Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The best part of historical drama is getting into the mindset of people whose assumptions and standards are alien to modern readers/viewers. In loosely-historical fantasy, that accuracy doesn't really matter, but the inspiration for what they're doing is still cool and informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

If you do I won't watch it.

What is the meaning of this, Lord Sharkopath? :mad:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo wouldn't it basically be a slideshow of plot points?

Or 50 minutes of fight scenes with no context re: who these characters are or why you should care about them, like the Berserk movies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I think a lot of the characters humanising touches are from Arakawa's manga though.

Oh, does the manga give her creative control over plot/dialogue stuff as well? This show kept surprising me with how much more engaging and personable it was than Legend of Galactic Heroes, but I assumed it was just pacing and the smaller cast at work. If Arakawa's actually involved on a writing level that explains it better (but now I'm worried about what will happen afterwards.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Being able to inspire the kind of loyalty that gets a poor traveler to throw away bags of gold for you is pretty impressive.

Those bags of gold were from the Ecbatana royal treasury, right? Just look at it as paying him back. :v:

I liked that they justified Arslan's idealism and naivete with something from his background this episode, instead of just making him naturally good. The whole surrogate parents + socialized around other children thing explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I laughed but I don't think it'll stay funny if the whole rest of the series is going to look like that.

• Locked thread