Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A goodcase study in this kind of federalism is the fight over the indirect election of senators near the end of the gilded age. Which is also something that constitution humping libertarians occasionally advocate. The wayitworked was that smaller fish need a smaller bribe so moving government to a smaller scale makes corruption easier not harder. im phoneposting rinow so I can't show them to you but there are plenty of political cartoons and commentary on this subject.

Itseems like an easy fix but it makes the problem worse not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Liberals are such hypocrites: they'll support Obama just because he is black, but they won't support Herman Cain, who is also black.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I've been kicking around a similar question, honestly. Because yeah we're absolutely gridlocked and gerrymandered and it makes no sense. But like this thread has been saying shutting down the federal government isn't going to fix that.

So what I'm wondering is, what if we just did away with state representation? Leave them as governing bodies for their regions yeah, but remove them from the equation at the federal legislative level. What if, instead, we replaced it with socio-economic representation? Think like unions but nation-wide and given legislative authority. So instead of having X people to represent California, X for Wyoming, X Alabama, etc you would have X people representing minimum wages service profession, X representing corporate managers, and so on as dictated by their percentage of the population. Is there anything to this, or am I missing something that would botch the whole thing? (Besides "Union" being a Killing Word and the upper classs never in a million years allowing it to happen.)

What you are describing is very similar to the fascist third way approach that rejects both capitalism and communism. If you are going that route I recommend the Italians. They have fast cars and cool buildings.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I'm sympathetic to that line of reasoning but essentially codifying guilds as the model for the person is rather dystopian. Especially given the current fluidity of the job market as well as the multiple roles a person is expected to occupy.

Let's take a step back from straight up corporatism or national syndicalism and go with syndicalism as a basic starting point:

It looks like a good idea, but it runs into the same problem as the Soviet model (only instead of soviets based on locality, you have "soviets" based on employment). The squeeze between the syndicate and the federation allows for easy access to corrupting forces (similar to the indirect election of senators in the US).

Plus, populations tend to self-segregate. What we need isn't radical change, we just need to be better at districting. Impartial districting is a solution that has a greater chance of being realized as opposed to reinvented the wheel.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What the gently caress does that even mean? When I move to a new area, the friends I make (people like me) tend to be within 20 miles of where I am living. Where I move after that basically triangulates and the distance narrows.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So what?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Not really. You'll always have some potential for fuckery around the edges of a district, which is why better districting is important. Otherwise you've got people self segregating by socioeconomic class as well as race and creed. There should ideally still be a distribution of political opinions as well as people being people (sorry your neighbors don't like you Fishmensch). I fail to see how that is a problem.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

No I was talking about how the neighbors at the last place were pretty racist towards the black people living in the apartment above us.

Which is one of the factors that drives self selection . . .

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I always liked the "fighting words" over the "obscenity" cases.

One of the few cases where Alito was right is Synder v Phelps. I mean, the whole point of the Phelps clan is to actively incite violence so they can then sue. It's how they support themselves. But evidently, that isn't "incitement" or even "fighting words", it is just free speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Human rights at the UN is like a minimum wage for human rights. And like the minimum wage, there are plenty of states in the US that are well below average already and would like to see the whole thing abolished.

• Locked thread