Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you do go on the show, make sure you bring all the documentation showing you paid him. TV judges, especially Judge Judy, don't seem to like it when you leave things like receipts at home. From what I remember Mathis is more of a "life lesson" type judge and less angry/dramatic than Judge Judy or Judge Alex, so I doubt they'd embellish too much to make either of you look crazy.

Anyway, if I were you I'd do it. Like you said it's the only realistic way you'll ever see any money out of this, and it works out well for the other guy too who seems more stupid/gullible than malicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zogo posted:

If I was swindled (even if I was in the right) I'd be concerned about going on that show. If he wants some more audience laughs he's going to go after you too for being conned by this obvious rube. Just be ready to be a comedy prop as well.

Mathis doesn't crack a lot of jokes, at least not mean-spirited ones. His main gimmick is having heart-to-heart mentoring moments with inner-city kids who are "throwing their life away", and often ends with a tearful reconciliation with the kid and their family that is suing them. That's why I was surprised they picked this case, especially considering the producer confirmed that family stuff is their MO.

Anyway, even if he does make the OP into a comedy prop, it doesn't really matter if he gets paid. I mean, we're talking about Judge Mathis. The chances of anyone the OP knows actually seeing the episode is fairly low, unless he knows a lot of unemployed/retired people who watch daytime TV all day. Besides, if the OP's story is true, this wasn't an obvious con at all, just a guy selling a gun online. People do that all the time with no problems. He did get conned, but unless you're on Judge Judy, the TV judge usually doesn't rule against you for doing/saying something stupid, it's about what you're legally entitled to.

• Locked thread