Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Davincie posted:

everything surrounding the lusitanian boy and his gorgeous hair is a bit stupid

how dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I thought this was a really solid episode.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, I thought this was the most entertaining episode in ages. I'll take this over more bad CGI fights and Narsus being infallible anyday.

Also I'm not at all convinced the lusitanian boy is actually a boy, all the little flashes of backstory seemed to indicate the opposite, with all the "I can't possibly let you put yourself in danger" "Gotta bring honor to my family" stuff and the way he/she has been obviously distancing themselves from the troops.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Davincie posted:

this episode was better than last week even if everything surrounding the lusitanian boy and his gorgeous hair is a bit stupid

:allears: So right and yet so wrong.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This was an amazing episode.

Spoilers for today's episode that I went online to confirm so possibly book spoilers but I think this episode was pretty much clear: I think it's clear and obvious that Etoile is a girl right? She has visible breasts and what not. I now know whom I'm shipping now. Marry her Arslan and join both your Houses! This episode really should be considered the reveal of it right? It's hilarious because it means the earlier scene of Narsus's squire meeting her they were both cross dressing!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

madmac posted:

Yeah, I thought this was the most entertaining episode in ages. I'll take this over more bad CGI fights and Narsus being infallible anyday.

Also I'm not at all convinced the lusitanian boy is actually a boy, all the little flashes of backstory seemed to indicate the opposite, with all the "I can't possibly let you put yourself in danger" "Gotta bring honor to my family" stuff and the way he/she has been obviously distancing themselves from the troops.

Wasn't the implication that Etiole is a girl?

They made a big deal of highlighting that Etiole was more deserving to be a knight/soldier than the men we saw despite her station and contrasted that with Arslan's decision to take the throne despite Hermes having the stronger claim.

Good episode but I was surprised that Narsus hadn't put up defences to keep out spies.

Spoilers from the preview for the next episode.

Does Grieve die in the books? The title and preview makes it look like he either leaves or dies.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

This week was better. A lot of the backgrounds have been really nice through the whole series and it sucks when crappy character art is laid on top.

Davincie posted:

this episode was better than last week even if everything surrounding the lusitanian boy and his gorgeous hair is a bit stupid

They're going to kiss

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah Etoile had super obvious eyelashes that seemed to suggest "he" is female. it did seem like she had breasts, the flashback seemed like a "you're a girl, you can't go to war" deal, and then to seal the deal she wore "drag" to infiltrate Peshawar.

she seems great for Arslan, Daryun be damned

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

.jpg posted:

This week was better. A lot of the backgrounds have been really nice through the whole series and it sucks when crappy character art is laid on top.

They're going to kiss

They loving better.

I love the little cringe she did every time Arslan started talking about the "boy" he met way back in the day.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I liked last episode because Hermes is a badass, and I liked this episode even more because got to take stock of just who Arslan is, what he stands for, and what he believes in.

Also Ettie is awful at spying. Well, she's good at the theory of spying, but really bad at it in practice. Also, Arslan would have noticed the sword callouses on her hand.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Phobophilia posted:

I liked last episode because Hermes is a badass, and I liked this episode even more because got to take stock of just who Arslan is, what he stands for, and what he believes in.

Also Ettie is awful at spying. Well, she's good at the theory of spying, but really bad at it in practice. Also, Arslan would have noticed the sword callouses on her hand.

Eh, maybe he thought they were just callouses from being a laborer.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Missed opportunity there. They should have shown him notice but say nothing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arslan isn't much of anything aside from pretty and kind, it's fine that he didn't Narsus the situation and figure out who she was.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

Arslan isn't much of anything aside from pretty and kind, it's fine that he didn't Narsus the situation and figure out who she was.

I wouldn't go as far as recognizing Etoile, but more "Hrm, this person is more than she says she is." but still help her anyways because Arslan sees and brings out the best in people.

Arslan reminds me of the general view of what the Starks are from Game of Thrones, like Ned, a ruler you can admire and fight for and who governs you justly and protects you in return and is generally extremely decent in person regardless of your station.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Arslan reminds me of...a ruler you can admire and fight for and who governs you justly and protects you in return and is generally extremely decent in person regardless of your station.

yeah, definitely. I'm glad that they went all-in on that, having Arslan quickly gain massive support but also experience some of the downsides that come with it. Whenever Pars is reclaimed it'll be interesting to follow the reconstruction politics and how he deals with them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dogsicle posted:

yeah, definitely. I'm glad that they went all-in on that, having Arslan quickly gain massive support but also experience some of the downsides that come with it. Whenever Pars is reclaimed it'll be interesting to follow the reconstruction politics and how he deals with them.

I also appreciate you editing his statement to not be a GoT reference.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I also appreciate you editing his statement to not be a GoT reference.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
References have a purpose in communicating meaning. It's not like you know any sovereigns in real life you can relate Arslan to so you might as well choose another fictional one that everyone should generally know exists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Great, now I'm going to have to go google Ned Stark to see if he did anything besides get his head cut off.

I'm pretty sure he's the dad and not one of the kids, unless I'm misremembering.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also your statement was true and accurate without the namedrop from a show I don't watch and shouldn't be expected to have to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a dumb comparison anyway because Ned's whole point was that he died because he was a good, honourable man stuck in a world of dirty, underhanded bastards.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there are real life examples of good kings everyone knows you know. or you know, incredibly famous mythical figures like king arthur

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also your statement was true and accurate without the namedrop from a show I don't watch and shouldn't be expected to have to.

Perhaps but I find the reaction a little baffling when the few years of discourse in these very forums had people referencing other shows when talking about the show people are discussing because it gives a little context as to why they like something or not like something.

Also referencing also serves a purpose in sorta suggesting other shows people can watch if the current show is being slow between updates or something; a bit post-hoc as a reason goes but I think it exists and I personally keep an eye out for the same.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Perhaps but I find the reaction a little baffling when the few years of discourse in these very forums had people referencing other shows when talking about the show people are discussing because it gives a little context as to why they like something or not like something.

Also referencing also serves a purpose in sorta suggesting other shows people can watch if the current show is being slow between updates or something; a bit post-hoc as a reason goes but I think it exists and I personally keep an eye out for the same.

Thing is, the thread's history kind of already provided a good example. And it was arguably more relevant, rather than merely topical. Because let's face it a lot of people will shoehorn in a GoT reference these days and that gets annoying.

Fictional Liu Bei was a super "good king" type and honestly the first thing I thought of when I thought of Arslan and his posse of hypercompetent companions. Narsus is even a fictional Zhuge Liang type, as has been referenced before in discussions.

Now historically those guys were some straight up bustas and petty warlords (compared to the relatively progressive Cao Cao) but with regards to the Ro3K novel, I think a lot of people in the thread were comparing Team Arslan to Shu Han. If not openly I suspect they were thinking it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to take you up on the implied suggestion to watch Game of Thrones, however.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no don't watch game of thrones

edit: sorry misread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shut the gently caress up about GoT

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

time i would spend watching game of thrones is time i'm not spending looking up pictures of narsus and daryun arslan and etoile kissing, so, seems like a waste to me

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I stopped watching this show around episode 6 but I can't say no to an anime about a cute androgynous couple

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Thing is, the thread's history kind of already provided a good example. And it was arguably more relevant, rather than merely topical. Because let's face it a lot of people will shoehorn in a GoT reference these days and that gets annoying.

Fictional Liu Bei was a super "good king" type and honestly the first thing I thought of when I thought of Arslan and his posse of hypercompetent companions. Narsus is even a fictional Zhuge Liang type, as has been referenced before in discussions.

Now historically those guys were some straight up bustas and petty warlords (compared to the relatively progressive Cao Cao) but with regards to the Ro3K novel, I think a lot of people in the thread were comparing Team Arslan to Shu Han. If not openly I suspect they were thinking it.

LoTGH and RotK references are no different, I think it's actually very difficult to argue that they are inherently more relevant or hold more justification to reference when comparing themes and characters. They're good references too, and one of these days when I have the time I'll finish them; but when someone compares a character in a work to a character in another work, and another does the same but with a slightly different work but seem to only have a knee jerk reaction to one? That's arbitrary. The more comparisons to fiction the better because we get more point of views.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

LoTGH and RotK references are no different, I think it's actually very difficult to argue that they are inherently more relevant or hold more justification to reference when comparing themes and characters. They're good references too, and one of these days when I have the time I'll finish them; but when someone compares a character in a work to a character in another work, and another does the same but with a slightly different work but seem to only have a knee jerk reaction to one? That's arbitrary. The more comparisons to fiction the better because we get more point of views.

The comparisons are more relevant because R3K is extremely famous and obviously served as an inspiration in Arslan's writing, and because Arslan and LotGH share an author and thus knowledge of one informs knowledge of the other by glimpsing the author's mind. In both cases there are very direct, overt comparisons to be made. With GoT, comparisons can still of course be made and may be useful in describing the characters and events, but these comparisons lack the analytical value of those coming from Arslan's historical precedents and it's author's other works.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

but seriously, it's not okay that google image search returns zero relevant results for arslan and etoile kissing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think this thread is at its worst when references pop up, like that time people kept talking about LoGH as if there was any relevant connection other than sharing an author (meanwhile this anime is an adaptation of an adaptation of said author's work)

i know little about Rot3K but it at least has some gravitas compared to GoT and the nauseatingly talked-up LoGH.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cephas posted:

I stopped watching this show around episode 6 but I can't say no to an anime about a cute androgynous couple

It isn't about that at all though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's about Narsus repeatedly chumping people.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh, no it is about Daryun murdering the gently caress out of dudes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Adelheid posted:

The comparisons are more relevant because R3K is extremely famous and obviously served as an inspiration in Arslan's writing, and because Arslan and LotGH share an author and thus knowledge of one informs knowledge of the other by glimpsing the author's mind. In both cases there are very direct, overt comparisons to be made. With GoT, comparisons can still of course be made and may be useful in describing the characters and events, but these comparisons lack the analytical value of those coming from Arslan's historical precedents and it's author's other works.

Okay, suppose I accept the R3K is "more relevant" or "more comparable for 'meaningful' analysis"; it's demonstrably a difference in degree and isn't a non-sequitor in the discussion and making GBS threads on it isn't the appropriate response. In this case it's clearly hypocrisy. I'm just expressing my interest and my engagement in the work through the context and reference pool I have readily available and if you can't accept it on the grounds of contributing to the discussion on an analysis level then it's the reasonable thing to do to accept it as the way someone else is expressing their enthusiasm.

Adelheid posted:

but seriously, it's not okay that google image search returns zero relevant results for arslan and etoile kissing

This we can be of one mind of however. Try Pixiv?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

deece ep, bit predictable. there's a short scene after the credits and the drawing this week is from the lady who does saint young men. i wonder what the finale will be? i don't think they're going to get to ectabana at this rate

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Arslan should have hanged the three stooges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Razzled posted:

Arslan should have hanged the three stooges

A good general needs to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of his subordinates in order to wisely determine their disposition in battle. Glory hound aggressive commanders like them are similar to Admiral Halsey, Patton, etc; Generals who wanna meet the enemy and punch them in the face the sooner the better. They're good assets, guaranteed to give battle and give it their all. More cautious generals on the flip side may allow and enemy to escape or pass by them rather than engage when they need to engage.

Although on the flipside, cautious commanders give you people like the Roman General and Politician for whom "Fabian Tactics" owes its name; people certain to not foolishly guide their army to catastrophe.

For Arslan they'd be good generals when you wanna race to the enemy and be certain you have generals who are motivated enough to drive their troops to give it their all. Not so good as we see when the enemy has the terrain advantage and you lack sufficient intel.

In short, it wouldn't be wise for Arslan whose position is still uncertain to start chopping off peoples heads for insubordination if they show clear contrition and remorse (which they did). Arslan and Narsus need them when the time comes and I think this set back served a valuable purpose in instilling a sense of personal loyalty and unity to his otherwise quarreling forces. His troops now know he wont foolishly throw their lives away and will go the extra mile to preserve them when he can; that's Hannibal territory right there. It's a powerful sort of morale advantage.

Also read the intro prelude chapter to Art of War; "If at first they don't follow my orders then the fault is mine, for I was unclear." They need to gently caress up a bit more before Arslan is clearly justified.

Good on Gieve though, he's taking his role on like a champ; hopefully he's officially allowed to be let back in when they win.

• Locked thread