Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Another problem with old fridges (besides door seals) is if they have an old compressor (like pancake style), and a thermostat that has long cut ins and outs. Those old compressors used more energy in the first place, and the pistons, rings and bores are going to be worn just like a car engine gets worn. the old t/stats run for too long just because they have such a high cut in (like 8C just to make sure the coils defrosts a bit before cycling), they are pretty erractic for holding temp in general and can't hold a 3C hysteresis.

lastly, and perhaps the biggest problem is the insulation. Probably fiberglass or wool, and it would have broken down, got compressed or even got a little moist over the years and become next to useless.

If you get a new compressor, t/stat control and re-insulate them, they would be OK but still use twice the power of a modern fridge. Even my 90s fridge uses twice the power of a modern fridge.
E: That said, I'd love one. I had a 1950s fridge for a short time (my neighbour had it in his shed and the gave it to me after I fixed his a/c. That 1950s house was the first and only house he'd bought/lived in. And that fridge was the first fridge he ever owned). I used it for homebrewing for a while but could't take it with me when I moved house

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread