no bowl)

Memphis won 20-14. I tried to find something interesting in the stats and found nothing. God what a lovely game. Moving on.

2: Florida State (13-1, 8-0 ACC, lost Rose Bowl) vs. 15: UConn (2-10, 1-7 AAC, no bowl)

Yep, Noles didn't even get a 1 seed or the top 2 seed, and no ACC teams got a 1 seed. #SupremACC. In the game Jameis Winston, a rapist, threw four interceptions and it didn't matter because Dalvin Cook ran for three TDs as FSU won 35-10. UConn's offensive highlight was running off the field.

7: Maryland (7-6, 4-4 Big Ten, lost Foster Farms Bowl) vs. 10: Air Force (10-3, 5-3 MWC, won Idaho Potato Bowl)

Air Force, like all the service schools, runs the Wishbone. When they were down 29-9 midway through the fourth and had less than 200 yards rushing, they decided to start throwing the ball. It turns out to be a good idea, as they scored twice to move to within a score, 29-23, with a minute left. But then Maryland recovered the onside kick and the dream was dead.

3: Florida (7-5, 4-4 SEC, won Birmingham Bowl) vs. 14: Tulane (3-9, 2-6 AAC, no bowl)

God. First bert gets a 2 seed and then Muschamp gets a 3. There's no "hate offense" option for the Gators so they get favor run instead, and somehow win 23-17 despite having less first downs, being worst on 3rd down, having Tulane more than double the YPR numbers (5.3 to 2.6), punting more, and not even crossing the 300 yard total plateau. gently caress this sim.

6: Texas (6-7, 5-4 Big 12, lost Texas Bowl) vs. 11: UAB (6-6, 4-4 C-USA, no bowl)

And finally, the team that everyone is pulling for in UAB. Try as they may, the Blazers can't get anything going, only tossing for 117 yards and picked twice as Texas puts out UAB's flame 29-6. Rest in peace sweet dragon prince :(

Round of 64 Matchups - Baylor Region

1: Baylor vs. 8: Iowa
4: Utah vs. 5: Memphis
2: Florida State vs. 7: Maryland
3: Florida vs. 6: Texas

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington can't even win a fake postseason game :negative:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Florida/Texas matchup is going to break the simulator when it tries to assign negative points to both teams. I predict Florida will win -3 to -12.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy reading these and appreciate you posting them.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

swickles posted:

Florida/Texas matchup is going to break the simulator when it tries to assign negative points to both teams. I predict Florida will win -3 to -12.

Jeff Driskel in a -50 yard safety in overtime

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ROUND OF 128 - MICHIGAN STATE REGION

1: Michigan State (11-2, 7-1 Big Ten, won Cotton Bowl) vs. 16: UNLV (2-11, 1-7 MWC, no bowl)

Sparty took their time with this one. They took nearly the entire first quarter to get around to scoring a TD, only led 21-7, and finally decided to put the Rebels away with three TDs in the third. UNLV showed some underdog fire with two scores in the 4th, and then Michigan State kicked them into a pit with a 72 yard run to finish this sucker off at 49-21.

8: North Carolina (6-7, 4-4 ACC, lost Quick Lane Bowl) vs. 9: Northern Illinois (11-3, 7-1 MAC, lost Boca Raton Bowl)

I think NIU is criminally underrated at being a 9 seed. Still, they trail the Heels 17-10 at the break but tie the game up in the third. It's looking like this one is headed for extras until UNC gets a chip shot 22 yard FG with a buck-three left, and NIU stalls out around midfield to give UNC the 20-17 win. So much for being underrated...

4: Arizona State (10-3, 6-3 Pac-12, won Sun Bowl) vs. 13: FIU (4-8, 3-5 C-USA, no bowl)

Fairly unspectacular game. Only D.J. Foster of ASU goes over 100 yards rushing, no one catches for more than 83, and each QB is okay but not great. FIU gets a score early in the 4th to make it 17-15 Sun Devils, who add two FGs and win 23-15. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

5: BYU (8-5, lost Miami Beach Bowl) vs. 12: Texas State (7-5, 3-5 Sun Belt, no bowl)

IRL BYU's season fell apart after QB Taysom Hill was injured. That's not the case here, as he runs for two TDs and throws for one as the Mormons win 31-13. After the game, they still engage Texas State in a huge brawl because that's how poo poo goes in Provo.

2: Mississippi State (10-3, 6-2 SEC, lost Orange Bowl) vs. 15: Kent State (2-9, 1-6 MAC, no bowl)

Whooo boy. Kent State scores first and then #CLANGA went off the rails, rushing for 418 yards and picking off Colin Reardon four times as they blow out the Golden Flashes 62-21. Josh Robinson had the lions share of those rushing yards, 317 and three scores. Dak Prescott threw for three scores but did little on the ground.

7: Louisiana Tech (9-5, 7-1 C-USA, won Heart of Dallas Bowl) vs. 10: Colorado (2-10, 0-9 Pac-12, no bowl)

The Buffs surprise everyone by quickly going up 10-0. What's not surprising is that they figured that would be enough scoring for the day, forgetting that they're going up against a C-USA team, who are used to the conference playing by NFL Blitz rules. 31 unanswered from the Bulldogs puts away the Buffalo, who get a meaningless TD late for a 31-17 loss. Colorado ran 41 times for 47 yards, which is just awful. I mean wow.

3: Texas A&M (8-5, 3-5 SEC, won Liberty Bowl) vs. 14: Akron (5-7, 3-5 MAC, no bowl)

Aggies rack up just shy of 600 yards of total offense in a 58-16 rout. What stands out to me the most was the time of possession, and when a team with the spread-type scheme like A&M has win TOP 35-25, you know something's gone either really right or really wrong for the other team. For Akron, it went the way most things go in Akron: wrong.

6: Pittsburgh (6-7, 4-4 ACC, lost Armed Forces Bowl) vs. 11: Purdue (3-9, 1-7 Big Ten, no bowl)

Our last hope for an upset in this region and two straight going chalk is Purdue. God help us. So of course Pitt happily grinds the life out of the Boilermakers, with James Conner running for 230 yards as the Panthers roll 43-27. There's been a lot less upsets in this than I thought there would be.

Round of 64 Matchups - Michigan State Region

1: Michigan State vs. 8: North Carolina
4: Arizona State vs. 5: BYU
2: Mississippi State vs. 7: Louisiana Tech
3: Texas A&M vs. 6: Pittsburgh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C. Everett Koop posted:

5: Memphis (10-3, 7-1 AAC, won Miami Beach Bowl) vs. 12: Iowa State (2-10, 0-9 Big 12, no bowl)

Memphis won 20-14. I tried to find something interesting in the stats and found nothing. God what a lovely game. Moving on.

Simulation accuracy validated.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Great news! We're at the end of the first round!

ROUND OF 128 - AUBURN REGION

1: Auburn (8-5, 4-4 SEC, lost Outback Bowl) vs. 16: Miami Ohio (2-10, 2-6 MAC, no bowl)

No 16s over 1s here either, as the Gus Bus beep-beeps over the Redhawks 41-10. There was the faint glimmer of hope early on, as MOH had the only points in the first fifteen minutes with a 35 yard FG, but Auburn quickly claimed the lead and blanked Miami in the 2nd half. Redhawks rushed 46 times for 52 yards, which is also just dreadful.

8: NC State (8-5, 3-5 ACC, won BITCOIN Bowl) vs. 9: Georgia Southern (9-3, 8-0 Sun Belt, no bowl (because the NCAA is literally Hitler :godwin: :godwin: :godwin:))

You might have seen this matchup and thought, "Boy, I wouldn't want to be the poor suckers who have to play Georgia Southern, they were really good in their first year at this level!" And then you realize that this sim hates upsets for the most part, other than LSU giving into their Agent of Chaos motif and Clemson giving in to their base instincts, but other than that the big named schools triumph over the mid-majors. Add in that the sim doesn't respect the Wishbone and treats "Heavy Run" as slamming a teenager's brain into a mass of false hopes and dreams over and over again and you might begin to wonder where you went wrong in life. Then you run the sim and see that GSU ran for 427 yards on 69 carries and scored the first 38 points of the game and you can literally feel life flow back through your veins and the sun is shining and that cute girl actually smiled at your sincerely and the world is not just another moment closer to oblivion.

You also could have seen that Georgia Southern was playing NC State and realized "Hey, NC State kinda sucks I think GSU has this" and you would have been right without all the melodrama. But I digress.

4: Arizona (10-4, 7-2 Pac-12, lost Fiesta Bowl) vs. 13: Hawai'i (4-9, 3-5 MWC, no bowl)

A word from the editor: when running this sim, I try not to make any corrections or edits unless it's really egregious. BYU not having Taysom Hill in, for example. Here, when I ran the sim neither side had more than 250 yards passing and I said "That poo poo ain't right." Arizona did win 47-25 so the score was fine but not the method. So I looked and saw that both were set to Balanced offenses, which is horseshit in every sense of the word. So after setting both to Heavy Pass, I re-ran the sim and Arizona won 42-19. There was less scoring but both sides threw for over 300 yards and in the end it means nothing so I took the second one and feel we're better off for it.

5: Duke (9-4, 5-3 ACC, lost Sun Bowl) vs. 12: Appalachian State (7-5, 6-2 Sun Belt, no bowl)

Even though this is one of the better first round matchups by overall record, I can only get so excited about Duke football and I just wrote a lot of words. Duke won 34-24 and Jamison Crowder had an okay game, 4 rec for 71 yards. NEXT

2: Ole Miss (9-4, 5-3 SEC, lost Peach Bowl) vs. 15: Southern Miss (3-9, 1-7 C-USA, no bowl)

Again, I didn't plan this matchup out. I don't know the last time they played IRL, but Southern Miss is inviting CLANGA to their house as the back part of a home and home this year. Anyway, Dr. Bo threw to the wrong team once but that was ok since Nick Mullins threw to the Rebs three times (in fact no one threw a TD, for shame) and the Rebels pasted the Golden Eagles 38-3.

7: Penn State (7-6, 2-6 Big Ten, won Pinstripe Bowl) vs. 10: Toledo (9-4, 7-1 MAC, won GoDaddy Bowl)

Toledo's been a Big Ten killer before and this matchup seemed like it could have that feel. Then Penn State scored the first 21 points in the opening half of the 1st Quarter and the rest became a formality, Nittany Lions coasting to a 28-16 victory. Toledo tried to make a runback and got within 21-16, but they took six sacks on the day and that's bad for upsets.

3: Marshall (13-1, 7-1 C-USA, won Boca Raton Bowl) vs. 14: Louisiana-Monroe (4-8, 3-5 Sun Belt, no bowl)

Marshall is the highest ranked non-power conference team by far, with Boise sitting at a 5 seed. Here, they just kinda toy with the Warhawks before putting them away 34-13. No one did anything of note, which was disappointing, since I expected this kind of result from our last first round matchup...

6: Virginia Tech (7-6, 3-5 ACC, won Military Bowl) vs. 11: Fresno State (6-8, 5-3 MWC, lost Hawai'i Bowl)

Hokies were dominating this one until Fresno got a 60 yard Pick-6 late in the first half to take a 21-10 lead into the locker room. That kind of broke the Hokies, who didn't put up much of a fight after that and lost 38-13. Fresno wasn't great either, barely getting over 300 yards of total offense. frankbeamer.jpg here.

Round of 64 Matchups - Auburn Region

1: Auburn vs. 9: Georgia Southern
4: Arizona vs. 5: Duke
2: Ole Miss vs. 7: Penn State
3: Marshall vs. 11: Fresno State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
We're done with the first round, and here's how the Round of 64 looks in case you're too lazy to scroll around:

Oregon Region

1: Oregon vs. 8: Navy
4: West Virginia vs. 5: Tennessee
2: Oklahoma vs. 7: Boston College
14: Ohio vs. 11: San Diego State

Alabama Region

1: Alabama vs. 8: Washington State
4: Miami vs. 5: South Carolina
2: Arkansas vs. 10: Indiana
3: Kansas State vs. 6: Michigan

Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State vs. 8: Oregon State