Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sharkytm posted:

You ain't kidding... Just need FleetwoodS75 or Rizzunk to show up.

Maybe HonkNRalph, sza, or even Toilet Duck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I remembered this thread and have been beinge-watching Mr. Carlson's Lab videos on YoutTube to learn more about vacuum tube stuff, since I have an electronics background but knew nothing about tubes at all. In fact, I just picked up a Truetone D4630 radio from Goodwill for $1 to get some re-capping action and get some use from the old HeathKit tube tester I've had in a box for half my lifetime.

Crazy thing about the radio is that it is remote mount head, with cables from the volume/tuning knobs. There's even a secondary drive from the tuning knob to operate the indicator across the range. I'll get some pictures, its downright ingenious.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 21, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

MullardEL34 posted:

That Truetone is an early post-war aftermarket Auto Radio sold by Western Auto. It'll run on 6 volts, positive ground. Also, the mechanical vibrator it uses to convert 6VDC to AC to be fed to a transformer and stepped up to 250-300V then rectified again and filtered for the tube b+ voltage is almost always frozen. Once you crack the vibrator open, it's basically like servicing a set of points in a mechanical ignition. Shango066 on youtube shows you how to do it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyaqaWahEE

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give the vibrator a servicing, replace the old paper caps in it and see if she chooches! Any specific recommendations for vendors for the caps? I've read a lot about restoring tube gear, and this thing looks to be in great condition despite missing the logo. Even the remote head cables turn smoothly and the tubes look pretty good.

• Locked thread