Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Welcome back! We should hang out soon, maybe even when my Bricklin is running. Not that it would exactly fit in with any of your cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

Agree - IIRC you're in mid city? you should come by our Wed meets, very oddball cars show up.

Glendale. Not too far from the valley.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...7ec64ac88b91046

whaddya know! the guard rail is still in place and the trees have grown a lot.

Oh!

That's awesome. I love finding places like that in LA. I recently found a film location for my favorite episode of The Three Stooges from the 30's and the staircase is still exactly the same, except for being more weathered and uneven than when it was brand new. Proper star struck moment for me.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I figured I'd contribute a bit to the LA history vibe of this thread.

This is my office, built in 1919 in Westlake (now Koreatown).

Westlake used to be an upscale part of town with the Bullocks Wilshire department store as its crown jewel. It was considered a suburb of Los Angeles at the time, since it's about 5 miles west of where downtown LA was in 1919, so it attracted the wealthy and famous. This house was owned by Vilma Banky, a silver screen era actress, from around 1923-1927 until she got married to Rod La Rocque and moved to a new house.

Knowing she was a huge star at the time, I figured there might be pictures of her from the house somewhere online, and after a few hours of searching through public archives, I found a few. I took pictures of the house roughly from where the photographer was standing at the time to see if I could get the pictures to line up:

The 1970's were particularly rough for LA history as pretty much all of downtown to the Westlake area was completely bulldozed and gutted to put up cheap apartment housing. My office is the only house left on the block, the rest being torn down and replaced by gaudy apartment buildings. The only reason this one survived is because it was bought by a guy for next to nothing who wanted to use it as an office for his print design company before the new zoning laws were implemented. I moved my office here in 2008 and it's been a great second home in LA for me for the past 7 years.

Its time is running out though. The house is currently in escrow to be torn down and replaced with another lovely apartment building. Soon this street will lose all its history and class to turn into another typical Koreatown street.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lobster, did I see you at Damon's in Glendale the other week? I was having dinner with my girlfriend and her mom and couldn't make it over to see if it was you or not.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been known to frequent... most likely, was I with a bigger group?

Yep, sort of in the middle of the room. I usually go there on Tuesdays for their drink specials. Plus the waitstaff is awesome.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw this lot with some awesome older cars in Glendale today and thought of you. Apparently these cars are all passively for sale and there's pressure from nearby businesses to get rid of them. Figured I would post these here. If anyone would want to save these cars (or knew someone who would) it'd be you.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

I'm actually going to be not too far from that tomorrow, have to check it out! I have a few things in the works at the moment one is a 1947 chevy convertible!

They are parked on a lot at 710 East Colorado St in Glendale, if you wanted to see them.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

Do you know who's selling them?

If Lobsterboy hasn't already gotten there first, I might need to make a visit down there... Those '59s :love:

No, but the businesses next door should have his info. They are trying to get him to sell them or get rid of them. I couldn't find his contact info directly.

I can try to swing by and see if they are still there since it's been a few weeks, and also look for contact info.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

I saw this lot with some awesome older cars in Glendale today and thought of you. Apparently these cars are all passively for sale and there's pressure from nearby businesses to get rid of them. Figured I would post these here. If anyone would want to save these cars (or knew someone who would) it'd be you.

I went back to this place today and could not find any contact info for the owner. There is a mailbox there with half a dozen notes from people asking to buy the cars and leaving their phone numbers. So I don't know what the deal is. Shame to see such nice cars rotting away.

• Locked thread