Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm bullish on thalassocracies these days. "First Admiral" has a nice ring for a head of state, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I don't clearly remember that from school, no. That's interesting, but then again the US now is an entirely different country than it was back when the Constitution was written, hence why I am asking why confederacy wouldn't work now.

Because any two randomly selected states are likely to have radically different understandings of the law and this would create profound difficulties if everyone was allowed to run off the chain and just Do Whatever the gently caress.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
evidently your disillusionment sure as heck didnt spring from cracking many books

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Really? Outside of a few specific cases, I find this difficult to believe.

For instance, what would California gain from annexing, say, Nevada? The latter is a shithole of a desert with few things of value. It would simply be a net loss for California's economy.

Las Vegas has historically been part of the Californian patrimony, and as such must be reunited with the motherland.

• Locked thread