Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
LobsterboyX suggested I copy over something I PM'd him from this side of the pond, the replacement of Birmingham Central Library:

This is the original Victorian building:

Which was demolished in the 70s and replaced by a properly fugly brutalist concrete... thing:

That picture makes it look better than it is in reality, particularly on a dreary day (in the Midlands? Surely not...)

The worst part is they didn't even build it on the same site, they built it next to the old one:

Luckily, though (and despite some people actually wanting it preserved), it's now itself been replaced by a new building (which, miraculously, they have once again built next to the previous incarnation first. I think they're just trying to move the drat thing to Wales on some kind of thousand-year programme):

If anyone's interested in the loss of historic architecture in the UK during the 20th century, I'd recommend a look at Gavin Stamp's books Lost Victorian Britain and Britain's Lost Cities.

I'm not really much of an architecture guy, but I found them very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The solution I see would be a flatscreen inside, with similar to the original screen profile glass in front to give the correct appearance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've always wanted to try a Damon's in the US. I've been going to the UK ones for nearly 30 years, I've gone there for a meal on my birthday since I was 8.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Pretty sure that's a totally different Damons. The one they're talking about is a one-off classic Southern California tiki bar/steakhouse as far as I'm aware, and I"ve been going there since I was a child.
Ah, right, I mean this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon%27s_Grill.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

alternate.eago posted:

You didn't miss much. Its a big chain here. Mission BBQ is where its at.
Buzz & Ned's in Richmond was really good when I went there.

I suspect that the US Damon's is a lot more "sports bar" than the UK one. I just love their ribs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

alternate.eago posted:

Kinda, they are more casual family dining, like a TGI Fridays, or Applebee's, or something. Also that bar we went to in DC totally changed the layout, menu, and management. It's not as good as it used to be.
Hmm, maybe they are similar, then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

The real deal one probably isnt even this nice.
Isn't that a common thing with film props? They're meant for a passable seen-in-motion ten foot finish, not close examination?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Possibly of relevance to this thread:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xgvxr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

I love this kind of stuff! That's awesome.
Maybe a rarity in the US, but the British comic Eagle always used to have a centre spread of a cutaway like that. There's a hardback book that collates a lot of them.

• Locked thread