Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'm just gonna say that you do awesome poo poo. Keep on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

LobsterboyX posted:

That being said, I still have the fenders.. just in case I ever want a change

Aren't the fenders pretty easy to install/remove? I know Vic Edelbrock used to drive his '32 to the track/salt flats with the fenders on, take 'em off for racing, them put them back on for the drive home. Maybe not swappable on a whim, but you could definitely pop the fenders back on for a week or two when you go to a show or whatever and want that look.

LobsterboyX posted:

with this car, there are probably a lot more of them around than there ever were in 1930.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the '30s Ford, like the '57 Chevy, Jeep CJ, and probably the first-gen ponycars, can be built all-new from mail-order reproduction parts. And they played fast and loose with serial numbers back then -- there was at one point a technically-street-legal sprint car registered as a Model A (the only "original" part was the horn, according to the story in Motor Trend.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The anecdote I heard was that there are more '32 Fords currently registered in CA than were ever built.

I don't know if that's strictly accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Delivery McGee posted:

Aren't the fenders pretty easy to install/remove? I know Vic Edelbrock used to drive his '32 to the track/salt flats with the fenders on, take 'em off for racing, them put them back on for the drive home. Maybe not swappable on a whim, but you could definitely pop the fenders back on for a week or two when you go to a show or whatever and want that look.

Took about half an hour to remove them - the hardest part was removing the braces for the running boards on - since my car is original they were still riveted in place. the grinder made quick work of those.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the '30s Ford, like the '57 Chevy, Jeep CJ, and probably the first-gen ponycars, can be built all-new from mail-order reproduction parts. And they played fast and loose with serial numbers back then -- there was at one point a technically-street-legal sprint car registered as a Model A (the only "original" part was the horn, according to the story in Motor Trend.)

completely - you can order an entire car from Brookville - they basically make roadsters and coupes from 28-32 - they are exacting and in some ways probably better than original stuff. They are really well made, but at times can be more expensive than old stuff. I was considering this option as well, but my car came up and was in the exact shape I wanted it. Running, stopping (kinda) and driving, it also had the 40 ford brakes on it which is basically the staple brake for these cars. Later on down the road for me I'd be more apt to run some more modern brakes (1950s buick)

but that will be when its time to drop this beastly thing between the rails:

For now I'm running the 1940 hydraulic brakes with 1937-39 drums and wheels - usually refereed to as "wide fives"

I've literally been waiting my entire driving career to own a set of these tires:

That's right, Goodyear allweather deluxe tires - they only make 4 variations on these tires - 650 x 16 and 600 x 16 - white and blackwall - none of my big GM's ever had 16s, so I've been plotting these for the longest time. Other hot rodders usually tend to run bigs and littles, which is a great look, but I've always liked the look of big goofy balloon whitewalls that look more at home in toontown:

I've also plotted this out with a very cheesy photoshop

It probably wont look like this for some time as getting the back end that low is quite a task and will require some fabrication on the rear crossmember.

in other news, i've been working on my stove:

I've added:
Chrome top panels
green kick
green knob panel
and not pictured, a green clock surround

coming soon will be the new fridge and customized dishwasher

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Those tires look fantastic - love the matching size front/rear.

Nice stove too, my family has used the same one in white my whole life. Never seen the black/bakelite green though, looks dope. FYI if the burners don't want to light off the pilot, take out the little tubes that go between the two and blast them out with shop air etc. They get gunked up and your cooking life will be easier if they're clean.

Edit : this reminded me I still want that football if you haven't gotten rid of it yet! ! If you guys are ever cruising over near Fair Oaks Pharmacy or hitting the PCC flea market let me know!

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 12, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Can I add a few things to the Tome? Since my Corvair was Deep-Sixed by a drunk I've been working on other projects to keep me sane.
I was browsing a local antique mall last weekend and happened across a 1928 Crosley model 706 Showbox and RCA Radiola 100 speaker. The pair were on sale for $60. The price was right and 20 minutes later both were in my trunk heading home. The Showbox was in great shape, with no pot metal rot in the tuning capacitor tank, dial drive gear, or all the other usual places for radios of this era.
The radio was missing a 71a output tube and the Mershon filter capacitor was long gone, replaced by a 1940's era Mallory electrolytic can mounted to a custom made circular steel plate. A neatly done repair made at some point in the past, The Mallory had also shorted from age. I replaced the filter with two new 10uf 450v electrolytics, and the other metal cased 2-5uf oil filled? caps with electrolytics of similar values, leaving the original parts disconnected but still in place. With a new 71a, 2 meg resistor replacing the grid leak, and a 75ft antenna, the set plays great.

The Radiola speaker needed a couple of patches to the cone which I made with cigarette rolling papers and diluted white glue, from behind, in order to hide the repair as best I could.
One thing I learned from this project, the 71a and other early directly heated triodes are freaking expensive!

Up Next: 1964 Zenith Handcrafted Color TV.

In this case The Quality Went in Before the Name Went on...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 27, 2015

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
two great pieces - the radio is awesome. For 60 bucks you can't do much better, a friend was recently selling off one of his earl (brand name escapes me) radio like that - (two piece, radio and speaker) for $300 and I thought that was a deal.. I think you know what you are doing, whereas when I get them, check the caps, and see if it works..

Speaking of rebuilt:

the stove is now complete

so what goes with a completed stove?

a 1954 Kelvinator Magic Cycle - built by Nash

and I had them paint the dishwasher as well

A visitor recently pointed out that our kitchen reminds them of my car:

Speaking of cars, I recently discovered I'm not the only idiot dumb enough to have a model A in my neighborhood

a few weeks back I was coming home from work and I saw this beauty parked out on the street and another neighbor helping an older gentleman out with his other model a truck

What do you know? They clued me in to a few other guys in the hood that have old stuff lurking.

A few weeks ago I had a garage sale that turned out to be rather successful, but a few people loved the cars and one guy in partucular said he had a 56 eldorado, he showed me a few crumby pics on his phone and told me he'd be back with the car, he didn't come back that day but a few weeks later I heard something rumbling and sure enough, he came back!

Another recent aquisition is this beautiful set of 1930s art deco chairs:

although they look like leather, they are actually oil cloth and they are in really really nice shape. It's a parlor set so it was the two chairs as well as a love seat. The girl we got them from instantly became our friend and we've been mildly searching for more deco furnature after we've sold off most of the contents of the house.

I think they look good there. what the hell is that glowing thing behind the chair?

Its a 1948 Rockola jukebox:

It's a long story, but essentially my mom had promised to buy us a jukebox when we got our first house.. so we got a jukebox.

it plays 20 78RPM records with its original amp, and selection system. there is no free play setting, you have to feed it to hear it. It is so loud it shakes the house and can be heard down the street.

the funny thing is that 45RPM became the norm only a few years later and Rockola basically pulled these machines out of the distributors hands in favor of newer machines. So a lot of these particular boxes saw a very short life span in the wild, and all these years later, there are more of them that are in good shape than not.

I have a friend who restores jukeboxes and he's currently building me a remote volume and reject unit as well as a bluetooth receiver for it.

In other news! I finally got the garage cleaned out enough to start storing my own stuff in it, its been at least 10-12 years since a vehicle has been inside the garage

Sadly I quickly filled it up with furniture that I need to sell, but at least the car now has a permanent home - I'd love to have 2 vehicles in there, but its going to be a bit before we can liquidate all this furniture.

another new resident of the garage is this 1954 Craftsman "150" drill press that I got for under 100 bucks.

the stella chalices were for my buddy and I to celebrate not giving ourselves hernias getting this thing out of the car.

There's more for later...

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

two great pieces - the radio is awesome. For 60 bucks you can't do much better, a friend was recently selling off one of his earl (brand name escapes me) radio like that - (two piece, radio and speaker) for $300 and I thought that was a deal.. I think you know what you are doing, whereas when I get them, check the caps, and see if it works..

Speaking of rebuilt:

the stove is now complete

so what goes with a completed stove?

a 1954 Kelvinator Magic Cycle - built by Nash

and I had them paint the dishwasher as well

A visitor recently pointed out that our kitchen reminds them of my car:

Speaking of cars, I recently discovered I'm not the only idiot dumb enough to have a model A in my neighborhood

a few weeks back I was coming home from work and I saw this beauty parked out on the street and another neighbor helping an older gentleman out with his other model a truck

What do you know? They clued me in to a few other guys in the hood that have old stuff lurking.

A few weeks ago I had a garage sale that turned out to be rather successful, but a few people loved the cars and one guy in partucular said he had a 56 eldorado, he showed me a few crumby pics on his phone and told me he'd be back with the car, he didn't come back that day but a few weeks later I heard something rumbling and sure enough, he came back!

Another recent aquisition is this beautiful set of 1930s art deco chairs:

although they look like leather, they are actually oil cloth and they are in really really nice shape. It's a parlor set so it was the two chairs as well as a love seat. The girl we got them from instantly became our friend and we've been mildly searching for more deco furnature after we've sold off most of the contents of the house.

I think they look good there. what the hell is that glowing thing behind the chair?

Its a 1948 Rockola jukebox:

It's a long story, but essentially my mom had promised to buy us a jukebox when we got our first house.. so we got a jukebox.

it plays 20 78RPM records with its original amp, and selection system. there is no free play setting, you have to feed it to hear it. It is so loud it shakes the house and can be heard down the street.

the funny thing is that 45RPM became the norm only a few years later and Rockola basically pulled these machines out of the distributors hands in favor of newer machines. So a lot of these particular boxes saw a very short life span in the wild, and all these years later, there are more of them that are in good shape than not.

I have a friend who restores jukeboxes and he's currently building me a remote volume and reject unit as well as a bluetooth receiver for it.

In other news! I finally got the garage cleaned out enough to start storing my own stuff in it, its been at least 10-12 years since a vehicle has been inside the garage

Sadly I quickly filled it up with furniture that I need to sell, but at least the car now has a permanent home - I'd love to have 2 vehicles in there, but its going to be a bit before we can liquidate all this furniture.

another new resident of the garage is this 1954 Craftsman "150" drill press that I got for under 100 bucks.

the stella chalices were for my buddy and I to celebrate not giving ourselves hernias getting this thing out of the car.

There's more for later...

Thanks for the kind words on the radio and TV. I'll have to post more on the Zenith later. The appliances in your kitchen are super cool but it could really use a Frigidaire Flair, the modular stove/oven that has a soft spot in my heart. Also, does that Kelvinator have the optional carousel shelves? When it comes to vintage dishwashers, I actually know a guy here in the Cleveland area that restores dishwashers from the 50's and 60's. I still razz my parents for trashing their fully functional 1965 Kitchenaid when they renovated the kitchen back in 2004. They've gone through two dishwashers since then.

In other news, I've recently started collecting Transistor radios made in the USSR.

This is a Soviet produced VEF 202 transistor radio, made in Riga, Latvia in 1971. Adjusted for inflation, and considering the black market rate of conversion of Soviet Rubles to US dollars, It cost a soviet citizen the equivalent of 3-4 hundred US dollars to purchase one. I like to call it the Comecon answer to the Zenith Transoceanic, since it covers the Longwave, Medium Wave (US AM Band), 52,49,41,31,and 25 Meter Shortwave bands. Build quality is quite good, other than the cheap, brittle thermoset plastic cabinet, and it draws remarkably little current when operating, around 15-25MA. A set of six D Cell batteries should last for months with average use. VEF radios were popular with Dissidents who wanted to listen to Voice of America, Radio Free Europe, and other western broadcasts. It's electronic design is almost identical to the first USSR made multiband transistor radio, The VEF Spidola, from 1961.

LobsterboyX posted:

Actually as vintage electronics repair goes, that's the way to do it. Power the unit up slowly with a variac, and watch for excessive current draw using a Kill-a-watt/sniff for bad smells, and touch the electrolytic capacitor cans to see if they're getting hot. If the electrolytic cans are getting hot, or you hear a loud 60hz hum that the volume control has no effect on, power down immediately. Replace all the electrolytic filter caps. The wax paper/plastic encased paper caps may or may not be shorted or leaky, but they most likely are. Replace them with mylar caps.

Sadly, 1920's radios aren't worth that much now. The early radio era bubble popped in the mid to late 90s.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 9, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

MullardEL34 posted:

Thanks for the kind words on the radio and TV. I'll have to post more on the Zenith later. The appliances in your kitchen are super cool but it could really use a Frigidaire Flair, the modular stove/oven that has a soft spot in my heart.

My wife's grandparents have one of these in their house. I've always thought it was interesting, but it'd be one of the first things to go if/when we end up buying the house like my wife wants to do.

I'll make sure it goes to a good home though.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
LobsterboyX, very cool thread. Your kitchen looks amazing.

What plans do you have for that drill-press? I bought one from Harbor Freight a few years ago for under $100, but regret not just buying a used high-quality one for about the same price. The HF one frankly sucks.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

meatpotato posted:

LobsterboyX, very cool thread. Your kitchen looks amazing.

What plans do you have for that drill-press? I bought one from Harbor Freight a few years ago for under $100, but regret not just buying a used high-quality one for about the same price. The HF one frankly sucks.

Well my first project I'm planning to do with it is to drill my backing plates for the front brakes of my roadster.. like so:

I'd also like to get one of these jobbers:

I used one of these things when I worked in special effects - great tool and for car stuff, couldn't be better.

However, I have my concerns because its already set on the lowest speed and it still a bit too fast for me to feel comfy drilling heavy gauge stuff. Funny enough... the guy I got it from threw in a reducer kit made by a guy in the vintage craftsman tool hobby. Should be a simple install, but there's a small chance I may have to machine the long pole if it doesnt have the correct I.D.

I honestly thought I was going to spend a lot more, and in looking for tools to match it (band saw, table saw, lathe ect) I feel like I got a smoking deal - bench top models like mine are selling for 3x what I paid for mine.. yikes!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That drill press is a very capable woodworking machine, but won't be good for metal without the third pulley. I had one in amazing condition, but got rid of it for a massive Rockwell VFD-driven floor unit. They were made by King Seely, iirc.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

LobsterboyX posted:

What a beauty. Man I love those 50s Cadillacs, it's the only car in the world that can wear gold wheels and actually look good. Having an Eldo or Biarritz is on my long term list of vehicle acquisitions.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LobsterboyX posted:

threw in a reducer kit made by a guy in the vintage craftsman tool hobby.

I just love that such a hobby exists.

Lovely stuff as always. How do you clean/maintain those oil cloth chairs?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I came across a website once that had instructions for converting one of the standard-design "All American Five" AM radios made by the millions in the 30s through 50s into a flea-powered AM transmitter. Line out from your ipod or whatever and you can tune in any old AM set in the house to it. And you get the bandwidth restrictions of old AM too, so it sounds pretty cool and vintagey.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

I came across a website once that had instructions for converting one of the standard-design "All American Five" AM radios made by the millions in the 30s through 50s into a flea-powered AM transmitter. Line out from your ipod or whatever and you can tune in any old AM set in the house to it. And you get the bandwidth restrictions of old AM too, so it sounds pretty cool and vintagey.

That mod is super easy, but there are some improvements that can be made. Use the audio output transformer as a modulation transformer, replace all of the the audio coupling capacitors with caps valued .1uf or greater for wider audio bandwidth (.5uf makes the transmitter sound like some of the high fidelity wideband AM stations that existed in the early 60's) and use the 25L6/25C5/50L6/50B5/50C5 audio output tube as a final RF amplifier for a whopping 1-1.5w of RF power. Also, if you don't want to potentially kill yourself/ incinerate whatever audio source you connect to the audio input, install a 1:1 isolation transformer in line with the AC input. AA5 radios tie one side of the AC line directly to chassis ground, and ALL of them used non-polarized plugs so that they could be used in backwater rural communities that were still on 110V DC power into the mid 1960s.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 11, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

Well my first project I'm planning to do with it is to drill my backing plates for the front brakes of my roadster.. like so:

I'd also like to get one of these jobbers:

I used one of these things when I worked in special effects - great tool and for car stuff, couldn't be better.

However, I have my concerns because its already set on the lowest speed and it still a bit too fast for me to feel comfy drilling heavy gauge stuff. Funny enough... the guy I got it from threw in a reducer kit made by a guy in the vintage craftsman tool hobby. Should be a simple install, but there's a small chance I may have to machine the long pole if it doesnt have the correct I.D.

I honestly thought I was going to spend a lot more, and in looking for tools to match it (band saw, table saw, lathe ect) I feel like I got a smoking deal - bench top models like mine are selling for 3x what I paid for mine.. yikes!

Craftsman made a step down/RPM selector- but they are impossible to come by. My dad bought that exact same drill press and then bought a second one because it had the variable speed selector. Have any more info on that kit? I'm assuming it's just a third pulley with fixed belts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A guy I used to do rallycross with figured out how to slow his cheap-rear end drill press down on the cheap:

http://fixbroke.tumblr.com/post/33234760160/making-my-cheap-drill-press-turn-slooooooowwwww

It is, uh, not pretty. But dammit if it didn't work.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I don't have too much info on the 3rd pulley - I know the guy got it specifically for this model of drill press. It very much looks like a home machinist project

its the slug of aluminum with a pulley on it, then there's a 45deg cut with a set screw that holds the slug in place inside the main shaft - Seems pretty straight forward, but I have to adjust the tool first, because whoeever put the thing together (im assuming in the 50s) placed the actually drill a bit low on the shaft,

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've been super freaking busy, but dont want to see this go to the archives!

Been working our fingers to the bone, and were almost through the mess, moving in to a house packed with 60+ years of stuff is quite a task, and honestly I don't know how we've gotten this far. If you want to test a relationship, take on a house project.

Meet our new pet, "Peaches", he's quiet, doesn't make a mess and never talks back - he's a taxidermy mount from the 1930's. considering that parrots live quite some time, there's a solid possibility that this lil guy was born in the late 1800s.

during all of this, I still manage to do car stuff weekly, here's my friends '29 Model A Tudor at our weekly meet

A huge part of what I'm doing is getting the garage in order, so I've been spending plenty of time out there trying not to spend too much time on details... but I still do anyway

that's a modern deco cover plate that I found at my local salvage shop, when I showed interest, he said he's got 100s of them in his store room, and how many would I like. I've yet to go back for more, but I spent time polishing this one to look like this.

speaking of modern

the wooden crates on the shelf are new, they were abandoned by a friend of my fiance's they fit perfectly, but looked too new, so we took the blow torch to them to give them that aged look. I'm setting this garage up to look like it did when i was a kid.

if you notice in the previous photo, the garage walls have tar paper on the backside of the boards between studs which is typical for homes of the late 30s. when the addition was built a few years back code stated that it had to be plywood, so the adjoining side of the garage had regular old nasty plywood. I had a friend who works for the studios steal me a can of "studio black" which is a hearty flat black that covers like nothing else. It gives the effect of the tar paper, without breaking any codes. whats next is that I have to stain the beams that dark red. A neighbor who is a woodworker suggested a mix of red oxide paint and used motor oil.. I have plenty of that so I might give it a try.

when I was a kid, someone bought my grandpa a new vise, being the great guy he was he removed the old one which was in perfect shape and started using the new one (left) - I'm going to be replacing the newer one with the original red one from the 50s.

Speaking of tools:

I was given an offer I couldn't refuse to buy several kennedy tool boxes (8 in total) FINALLY after all these years I can retire my craftsman roll away that was given to me in the mid 90s, and I finally have enough room for all my tools, sadly, as I was going through them, I've realized that I don't actually have enough!

I've also started to hang my bikes in the garage, by no means will i have enough space in the garage to house all of them, but I'm working on an outdoor shed for them (more on this later) - These bikes are, 1952 Shelby 52a, 1897 Racycle frame and crank set and the 1960 Bowden Spacelander.

moving right along:

What?

Reproduction 1957 "Featherstone" flamingos

more later.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Depending on the price I would be intrested in a few of those deco plate covers if you swing back to that shop and would be willing to ship them.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Still have your wedding present, may hold it hostage until I get my tie!

(edit) ain't no thang :)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 2, 2016

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
drat Bob - you going to hold me to that? I don't have a clue where that tie is!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You're working on an interesting form of time travel Lobsterboy, and I love it.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.

Veeb0rg posted:

Depending on the price I would be intrested in a few of those deco plate covers if you swing back to that shop and would be willing to ship them.

Same

Oh, and since we are speaking of AM Transmitters, why can't I find a cheap pre-built one that I can just purchase? There are a few how-to write-ups and a few "kits", but I honestly don't want to spend the time soldering one together, I just want to broadcast spotify to some of my old radios. Why is this so hard?

Jackie the Mick fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 2, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd be up for those covers too, if you wind up getting a bunch from the guy.

Furniture chat. Maybe a little newer than your tastes, but my mother sent me a picture of "a ratty old dresser" that was being auctioned at an estate sale. I told her to go ahead and bid on it for me. She sent a picture of her monitor. :v: Looked to be nice though.

Got it for $55.

Laughably bad mother picture:

Got it home today. Turns out it's in pretty nice shape aside from some stains in the top, and the handles are pitted. Built by R Way. Figured something mid-century would fit in this thread.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Ah HAH!

I was on craigslist a few months ago and came across something perplexing, art deco theater seats for free

They were at a small comedy club under a mile from my house, i went over there and snagged as many as I could, I I built a set of 3 with 2 endcaps and I have 2 singles, the others I sold! cha ching!

Slowly but surely we are getting the outside room cleaned out for my fiance' office, but we all need a place to display our Buick dealership banners

another bigger piece we just scored was this strange movie poster we can't seem to find anything about it..

also these aviator goggles

and these cool vintage signs

I've been playing with colored lights in my back yard, it looks pretty insane, but it highlights things well

I've also been spending lots of time remodeling the master bedroom and bathroom, as with all things I've taken a liking to vintage plumbing fixtures, this new fixation has taken us to some pretty amazing hoards,

this 56 dodge hasn't moved since 72, the owner was a really awesome guy who owned this hardware store since the 60s, along with vintage toilets, sinks, tubs, he also had several wild Macaw parrots living in and around this yard.

another place we went had these beautiful sinks (which we are still trying to buy) which are 1939 Standard sinks - not American Standard, but Standard - when finished these will have chrome legs with integrated towel bars

they will be going in here:

of which I've spent the past few months patching, sealing and priming - we originally wanted to go with the original Beverly Hills Hotel "Martinique" wallpaper which is simply incredible, but... at $300 per roll (8 rolls were needed to finish the job) that seemed a bit rich. SOOO we settled on this stuff which was designed in the 50s and made in York PA... for less than $20 per roll. I was going to attempt to paper the room solo, but I was talked out of it by a friend of mine who's a painter, im glad I listened, its not as easy as you think..

In other news the buick will be coming home soon, its been off the road for some time, but its time, I miss this thing a lot

That's a 1958 Oldsmobile fiesta wagon next to it, I had an opportunity to buy one of these a few years back, but the thing needed just too much work for the price, this beautiful example has low original miles and wears its ORIGINAL paint, which is in flawless shape.

I've also been working on my roadster, but I'm terrible at documenting things so, no pics yet, except for these:

the spring on the top is a modern spring with teflon inserts made to let the leaves slide across one another, its one of those "Its not original but its better" things that I'm giving in to. the bottom is an original spring, which is in awful shape!

and the 1940 ford brakes, note the simplicity of these things

the bottom part is supposed to be held on by cotter pins, however the previous owner of my car thought finish nails were better.

here is the original front end removed from the car, again i'm dumb and havent taken any shots of how the car sits right now

the entire front end is held on by 6 bolts - this front end is shagged, but it can be used for parts for someone else.

More soon!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I am gonna be in LA a couple times this summer, and my wife loves everything art deco(Napier was her favorite place in new Zealand). Any advice on stuff we have to check out?

Do you know anything about Barnes drill presses? There is a giant one in my garage I need to get rid of and I am just not sure where to start with it. It is awesome.e looking and I wish I could keep it, but I just don't have the space.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Negromancer posted:

I am gonna be in LA a couple times this summer, and my wife loves everything art deco(Napier was her favorite place in new Zealand). Any advice on stuff we have to check out?

Do you know anything about Barnes drill presses? There is a giant one in my garage I need to get rid of and I am just not sure where to start with it. It is awesome.e looking and I wish I could keep it, but I just don't have the space.

Check this out: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=73&tab=4

Any of them look close to yours? There's a bit of a following for the older camel-back drill presses, but moving one quickly usually means parting with it for little $$.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

the spyder posted:

Check this out: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=73&tab=4

Any of them look close to yours? There's a bit of a following for the older camel-back drill presses, but moving one quickly usually means parting with it for little $$.

Yup, its a 20" camelback. The garage is completely packed, so this is the best picture I could get of it:

It has everything and it works. I am not too concerned about money, mostly about getting all this poo poo out of my garage so I can put a car in it. I am in Seattle if anyone wants giant old drill press...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Negromancer posted:

Queen Mary is a must - its an art deco masterpiece - its fun to stay there too

See if you can con your way in to the eastern building in DTLA

Sunset Tower is another beautiful deco hotel but very pricy.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I had no idea you could stay on the Queen Mary, I might have to do that. Thanks for the suggestions!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I had no idea you could stay on the Queen Mary, I might have to do that. Thanks for the suggestions!

No prob - they might try to stick you in one of their "modernized" rooms - they did that to us and it was fine, just not one of the beautiful original rooms that they have - I guess it was the right time and place, but I called the front desk to complain, and they instantly said "you can have one of the state rooms" - which are original and in beautiful shape, beautiful wood throughout - they also will give you a list of the rooms that are reportedly haunted, including one where someone felt someone sit on the end of the bed in the night and grab their feet. Each room also has an original fan, where you can clearly see the wires are cut and the fan is non functional, but some guests report the fans turning on in the night.

I went there for my birthday a few years ago, we closed down the beautiful deco observation bar, then went back to our rooms, got bored and wound up exploring the ship until 5am - we went just about everywhere we could, its an amazing ship. can be somewhat creepy at times, but we found all the special rooms.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Hey LobsterboyX,
Would you be interested in a vintage Steelcase desk from the press pool of a small newspaper that suddenly became the national press headquarters/lodging/diner for hundreds of journalists covering the Kent State Massacre?

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Boy do i have a tough one one for you guys, im trying to figure out what car this pontiac logo came off of (maybe its a replica?)
I have searched google for hours and its seems 1940-1950 cars have similar lettering but not quite like this. Any help will be appreciated.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The script itself matches the hood script that is present on ~1949-1954 Pontiacs, but I cant find a single example of a car from that period with any Pontiac fender badging at all, just model-badges.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pontiac Fleetleader, 1952 (Canadian)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 31, 2016

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Thats incredible thank you so much. Nice to have something on the shop wall and know what it came off of. :)

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Adding another vintage TV to the Tome.
1957 RCA RCA 14-S-7052.
It took about 20 capacitors and a new Horizontal output tube to get it working. The Picture tube is weak, but I was able to use the rejuvenation function on my Sencore CR-31a CRT tester to buy a little time until i can find a good CRT. For now it works well enough and is serving well as my back porch TV. A leatherworker from the local Ren Faire is making me a new handle for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6zMgv_4ec
Bonus back porch action shot taken just after Cleveland won the NBA finals and our curse was broken.

Lobsterboy, sorry for making GBS threads up your thread btw.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MullardEL34 posted:

Adding another vintage TV to the Tome.
1957 RCA RCA 14-S-7052.
It took about 20 capacitors and a new Horizontal output tube to get it working. The Picture tube is weak, but I was able to use the rejuvenation function on my Sencore CR-31a CRT tester to buy a little time until i can find a good CRT. For now it works well enough and is serving well as my back porch TV. A leatherworker from the local Ren Faire is making me a new handle for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6zMgv_4ec
Bonus back porch action shot taken just after Cleveland won the NBA finals and our curse was broken.

Lobsterboy, sorry for making GBS threads up your thread btw.

Please tell me how you're making GBS threads it up - This is awesome! I'm still looking for a drat predicta that isnt going to break the bank - we already have a very large '49 or '50 Hoffman TV set that lives at the inlaws house, its so drat big and heavy its not really worth bringing to our house. its very cool, and the wooden cabinet has an almost Hawaiian/Asian feel to it. Next time she goes home I'll make her take a picture but it looks kinda like this:

more tomorrow !

• Locked thread