Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jagchosis posted:

OP you realize that the U.S. started as a lower-case-c confederacy, it was a catastrophic unmanageable shithole and economic disaster, and the Constitution was written in response right?

ah that's a good strategy, hit them with "otoh recorded history" early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How do states suppress votes more than national government? And how would giving state governments more rights to govern themselves lead to bigoted laws? I don't follow.

it's not like then-Texas Attorney General and current governor Greg Abbott blew his load all over Twitter about how he was free to enforce draconian Voter ID laws after SCOTUS struck down a section of the Voting Rights Act two years ago

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What point do you think I'm making? I keep asking honest questions and I'm getting hilarious one-liners in response. The majority of the last 250 years of American history has been under a strong central national government, so Jim Crow, Japanese-American internment during WWII, fuckery of Native Americans, the drug war, the Great Depression, and others. Yes there have been leaps and bounds in personal freedoms (some more than others), but there's still seemingly systemic problems that hold us back as a nation, and I figured I had a good point for discussion. Or at least I could educate myself about related topics through getting schooled with knowledge instead of GoOn IrOnY.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

and who, pray tell, was doing the jim crow? last i checked it was states that had those laws on the books until the *GASP* FEDERAL GOVERNMENT *GASP* made them knock it off

you know, much like how pretty much the entire south had grandfather clauses or literacy tests or something until the feds passed a law that made them stop it for almost 50 years, before it got gutted

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Captain_Maclaine, thanks for not being a dick about someone honestly attempting discussion. I hadn't thought about it the way you explained it, and I see what the issues are with letting some states have more power to oppress.

Also, I am not libertarian or Republican or right-wing at all. Being that I didn't bring up any popular talking points (that I know of) aside from reducing the power of central government somewhat, especially considering the increase in central power in the last fifteen years or so, I don't understand how someone can argue that I seem to be a member of those parties. Other than retarded non discussion straw men lulz, I guess. I hadn't realized how lax the requirements for posting had become in this forum. This isn't a slam, really, just that I prefer debate and discussion in D&D and the empty quotes and edgy comedy in GBS.

ok, so you have a gut feeling that there's been an "increase in central power in the last fifteen years or so" whereas many "shitposters" here (myself included) have brought up actual historical examples of state governments making life miserable for blacks and gays and stifling the former's right to vote before the federal government stopped them from doing so. why don't you answer them instead of whinging about empty quotes and edgy comedy?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah OP, for real, look at the screwjob happening in places like North Carolina (where plutocrat Art Pope singlehandedly bought the GOP legislative majorities in both houses), Kansas (home turf of the Koch brothers, currently reeling after tax cuts passed by the governor and teabag-dominated state legislature) and Wisconsin (need I say anything about Scott Walker?); special interests can pack state legislatures and do much more damage there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah OP, for real, look at the screwjob happening in places like North Carolina (where plutocrat Art Pope singlehandedly bought the GOP legislative majorities in both houses), Kansas (home turf of the Koch brothers, currently reeling after tax cuts passed by the governor and teabag-dominated state legislature) and Wisconsin (need I say anything about Scott Walker?); special interests can pack state legislatures and do much more damage there.

what, exactly, about this post grinds your gears Mr. Dunnegan

why do you ignore it

how is it assholish

• Locked thread