Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Official Thread Theme Song: https://youtu.be/ag_PYIwclzo

First, a little backstory to whet your appetites.

The L-shaped Tetris block

The L-shaped Tetris Block is probably the most well known of the blocks, both because of its iconic look and because it is the most probable block to be generated at any given point in a lot of Tetris games.

The J-shaped Tetris block:

The J-shaped Tetris block looks a lot like the L-shaped Tetris block and what seperates the men from the boys is being able to tell them apart really quickly so you don't waste precious time spinning it around, trying to make it into an L-shaped Tetris block,which it is not.

The O-shaped Tetris Block

Also called ”The Square”. A chief misconception about the O-shaped block is that you cannot spin it, when in fact you can. Some Tetris knockoffs, all of which are bad, does not intend for the square to be spun and as such will not play a spinning sound or do any graphics that lets you see that the square is being spun. Try picking up a square object for yourself and turning it around in your hand. Now imagine the kind of person who think that a square can't be turned around. Even worse, imagine the kind of person who knows that a square can be turned around, but who does not think that it matters. That kind of person should not be making games, least of all Tetris games. It gets even more ridiculous when you consider that ”the Square” block is really an O-block and an O is really just a ball. A lot of people who made Tetris games decided that a ball could or should not be be spun. What. The. gently caress. If there is one things that should spin it should be a ball. If the ball we live on stopped spinning we would die.

The Z-shaped Tetris block

This one looks tricky, but it actually fits in a lot of places, however it plays into the danger of the...

The S-shaped Tetris block

This one looks bad and is bad, because you might think you have gotten a Z-block, or you might think that it is no worse than a Z-block on average, but because of the L-blocks probability of appearing his higher than that of the J-block, things are not as they appear. One of the earliest and most important things you should learn as a novice Tetris player is that you can't turn an S-shaped block into a Z-shaped block no matter how many times you spin it.

:siren:Questions and Answers:siren:

Q: Aren't there more blocks???

A: Yes, there is. We've still got the block that some would call ”The Boss of Tetris” left unseen, as well as at least one more block, the name and shape of which I for 100 % sure know. Look towards future updates.

Q: All of the Tetris Block people are white. Why is that?

A: I don't know.

Now Let's Play Some Tetris, Motherfuckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Reserved/Placeholder

My wife:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Update 0001 – The Beginnings

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

...sure, I'll get in on the ground floor of this. Take me on a journey.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
1 Player

We gotta go solo on this one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I also made some fan art.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That stupid J block of yours is so fat that it breaks my tables.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
2 player, op

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Woah put :nws: tags around that, perv.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Why would you LP the worst version of Puyo Puyo.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What are you bringing to the table here, exactly?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Suspicious Dish posted:

What are you bringing to the table here, exactly?

An actual physical table.

In the shape of a tetris block.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

My tables are round, can I play too?

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.
I'm not exactly sure what to expect here. Color me intrigued, however.
:munch:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

J block's feet look like a scrotum.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

A lot of people have been meaning to voice their concerns about me being unable or unwilling to finish or even continue this LP, but are too cheap to buy me the platinum forums upgrade required to contact me. Well, not to those people, but to everyone else, I offer a sneak preview, an appetizer, of things to come, an example of what the hectic "mid-game" can look like.

Sneak Preview
:siren::siren: Keep in mind that this is only an example and that the random nature of blocks being generated runs a risk of this not being an event that is re-creatable and so the following scenario may never actually occur. The Sneak Preview is hidden behind a spoiler tag for those who would like to be introduced to the game at a more manageable pace. The Sneak Preview features block types not yet explained, please refrain from discussing these without the use of spoilers. :siren::siren:

Mega64 posted:

Thank you.

Carbon dioxide posted:

That stupid J block of yours is so fat that it breaks my tables.

I know that it is big, but the single most important thing to learn for any Tetris newcomer is that there is a J-shaped block. A lot of people thinks that there only is an L-shaped block and even seasoned veterans will spin a J-shaped block more than 3 times which is a waste of time that is NEVER necessary once you come to accept the existence of the J-shaped block fully. I like to spin blocks more times than needed for fun sometimes, though, but I believe I am the only one who does that.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

My tables are round, can I play too?

Yes. Also, I'm adding this Q&A to the FAQ in the OP, as being asked about tables is more the domain of my Ask/Tell thread: [Ask] "Ask me about Tables" thread.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like where this LP is going.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Can't fool me! I can see that the alleged-called "S"-shape is just a mirrored Z-shape. The L and J shapes are different - you can tell by the pixels and colors. Haven't played this game (and I assume speculation is ok), so I'm guessing "S" is really just Z rotated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Can we get some NES version bonus content in this thread? You can't call yourself a true Tetris Master until you've beaten Type B 9-5 and gotten the ending.

Sure, you can do that on Game Boy too, but it's just not the same.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
When are you going to unlock Master Mode and ascend to grandmaster op

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
a swing and a miss

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Um excuse me sir but you neglected to include the bio for the lowercase l-shaped block (spoiler in case you left it out on porpoise)

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This soundtrack really brings back a lot of memories and is a strong argument for video game music as a legitimate art form

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Block me, OP! Preferably as an L-shaped block.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

##Join the Infinite Spin to Win Party

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I am so glad that someone is doing an LP of this game. The story is one of the best you will ever find.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
hell yeah, I'm getting in on the ground floor of this! Bookmarked.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

and you of course ARE doing the low lines challenge?

LLC is the only real way to play the game.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Block me! I want to be a green J-shaped Tetris block!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Szatana

Szatana is a Level 3 S-shaped block. She appeared in the playing field one day, noone really knew from where; her past is shrouded in dark secrets, and only if she finds her true love will the miasmatic mysteries unravel...

Stats: Falling Speed 4/5 (it symbolizes her fall from grace, see below), Turning Speed 5/5 (dito), Row-fitting Ability 1/5 (she doesn't fit in well with the others!). 4 HP, 4 MP (standard starting values)

Personality: Aloof, mysterious. Troubled. Does not like to talk. Black hair, eyeliner, lipstick.

I'm at work so I don't want to make online payments, but I also need to post this now before the inspiration leaves me. OP, you of course need to know her secret backstory so you can RP her character correctly, read this. NOONE ELSE DO, I WILL LITERALLY MURDER YOU IF YOU DO.

I'm dead loving serious don't mouse over this.

Szatana was born as Zsatana, a Z-shaped piece! She was the cutest and most innocent and devoted of all the pieces...until The Piece That Must Not Be Named came into her family stack and deleted four entire rows at once. She only survived because she was still falling, as back then, her FS still was very low. Devastated by the evil in some pieces of poo poo, she Turned and swore vengeance.

It will turn out, though...her true love is a PTMNBN. Instant drama!

Only people who are not the OP mouse over this spoiler!
I know that you looked. I will find you and kill you you son of a square.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's Tuesday, I can sense an update.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

:siren:IT IS TUESDAY:siren:

Semi Update – On Being a Grand Master, Tetris & Weed and assorted Q&A

Thanks to everyone for all of the support, the fan art is especially well-recieved, as are the many questions and perhaps most of all, the charactiraztion of the S-shaped Tetris Block, Szatana, by Simply Simon. A friendly reminder that the forum rules does not allow for creepy fan art, and a personal request to keep any fan art PG-rated, which to the best of my understanding means that cleavage, butts, rock hard abs & pecs are allowed, but only full frontal nudity if done in a non-sexualized manner.

Sorry about the lack of Tetris picture in this update. A lot of people asked questions about Tetris and weed so I wanted a picture where all the blocks, or even better, the Russian style dancers toke up and get blazed as heck, but I don't want to use doctored screenshots and haven't been able to find a Tetris game where this actually happens. I couldn't find a good picture of a Tetris Grand Master either, probably as Tetris Grand Masters don't feel a need to call attention to themselves. I considered posting a picture of a Rubik's Cube Grand Master without their Rubik's Cube and passing them off as a Tetris Grand Master. Fortunately I did the honorable thing and lucked out by finding a Rubik's Cube Grand Master using a Rubik's Cube to toke up with, which I think is what I was looking for all along, really. In Tetris there is you must accept what you are given even if it is a Rubik'c Cube.

:siren:Assorted:siren:

I have tallied up the votes so far and it appears to be a complete tie between the 1 Player Mode and the 2 Player Mode :stare: Exciting.

I have also "blocked up" the following:

Fister Roboto – L-shaped Tetris Block
Fredrik1 – J-shaped Tetris Block – I sense a rivalry brewing between these two^
Simply Simon – Szatana – S-shaped Tetris Block with a mysterious past

I am happy to see a diverse cast thus far, but I can't help but notice that there aren't any O-shaped (square) Tetris Blocks yet. Some may feel that the O-Shaped Tetris block offers limited means of expression compared to that of the other blocks, which I have to disagree with, as covered in the OP. I feel that a future update dedicated to the O-shaped Tetris Block might be of interest.

Also, as recorded through the now defunct freetetris.org, more than 500 Tetris blocks are generated in an average game of Tetris, and that is with a significant majority of the games being ended prematurely by closing of the browser tab. Suffice to say, that means there is going to be a finite number of block of any given type generated throughout a game, the most popular of which is the L-shaped Tetris block. Roughly 80 L-Shaped Tetris Blocks are probable to be generated in addittion to the one already claimed, and variance dictates that I cannot faithfully guarantee more than a total of 50 L-Shaped Tetris Blocks actually being generated.

Questions & Answers – Tetris & Weed

Q: Do you have to smoke marijuana in order to play Tetris?
A: No.

Q: Will smoking marijuana make me better at playing Tetris?
A: There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to high Tetris scores.

Q: Is playing Tetris while smoking marijuana more dangerous than playing Tetris while smoking tobacco?
A: No. Research has shown that playing Tetris and smoking marijuana causes far less harm than playing Tetris and smoking tobacco.

Q: Has anyone ever died from smoking marijuana while playing Tetris?
A: In all of recorded medical literature, no one has ever died from a marijuana overdose while playing Tetris

Q: Where can I buy marijuana?
A: I am not going to help you with that. I don't think that weed is the devil and I don't think that it is a gateway drug, or whatever, I just know that at one point I found myself shooting H up between my toes and I'd get overwhelmed by melancholy, I don't know if that is a common thing from trip reports because I never cared about anyone else's experience with it. I got this extreme and overwhelming, but also soothing sense of melancholy. NOT nostaligia. I'd be thinking of this dog, a bull mastiff, that my family used to have, a real big softie. I'd relive this memory of me as a small kid, sitting atop of the dog, more like stradeling, maybe, you know, like I'm sort of riding it. Anyway, it is amazing to be alive.

Questions & Answers – On Grand Mastery

I don't intend to ignore these questions, but I think that true Grandmasters do not go around proclaiming that they are Grandmasters. Perhaps they sort of hint at the fact that they have achieved Grand Mastery, by answering questions in needlessly convoluted ways, and with way too many commas, perhaps, perhaps not, who truly knows.

Being a Grand Master is, in my opinion, not simply being good at the game. Grand Mastery is not a title, it is a concept, like kung fu, a state of being. One of the charms of Tetris is that anyone can enter the zone and experience Grand Mastery. Some will disagree, but to me, Tetris Grand Mastery does not mean effortless skill borne of strict training. Grand Mastery in Tetris can be achieved only in the moment, and it is achieved in the most unlikely places. Every Tetris player has a local story like an absurd high score set by someone's mom, which to me are the stories of Tetris Grand Mastery.

Thoughts on Possible Future Semi-updates

The O-Block (Full lenght update focusing on the O-shaped Tetris Block)

L vs. J and Z vs. S (it'd be natural to do these two topics in extension of one another, and useful as Z vs. S doesn't warrrant a full update, in my opinion)

The Zone - (Tetris Philosophy and Metaphysics, Statistics & Bullshit)

I Have Become Extremely Busy IRL (Short update where I claim to have become extremely busy IRL and never update again)

Steak Eater posted:

Um excuse me sir but you neglected to include the bio for the lowercase l-shaped block (spoiler in case you left it out on porpoise)

Keen eye. I believe you meant the I-shaped Tetris Block, however. The T-shaped Tetris Block is missing as well, and for the same reason; it'd be too much to take in at once. I feel like I made a mistake in not holding back the O-shaped block, as well.

klafbang posted:

Can't fool me! I can see that the alleged-called "S"-shape is just a mirrored Z-shape. The L and J shapes are different - you can tell by the pixels and colors. Haven't played this game (and I assume speculation is ok), so I'm guessing "S" is really just Z rotated.

Just a little test to see if there are any Grand Masters amongst us.

JohnCompany posted:

and you of course ARE doing the low lines challenge?

LLC is the only real way to play the game.

I agree, but voting between the 1 Player Mode and 2 Player Mode is still unresolved, which means I can't guarantee a particular playstyle yet as I don't even know whether I will have to coerce a hot goon babe into starring as a potential Player 2 and co-commentating under threat of suicide.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
There can be only one player mode.

Also, Block me Amadeus, as a Maestro

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Glad you liked my character suggestion! So it pains me even more for decreasing your thread's viewcount by three posters. On the other hand, the warning was clear, they shouldn't have looked.

I am surprised there is even a vote, though; with only two players, will it not be hard to roleplay all the deep and meaningful interactions between Szatana and her brethren? I was under the assumption that you used the common MMO expansion. If that is for a later date, I apologize; in the meantime, may I suggest a few mods for you to consider adding once you start that? I highly recommend the Realistically Pixellated Reproduction Block Mod as well as the O-Blocks Are Always Aggressive Alteration.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Get that overpowered OC poo poo out of here.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Oh, you're from the Montana school of Tetris Mastery. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'll take the Z-Block. Secretly follows Szatana around, but denies it if anyone tries to point out that he's not really very good at being secret.

• Locked thread