Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I honestly assumed from the title this was a proposal to eliminate states in favor of a unified national government, which while unreasonable is actually a much, much better idea than the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That looks interesting, I'll check it out today. Thanks.

EDIT: But lol, posters can poo poo on me and break the basic SA rules without punishment but I can't explain my viewpoint when I'm being strawmanned and/or misunderstood? Labeling me as a retard libertarian and everything else changes the discussion and makes it difficult to have a discussion on its own merits. You say tone arguments, I say ad hominem and straw manning. Obvious double standards.

In truth, good sir, you should afford these ill-mannered rakes not the pleasure of deriding your posts, and should stay your posting quill as much for their sake as your own, that they might pause to consider the folly of their slander.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

And I know there's probably going to be a reply that I CAN participate and ignore the haters more, but why are they allowed to continue? Is this GameFAQs?

Well I suppose the appropriate moderator action would be to probate everyone who insulted you then probate you for backseat moderation and discussing forum issues here instead of QCS, and probate me for this post. Oh also to tell you to cut out the insane narcissism.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Typo posted:

I think the problem of decentralization in the US is that politically it seems to be really tied up to the concept of "state's rights" and all the baggage that comes with it.

I can't imagine devolution in the UK or decentralization in Germany being an ideological subject.

It's not just baggage in terms of what happened with states rights, but with the fact the U.S. started as a loose confederation without a strong national past. States rights wasn't a radical notion so much as a genuine reactionary movement. Frankly, there are still significant parts of the country that lack the institutional capacity and civil society to function as developed liberal democracies without a federal government.

Also, you would increase the (already way too large) power of non-state entities by making every interstate American company into an effective multinational corporation. Don't like NAFTA allowing trucks that follow Mexican safety and pollution standards in the country? I guarantee you one of our great 50 states would beat the still-United States of Mexico in a race to the bottom.

Also consider straight up criminals. It took the Feds until the 80's to bust most of the Mafia's power. What would happen without them? (The answer is actually the NYPD paramilitary would take them on, but not without getting into actual gunfights with other state law enforcement along the way (poo poo I'm waiting for an NYPD spook in Paris to shoot a gendarme as it is, only a matter of time)).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Why stop at states' rights? California is larger than most countries; why should that vast expanse of radically different regions all be subject to Sacramento? To ensure that all parts of the US are under local rule, I propose we break it up into a confederation of sovereign city-states.

This is the example where military force really does come into play, however, with the south using whatever force necessary to secure water from the north at a favorable cost.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

magical utopia new york city, home of mass-arrests for being homeless simply because the rich white liberals there don't like having to look at them

slashie was...right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Pauline Kael posted:

Right, clearly 2 Human Rights paradises! How silly of me to think that countries like Saudi Arabia, Russia or Cuba would ever want to infringe on what we consider Human Rights. Hell, most of the rest of the 'civilized' world doesn't even have free speech. Of course, most here probably don't like freedom of speech because of triggers and so on.

The US doesn't have free speech either doofus. The last prosecution for writing obscene material was in 2008.

• Locked thread