Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've been known to frequent... most likely, was I with a bigger group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been known to frequent... most likely, was I with a bigger group?

Yep, sort of in the middle of the room. I usually go there on Tuesdays for their drink specials. Plus the waitstaff is awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've always wanted to try a Damon's in the US. I've been going to the UK ones for nearly 30 years, I've gone there for a meal on my birthday since I was 8.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I've always wanted to try a Damon's in the US. I've been going to the UK ones for nearly 30 years, I've gone there for a meal on my birthday since I was 8.

Pretty sure that's a totally different Damons. The one they're talking about is a one-off classic Southern California tiki bar/steakhouse as far as I'm aware, and I"ve been going there since I was a child.

Lobsterboy, look for my parents in the big corner booth near the checkout register over towards the bar, that's their spot :v: Also, I bet you miss Bahookas.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Pretty sure that's a totally different Damons. The one they're talking about is a one-off classic Southern California tiki bar/steakhouse as far as I'm aware, and I"ve been going there since I was a child.
Ah, right, I mean this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon%27s_Grill.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

You didn't miss much. Its a big chain here. Mission BBQ is where its at.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

alternate.eago posted:

Buzz & Ned's in Richmond was really good when I went there.

I suspect that the US Damon's is a lot more "sports bar" than the UK one. I just love their ribs.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

Buzz & Ned's in Richmond was really good when I went there.

I suspect that the US Damon's is a lot more "sports bar" than the UK one. I just love their ribs.

I feel like I should be kind of ashamed that a Brit ate at a (fairly local to me) BBQ place in my state before I did. Confirm Buzz & Ned's in Richmond is excellent.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

InitialDave posted:

Kinda, they are more casual family dining, like a TGI Fridays, or Applebee's, or something. Also that bar we went to in DC totally changed the layout, menu, and management. It's not as good as it used to be.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

alternate.eago posted:

Kinda, they are more casual family dining, like a TGI Fridays, or Applebee's, or something. Also that bar we went to in DC totally changed the layout, menu, and management. It's not as good as it used to be.
Hmm, maybe they are similar, then.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, maybe they are similar, then.

Yeah like nando's perri perri.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

alternate.eago posted:

Mission is the best chain BBQ I've ever had, but you can do better, even in known BBQ hot spots like Fort Lauderdale.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

LobsterboyX posted:

I like the way it sits, but it could go a bit lower in the back, I got a de-arced model T rear spring that hopefully will drop it a few more inches - the alternative is z'ing the frame in the rear which I want to do, but at this point I just want to enjoy it

I like the way it sits. They didnt call them hiboys for nothing...if you're dropping anything drop the front a tiny bit. I like the wheels and tires, but some of those fat whitewall coker cheater slicks would look good on the back too. :)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Yep, sort of in the middle of the room. I usually go there on Tuesdays for their drink specials. Plus the waitstaff is awesome.

Most likely me, it was a friends birthday. They pour their tiki drinks strong as f there.

Lobsterboy, look for my parents in the big corner booth near the checkout register over towards the bar, that's their spot :v: Also, I bet you miss Bahookas.

This is one of the sad facts of life for me, most of the time I have more in common with the parents or grandparents of my peers than I do. Fun fact: I got invited to a wedding of a girl I went to high school, who I hadnt spoken with SINCE high school with solely for the reason of keeping her dad (a car guy and friend) company.

And yes, the fact that Bahooka went out is so sad. There are many rumors floating around about the demise of Rufus, their 30+ year old fish. This place was a dream, every table was surrounded by fishtanks

here he is being fed a carrot

heres more eye candy

Finally got a "K" and a unbroken hood ornament

this is a cocktail menu from '42

and the newest addition to our family of rediculus things is this 1936 Hotpoint refridgerator

fits right in to replace that energy hog Kenmore from 1989.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 16, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Man, those cordless drills look waaaay out of place in that garage.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

And yes, the fact that Bahooka went out is so sad. There are many rumors floating around about the demise of Rufus, their 30+ year old fish. This place was a dream, every table was surrounded by fishtanks

here he is being fed a carrot

Sucks if true, Rufus was a movie star :cool:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

Man, those cordless drills look waaaay out of place in that garage.

The driver and drill are the ones I use the most! It's funny you called me out on that, I actually put all my other modern tools in vintage metal tool boxes to hide them.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Sucks if true, Rufus was a movie star :cool:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Man, bahooka was so awesome - I own a part of it!

The landing light on the top of the grundig speaker at the right of this photo is from the bahooka - on the last day it was open, we went down there and got in one last time, there was people literally ripping stuff off of the walls, one guy ran past me and dropped this landing light, he said "Take it quick" so I did. you can see the bent fin from where he dropped it.

and here is my Bahooka Mug

and for other tiki poo poo, here is the other display case for tiki stuff.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I saw your Tiki collection and could only think that you need one from the Fireside.
Here's a pretty interesting link about the place - yes it's still operational.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34423&forum=2

https://www.firesidetheatre.com/About/History

Edit: Cripes, local history rabbit hole.
The architect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Ajango
Created the Fireside and The Gobbler (cocks!) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gobbler
But also this really cool house just down the street from where we were considering purchasing a place built in 1918... man that was almost 15 years ago now. All in the area of sleepy little Fort Atkinson, WI.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 27, 2017

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

extreme_accordion posted:

Fort Atkinson, WI. Tiki

Awesome, and even cooler that its still there! a lot of vintage mugs from places like this are just re-branded tiki mugs, I know I've seen that mug with a different name on it. A lot of hotels had small tiki bars with mugs like that with their own name on it like "Vagabond Inn Kona Lounge New Jersey"

I'm planning a trip to Miami in June to see family, and visit the Famous Mai Kai restaurant

http://www.maikai.com/

In other news! I bought a thing:

this dumb thing stressed my FJ Cruiser to its absolute limits.

at just under 3' long this 1941 Buick Roadmaster engine was the largest Inline 8 engine ever produced for passenger cars - 320 cubic inches of babbited bearing 3' crank having torque monster.

Why did I buy this?

in 1941 and early 1942 buick produced this dual intake and exhaust manifold as an option. IMHO it is one of the first factory speed accessory produced for a luxury car. To find one for a big 320 is nearly impossible. If i bought this setup alone I'd have to pay 3x what I paid for the whole motor. I even offered the seller full price for the manifold setup alone to which he said "sure, it just comes with the rest of the motor too"

Buick produced inline 8 engines from 1931 - 1953 - this engine being 320 is a full 4 inches longer than any other motor produced - because of this, the roadmaster series cars were physically larger than everything else

I actually wound up selling the motor minus this setup for 200 bucks, just enough to have the carbs rebuilt.

Why?

Because my 48 roadmaster needs more power.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LobsterboyX posted:

Awesome, and even cooler that its still there! a lot of vintage mugs from places like this are just re-branded tiki mugs, I know I've seen that mug with a different name on it. A lot of hotels had small tiki bars with mugs like that with their own name on it like "Vagabond Inn Kona Lounge New Jersey"

I'm planning a trip to Miami in June to see family, and visit the Famous Mai Kai restaurant

http://www.maikai.com/

I don't know what it is about tiki stuff, but it's just so wonderfully tacky in the best possible way.

drat tasty drinks, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know what it is about tiki stuff, but it's just so wonderfully tacky in the best possible way.

drat tasty drinks, too.

If you're not having one of every drink on the menu and having someone carry you out, you're not doing the Mai Kai right.

I grew up three miles from there.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That straight eight look so sexy. Nice work with getting the rare factory parts.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MrYenko posted:

If you're not having one of every drink on the menu and having someone carry you out, you're not doing the ANY TIKI BAR EVER right.

Fixed that first part for you - This weekend I'm going to Vegas for work - one of our first orders of business is to hit Frankies tiki room:

http://frankiestikiroom.com/

open 24 hours, smoking allowed, jet fuel drinks - its as close to the real vintage tiki bar as you'll get.

The first time we went there, we got in the taxi and told him where we wanted to go - he looked back at us and said "you're an awful big fella, they might have a hard time carrying you out of there" and he meant it, I feel I can hold my liquor pretty good, but 2 drinks in I was wasted.

What I've yet to try in vegas is Golden Tiki

https://www.thegoldentiki.com/

Which is a very large bar - So large they do indoor chainsaw tiki carving nightly.

I can talk about tiki for hours - California in general has the highest concentration of tiki anywhere.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

http://frankiestikiroom.com/

open 24 hours, smoking allowed, jet fuel drinks - its as close to the real vintage tiki bar as you'll get.

The first time we went there, we got in the taxi and told him where we wanted to go - he looked back at us and said "you're an awful big fella, they might have a hard time carrying you out of there" and he meant it, I feel I can hold my liquor pretty good, but 2 drinks in I was wasted.

What I've yet to try in vegas is Golden Tiki

https://www.thegoldentiki.com/

Which is a very large bar - So large they do indoor chainsaw tiki carving nightly.

I can talk about tiki for hours - California in general has the highest concentration of tiki anywhere.

drat, frankie's looks cool, I'll have to check that out next time I'm in Vegas. While we're on the subject of Tikis, my own degrees of separation from the SoCal Tiki scene:

My grandma used to carve small ~6" Tikis out of wood, which my grandpa would then mold and cast. He sold them to a Robinson family - they did a lot of the design/decorating for the Disneyland Jungle River Cruise, and had a contract to sell souvenirs outside the ride in one of the little shops, back before everything was 110% LICENSED MICKEY. Grandpa would load up his Woodie station wagon with boxes of tikis, hide my mom and aunt (little girls at the time) under a blanket and sneak them into Disneyland to run around while he was doing business.

When I called my mom just now to confirm these details I learned that the molds are apparently still in a box up in my now-deceased grandmother's closet :shobon:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 8, 2017

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

drat, frankie's looks cool, I'll have to check that out next time I'm in Vegas. While we're on the subject of Tikis, my own degrees of separation from the SoCal Tiki scene:

My grandma used to carve small ~6" Tikis out of wood, which my grandpa would then mold and cast. He sold them to a Robinson family - they did a lot of the design/decorating for the Disneyland Jungle River Cruise, and had a contract to sell souvenirs outside the ride in one of the little shops, back before everything was 110% LICENSED MICKEY. Grandpa would load up his Woodie station wagon with boxes of tikis, hide my mom and aunt (little girls at the time) under a blanket and sneak them into Disneyland to run around while he was doing business.

When I called my mom just now to confirm these details I learned that the molds are apparently still in a box up in my now-deceased grandmother's closet :shobon:

ooooooh pics?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I think this is the right place for this. My uncle recently acquired a 1956 Continental Mark II. It has power windows.

No I mean all of them.

https://youtu.be/XgAPliRlBwQ

:v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

angryrobots posted:

So I think this is the right place for this. My uncle recently acquired a 1956 Continental Mark II. It has power windows.

No I mean all of them.

No windshield no deal.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

angryrobots posted:

So I think this is the right place for this. My uncle recently acquired a [img]http://i.imgur.com/qEF6OFw.jpg][/img]1956 Continental Mark II. It has power windows.

No I mean all of them.

That's a beautiful car.

In addition to powered vent windows, the Mark III - Vs had powered rear windows as well.

Which makes for a lot of switches.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 21, 2017

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Lincoln had a lot of funny knick-knacks - I remember a friend of mine had a 57 that had an automatic suspension lube system. also I used to maintain a 63 conti for a lady - the choke was controlled by a tube that directed water from the radiator through the choke - it was corroded and nasty, and when I called to find a new one, they all laughed and basically told me that unless i had a lot of money, i wasnt going to find one.

over the weekend my club had our recurring show, Dog Town Rumble - here is a great gallery of the event:

http://www.six12media.com/Automotive/DogTown-Rumble-Car-Shows/Dogtown-Rumble-6/

http://www.venicepaparazzi.com/events/dogtown-rumble/

my car shined up pretty nice for the event

I finally broke out the buffer for this thing and i'm honestly shocked with the results, its the most shiny car ive ever had.

I made this lovely roof rack out of a old surf rack which I thought was worthless

until someone at our show offered me 300 bucks for them.. himm whats that other thing on the top?

oh yeah

going down the rabbit hole with CB's pretty much everyone I know has been getting on this - its a poo poo load of fun

oh yeah, i bought another pin..

1979 Gottlieb Genie - this is one of their first solid state games, this one does not work, but with any luck, it soon will.

speaking of old school, I recently picked up this thing that will more than likely result in some injury

now for some randomness

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 22, 2017

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
...is the dog a prop?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Rectal Placenta posted:

...is the dog a prop?

No, that's Bill - he's pretty real.

there he is again with his girlfriend Bea

My parrot, on the other hand, died sometime in the 20s.

considering the life span of parrots, its possible he was born in the 1800s.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

LobsterboyX posted:

going down the rabbit hole with CB's pretty much everyone I know has been getting on this - its a poo poo load of fun

You need an age appropriate CB under that dash.

Yes, that Courier has a chrome plated cabinet.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 29, 2017

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well hello again! I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't had enough time to really pour on the vintage but I have been up to some monkey business.

First off, the model A - It's been at a friends shop since early December of last year. I got tired of going out to work on it at night and getting literally nowhere because of lack of parts/tools I'd make an order or head out to the early ford store, come back with parts, fit them, then discover that I needed something else. So I took it to a place where I could work on it at my leisure with factory ford tools, parts and the knowledge of a dear 87 year old friend who's been building these cars since he was in his teens.

But now its back and running:

I went through 4 Stromberg 94's before I broke down and spent the $300 to buy a newly manufactured 94

The head gasket was leaking so I took that as an opportunity to deck the head and take a few thou's off to up the compression a touch. The intake is an old Ansen, which is a direct clone of an early Burns manifold that was meant to work with the original "up and over" exhaust manifold. It's crude but it works. Also, I added a self advancing distributor - originally you set the timing via a stock on the column, it also has a pertronix unit in it for the 6 volt positive ground system. I also had to add an electric fuel pump because the gravity feed from the cowl tank wasn't cutting it. All of these things make the car pretty drivable

I really love driving this thing around without a windshield, and it looks bad rear end but when driving it you can't hear, your eyes tear up and my hat has almost blown off plenty of times. So I set to work:

I got a set of stanchions and a frame from another friend - originally the model a had 2 windshield heights the standard and deluxe roadster/phaeton. This illustrates how much bigger they were. this is a deluxe frame with standard "open car" stanchions - the car is a hot rod so even that deluxe is too tall and goofy.

I chopped 3 inches out of the frame and 5 out of the stanchions. I cut it all on my band saw then took them to a friends shop who welded them up for me... the stanchions are stamped stainless steel so I have no clue how to do that. - I took plenty of photos but my phone decided to take a dump shortly after -

I then took the finished frame to my glass guy where he put in this awesome green glass which is similar to glass used in aircraft in the 40s.

so here is the finished result:

I'm very pleased with it, but I have an idea for a custom windshield - more will develop on that soon.

Next up for this car, I have to mock up the top irons, and select some interior colors then its off to the upholstery shop, as well as the exhaust shop - the pipe off the header is super crude and dumps under the back of the car so the reverberation is super annoying.

heres a lovely video of me driving it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXsAsqBFDy8

Buick wagon.. I got over my irrational fear of drilling virginal body panels and installed my 1957 NuVue spot light mirrors and wired these suckers up

They are, of course, for off road use only...

Now that that's out of the way, heres more eye candy:

my buddy Tim's Henry J gasser - he drove this thing over 30 miles one way on the highway to come to this car meetup.

more later

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Awesome update, thanks.

The Nu-Vues look amazing...I've fantasized about installing twin whip antennas on my Bonneville, behind the rear deck...but I can't bring myself to take a drill to her.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

Well hello again!

Hey man, great update, looks like you guys are having fun.

As a side note, my grandfather has one of those Ford pickup things (model A?? Not my thing really), lowered a bit/matte blacked/whitewalls/etc. just like your roadster, as kind of a pseudo hot rod (as far as I know the engine was bone stock). He just passed away last week, and I think it's going to fall to me to deal with his six vehicles. I don't have any pictures of it yet, but if you know anyone looking for something like that (:v:) let me know. It's in the Palisades.

Also, I haven't forgotten about your request for tiki photos, will try to fulfill next time I'm out there.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Hey man, great update, looks like you guys are having fun.

As a side note, my grandfather has one of those Ford pickup things (model A?? Not my thing really), lowered a bit/matte blacked/whitewalls/etc. just like your roadster, as kind of a pseudo hot rod (as far as I know the engine was bone stock). He just passed away last week, and I think it's going to fall to me to deal with his six vehicles. I don't have any pictures of it yet, but if you know anyone looking for something like that (:v:) let me know. It's in the Palisades.

Also, I haven't forgotten about your request for tiki photos, will try to fulfill next time I'm out there.

6 cars huh? you let ME know if you need any help dealing - sorry for your loss man. what else did he have?

PainterofCrap posted:

Awesome update, thanks.

The Nu-Vues look amazing...I've fantasized about installing twin whip antennas on my Bonneville, behind the rear deck...but I can't bring myself to take a drill to her.

They have bumper mounts... I know terrible influence

https://www.amazon.com/Hustler-BM-1...er+bumper+mount

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Early Ford Store? Like, the place in San Dimas?

That's my hometown! :haw: The owner of it even helped us out back when I was in high school for a solar boat competition build. Small world, innit...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Lobster I envy your seemingly happy life, not that I am not happy, but you seem to live what you love. Hope that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

6 cars huh? you let ME know if you need any help dealing - sorry for your loss man. what else did he have?

We will all miss him, but there is a good sense of happiness that he went out on his own terms, in his home, and almost certainly in his sleep. He had a good, long, ornery life.

Cars:

1941 Ford V8 "Super Deluxe" Woodie wagon - this was his pride and joy. It's in fantastic condition with a perfect original interior (as far as I can tell). The dash is mint. This was the only car garaged (thankfully).
1932 Ford Pickup - as mentioned
1967 Chevy Impala Convertible - red/white interior. He bought it from me some years ago when I needed something a little more practical. Sadly has been parked outside under a tarp in beach climate and has suffered a bit.
1987 Jeep XJ 4WD Wagoneer trim - totally thrashed junkyard material. I'm going to pull the split-headlights/grill for eBay, and maybe the 4.0 as a rebuild project/backup for my 88 XJ.
1996 Corvette C4 - bought as a favor to someone, soft top collapsed during the rainy season and is also probably junkyard material. Maybe the LT1 engine is worth something (I am resisting the urge to swap it into the Impala and keep it)?
1998 v6 4Runner SR5 2wd - in good condition, I'm hoping the family will agree to donate it to a friend of mine who is a Toyota guy and down on his luck/needing a new car
1954 Willys CJ3-B - unfortunately completely thrashed, minor body cancer, likely low-bid craigslist material/or $20,000 restoration. Rumored to be Tex Avery's at one time (he was a close family friend I just inherited his Smith & Wesson .22 Magnum revolver!!!)

Other notable cars I remember through my childhood, now gone:

1932 Model A roadster a lot like yours
1990s Buick Estate
1990s Cadillac Allante

He had truely eclectic tastes, and a Jukebox in the living room :911:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 8, 2017

• Locked thread