Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

a California legal semi automatic BAR made by Ohio Ordnance

what

what

Don't buy that, because if you do I will come and steal it immediately. I'm serious bro - that is my dream gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Those tires look fantastic - love the matching size front/rear.

Nice stove too, my family has used the same one in white my whole life. Never seen the black/bakelite green though, looks dope. FYI if the burners don't want to light off the pilot, take out the little tubes that go between the two and blast them out with shop air etc. They get gunked up and your cooking life will be easier if they're clean.

Edit : this reminded me I still want that football if you haven't gotten rid of it yet! ! If you guys are ever cruising over near Fair Oaks Pharmacy or hitting the PCC flea market let me know!

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 12, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I've always wanted to try a Damon's in the US. I've been going to the UK ones for nearly 30 years, I've gone there for a meal on my birthday since I was 8.

Pretty sure that's a totally different Damons. The one they're talking about is a one-off classic Southern California tiki bar/steakhouse as far as I'm aware, and I"ve been going there since I was a child.

Lobsterboy, look for my parents in the big corner booth near the checkout register over towards the bar, that's their spot :v: Also, I bet you miss Bahookas.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

And yes, the fact that Bahooka went out is so sad. There are many rumors floating around about the demise of Rufus, their 30+ year old fish. This place was a dream, every table was surrounded by fishtanks

here he is being fed a carrot

Sucks if true, Rufus was a movie star :cool:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

http://frankiestikiroom.com/

open 24 hours, smoking allowed, jet fuel drinks - its as close to the real vintage tiki bar as you'll get.

The first time we went there, we got in the taxi and told him where we wanted to go - he looked back at us and said "you're an awful big fella, they might have a hard time carrying you out of there" and he meant it, I feel I can hold my liquor pretty good, but 2 drinks in I was wasted.

What I've yet to try in vegas is Golden Tiki

https://www.thegoldentiki.com/

Which is a very large bar - So large they do indoor chainsaw tiki carving nightly.

I can talk about tiki for hours - California in general has the highest concentration of tiki anywhere.

drat, frankie's looks cool, I'll have to check that out next time I'm in Vegas. While we're on the subject of Tikis, my own degrees of separation from the SoCal Tiki scene:

My grandma used to carve small ~6" Tikis out of wood, which my grandpa would then mold and cast. He sold them to a Robinson family - they did a lot of the design/decorating for the Disneyland Jungle River Cruise, and had a contract to sell souvenirs outside the ride in one of the little shops, back before everything was 110% LICENSED MICKEY. Grandpa would load up his Woodie station wagon with boxes of tikis, hide my mom and aunt (little girls at the time) under a blanket and sneak them into Disneyland to run around while he was doing business.

When I called my mom just now to confirm these details I learned that the molds are apparently still in a box up in my now-deceased grandmother's closet :shobon:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 8, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

Well hello again!

Hey man, great update, looks like you guys are having fun.

As a side note, my grandfather has one of those Ford pickup things (model A?? Not my thing really), lowered a bit/matte blacked/whitewalls/etc. just like your roadster, as kind of a pseudo hot rod (as far as I know the engine was bone stock). He just passed away last week, and I think it's going to fall to me to deal with his six vehicles. I don't have any pictures of it yet, but if you know anyone looking for something like that (:v:) let me know. It's in the Palisades.

Also, I haven't forgotten about your request for tiki photos, will try to fulfill next time I'm out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

6 cars huh? you let ME know if you need any help dealing - sorry for your loss man. what else did he have?

We will all miss him, but there is a good sense of happiness that he went out on his own terms, in his home, and almost certainly in his sleep. He had a good, long, ornery life.

Cars:

1941 Ford V8 "Super Deluxe" Woodie wagon - this was his pride and joy. It's in fantastic condition with a perfect original interior (as far as I can tell). The dash is mint. This was the only car garaged (thankfully).
1932 Ford Pickup - as mentioned
1967 Chevy Impala Convertible - red/white interior. He bought it from me some years ago when I needed something a little more practical. Sadly has been parked outside under a tarp in beach climate and has suffered a bit.
1987 Jeep XJ 4WD Wagoneer trim - totally thrashed junkyard material. I'm going to pull the split-headlights/grill for eBay, and maybe the 4.0 as a rebuild project/backup for my 88 XJ.
1996 Corvette C4 - bought as a favor to someone, soft top collapsed during the rainy season and is also probably junkyard material. Maybe the LT1 engine is worth something (I am resisting the urge to swap it into the Impala and keep it)?
1998 v6 4Runner SR5 2wd - in good condition, I'm hoping the family will agree to donate it to a friend of mine who is a Toyota guy and down on his luck/needing a new car
1954 Willys CJ3-B - unfortunately completely thrashed, minor body cancer, likely low-bid craigslist material/or $20,000 restoration. Rumored to be Tex Avery's at one time (he was a close family friend I just inherited his Smith & Wesson .22 Magnum revolver!!!)

Other notable cars I remember through my childhood, now gone:

1932 Model A roadster a lot like yours
1990s Buick Estate
1990s Cadillac Allante

He had truely eclectic tastes, and a Jukebox in the living room :911:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 8, 2017

• Locked thread