Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
So for all of the talk about the first season of the College Football Playoff and that four teams was okay but it'd really be better if it was eight teams, I say gently caress that poo poo. Let's take all one hundred twenty-eight teams that played D1 football this past season and let's have ourselves a big-rear end tournament and really find out who deserved to win this year probably alabama sadly

This here be the bracket https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GoFW5xdPIcc-sFAIaGwsfqArgJSzmui1Bmm3y3j58Iw/edit?usp=sharing. You'll need to download your own version to make any edits.

If you're wondering why the hell Ohio State isn't #1, I did the rankings using some Power Index Poll thingy ESPN had on their website. It was the only thing that actually ranked every team since the BCS is over and I figure it'll work well enough.

If you saw the Every Team NCAA Tournament I did before, first why, second I figured we needed some kind of gambling to go along with it, hence the convenient bracket in the link above. Scoring will be done via the usual rules, one point for the first round, two for the second, onto sixty-four for getting the champ right. Winner gets not a goddamn thing unless someone else wants to put up a prize because I ain't spending money on you cocksuckers I gots bills to pay.

I'll give everyone a week or so to enter, and in the meantime I'll try to write some mini team capsules and insult each and every one of these cocksuckers.

Any questions go gently caress yourself ask here. Have fun everyone!!!!!:)

edit - I should probably mention that I'll be using WhatIfSports to sim the games and everything will be on a neutral field, that's important to disclose I suppose.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Yeah, I'm starting to think bracketcloud might not have been a good idea, or at least one more bad idea thrown onto the pile. Does anybody know of a better service, or would I be better off making everything in Google Docs and sharing it that way?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
So I ended up doing it out by hand in Google Docs because golf is boring. Link is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GoFW5xdPIcc-sFAIaGwsfqArgJSzmui1Bmm3y3j58Iw/edit?usp=sharing and also in the OP. You'll need to download your own copy, whether you want to share a link here or email it to SASmediasheep at gmail is up to you, I've got no issue just using the honor system since we ain't playing for nothing.

I'll keep entries open until next Monday and start it soon there after. Have fun everyone that's what's important!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

Pakled posted:

I think there's a typo in this. Virginia Tech is supposed to be in the Auburn group, but on its sheet you've got Virginia instead.

My entry is coming up shortly.

e: And here it is.

Yeah, that's Virginia Tech against Fresno in the Auburn region. My bad.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Well, thanks to all one of you for entering, so Pakled wins by default! If only the prize was something other than nothing. Ah well, let's get started!

Round of 128 - Oregon Region

1: Oregon (13-2, 8-1 Pac-12, won Rose Bowl, lost National Championship) vs. 16: Eastern Michigan (2-10, 1-7 MAC, no bowl)

Oregon never really gas-pedals the Eagles but they don't need to, Marcus Mariota throwing for 240 yards and 2 TDs and EMU never getting anything going as Oregon easily advances.

8: Navy (8-5, Indep, won Poinsettia Bowl) vs. 9: Rutgers, 8-5, 3-5 Big Ten, won Quick Lane Bowl)

The Midshipmen rush for 500 yards on a porous Scarlet Knights D en route to a 38-24 victory. 3 different players have 70+ yard individual rushes while Gary Nova throws to the wrong team four times.

4: West Virginia (7-6, 5-4 Big 12, lost Liberty Bowl) vs. 13: Old Dominion (6-6, 4-4 C-USA, no bowl)

ODU hangs around with the Mountaineers with the game tied at 20 at the half. WVU gets two 4th Quarter touchdowns to pull ahead 37-27 with 1:47 left to go, but the Monarchs score with 43 ticks left on the clock. They can't recover the onside kick and the Mountaineers hold on to win 37-34.

5: Tennessee (7-6, 3-5 SEC, won Taxslayer Bowl) vs. 12: Bowling Green (7-6, 5-3 MAC, won Camellia Bowl)

Von Pearson hauls in two TD receptions and 109 yards as the Vols hammer BG 48-17. Josh Dobson throws no INTs and runs for 96 yards and a TD to help out his teams effort.

2: Oklahoma (8-5, 5-4 Big 12, lost Russell Athletic Bowl) vs. 15: New Mexico (4-8, 2-6 MWC, no bowl)

Lobos have no answer for Samaje Perrine, who runs for 199 and and a pair of scores. However, New Mexico does pick off Trevor Knight three times and hang around until a Sooner TD with eight minutes to go finally puts this one away 34-24.

7: Boston College (7-6, 4-4 ACC, lost Pinstripe Bowl) vs. 10: Rice (8-5, 5-3, won Hawai'i Bowl)

422 yards on the ground for BC grinds Rice up into dust as the Eagles easily prevail 51-10. Jon Hilliman goes for 145 and two of the five rushing TDs Boston College had. Rice's band was said to be entertaining, at least.

3: LSU (8-5, 4-4 SEC, lost Music City Bowl) vs. 14: Ohio (6-6, 4-4 MAC, no bowl)

The offensive numbers aren't impressive and that helps the team from the MAC, as the LSU D can't make any plays. Bobcats lead 10-3 at the break and 13-3 after 3, LSU gets a TD with 4:42 left to go but miss the game-tying 53 yard FG with 1:22 left and their final drive goes nowhere, as we get our first upset of the tournament.

6: Houston (8-5, 5-3 AAC, won Armed Forces Bowl) vs. 11: San Diego State (7-6, 5-3 MWC, lost Poinsettia Bowl)

Houston controls for the first three quarters but the Aztecs rally for two TDs in the 4th to get the comeback upset 31-21, ensuring that a double-digit seed will make the round of 32. SDST sack John O'Korn 4 times and pick him once, which helps overcome their own three turnovers.

Round of 64 matchups in the Oregon Region:

1: Oregon vs. 8: Navy
4: West Virginia vs. 5: Tennessee
2: Oklahoma vs. 7: Boston College
14: Ohio vs. 11: San Diego State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Sidenote: with WhatIfSports, there used to be an option to e-mail the results of a game, which I used to post a link in the thread when I ran my bigass NCAA Basketball tournament. I don't see that option anymore, anyone know of where it went or any other way I can share the results TIA?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

Arkhams Razor posted:

If you hover over the Share tab at the bottom and click "More", a box will appear with a link.

I don't have a share tab, just save game and print boxscore which doesn't work. Ah well.

ROUND OF 128 - ALABAMA REGION

1: Alabama (12-1, 7-1 SEC, lost Sugar Bowl) vs. 16: Georgia State (1-11, 0-8 Sun Belt, no bowl)

I know this'll shock the poo poo out of everyone but Alabama chocked the life out of their opponent 35-3. No one had spectacular stats but Bama controlled every aspect of the game.

8: Washington State (3-9, 2-7 Pac-12, no bowl) vs. 9: Utah State (10-4, 6-2 MWC, won New Mexico Bowl)

A 31-13 4th Quarter lead saw Wazzu actually stop throwing the ball and try to run the clock out for once. Needless to say, this backfired as it allowed the Aggies to get back into the game. However, the clock expired before the Cougars' D did, as the final touchdown came with 0:00 left and Washington State still up 37-34.

4: Miami (6-7, 3-5 ACC, lost Independence Bowl) vs. 13: Ball State (5-7, 4-4 MAC, no bowl)

Duke Johnson put Da U on his back, rushing for 210 yards and a pair of short scores as Miami blew out BallSoHard U 51-13. Brad Kayaa wasn't accurate, just 21-40, but he threw for 3 TDs and avoided any turnovers while the Miami D hounded Cardinals QB Jack Milas.

5: South Carolina (7-6, 3-5 SEC, won Independence Bowl) vs. 12: South Alabama (6-7, 5-3 Sun Belt, lost Camellia Bowl)

The upset-minded Jaguars had the better individual numbers, but it's hard to overcome turnovers, especially when they lead to 99 yard Pick Six's, and that was the key to the Gamecock's 38-31 win. This sets up a rematch of the IRL Independence Bowl, which is something I'm sure we all very much wanted.

2: Arkansas (7-6, 2-6 SEC, won Texas Bowl) vs. 15: Wyoming (4-8, 2-6 MWC, no bowl)

Before anyone asks, I have no clue how bert and Co. ranked as high as they did and earned a 2 seed. That said, it was still a game early in the 4th Quarter as a Wyoming FG made it a 21-20 Razorbacks lead. Then the Hogs added two late touchdowns to cap a 35-20 win. bert celebrated with a couple mayo on white bread sandwiches.

7: Cal (5-7, 3-6 Pac-12, no bowl) vs. 10: Indiana (4-8, 1-7 Big Ten, no bowl)

If this happened at a neutral stadium IRL it might draw 50 people. At best. Here, the Hoosiers took ability of the Golden Bears' inability to stop a nosebleed to rack up almost 500 yards of total offense and won big, 38-13. 5 sacks and a pick helped too.

3: Kansas State (9-4, 7-2 Big 12, lost Alamo Bowl) vs. 14: San Jose State (3-9, 2-6 MWC, no bowl)

It was close going into the 4th, K-State holding onto a 20-14 lead. Then Bill Snyder's wizard powers kicked in and his team ripped off two quick TDs to put the game away, winning 38-21. Charles Jones ran for 155 and two scores and while the Wildcats recorded six sacks, they also gave up 322 yards of passing.

6: Michigan (5-7, 3-5 Big Ten, no bowl) vs. 11: Arkansas State (7-6, 5-3 Sun Belt, lost GoDaddy Bowl)

44-16. How Michigan, a team that couldn't move a ball forward on an empty field, put up 44 on a decent Sun Belt team is beyond me. Devin Gardner wasn't an embarrassment, the D got six sacks, and that stupid lummox didn't kill any of his players. I hate this region.

Round of 64 Matchups - Alabama Region

1: Alabama vs. 8: Washington State
4: Miami vs. 5: South Carolina
2: Arkansas vs. 10: Indiana
3: Kansas State vs. 6: Michigan

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 128 - OHIO STATE REGION

1: Ohio State (14-1, 8-0 Big Ten, won Rose Bowl, National Champions) vs. 16: New Mexico State (2-10, 1-7 Sun Belt, no bowl)

If you came looking for an absolute assbeating, you'd be disappointed. Ezekiel Elliott and his abs do rush for 188 yards and two TDs and the Buckeyes do roll 37-13, but it's closer than it probably should have been.

8: Oregon State (5-7, 2-7 Pac-12, no bowl) vs. 9: Texas Tech (4-8, 2-7 Big 12, no bowl)

The first quarter was explosive, with the Beavers leading 21-14 after 15 minutes of play. It slowed down in the 2nd and 3rd before Oregon State finally broke the Red Raiders for 23 in the 4th, winning 58-21. It also included the ultimate dick move of Oregon State kicking a field goal with 0:00s on the clock instead of dropping the knee, so props to you sim for that straight up heel move.

4: Nebraska (9-4, 5-3 Big Ten, lost Holiday Bowl) vs. 13: Vanderbilt (3-9, 0-8 SEC, no bowl)

Nebraska might have been a team primed for a first round upset, but a Vandy team that struck midnight once James Franklin left for Penn State was not going to be the ones to pull it off as the Huskers won 30-10. Huskers barely cracked 300 yards of total offense so they're not out of the woods yet. Ameer Abdullah had a good game with 163 yards on the ground and a trip to the promised land.

5: Boise State (12-2, 7-1 MWC, won Fiesta Bowl) vs. 12: UTEP (7-6, 5-3 C-USA, lost New Mexico Bowl)

Boise blanked UTEP in the 1st half while scoring 33 points themselves and made the 2nd half academic en route to a 46-21 victory. The Bluefielders forced the Miner QBs into 8-32 passing, picking them off twice while surrendering two passing scores.

2: Stanford (8-5, 5-4 Pac-12, won Foster Farms Bowl) vs. 15: Tulsa (2-10, 2-6 AAC, no bowl)

Tulsa tried to run the ball 43 times. Stanford only allowed them 60 yards. You don't win games with stats like that and the Golden Hurricane didn't as the Cardinal move on 35-6. Kevin Hogan was fine, throwing for just under 300 yards and three scores.

7: Oklahoma State (7-6, 4-5 Big 12, won Cactus Bowl) vs. 10: Western Kentucky (8-5, 4-4 C-USA, won Bahamas Bowl)

A big second quarter from the Hilltoppers broke the Cowboys, who meekly fall 27-7. There was no score after 1, WKU scored early in the second but two touchdowns in the final 90 seconds of the half did in Mike Gundy's squad. Daxx Garman only threw for 197 yards, which in the spread offense is kinda bad.

3: Georgia Tech (11-3, 6-2, won Orange Bowl) vs. 14: FAU (3-9, 2-6 C-USA, no bowl)

FAU held a 21-20 halftime lead and it seemed like another major team could bite the dust. But the Wreck started Ramblin' in the second half, regained the lead off two TDs in the 3rd, and held on to win 38-27. Jackets did throw 13 times, which seems wrong.

6: Cincinnati (9-4, 7-1 AAC, lost Military Bowl) vs. 11: Illinois (6-7, 3-5 Big Ten, lost Heart of Dallas Bowl)

Here's a regional matchup that wouldn't move 50 tickets. Illini do move the ball, as they score 17 points in the 1st, 3rd and 4th Quarters to roll 51-17. Gunner Kiel got picked off 3 times as Tubs looks to see if a good FCS job is open in the middle of some Skyline.

Round of 64 Matchups - Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State vs. 8: Oregon State
4: Nebraska vs. 5: Boise State
2: Stanford vs. 10: Western Kentucky
3: Georgia Tech vs. 11: Illinois

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 128 - TCU REGION

1: TCU (12-1, 8-1 Big 12, won Peach Bowl) vs. 16: SMU (1-11, 1-7 AAC, no bowl)

When I set these matchups up, I was more concerned with trying to avoid conference matchups in the first two rounds than anything else, and as such we end up with the Battle of Dallas/Ft. Worth between TCU and SMU. Of course, calling it a battle was being too generous, as TCU unloads on the Ponies 59-0. I'd post numbers but they're as you'd imagine, all good for TCU and all bad for SMU.

8: Kentucky (5-7, 2-6 SEC, no bowl) vs. 9: Northwestern (5-7, 3-5 Big Ten, no bowl)

While I'm pretty sure that the previous matchup has happened IRL, I don't know if this one ever has. I also don't care. Here, Kentucky led the shitshow 6-3 going into the 4th, where they someone competented themselves into scoring 17 points and won 23-6. Kentucky's RB is listed as Stanley Boom Williams, and I'm honestly hoping that Boom is his real middle name because if so that's loving awesome. He also had a TD rushing and receiving but that's less impressive.

4: Missouri (11-3, 7-1 SEC, won Citrus Bowl) vs. 13: UTSA (4-8, 3-5 C-USA, no bowl)

Maty Mauk was good and bad, throwing for 305 and 3 scores but throwing twice to the Roadrunners. But he was better than the UTSA QBs and that's enough to move Mizzou on 38-9.

5: Louisville (9-4, 5-3 ACC, lost Belk Bowl) vs. 12: Kansas (3-9, 1-8 Big 12, no bowl)

I don't know how Kansas got a 12 seed, they sure didn't deserve it. That being said, they gave Big Wheel Bobby and his Cards all they could handle, leading at the half (albeit 6-3) and coming within a TD with 3:22 left. But they can't get out of their own side of the field on their final possession and fall 20-13. Better than I/everyone expected out of Kansas football, however.

2: USC (9-4, 6-3 Pac-12, won Holiday Bowl) vs. 15: Army (4-8, no bowl)

Cody Kessler goes for 309 and the usual 3 TDs/2 INTs everyone has in this sim as the Trojans roll 30-6. USC outrushed Army in terms of YPR, which is bad when you're a wishbone team.

7: East Carolina (8-5, 5-3 AAC, lost Birmingham Bowl) vs. 10: Louisiana-Lafayette (9-4, 7-1 Sun Belt, won New Orleans Bowl)

This would actually be a really fun matchup, especially in a mid-level bowl. ECU was down to go crazy on offense but the Cajuns couldn't keep up, as the Pirates blow past them 59-29. Shane Carden goes for 372 yards passing and 5 TDs, which sounds right for an Air Raid offense. Good chunk of those went to Justin Hardy, 156 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

3: Wisconsin (11-3, 7-1 Big Ten, won Outback Bowl) vs. 14: North Texas (4-8, 2-6 C-USA, no bowl)

The counter-argument to the Air Raid is Wisconsin, which will run the ball, run the ball, and then run the ball some more. Against the Mean Green, Badgers rush for 372 yards and grind the Green into the turf 42-13. Melvin Gordon had the majority of those yards, 279 of them, and two scores.

6: Virginia (5-7, 3-5 ACC, no bowl) vs. 11: Western Michigan (8-5, 6-2 MAC, lost Idaho Potato Bowl)

Our last hope for an upset comes with a mediocre ACC team against a good MAC squad. It's a close game late, 21-20 UVA, but it's the Cavs who get the insurance TD late and sinks WMU's boat, 28-20. 6 different players had sacks for the Cavs as the TCU region goes chalk in the opening round.

Round of 64 Matchups - TCU Region

1: TCU vs. 8: Kentucky
4: Missouri vs. 5: Louisville
2: USC vs. 7: East Carolina
3: Wisconsin vs. 6: Virginia

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 128 - GEORGIA REGION

1: Georgia (10-3, 6-2 SEC, won Belk Bowl) vs. 16: Idaho (1-10, 1-7 Sun Belt, no bowl)

I really can't explain or justify Georgia getting a 1 seed at all, but thems the breaks. Either way, Idaho's really bad at football and the Dawgs beat the hell out of them 58-6. I wish this was in the Kibbie Dome but no to that as well. Just bad all around.

8: Colorado State (10-3, 6-2 MWC, lost Las Vegas Bowl) vs. 9: Temple (6-6, 4-4 AAC, no bowl)

Colorado State was kinda in the mix for an Access Bowl slot but an early season loss to Boise doomed that. Temple was bowl eligible but a surplus of teams kept them at home. In the redeemer matchup, only the Rams showed up as they blasted the Owls 43-7, in a game that wasn't even that close as CSU led 34-0 after three. I especially enjoy the CSU FGs with 1:47 and :16 left to go, just to rub in the victory. Quality heelwork.

4: Notre Dame (8-5, won Music City Bowl) vs. 13: South Florida (4-8, 3-5 AAC, no bowl)

USF's actually pulled this upset off before, back when we thought Skip Holtz might have what it takes to be a decent college coach. They happily give the Irish a game here as well, leading 10-0 after 1 and 13-3 at the break, before Notre Dame rebounds with a 21 point 3rd quarter. However, the Bulls score early in the 4th to tie the game at 24 and for the first time we go into extras. The Irish score two plays into their first possession, while USF throws the backbreaking pick two plays into theirs and allows Notre Dame to advance, 31-24.

5: Washington (8-6, 4-5 Pac-12, lost Cactus Bowl) vs. 12: Central Michigan (7-6, 5-3 MAC, lost Bahamas Bowl)

CMU made the Bahamas Bowl one of the best this past postseason, by rallying back from 35 points down in the 4th quarter. Of course, they needed 35 and went for 36 and didn't quite get there but that's not the point. Here, they punch the Huskies in the mouth early and don't let up, leading 24-7 at the half and dominate in a 37-14 win. Cooper Rush throws for 356 yards and 4 TDs to four different receivers while Washington, I dunno, just didn't care or something they only turned the rock over once.

2: UCLA (10-3, 6-3 Pac-12, won Alamo Bowl) vs. 15: UMass (3-9, 3-5 MAC, no bowl)

If you're gonna upset a highly ranked team, either turn the game into an ugly clusterfuck or turn it into a balls-out slugfest. UMass went for the former and kinda got there, with Blake Frohnapel throwing for 485 yards, two scores and a pick. But the score didn't reflect it, Bruins leading 30-18 late, when UMass hit on an 84-yard strike to make it 30-25. The Minutemen don't get the onside kick, and even after stopping UCLA and getting the rock back, there's not enough time to drive the field. Good show UMass, more than I expected out of you.

7: UCF (9-4, 7-1 AAC, lost BITCOIN Bowl) vs. 10: Syracuse (3-9, 1-7 ACC, no bowl)

Classic Big East rivals collide! And kicked a lot of field goals. Cuse kicked four, all in a row! UCF made four as well, but they kicked seven in total. That seems bad, but they also broke form and scored two touchdowns so they won 26-12. Yay college kickers.

3: Clemson (10-3, 6-2 ACC, won Russell Athletic Bowl) vs. 14: Buffalo (5-6, 3-4 MAC, no bowl)

If you asked me which 3 seed was most likely to be upset early, I would have said Clemson because the answer is always Clemson. Never underestimate Clemson's ability to poo poo the bed in a big game. Here, Clemson went up 14-0 at the half and looked like they were going to put this sucker to bed. However, Buffalo rebounded with two TDs in the 3rd and tied the game up, then took the lead early in the 4th! The Tigers got back into the fix of things with their own TD 2 minutes later to tie the game at 21, but the Bulls scored with 5 and change left and Clemson couldn't muster another comeback, giving into their destiny and being upset by a 14 seed in the opening round 28-21. Bulls picked off Cole Stoudt three times because that's how Clemson rolls.

6: Minnesota (8-5, 5-3 Big Ten, lost Citrus Bowl) vs. 11: Middle Tennessee (6-6, 5-3 C-USA, no bowl)

When I ran the every NCAA basketball team tourny with the 2012-2013 teams, Minnesota of all loving people won the entire thing, even though that team turned around and fired their coach at the end of the season IRL. If they win it all here, I'm never using WhatIfSports again. Here, the Gophers' gameplan consisted of giving the ball to David Cobb, who ran it 32 times for 362 yards and a single, lonely, solitary score as the Roadrunners were ground to dust, 44-23. Dammit Jerry Kill, if a man's gonna run that much, let him finish off a drive or two eh?

Round of 64 Matchups - Georgia Region

1: Georgia vs. 8: Colorado State
4: Notre Dame vs. 12: Central Michigan
2: UCLA vs. 7: UCF
14: Buffalo vs. 6: Minnesota

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 128 - BAYLOR REGION

1: Baylor (11-2, 8-1 Big 12, lost Cotton Bowl) vs. 16: Troy (3-9, 3-5 Sun Belt, no bowl)

Time to see how mad Baylor is! Bryce Petty throws six touchdown passes, five to his own team, and Troy doesn't even crack 200 yards of total offense in a 58-7 smacking. See Baylor should have made the playoff after all!

8: Iowa (7-6, 4-4 Big Ten, lost Taxslayer Bowl) vs. 9: Nevada (7-6, 4-4 MWC, lost New Orleans Bowl)

And for the counter-argument to Baylor, here's Iowa. No one was great for the Hawkeyes but Wolfpack QB Cody Fajardo was pathetic, 13-27 130 yards and a pick, and Iowa runs....slowly meanders away with it 38-14. Next round is either going to be great or a plodding shitshow.

4: Utah (9-4, 5-4 Pac-12, won Las Vegas Bowl) vs. 13: Wake Forest (3-9, 1-7 ACC, no bowl)

Everyone decided to kick a buncha field goals in the first half until Wake tried this weird idea called "score a touchdown." They were clearly scared by it and never tried it again, while Utah actually decided that scoring touchdowns was a good idea and scored lots of them in the second half, five to be precise, and won 43-22.

5: Memphis (10-3, 7-1 AAC, won Miami Beach Bowl) vs. 12: Iowa State (2-10, 0-9 Big 12, no bowl)

Memphis won 20-14. I tried to find something interesting in the stats and found nothing. God what a lovely game. Moving on.

2: Florida State (13-1, 8-0 ACC, lost Rose Bowl) vs. 15: UConn (2-10, 1-7 AAC, no bowl)

Yep, Noles didn't even get a 1 seed or the top 2 seed, and no ACC teams got a 1 seed. #SupremACC. In the game Jameis Winston, a rapist, threw four interceptions and it didn't matter because Dalvin Cook ran for three TDs as FSU won 35-10. UConn's offensive highlight was running off the field.

7: Maryland (7-6, 4-4 Big Ten, lost Foster Farms Bowl) vs. 10: Air Force (10-3, 5-3 MWC, won Idaho Potato Bowl)

Air Force, like all the service schools, runs the Wishbone. When they were down 29-9 midway through the fourth and had less than 200 yards rushing, they decided to start throwing the ball. It turns out to be a good idea, as they scored twice to move to within a score, 29-23, with a minute left. But then Maryland recovered the onside kick and the dream was dead.

3: Florida (7-5, 4-4 SEC, won Birmingham Bowl) vs. 14: Tulane (3-9, 2-6 AAC, no bowl)

God. First bert gets a 2 seed and then Muschamp gets a 3. There's no "hate offense" option for the Gators so they get favor run instead, and somehow win 23-17 despite having less first downs, being worst on 3rd down, having Tulane more than double the YPR numbers (5.3 to 2.6), punting more, and not even crossing the 300 yard total plateau. gently caress this sim.

6: Texas (6-7, 5-4 Big 12, lost Texas Bowl) vs. 11: UAB (6-6, 4-4 C-USA, no bowl)

And finally, the team that everyone is pulling for in UAB. Try as they may, the Blazers can't get anything going, only tossing for 117 yards and picked twice as Texas puts out UAB's flame 29-6. Rest in peace sweet dragon prince :(

Round of 64 Matchups - Baylor Region

1: Baylor vs. 8: Iowa
4: Utah vs. 5: Memphis
2: Florida State vs. 7: Maryland
3: Florida vs. 6: Texas

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 128 - MICHIGAN STATE REGION

1: Michigan State (11-2, 7-1 Big Ten, won Cotton Bowl) vs. 16: UNLV (2-11, 1-7 MWC, no bowl)

Sparty took their time with this one. They took nearly the entire first quarter to get around to scoring a TD, only led 21-7, and finally decided to put the Rebels away with three TDs in the third. UNLV showed some underdog fire with two scores in the 4th, and then Michigan State kicked them into a pit with a 72 yard run to finish this sucker off at 49-21.

8: North Carolina (6-7, 4-4 ACC, lost Quick Lane Bowl) vs. 9: Northern Illinois (11-3, 7-1 MAC, lost Boca Raton Bowl)

I think NIU is criminally underrated at being a 9 seed. Still, they trail the Heels 17-10 at the break but tie the game up in the third. It's looking like this one is headed for extras until UNC gets a chip shot 22 yard FG with a buck-three left, and NIU stalls out around midfield to give UNC the 20-17 win. So much for being underrated...

4: Arizona State (10-3, 6-3 Pac-12, won Sun Bowl) vs. 13: FIU (4-8, 3-5 C-USA, no bowl)

Fairly unspectacular game. Only D.J. Foster of ASU goes over 100 yards rushing, no one catches for more than 83, and each QB is okay but not great. FIU gets a score early in the 4th to make it 17-15 Sun Devils, who add two FGs and win 23-15. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

5: BYU (8-5, lost Miami Beach Bowl) vs. 12: Texas State (7-5, 3-5 Sun Belt, no bowl)

IRL BYU's season fell apart after QB Taysom Hill was injured. That's not the case here, as he runs for two TDs and throws for one as the Mormons win 31-13. After the game, they still engage Texas State in a huge brawl because that's how poo poo goes in Provo.

2: Mississippi State (10-3, 6-2 SEC, lost Orange Bowl) vs. 15: Kent State (2-9, 1-6 MAC, no bowl)

Whooo boy. Kent State scores first and then #CLANGA went off the rails, rushing for 418 yards and picking off Colin Reardon four times as they blow out the Golden Flashes 62-21. Josh Robinson had the lions share of those rushing yards, 317 and three scores. Dak Prescott threw for three scores but did little on the ground.

7: Louisiana Tech (9-5, 7-1 C-USA, won Heart of Dallas Bowl) vs. 10: Colorado (2-10, 0-9 Pac-12, no bowl)

The Buffs surprise everyone by quickly going up 10-0. What's not surprising is that they figured that would be enough scoring for the day, forgetting that they're going up against a C-USA team, who are used to the conference playing by NFL Blitz rules. 31 unanswered from the Bulldogs puts away the Buffalo, who get a meaningless TD late for a 31-17 loss. Colorado ran 41 times for 47 yards, which is just awful. I mean wow.

3: Texas A&M (8-5, 3-5 SEC, won Liberty Bowl) vs. 14: Akron (5-7, 3-5 MAC, no bowl)

Aggies rack up just shy of 600 yards of total offense in a 58-16 rout. What stands out to me the most was the time of possession, and when a team with the spread-type scheme like A&M has win TOP 35-25, you know something's gone either really right or really wrong for the other team. For Akron, it went the way most things go in Akron: wrong.

6: Pittsburgh (6-7, 4-4 ACC, lost Armed Forces Bowl) vs. 11: Purdue (3-9, 1-7 Big Ten, no bowl)

Our last hope for an upset in this region and two straight going chalk is Purdue. God help us. So of course Pitt happily grinds the life out of the Boilermakers, with James Conner running for 230 yards as the Panthers roll 43-27. There's been a lot less upsets in this than I thought there would be.

Round of 64 Matchups - Michigan State Region

1: Michigan State vs. 8: North Carolina
4: Arizona State vs. 5: BYU
2: Mississippi State vs. 7: Louisiana Tech
3: Texas A&M vs. 6: Pittsburgh

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Great news! We're at the end of the first round!

ROUND OF 128 - AUBURN REGION

1: Auburn (8-5, 4-4 SEC, lost Outback Bowl) vs. 16: Miami Ohio (2-10, 2-6 MAC, no bowl)

No 16s over 1s here either, as the Gus Bus beep-beeps over the Redhawks 41-10. There was the faint glimmer of hope early on, as MOH had the only points in the first fifteen minutes with a 35 yard FG, but Auburn quickly claimed the lead and blanked Miami in the 2nd half. Redhawks rushed 46 times for 52 yards, which is also just dreadful.

8: NC State (8-5, 3-5 ACC, won BITCOIN Bowl) vs. 9: Georgia Southern (9-3, 8-0 Sun Belt, no bowl (because the NCAA is literally Hitler :godwin: :godwin: :godwin:))

You might have seen this matchup and thought, "Boy, I wouldn't want to be the poor suckers who have to play Georgia Southern, they were really good in their first year at this level!" And then you realize that this sim hates upsets for the most part, other than LSU giving into their Agent of Chaos motif and Clemson giving in to their base instincts, but other than that the big named schools triumph over the mid-majors. Add in that the sim doesn't respect the Wishbone and treats "Heavy Run" as slamming a teenager's brain into a mass of false hopes and dreams over and over again and you might begin to wonder where you went wrong in life. Then you run the sim and see that GSU ran for 427 yards on 69 carries and scored the first 38 points of the game and you can literally feel life flow back through your veins and the sun is shining and that cute girl actually smiled at your sincerely and the world is not just another moment closer to oblivion.

You also could have seen that Georgia Southern was playing NC State and realized "Hey, NC State kinda sucks I think GSU has this" and you would have been right without all the melodrama. But I digress.

4: Arizona (10-4, 7-2 Pac-12, lost Fiesta Bowl) vs. 13: Hawai'i (4-9, 3-5 MWC, no bowl)

A word from the editor: when running this sim, I try not to make any corrections or edits unless it's really egregious. BYU not having Taysom Hill in, for example. Here, when I ran the sim neither side had more than 250 yards passing and I said "That poo poo ain't right." Arizona did win 47-25 so the score was fine but not the method. So I looked and saw that both were set to Balanced offenses, which is horseshit in every sense of the word. So after setting both to Heavy Pass, I re-ran the sim and Arizona won 42-19. There was less scoring but both sides threw for over 300 yards and in the end it means nothing so I took the second one and feel we're better off for it.

5: Duke (9-4, 5-3 ACC, lost Sun Bowl) vs. 12: Appalachian State (7-5, 6-2 Sun Belt, no bowl)

Even though this is one of the better first round matchups by overall record, I can only get so excited about Duke football and I just wrote a lot of words. Duke won 34-24 and Jamison Crowder had an okay game, 4 rec for 71 yards. NEXT

2: Ole Miss (9-4, 5-3 SEC, lost Peach Bowl) vs. 15: Southern Miss (3-9, 1-7 C-USA, no bowl)

Again, I didn't plan this matchup out. I don't know the last time they played IRL, but Southern Miss is inviting CLANGA to their house as the back part of a home and home this year. Anyway, Dr. Bo threw to the wrong team once but that was ok since Nick Mullins threw to the Rebs three times (in fact no one threw a TD, for shame) and the Rebels pasted the Golden Eagles 38-3.

7: Penn State (7-6, 2-6 Big Ten, won Pinstripe Bowl) vs. 10: Toledo (9-4, 7-1 MAC, won GoDaddy Bowl)

Toledo's been a Big Ten killer before and this matchup seemed like it could have that feel. Then Penn State scored the first 21 points in the opening half of the 1st Quarter and the rest became a formality, Nittany Lions coasting to a 28-16 victory. Toledo tried to make a runback and got within 21-16, but they took six sacks on the day and that's bad for upsets.

3: Marshall (13-1, 7-1 C-USA, won Boca Raton Bowl) vs. 14: Louisiana-Monroe (4-8, 3-5 Sun Belt, no bowl)

Marshall is the highest ranked non-power conference team by far, with Boise sitting at a 5 seed. Here, they just kinda toy with the Warhawks before putting them away 34-13. No one did anything of note, which was disappointing, since I expected this kind of result from our last first round matchup...

6: Virginia Tech (7-6, 3-5 ACC, won Military Bowl) vs. 11: Fresno State (6-8, 5-3 MWC, lost Hawai'i Bowl)

Hokies were dominating this one until Fresno got a 60 yard Pick-6 late in the first half to take a 21-10 lead into the locker room. That kind of broke the Hokies, who didn't put up much of a fight after that and lost 38-13. Fresno wasn't great either, barely getting over 300 yards of total offense. frankbeamer.jpg here.

Round of 64 Matchups - Auburn Region

1: Auburn vs. 9: Georgia Southern
4: Arizona vs. 5: Duke
2: Ole Miss vs. 7: Penn State
3: Marshall vs. 11: Fresno State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
We're done with the first round, and here's how the Round of 64 looks in case you're too lazy to scroll around:

Oregon Region

1: Oregon vs. 8: Navy
4: West Virginia vs. 5: Tennessee
2: Oklahoma vs. 7: Boston College
14: Ohio vs. 11: San Diego State

Alabama Region

1: Alabama vs. 8: Washington State
4: Miami vs. 5: South Carolina
2: Arkansas vs. 10: Indiana
3: Kansas State vs. 6: Michigan

Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State vs. 8: Oregon State
4: Nebraska vs. 5: Boise State
2: Stanford vs. 10: Western Kentucky
3: Georgia Tech vs. 11: Illinois

TCU Region

1: TCU vs. 8: Kentucky
4: Missouri vs. 5: Louisville
2: USC vs. 7: East Carolina
3: Wisconsin vs. 6: Virginia

Georgia Region

1: Georgia vs. 8: Colorado State
4: Notre Dame vs. 12: Central Michigan
2: UCLA vs. 7: UCF
14: Buffalo vs. 6: Minnesota

Baylor Region

1: Baylor vs. 8: Iowa
4: Utah vs. 5: Memphis
2: Florida State vs. 7: Maryland
3: Florida vs. 6: Texas

Michigan State Region

1: Michigan State vs. 8: North Carolina
4: Arizona State vs. 5: BYU
2: Mississippi State vs. 7: Louisiana Tech
3: Texas A&M vs. 6: Pittsburgh

Auburn Region

1: Auburn vs. 9: Georgia Southern
4: Arizona vs. 5: Duke
2: Ole Miss vs. 7: Penn State
3: Marshall vs. 11: Fresno State

And the all-important :siren: CONFERENCE SCOREBOARD :frogsiren:

ACC: 9/14
Big Ten: 11/14
Big 12: 6/10
Pac-12: 9/12
SEC: 12/14

AAC: 3/11
C-USA: 3/12
MAC: 3/13
MWC: 4/12
Sun Belt: 1/11
Indep: 3/4

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 30, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

Pakled posted:

I think you missed the Ohio State region there, bucko. :colbert:

Says you.

They've been added and Conference Scoreboard adjusted.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - OREGON REGION

1: Oregon (d. Eastern Michigan) vs. 8: Navy (d. Rutgers)

Navy came to play. The sailors scored the first two TDs of the contest and got a 49 yard dash with a minute left in the 2nd to take a 28-21 lead at the half. Oregon made the necessary adjustments and blanked the Midshipmen in the 3rd while reclaiming the lead, then held on for a 45-38 win. Navy ran for 463 but the Ducks weren't far behind at 345, plus Marcus Mariota threw for 236 and two scores, while Navy tossed it five times, completing two, for just 29 yards.

4: West Virginia (d. Old Dominion) vs. 5: Tennessee (d. Bowling Green)

These two traded the lead all game. It looked like the Couch Burners would have the last laugh after scoring with 10:31 to go for a 34-31 lead and a drive to the Vols 8 with 2:50 to go. But Tennessee got a key pick, albeit they were starting at their own 5. Needing a FG to tie, they got to the WVU 29 with 41 ticks on the clock. In the process of trying to run the clock down, Jalen Hurd got free and scored his third TD of the day, putting the Vols up 38-34. With just 23 seconds left, West Virginia didn't have enough firepower and came out on the wrong end of this one.

2: Oklahoma (d. New Mexico) vs. 7: Boston College (d. Rice)

BC was a team that loved to run the ball. Unfortunately, the best back on the field was Samaje Perine. The single-game rushing record holder went for 146 and two scores as the Sooners took out the Eagles 45-21.

14: Ohio (d. LSU) vs. 11: San Diego State (d. Houston)

Fireworks in the first half as the teams traded TDs in the opening quarter, then the Aztecs ripped off 17 unanswered in the second to take a 27-14 halftime lead. But it seemed both teams punched themselves out as no one scored in the third. Ohio scored with three left in the game to move to 27-21 and got the rock back, but did nothing with it and falls by that score. SDST's Quinn Kaehler threw for 338 yards and a score, but was picked four times and that's kinda bad.

Round of 32 Matchups - Oregon Region

1: Oregon vs. 5: Tennessee
2: Oklahoma vs. 11: San Diego State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
I'm busy this week, hoping to get an update by Thursday.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
And we're back!

ROUND OF 64 - ALABAMA REGION

1: Alabama (d. Georgia State) vs. 8: Washington State (d. Utah State)

Bama's had trouble with teams that just chuck the ball all over the field and Wazzu might be the pinnacle of that style. Oddly enough, it was a 20 yard TD dash that put the Cougars on the board first and a 39 yard run that gave them a 14-7 lead going into the 2nd quarter. Bama, of course, would rally and hit Amari Cooper from 49 yards out to tie the game at 17 all going into recess. Two TJ Yeldon 3rd Quarter TDs put Bama up 31-17, but Washington State countered with two TD passes early in the 4th to tie everything up at 37. Bama got a 32 yard FG with 3:54 left, Wazzu answered from 45 with just under a minute, but a good return on the ensuing kickoff allowed Yeldon to move the Tide into FG range, and a 27 yard kick gave Bama the narrow win, 37-34.

4: Miami (d. Ball State) vs. 5: South Carolina (d. South Alabama)

Da U beat HBC in the :911: DUCK COMMANDER INDEPENDENCE BOWL :911: 24-21 IRL. Here, the two teams slugged it out to almost that exact score in the 1st Half, Miami leading 23-21 at the break, but only the Canes scored in the 2nd Half, winning 43-21. Duke Johnson ran for 178 and a score while Brad Kayaa threw 3 TDs and no picks, and while Mike Davis matched Duke with 174 and 2 scores, Dylan Thompson couldn't live up to his end of the bargain with just 1 TD pass.

2: Arkansas (d. Wyoming) vs. 10: Indiana (d. California)

Both teams enjoy running the ball. The problem is that no one loves running the ball more than bert, and after Alex Collins ran for his third of four rushing touchdowns midway through the 2nd Quarter, Arkansas led 21-3 and wouldn't let up, winning 45-13. Hogs only ran for 297 yards to Indiana's 239, but the five total rushing TDs broke the Hoosiers' back.

3: Kansas State (d. San Jose State) vs. 6: Michigan (d. Arkansas State)

Not much doing in the first thirty as Michigan led 10-7 at the break. A Kansas State safety opened the flood gates, as they would score the next three touchdowns and even though Michigan got a 53 yard score from Drake Johnson, it wasn't enough to overcome Bill Snyder's book of spells as K-State won 31-17. After the game Brady Hoke hemmed and hawwed for twenty minutes as a reporter asked him to spell his name and whether or not football was a sport.

Round of 32 Matchups - Alabama Region

1: Alabama vs. 4: Miami
2: Arkansas vs. 3: Kansas State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - OHIO STATE REGION

1: Ohio State (d. New Mexico State) vs. 8: Oregon State (d. Texas Tech)

Winner gets to claim the OSU initials, since Okie Lite's gone. So of course the Buckeyes get the first three TDs and at 21-0 with 10:10 to go in the 2nd this sucker looks like a rout. But the Beavers show life and get two scores of their own to make it a 21-14 game at the break. It's 28-17 going into the 4th, when Ezekiel Elliott goes HAM and runs for three TDs, capping his day at 221 yards and 4 scores in total as Ohio State rolls 49-17.

4: Nebraska (d. Vanderbilt) vs. 5: Boise State (d. UTEP)

Ameer Abdullah puts Husker on the board first, with Boise then countering to take a 13-7 lead after 1. Nebraska then gets 17 unanswered until Boise hits a FG to end the 1st Half and make it a one-score game, 24-16. Boise gets a FG to pull within 24-19 with Nebraska getting another TD to take a 31-19 lead into the 4th. Then the Bluefielders put together their big rally, a FG and two scores to claim the lead 36-31. But the Fightin' Pelinis aren't done and they get a TD and a 2-pointer to reclaim a 39-36 lead with 2:20 to go. They try a 38 yard FG with :50 to go, but the tying points miss and Nebraska escapes into the Round of 32.

2: Stanford (d. Tulsa) vs. 10: Western Kentucky (d. Oklahoma State)

Hilltoppers are coming off one upset and have a gameplan for this one: jam and box and force Kevin Hogan to beat them. They succeed in the first part, allowing the Trees just 103 yards on 48 carries, but Kevin Hogan does beat the Hilltoppers, throwing for 259 yards and three TDs as Stanford wins 34-21. WKU did get a pick of Hogan from a dude named Wonderful Terry, which is just a fantastic name. Get him into the NFL please.

3: Georgia Tech (d. FAU) vs. 11: Illinois (d. Cincinnati)

For a team that likes to kill you via papercuts, GT used big plays to take the early lead, a 47 yard TD run, an 80 yard TD run, and then a 54 yard Pick 6 to go up 21-3. Illini get a TD in the waning moments of the 1st Half to make it 21-10 at the break, then after a GT FG, get a TD in the 3rd to make it 24-17, and then get the tying score with 1:37 left. Or so it would seem, as Illinois proceeds to miss the loving extra point to remain down 24-23. Ramblin' Wreck recovers the onside and it's all over and Illinois loses in the most Clemson way possible.

Round of 32 - Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State vs. 4: Nebraska
2: Stanford vs. 3: Georgia Tech

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - TCU REGION

1: TCU (d. SMU) vs. 8: Kentucky (d. Northwestern)

Kentucky came to play and hung in with the Frogs in the 1st half, even taking a 21-20 lead into the locker room at the break. But Trevone Boykin ran for a TD to put TCU up, then a 69 yard punt return TD just about broke the Cats. UK got a FG in the 4th to make it 34-24, but a 72 yard TD run broke Kentucky as TCU won 41-24. Lexington residents shrugged and resumed harassing basketball recruits on Twitter.

4: Missouri (d. UTSA) vs. 5: Louisville (d. Kansas)

It was a FG party in the first half as both teams combined to kick five, three for the Cards and two for the Tigers. Louisville also had the audacity to score two TDs to Mizzou's one and led 23-13 at half. But Missouri figured out how to shut down Louisville's offense and held them scoreless in the 2nd, and tied the game at 23 midway through the fourth. However, it looked like we were heading to OT until the seventh FG of the game went through for Mizzou with thirty ticks to go. Louisville couldn't rally and the Tigers escaped 26-23. Seven field goals. gently caress me.

2: USC (d. Army) vs. 7: East Carolina (d. Louisiana-Lafayette)

The bad part about being a gunslingin' team is when the other team outslings you when just playing their game. As was the life for the Pirates, who threw for 295 yards to USC's 311. Even worse, ECU ran 31 times for 35 yards which is completely dreadful, whereas the Trojans picked up 124 yards. Needless to say, USC controlled every aspect of this game and cruised to a 34-17 win.

3: Wisconsin (d. North Texas) vs. 6: Virginia (d. Western Michigan)

Clearly inspired by the Missouri-Louisville contest, UVA decided to try and win by only kicking field goals. They tried eight, making six, which I guess isn't too bad when you consider the two they missed were from 50 and 42. On the other hand, Wisconsin decided they had Melvin Gordon and they should have him run into the end zone since that was worth more points. Gordon did that twice, and after the Badgers kicked four FGs of their own (sigh), Wisconsin won 26-18. I swear to loving god if these teams don't stop kicking field goals instead of playing football I'm pulling this car over and turning around 10 loving combined FGs what the christ y'all this ain't right.

Round of 32 - FGTCU Region

1: TCU vs. 4: Missouri
2: USC vs. 3: Wisconsin

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - GEORGIA REGION

1: Georgia (d. Idaho) vs. 8: Colorado State (d. Temple)

Nick Chubb was a beast early on, with rushes of 52 and 65 yards for scores. However, CSU showed that they were willing to fight, throwing the ball all over the place and tying the game at 14 heading into the break. The teams traded TDs in the third before CSU completely broke the game open, scoring the next four touchdowns and putting this game away. Georgia got one last pity TD with a minute to go, but all it did was make the final margin 49-28 as the first 1 seed falls.

4: Notre Dame (d. South Florida) vs. 12: Central Michigan (d. Washington)

Not much doing in the first thirty as each team found the promised land once. CMU took the lead 14-7, but Notre Dame scored the next 17 to lead 24-14. With six left to go in the 4th Quarter, CMU got Deon Butler's second TD to make it a three point game, but missed desperation kicks from 51 and 58 to allow the Irish to escape 24-21 and potentially take control of this region.

2: UCLA (d. UMass) vs. 7: UCF (d. Syracuse)

Determined not to let what happened to Georgia or Clemson happen to them (and ain't it just about fair that both Georgia and Clemson were in the same region and both just happened to crap themselves? I swear I'm not rigging this), UCLA blows the Knights out of the water in the 1st Half, leading 34-3. They let off the gas a little bit in the second, but still dominate 47-13. Brett Hundley threw three TDs and no picks, so good for him.

14: Buffalo (d. Clemson) vs. 6: Minnesota (d. Middle Tennessee)

Not a pretty one early, with Minnesota determined to use their superior size and strength to dominate their MAC foe. It worked early on as the Gophers led 10-7 at the half and 13-7 after three, but as you see Minn wasn't getting points. When Buffalo stopped trying to run the Gophers and went full MACtion with the passing game, everything turned around as they got a 4th Quarter TD to take the lead 14-13 and an insurance FG with :44 left to pull off their second upset 17-13. Not only will Minnesota not win this tournament of mine, we all now have an upset favorite to pull for at least until UCLA grinds them into paste.

Round of 32 Matchups - Georgia Region

8: Colorado State vs. 4: Notre Dame
2: UCLA vs. 14: Buffalo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

Grittybeard posted:

How did Mizzou score 5 points without a field goal?

I somehow believe they would have managed it despite themselves after thinking about it for a minute.

Mizzou scoring, as best as I can remember it: FG, FG, TD to get to 13 at the half, FG/TD combo to tie at 23, FG to get to 26.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - BAYLOR REGION

1: Baylor (d. Troy) vs. 8: Iowa (d. Nevada)

Baylor beat the holy hell out of Iowa in the opening quarter, with a FG, a safety, and 2 TDs to go up 19-0 and it looked like this would be a good ol' fashioned country asswhippin' until Iowa ran in a couple of TDs early in the 2nd and made it a game. Baylor was fine to continue scoring, it's generally what they do, but Iowa was satisfied with hitting their 2 TD quota and contently kicked FGs the rest of the game. Needless to say, Baylor won, 42-23. While they hit their TD quota Iowa only punted four times, disappointing their many fans.

4: Utah (d. Wake Forest) vs. 5: Memphis (d. Iowa State)

So I've never heard of Devontae Booker before today, because honestly I don't watch Utah football. But it turns out he's pretty good at running the handegg. He had two scores in the 1st Half (65 yards and 2 yards) and capped off the game with his third score, a 47 yard effort, to cinch his 28 rush, 261 yard, 3 TD day and a 34-17 Utah win. Memphis only ran for 175 as a team, for comparison. Normally I'd insult them but 261 yards is a lot, yo.

2: Florida State (d. UConn) vs. 7: Maryland (d. Air Force)

Remember a couple of years ago, before Maryland bailed for the most glorious Big Ten and before Jameis decided to steal that girl and rape those crab legs, that FSU's start was a fluke and Winston wasn't that good and Maryland's D was going to shut FSU down? And that FSU went and beat the dogpiss out of Maryland in response? That's kinda how this game went as the Noles won 51-10. Jameis, an unconvicted rapist, was 26-34, 306 yards, and 5 TDs.

3: Florida (d. Tulane) vs. 6: Texas (d. UAB)

Florida won 25-20. You might think, "25 points? That's an odd number how did that happen?" It happened because Will Muschamp is a stupid caveman of a coach who had his team kick a bunch of FGs and they somehow backdoored their way into 2 TDs and missed the XP on one of those because they can't even fail right. Texas at least had the decency to score TDs, three in fact, but also got into the incompetence act by missing an XP as well. So we get Florida State vs. Florida in the Round of 32. I think we all know how it's going to end.

Round of 32 Matchups - Baylor Region

1: Baylor vs. 4: Utah
2: Florida State vs. 3: Florida

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - MICHIGAN STATE REGION

1: Michigan State (d. UNLV) vs. 8: North Carolina (d. Northern Illinois)

Everyone gets all excited for this one and then it's not Izzo and Roy coming out and then everyone gets all sad and leaves. Which is too bad, because while what they miss is low-scoring, it's a good one. Sparty leads 10-7 at the break, UNC quickly ties it and the teams trade TDs, going into the 4th tied at 17. Heels take the lead with a chip shot FG, but get trapped in their own end of the field and have to take a safety. However, that allows them to keep a one-point lead, 20-19, and when Sparty misses a long 52-yard FG it looks like our second 1 Seed will fall. Spartans don't quit, however, and after stuffing UNC with 2:30 to go, drive the field and connect with a 39-yard FG to claim a 22-20 lead. UNC still has a little less than a minute on the clock and they get just outside of FG range themselves. Alas, they can't hit from 53 and Sparty escapes with the 22-20 win.

4: Arizona State (d. FIU) vs. 5: BYU (d. Texas State)

One of the most notorious party schools in America, known from debauchery and hooliganism, takes on Arizona State. We start with yet another safety as the Cougars hold strong and take a 2-0 lead which ends up being our final how about that. Devils bounce back with a pair of TDs but BYU gets a 46 yard TD run (and a missed XP), along with a FG to tie the game at 14 all at half. ASU does all the scoring in the 3rd but not much of it, a FG and a TD with yet another missed XP to go up 9. Taysom Hill takes over in the 4th, running in for a score to move BYU within 2, 23-21. Sun Devils burn the majority of the clock and get an insurance FG to go up five with :39 seconds left, not enough time for BYU to do anything, as Arizona State wins 26-21. After the game BYU, who sacked QB Taylor Kelly a ridiculous seven times, jumps ASU in the parking lot because that's how Mormons settle their grudges.

2: Mississippi State (d. Kent State) vs. 7: Louisiana Tech (d. Colorado)

It was basically the Josh Robinson and Dak Prescott show, as on any given play one of the two would try to run the ball past the line of scrimmage. Robinson did ok, 145 yards and a score on 18 tries but Prescott struggled, 24 yards on 17 rushes. And while Dak only threw the ball nine times, he connected on seven of those passes for 154 yards and two scores as CLANGA survived Louisiana Tech 31-16. LaTech threw a lot more, going for 300 yards, but no TDs and were picked twice.

3: Texas A&M (d. Akron) vs. 6: Pittsburgh (d. Purdue)

You would figure that a ground and pound team like the Panthers would avoid getting into a shootout with a spread offense team like the Aggies. But that's exactly what happened as Pitt scored four TDs in the 2nd Quarter! A&M wasn't laying down, though they trailed 35-24 at the break. After going with a defensive plan of "jam like 12 or 13 guys into the box", A&M shut down the Pitt attack, scoring the next four TDs themselves and keeping Pitt off the board until a TD with four minutes left made it 52-42. Despite only being down two possession, Pitt didn't have enough firepower left after expending a year's worth and went down in defeat. James Connor was godlike for Pitt, 251 yards rushing and three scores. Kyle Allen threw for a buncha yards but was picked three times. Pitt's kick, Chris Blewitt, missed his only two FG tries of the game, which you would have to expect to happen I mean look at the man's loving name.

Round of 32 Matchups - Michigan State Region

1: Michigan State vs. 4: Arizona State
2: Mississippi State vs. 3: Texas A&M

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

kayakyakr posted:

no upsets allowed.

This has been disappointingly chalk. When it's over I'll figure out the upset numbers but there's only been a handful. I know we can't expect the bottom-feeders of the world to beat a Top 10 team all the time but I figured someone like a Boise would have a better showing. Buffalo or Bust I guess.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 64 - AUBURN REGION

1: Auburn (d. Miami Ohio) vs. 9: Georgia Southern (d. NC State)

A whole buncha runnin' the goddang baww, but in totally different fashions that the sim has no way of accounting for, mostly. In terms of yardage GSU won handily, 56 rushes for 404 yards as compared to 270 on 55 for War Eagle. However, Nick Marshall might be the best at throwing the ball without setting his feet or doing any of that traditional QB poo poo, as he propelled Auburn to a 23-10 halftime lead. Golden Eagles weren't done, as they scored three TDs in the 4th to take the lead at 30-26 with 2:30 left. But Auburn had some bullshit up their sleeves as they drove down to the 8 with :17 left, where Marshall found Sammie Coates for the winning score, 33-26. GSU totally should have made a bowl this past year.

4: Arizona (d. Hawai'i) vs. 5: Duke (d. Appalachian State)

The only times a team scored twice in a row was Duke getting a Shaq Powell TD in the 1st and then a FG in the 2nd. It meant a close game, as Duke led 20-17 going into the 4th, where the teams traded TDs before a Wildcat FG tied the game at 27 with 4:30 left. However, Duke took their time, drove down to the 3 with thirty ticks left on the clock, and kicked the game winning 20 yard FG to advance 30-27. After the game Coach K cut down the goalpost.

2: Ole Miss (d. Southern Miss) vs. 7: Penn State (d. Toledo)

Sweet Jesus was this a shitshow. Neither team could run the ball, combining for 200 yards. To complicate matters, the QBs couldn't hit the broadside of a barn either; Christian Hackenberg was 12 of 31 for 165 yards and three picks. His counterpart, the esteemed Bo Wallace, M.D., was 18 for 37 for 278 yards. However, the good doctor only threw one pick and threw a TD pass as well, which was more than what the Rebs needed to advance, 14-3.

3: Marshall (d. Louisiana-Monroe) vs. 11: Fresno State (d. Virginia Tech)

The final second round matchup could have been better than the last game if they just all fell down like electronic football players. Fresno led 10-0 after one, but Marshall buckled down and limited Fresno to just three more FGs the rest of the way while uncorking their offense and dominating, 41-19. Rakeem Cato wasn't great, 18-33, 207 yards, 3 TDs but 3 INTs as well.

Round of 32 Matchups - Auburn Region

1: Auburn vs. 5: Duke
2: Ole Miss vs. 3: Marshall

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
32 teams remain so this will speed up just a little bit as I combine regions going forward. Here's what we have to look forward to!

OREGON REGION

1: Oregon vs. 5: Tennessee
2: Oklahoma vs. 11: San Diego State

ALABAMA REGION

1: Alabama vs. 4: Miami
2: Arkansas vs. 3: Kansas State

OHIO STATE REGION

1: Ohio State vs. 4: Nebraska
2: Stanford vs. 3: Georgia Tech

TCU REGION

1: TCU vs. 4: Missouri
2: USC vs. 3: Wisconsin

GEORGIA REGION

8: Colorado State vs. 4: Notre Dame
2: UCLA vs. 14: Buffalo

BAYLOR REGION

1: Baylor vs. 4: Utah
2: Florida State vs. 3: Florida

MICHIGAN STATE REGION

1: Michigan State vs. 4: Arizona State
2: Mississippi State vs. 3: Texas A&M

AUBURN REGION:

1: Auburn vs. 5: Duke
2: Ole Miss vs. 3: Marshall

And the all important :siren: CONFERENCE SCOREBOARD :frogsiren:

ACC: 4/14
B1G: 4/14
B12: 4/10
P12: 6/12
SEC: 10/14

AAC: 0/11
CUSA: 1/12
MAC: 1/13
MWC: 1/12
SUN: 0/11
IND: 1/4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Time for Round 3!

ROUND OF 32 - OREGON REGION

1: Oregon (d. Eastern Michigan, Navy) vs. 5: Tennessee (d. Bowling Green, West Virginia)

Vols did a good job of keeping the Quackers off the board in the first quarter, getting a short TD pass themselves to take the lead. Ducks evened it early in the 2nd, then kicked a pair of FGs (sigh) to take a six point lead, cut to three with a long Tennessee FG for a 13-10 Oregon halftime lead. Oregon got two scores in the third, same as Tennessee except one of those was a FG. Vols did tie the game 27-all midway through the 4th, but a short Royce Freeman run for his third TD of the day put Oregon up for good with five minutes left. Ducks advance to the Sweet 16. Tennessee was led by Pig Howard in receptions, and I can only imagine his parents must have hated him for that to be his name.

2: Oklahoma (d. New Mexico, Boston College) vs. 11: San Diego State (d. Houston, Ohio)

For all the love they've gotten for being one of two double-digit seeds in the Round of 32, this is the first Power 5 conference team the Aztecs are facing. Sooners show up early with a FG and a Samaje Perine 5-yard TD scamper, but SDSU gets on the board with a 1-yard TD plunge of their own. They trade TDs in the second half and take the third quarter off before poo poo gets real in the 4th. SDSU ties the game with a FG 17-17, Perine gets a 60-yard TD run, SDSU kicks another FG because this sim loving loves field goals, Perine gets an even longer TD run, 67 yards this time, for his third score of the game. Aztecs finally realize they can't match TDs with FGs and get one midway through the fourth, and tack on a 2-point conversion to be down one score, 31-28. Getting the ball back with five to go, SDSU kills four minutes before kicking a short FG to tie the game at 31. Sooners can't do anything with the minute they have left and we go to OT. OK gets the rock first but miss a 35 yard field goal and it looks like they'll be SDSU's latest upset victim. But the Sooner D buckles down and causes the Aztecs to lose yardage, and their even longer FG try for the win, from 46, misses left. Our first 2OT game, SDSU once again goes backwards and miss left once more, this time from 51. Sooners pound Perine down to the 7, where they boot a casual 24 yarder to win 34-31.

Round of 16 Matchup - Oregon Region

1: Oregon vs. 2: Oklahoma

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 MATCHUPS - ALABAMA REGION

1: Alabama (d. Georgia State, Washington State) vs. 4: Miami (d. Ball State, South Carolina)

Bama nearly was upset by Wazzu because the Tide don't do well with teams that say gently caress It I'm Going Deep. Fortunately for them, Miami isn't that style a team. Regardless, Bama found themselves in another shootout, with Duke Johnson ripping off 49 and 70 yard TDs runs in the 1st. Not to be outside, TJ Yeldon went 49 for a score and Amari Cooper grabbed a short score. Add a Miami FG and they led 17-14 after one, not the way Bama wanted this to go. They settled down in the 2nd, with Bama hitting two short FGs (again why) for a 20-17 lead at the break. Johnson got his third score early in the 3rd to put Da U back up, which was countered by yet another Tide FG and a TD to lead 30-24 after three. More trading of FGs because this sim hates me before TJ Yeldon went 38 for his second score and Bama led 39-27 due to missing the two-pointer. Duke Johnson got his fourth TD of the game on a 59 yard scamper and it was a five point game, 39-34. Yeldon finally put Alabama up for good with his third score, and one last FG for the road advanced the Crimson Tide 49-34. Yeldon was 182 yards on 24 rushes, 3 scores, but Duke Johnson outdid him with 293 yards on 23 runs and four TDs.

2: Arkansas (d. Wyoming, Indiana) vs. 3: Kansas State (d. San Jose State, Michigan)

Nothing much happened in the 1st Quarter, Bill Snyder hadn't woken up yet and bert wouldn't come out until he could control his throbbing erection from the last game. Hogs did get a FG in the 1st, but things finally broke open in the second. Both teams traded two touchdowns and a K-State FG tied everything at 17 after thirty minutes of play. Pigs looked to put the game away in the third after another trading of FGs with Jonathan Williams running for 32 and 64 yard touchdowns and they led 34-20, 37-20 early in the 4th after another FG. But Bill Snyder used a Phoenix Down and his Wildcats came storming back, a Jake Waters QB scramble with 16 seconds left to tie the game at 37 all, since Snyder elected to kick the XP instead of going for two and the win. Our second OT game of this round, Arky forces K-State back and they settle for a FG, whereas bert pounds the rock some more and Jonathan Williams gets his third TD to advance Arkansas 44-40. The first place and last place teams in the SEC West will meet in the Round of 16. Oddly enough, bert only ran 39 times, outclassed by K-State running 60 times. Arkansas did outrush their opponents however, 218 to 203.

Round of 16 Matchup - Alabama Region

1: Alabama vs. 2: Arkansas

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

JesustheDarkLord posted:

His real name is Alton Howard.

Praise Allah. These days you can't ever be certain what's a nickname or not.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 - OHIO STATE REGION

1: Ohio State (d. New Mexico State, Oregon State) vs. 4: Nebraska (d. Vanderbilt, Boise State)

Backs were impactful early, as Ezekiel Elliott and Ameer Abdullah each had short TD runs in the 1st. Buckeyes kicked a FG to take a 10-7 1st Quarter lead, but Huskers countered with a score and a long FG to go up 17-10, and kept the lead at the break even with the Buckeyes putting another three on the board. We all skipped the 3rd Quarter, and three seconds in the 4th Elliott got his second TD with a short 1-yard dash to put Ohio State up 20-17. Not to be outdone, Abdullah went 66 yards a little more than a minute later to reclaim the lead for the Huskers 24-20. Finally a QB decided to have an impact in this game as J.T. Barrett ran in from 8 yard out to put OSU up 27-24, and Nebraska missed a 58 yard FG for the tie as time ran short. Postgame, Bo Pelini whipped Taylor Martinez with his belt for old times' sake.

2: Stanford (d. Tulsa, Western Kentucky) vs. 3: Georgia Tech (d. FAU, Illinois)

Let's run the ball some loving more!

Now, Tech's wishbone is great against teams that rely more on athleticism and instinct over scheme. Stanford, however, isn't one of those teams, and it's hard to see how the wishbone would do a number on them when they're one of the few schools capable of shutting down Oregon's offense. Or at least slowing it down. They trade TD runs in the 1st, and then get into a FG kicking contest (....) in the 2nd, Stanford winning that 2-1 for a 13-10 halftime lead. From there the Trees would take over, scoring the next three TDs to effectively put this one away. GT gets back into it late but it's a throwing score, and if Paul Johnson is throwing the ball you know things have gone wrong. It's also for naught, as Stanford gets a 79 yard TD run from Barry Sanders to counter the counter and win 41-18. Either Barry did one of those grad transfer things from OkieSt like 25 years after the fact or that's his kid and it makes me feel really, really old.

Round of 16 Matchup - Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State vs. 2: Stanford

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 MATCHUPS - TCU REGION

1: TCU (d. SMU, Kentucky) vs. 4: Missouri (d. UTSA, Louisville)

#DisrespectedTeams. We all know how TCU split the Big 12 title with Baylor and fell out of the playoff because of reasons. At 10-2 in the regular season last year, Missouri should have had a case to been in one of the New Years' Bowls, except that they lost to Indiana and that knocked them out, which is a pretty good reason to be honest. Frogs go up 10-0 after one and it seems like it's just an inevitability until they advance. But Mizzou wakes up in the 2nd, scoring twice to take the lead 14-10. Trevone Boykin runs in from 3 yards out to put TCU back on top 17-14, but the Tigers tie the game with a FG for a 17-all halftime score. Somehow, Missouri, loving Missouri, shuts out TCU and that explosive offense in the second half while getting two Russell Hansbrough rushing TDs, giving him three for the game, to knock out our second 1-Seed 31-17. Mizzou, did that great D-Line play they've had, did sack Boykin six times so I guess that had something to do with it.

2: USC (d. Army, East Carolina) vs. 3: Wisconsin (d. North Texas, Virginia)

Melvin Gordon stormed out of the game with a 52-yard TD run to put Badgers on the board first. But it was countered by Javorius Allen matching that run to the foot and tying the game up, and so the rushing matchup was on. Gordon went for 225 on 28 carries, but only found the end zone that one time. Allen, meanwhile, had 236 yards on two less carries, and ended up rushing for 13, 61, 6, and 8 yard scores after his 1st Quarter dash to effectively beat the Badgers by himself, 49-27. The 13/61/6 yard scores all came in the 2nd, and while USC only led 35-24 at that point this sucker was over.

Round of 16 Matchup - TCU Region

4: Missouri vs. 2: USC

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

JRizzle posted:

How the hell did Mizzou upset TCU

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously, I don't know and I ran the drat sim.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 MATCHUPS - GEORGIA REGION

8: Colorado State (d. Temple, Georgia) vs. 4: Notre Dame (d. South Florida, Central Michigan)

Here's the bad side about CSU knocking out The Dawgz: it means Notre Dame has a potentially easier path to the Sweet 16. Irish take the lead off a safety and then a 11 yard TD run. CSU gets on the board with a FG in the 2nd but it's a 9-3 Notre Dame lead at the break. ND matches the FG for the only points in the 3rd, and then what feels like the backbreaking TD midway through the 4th for a 19-3 lead. But that finally wakes up the Rams, who get their first TD of the game two minutes later and an 2-pointer to make it a one possession game, 19-11. Irish get some insurance with 1:39 left with a chip shot FG to go back up by two scores, but CSU scores from 55 yards out to make it 22-17. Alas, they fail to get their second 2-pointer, Notre Dame gets the onside kick, and that's game.

2: UCLA (d. UMass, UCF) vs. 14: Buffalo (d. Clemson, Minnesota)

The Buffs are the last double-digit seed left alive in this dance and when they get a 50-yard TD run midway through the first to go up 7-3 on the Bruins, it looks like the dream is still alive. However, UCLA then goes on a 42-3 run for which Buffalo has no answer for until they get a meaningless garbage time TD late in this one for a final of 45-17. Bad news for anyone who enjoys rooting for the underdog, but potentially good news for Irish haters, since let's be honest UCLA was gonna have a better shot than Buffalo was.

Round of 16 Matchup - Georgia Region

4: Notre Dame vs. 2: UCLA

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 MATCHUPS - BAYLOR REGION

1: Baylor (d. Troy, Iowa) vs. 4: Utah (d. Wake Forest, Memphis)

With TCU upset by Missouri, Baylor remains the Big 12's best hopes of winning this whole thing, unless you think OK can bang with the Ducks. Both are fairly evenly matched early, but Jay Lee catches two TD's in the second, including a 49 yarder with time running out in the 2nd for the Bearmobile to drive to a 24-14 lead at recess. They trade TDs in the 3rd, but the Utes explode in the 4th. A safety, FG, and Bubba Poole TD puts Utah up 32-31 with five to play. Baylor reclaims the lead with 1:29 left at 34-32, but it's Utah who cranks their offense into overdrive and score less than a minute later for a 39-34 lead. Needing a TD, Bryce Petty only gets his team over midfield before time runs out, and the second Big 12 1-Seed goes down in flames before escaping their own region.

2: Florida State (d. UConn, Maryland) vs. 3: Florida (d. Tulane, Texas)

These two played IRL, of course, and needless to say the Noles won and sent Will Muschamp packing to the plains. Here, the Gators show some life with a 59 yard 1st Quarter TD (with a missed XP of course, Muschamp can't have too many points at one time), until FSU dominates the 2nd with a Rashad Greene TD and two FGs for a 13-6 halftime lead. Jameis Winston, who decided that a woman's body belonged to him, threw two TD passes in the 3rd quarter. One was to Greene for his second score of the game, the other was to a Florida defender who took it 85 yards for a TD and to keep Gator in the game. A third FSU FG put them back up by 10 early in the 4th, but Muschamp must have taken a nap or something because his team proceeded to score twice, albeit one was a 43-yard punt return TD and Florida went up 27-23. However, FSU's ability to pull wins out of their rear end continued, as they hit from 39 to pull within one, and then got the game-winning FG from 45 to win 29-27. Winston was bad, 26-46 286 yards and 2 TDs/INTs, but better than Jeff Driskel at 6-20, 97 yards, a TD and an INT.

Round of 16 Matchup - Baylor Region

4: Utah vs. 2: Florida State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 MATCHUPS - MICHIGAN STATE REGION

1: Michigan State (d. UNLV, North Carolina) vs. 4: Arizona State (d. Florida International, BYU)

Boy they'll just let any ol' matchup in the Rose Bowl these days. A surprisingly even matchup considering the styles involved. Sparty struck first midway through the 1st on a short TD pass that was countered by ASU seconds into the 2nd quarter. Each team also got a FG before going into the half deadlocked at ten. That was the story in the second half as well, Devils got a 10 yard TD pass in the 3rd but MSU rallied with an 8 yard TD run, and then both kicked FGs in the 4th to send this contest to Overtime. Sparty finally buckled down in the extra period, holding ASU to a FG and pounding their way in from six yards out to hold off the Sun Devils, 27-23.

2: Mississippi State (d. Kent State, Louisiana Tech) vs. 3: Texas A&M (d. Akron, Pittsburgh)

I guess as a warmup for the Bama-Arky runback next round, we'll have this inter-SEC West matchup. IRL Dak Prescott threw two TDs and ran for three as #CLANGA won 48-31. Here, the Aggies kept Dak Prescott to just one rushing TD and prevented the QB from throwing any. Alas, that left Josh Robinson with mismatches he took advantage of, as the bowling ball RB ran for three TDs and Cowbell again beat the Dogfuckers, 34-24. A&M did have nine different receivers catch a pass, which I guess is nice.

Round of 16 Matchup - Michigan State Region

1: Michigan State vs. 2: Mississippi State

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 32 MATCHUPS - AUBURN REGION

1: Auburn (d. Miami Ohio, Georgia Southern) vs. 5: Duke (d. App State, Arizona)

Is Duke much improved these past couple seasons? Absolutely. Are they ready to really hang with the big boys however? Not quite, as Auburn puts a hurting on the Blue Devil D to the tune of a 49-31 whuppin. Auburn led 28-7 at the break and even though Duke scored three TDs in the 3rd, they never pulled within a single score in the 2nd Half. War Eagle ran 51 times for 375 yards, by which I mean Cameron Artis-Payne ran 29 times for 325 yards and 5 of Auburn's scores, which I think is the best this tournament has seen.

2: Ole Miss (d. Southern Miss, Penn State) vs. 3: Marshall (d. Louisiana-Monroe, Fresno State)

Due to being a 3-seed, this is Marshall's first game against a Power 5 opponent. The good news is that they were facing Dr. Bo, who is the cure for a struggling defense. Wallace wasn't Good Bo or Bad Bo but Mediocre Bo, 18-30 196 yards, a TD and a pick. However, the Rebel D didn't show up in the 1st Half as after kicking the opening FG, Marshall ran off all their points, leading 34-3 midway through the 3rd. Ole Miss did figure out how to play football again, scoring 20 unanswered as they tried a 2-pointer in there for some reason, but you don't advance only playing 30 minutes of football as Marshall becomes the only non-power conference team in the Sweet 16, 34-23.

Round of 16 Matchup - Auburn Region

1: Auburn vs. 3: Marshall

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
So we're down to 16! Here's what the next round looks like as each region's "championship" is up for grabs!

OREGON REGION

1: Oregon vs. 2: Oklahoma

ALABAMA REGION

1: Alabama vs. 2: Arkansas

OHIO STATE REGION

1: Ohio State vs. 2: Stanford

TCU REGION

4: Missouri vs. 2: USC

GEORGIA REGION

4: Notre Dame vs. 2: UCLA

BAYLOR REGION

4: Utah vs. 2: Florida State

MICHIGAN STATE REGION

1: Michigan State vs. 2: Mississippi State

AUBURN REGION

1: Auburn vs. 3: Marshall

For those of you counting, that's 5 1-Seeds, 7 2-Seeds (Ole Miss the only 2 to lose), 1 3-Seed and 3 4-Seeds. Which leads into the all-important :siren:CONFERENCE SCOREBOARD:frogsiren:

ACC: 1/14
B1G: 2/14
B12: 1/10
P12: 5/12
SEC: 5/14

AAC: 0/11
CUSA: 1/12
MAC: 0/12
MWC: 0/12
Sun: 0/11
Ind: 1/4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 16 MATCHUPS

Oregon Region

1: Oregon (d. Eastern Michigan, Navy, Tennessee) vs. 2: Oklahoma (d. New Mexico, Boston College, San Diego State)

Very little early on, as Duck boots a FG in the 1st for the only points and a second one to lead 6-0 before Samaje Perine finally breaks through for a 46 yard TD catch and Sooner takes the lead. Oregon had a counter-punch before the end of the half with Royce Freeman running one in from just outside of the red zone and Oregon leads 13-7 at the break. That lead gets extended on Freeman's second TD of the day five minutes into the third. One OK FG later, Freeman caps his hat trick with a one-yard TD plunge and Oregon looks like this one is on lock, leading 27-10. Perine tries to make up the difference himself with his second score, also a one-yarder, as Oklahoma pulls to 27-17, but Marcus Mariota finally makes his presence known as he breaks the Sooner's backs with a 73 yard TD bomb with 2:16 left that makes it 34-17, and Oklahoma can't make up that difference. Duckies win their own region and advance to play the winner of the Auburn region.

Alabama Region

1: Alabama (d. Georgia State, Washington State, Miami) vs. 2: Arkansas (d. Wyoming, Indiana, Kansas State)

IRL this was a shitshow this past year, Bama escaping 14-13, though the previous two seasons were 52-0 blowouts in favor of the Tide, and I challenge anyone to find me a matchup where two years in a row it was 52-0 in favor of someone. Here, Saban figured out the key to beating bert was to jam at least 11 in the box and force QB Brandon Allen to beat them. The GodKing was right, as the Hogs only ran for 96 yards on 40 carries, which is far below what they've done before, while Allen was 20-37 for 277 yards, a TD and a pick. However, Arkansas kept Bama out of the end zone as well, forcing kicker Adam Griffith, whom we all know as this bastion of accuracy, to boot Bama to victory. He did, hitting four of six tries, and once Derrick Henry broke through for a score bert had no answer that didn't involve eating his own weight in cottage cheese, Bama winning 26-10.

Ohio State Region

1: Ohio State (d. New Mexico State, Oregon State, Nebraska) vs. 2: Stanford (d. Tulsa, Western Kentucky, Georgia Tech)

Surprisingly evenly matched, with a 3-3 game at the half leading to a 10-all game into the 4th. Ezekiel Elliott scored from one yard out to put the Buckeyes up 17-10. The Trees were happy to grind their way down the field, and in a drive that took about six minutes tied the game on a three yard plunge. Ohio State falters on their next drive and just past midfield with 1:41 left, Stanford claimed the lead on a 45 yard TD pass to go up 24-17. That's still lots of time left on the clock for a good team these days, and the Buckeyes get down to the Stanford 20. Two passes into the end zone don't fall into Ohio State hands, and the IRL national champs don't make it out of their own region here. I'm officially protesting this sim.

TCU Region

4: Missouri (d. UTSA, Louisville, TCU) vs. 2: USC (d. Army, East Carolina, Wisconsin)

Both teams dropped some bombs early, Trojans hitting from 39 yards out and Mizzou countering to tie the game at seven midway through the first. USC booted a FG to take a 10-7 lead after 1, and then the two traded TDs once more. From there, 17-14 USC lead with 10 left in the 1st Half, it became a FG kicking contest, just to piss me off. Six alternating FGs were kicked with USC still holding onto their three point lead, until Mizzou finally broke into the end zone with 4:26 left to claim their first lead of the day. Trojans didn't lie down, throwing from 13 yards out to retake the advantage 33-30 with 1:22 left. Tigers had enough left to move into FG range, and despite their late kicking struggles they connect from 46 yards out to send the game into OT. Missouri boots their fifth field goal to take the initial lead, but USC is tired of this kicking bullshit and elects to have Nelson Agholor score from 10 yards out to claim the TCU region, 40-36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
ROUND OF 16 MATCHUPS

Georgia Region

4: Notre Dame (d. South Florida, Central Michigan, Colorado State) vs. 2: UCLA (d. UMass, UCF, Buffalo)

UCLA drills one from 50 to start the scoring, then Brett Hundley runs in from 10 yards away to give the Bruins a two-possession lead. The Irish counter with a FG and a rushing TD of their own to tie the game up, and decide that's enough scoring for one day. The greedy Bruins decide otherwise and proceed to put more points on the board, another two TDs and FGs to eliminate the Irish and win the Georgia region 30-10. Hundley didn't have superstar numbers, 14-19 for 114 and a passing TD to go with the rushing one, but he was better than future FSU QB Everett Golston, who was 16-34 for 246, no TDs and two picks. Technically UCLA still hasn't have played a Power 5 member due to the Irish's Independent status, but that's splitting hairs.

Baylor Region

4: Utah (d. Wake Forest, Memphis, Baylor) vs. 2: Florida State (d. UConn, Maryland, Florida)

Evenly matched through the 1st Quarter with each team putting seven on the board, the 2nd Quarter belongs to the Utes, who take a 20-7 lead thanks to a Devontae Booker TD and two FGs. This puts FSU in a familiar position, trailing a seemingly inferior opponent, and the Noles reacted as they normally did, two TDs in the 3rd sandwiching a Utah FG to make it a two point lead for the Mormons, 23-21. Karlos Williams changed that with nine minutes left to put FSU up 28-23, and a long Ute FG was blocked with five minutes left. Add in one more defensive stand and it's another come from behind win for Florida State. Jameis Winston, who hears but doesn't understand the word "no", was 17-25, 255 yards, one TD and one INT.

Michigan State Region

1: Michigan State (d. UNLV, North Carolina, Arizona State) vs. 2: Mississippi State (d. Kent State, Louisiana Tech, Texas A&M)

Two also-rans in their home state that have recently made good and surpassed their older brothers clash here for the region. Both sides landed haymakers early, #CLANGA with a 27 yard TD pass countered by a Sparty 43 yard bomb in the 1st Quarter. The second saw more of the same, Spartans with a short TD pass answered by a 24 yard TD run that saw the game tied at the half, 14-14. Things opened up a bit in the 3rd, Bulldogs kicking a FG to take the lead before Josh Robinson found his way to the promised land from 11 out. That meant Jeremy Langford had to respond, which he did from 25 yards to make it a 24-21 game. Then we get to the 4th and this ride finally goes off the rails. Langford rushes for his second score and Sparty goes up 28-24. Cowbell can only respond with a FG to pull within one, which looks bad once Michigan State gets a TD pass with 6:53 left but they elect to only kick the XP, meaning they're up eight instead of a potential nine. Josh Robinson puts the Bulldogs on his back, running in from ten yards out with Prescott finishing the 2-pointer to tie the game at 35, 4:31 left. Clanga forces a quick stop and blocks Sparty's punt to have a short field, which allows Robinson to convert the block into 7 from 22 yards and now Miss St is up 42-35, 2:29 left. Sparty pounds their way downfield and Langford gets his second score from one yard out with 29 seconds left and we're headed to OT. Or so we think, because CLANGA blocks the XP, their second kick block in the quarter, and recover the ensuing onside kick to win 42-41. Hell of a game and one I'd have paid good money to see. Also good to see the upstart SEC actually knock off a member of the Big Ten, that plucky conference down south needs all the respect and luck it can get against the men of college football.

Auburn Region

1: Auburn (d. Miami Ohio, Georgia Southern, Duke) vs. 3: Marshall (d. Louisiana-Monroe, Fresno State, Ole Miss)

This one should have just a little bit of scoring. Devon Johnson runs in from 11 yards out to put Marshall on the board, which Auburn can only answer with a FG in the 1st Quarter. Two quick strikes from Marshall has the underdogs leading 21-3 and the possibility of an upset looms large. But the GusBus can get up the speed quickly as Auburn scores three times in the span of 2:03, two runs and a 47-yard TD pass as time expires to take a 24-21 halftime lead. That is extended with a D'haquille Williams (they misspelled Shaq) TD reception to go up 31-21, but Marshall immediately fires back with Steward Butler running for a 74 yard TD. Auburn kicks another FG and it's a six-point game going into the 4th. The Herd reclaims the lead with a TD two minutes into the quarter to go up 35-34. Auburn answers five minutes later with a long 50-yard FG to reclaim the advantage 37-35, and Marshall reanswers with a FG of their own five minutes after that to lead 38-37. That gives Auburn three minutes to get into FG range for the victory, but Nick Marshall gets picked off around midfield and chaos reigns in the Auburn bracket, where Marshall is the sole non Power-5 member to win a region.

• Locked thread