Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Boing posted:

I don't get what's complicated about it? Unless you're using an old version of the quickstart rules. It's pretty much 3 segments on a 6, 2 on a 4-5, and 1 on a 1-3. Plus or minus some if there's a good reason the player has an advantage or disadvantage.

It's pretty drat complicated. You have to consider the situation to determine their position, and then you have to consider if they could do it well with respect to their own abilities, the quality of any items they have, the scale of the target, and their relative potency. Then you ask if people are helping, and if they wan't a devil's bargain. Even without the second die roll, that's a lot of fiddly bits to resolve the question: "am I the competent thief that my playbook suggests I am?"

The v3 version of the game, which I consider to be a better system, only had you determine your position; the effect came as a result of that fiction and your gear and that was it. The rest of those 'factors' got tied into determining the position, and that was just fine. Comparatively, the v6 quickstart just feels... cloudier for no benefit.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that I think the game is still a lot of fun, and it's certainly easy to be creative with. I ran four sessions of it with a group of drug dealers, and it was excellent. But that felt more in spite of all of these extra rules, not because of them. The core game is sound, but the rest of the random cruft is just that: cruft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Fenarisk posted:

I like taking stress just because to clear it you need to indulge in vices in your downtime which for us from an RP perspective was super fun and REALLY fleshed out the characters as actual people with issues outside of jobs.

The one cutter in the group played up being disfigured like Richard Harrow and coming to terms with that when his vice was lust, having to resort to prostitutes.

Using a mechanic solely because Roleplay mandate it and not because it's useful to it is the mark of a lovely mechanic. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Using a mechanic solely because Roleplay mandate it and not because it's useful to it is the mark of a lovely mechanic. :colbert:

Well, it's also useful. The healing rules are set up as they are because you're supposed to really want to avoid taking harm. Anything above level 1 harm is pretty nasty--it's either -1d on all applicable rolls (level 2 harm) or you're so badly hurt that you need someone's help to do drat near anything (level 3 harm). You take stress to resist harm because it's easier to get rid of stress than it is to get rid of harm, but at the same time, you're supposed to feel some amount of tension there because maxing out your stress gives you a trauma that you can (almost) never get rid of.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Harrow posted:

Well, it's also useful. The healing rules are set up as they are because you're supposed to really want to avoid taking harm. Anything above level 1 harm is pretty nasty--it's either -1d on all applicable rolls (level 2 harm) or you're so badly hurt that you need someone's help to do drat near anything (level 3 harm). You take stress to resist harm because it's easier to get rid of stress than it is to get rid of harm, but at the same time, you're supposed to feel some amount of tension there because maxing out your stress gives you a trauma that you can (almost) never get rid of.

The objection to this argument is: the narrative didn't demand these things, the system did. A system applying external narrative pressure can be nice, but at the fine-grained level of wounds it comes off as kludgy instead of interesting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

The objection to this argument is: the narrative didn't demand these things, the system did. A system applying external narrative pressure can be nice, but at the fine-grained level of wounds it comes off as kludgy instead of interesting.

I think the fine-grained wound tracking makes some sense for a game trying to do what Blades in the Dark does, and burning stress to sort of twist the narrative enough to avoid the nastier harm is a neat way of applying pressure and encouraging players to balance the two. From what I can tell, it's supposed to enforce two ideas: every wound is a story (hence the specificity of wound tracking), and your characters are walking a very fine line and living a very dangerous life (which is why wounds can be so nasty and stress can lead to irrevocable consequences).

I'd never apply it to a heroic adventure game, though, maybe unless I was going full Darkest Dungeon with it. It's a system that wouldn't make sense for a story in which your characters are The Heroes, but makes perfect sense (at least for me) for a story in which the characters are constantly living on the edge.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

After re-reading and playing around with some ideas, here's my modification for harm: Any 1 harm boxes are cleared with 2 ticks of the harm clock, 2 harm boxes are cleared by 4 ticks of the harm clock, and 3 harm is cleared by all 8 ticks of the harm clock. This would be cumulative, since really most rolls are going to be hitting the 2 effect result if the player is lucky. This way two downtime rolls for stress and harm can reasonably get a character ready for the next job without being hosed, or one downtime roll can mitigate a good chunk of either while still allowing another action. If a player is in a bad spot they can always spend 1 coin to do a third downtime action (or more).

I'm also playing with the idea that adding a trauma grants a 1 stress bonus to the track to show the players are more hardened, but that's because I tend to run my games longer term and like a more "big drat heroes of crime" game than a gritty slog through lasting injuries and likely death/insanity. I'd have to see how both homebrew rules work in the wild though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I think one of the ways you're supposed to scale difficulty is just make harder/softer moves, like Dungeon World. A failure on a Skirmish roll against a couple chump guards has a very different fictional risk and mechanical consequence than the same roll against expert Red Sash assassins. You can wiggle out of the harm with stress either way, but how badly you want to depends on the nature/level of the harm.

Disclaimer: I have run this game all of once.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

On a slightly similar subject, I'm having trouble visualising progress clocks. If players start ticking one clock to get by an obstacle, then decide midway to use another method, would you reset the clock? Create another one?
For exemple, PCs need to open a safe. First they start to try to use brute force, making little progress because it's sturdier than expected (Say 3/8 progress), before deciding to kidnap a NPC who knows the combination. Would you keep the already begun clock, even if it doesn't make sense that taking a hammer to the safe would make kidnapping someone easier, or do something else?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

After re-reading and playing around with some ideas, here's my modification for harm: Any 1 harm boxes are cleared with 2 ticks of the harm clock, 2 harm boxes are cleared by 4 ticks of the harm clock, and 3 harm is cleared by all 8 ticks of the harm clock. This would be cumulative, since really most rolls are going to be hitting the 2 effect result if the player is lucky. This way two downtime rolls for stress and harm can reasonably get a character ready for the next job without being hosed, or one downtime roll can mitigate a good chunk of either while still allowing another action. If a player is in a bad spot they can always spend 1 coin to do a third downtime action (or more).

I could be mistaken, but I think level-1 harm is cleared right away when you take a Recover downtime action, no roll required. The recovery clock only comes in for level-2 and 3 harm.

Captain Walker posted:

I think one of the ways you're supposed to scale difficulty is just make harder/softer moves, like Dungeon World. A failure on a Skirmish roll against a couple chump guards has a very different fictional risk and mechanical consequence than the same roll against expert Red Sash assassins. You can wiggle out of the harm with stress either way, but how badly you want to depends on the nature/level of the harm.

Disclaimer: I have run this game all of once.

This is pretty correct, yes. It's all down to the "position" system or whatever it's called now--before a player rolls, the GM tells them whether they're in a dominant position, risky position, or desperate position, and that determines the consequences for partial successes and failures. Desperate rolls also give XP.

Iceclaw posted:

On a slightly similar subject, I'm having trouble visualising progress clocks. If players start ticking one clock to get by an obstacle, then decide midway to use another method, would you reset the clock? Create another one?
For exemple, PCs need to open a safe. First they start to try to use brute force, making little progress because it's sturdier than expected (Say 3/8 progress), before deciding to kidnap a NPC who knows the combination. Would you keep the already begun clock, even if it doesn't make sense that taking a hammer to the safe would make kidnapping someone easier, or do something else?

I think you'd keep the clock, if only to preserve the flow of play. Because a clock is for an obstacle, not a specific method, it's probably best to just let progress accumulate even with a change in method.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Iceclaw posted:

I'd keep it. Rationalize it by say that since they've decided it is "too durable" to force open they're still making progress by changing to a possibly easier tactic.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd keep it. Rationalize it by say that since they've decided it is "too durable" to force open they're still making progress by changing to a possibly easier tactic.

Yeah, that's what the rules seems to say. However, it bother me that despite for all intent and purpose, the group forfeit their progression by switching methods, yet it is still treated mechanically as progress. It feels a bit too much like a videogamey thing where you have to complete random tasks to fill a bar, know what I mean.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Downgrade their position then. Busting it open with tools might be controlled, but they weren't planning to switch tactics, this puts them in a risky/desperate position.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah, that's what the rules seems to say. However, it bother me that despite for all intent and purpose, the group forfeit their progression by switching methods, yet it is still treated mechanically as progress. It feels a bit too much like a videogamey thing where you have to complete random tasks to fill a bar, know what I mean.

I'd go with something similar to how Galaga Galaxian put it. I'd say keep the progress, but put them in a risky/desperate position for switching methods. All of that is just to reduce player frustration and just keep things moving without actually removing the danger. If that's too gamey for you, then do what makes sense.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Iceclaw posted:

You're assuming switching methods means starting over completely from scratch. It doesn't--not necessarily. Maybe in the case of the safe their attempted safecracking at least identified the make and model of the works inside and that gives them a lead on who to kidnap--rather than having nothing to start with than "we need someone who can open a big safe" they're starting with "we need someone who can open a Grommet and Squibb Model 500," and that gives them an advantage.

If you absolutely can't justify a way that progress on approach (a) would carry over into approach (b), then yeah, maybe abandon that clock, but you can usually find at least a semi-plausible way to transfer it over.

EDIT: Also, yeah, switching tactics on the fly is a great excuse to make their position worse, too.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, thanks for answers everyone! On another subject, is there some interest for a pbp game here on SA? I'm itching for testing the game, but it'd be hard to do so IRL for various reasons.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Harrow posted:

I could be mistaken, but I think level-1 harm is cleared right away when you take a Recover downtime action, no roll required. The recovery clock only comes in for level-2 and 3 harm..

This would actually solve a few issues (and letting the harm clock heal 2 harm at 4, and 3 harm at 8, instead of everything at 8) I cant find it in the actual rules but I could just be blind. Either way I'll be going with this, thanks!

On an unrelated note I really hope all the stretch goals are being worked on, as I really really want to see how some of them play out, namely the cyberpunk one and the dungeon crawler one (in the hopes of it being all Darkest Dungeon).

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fenarisk posted:

This would actually solve a few issues (and letting the harm clock heal 2 harm at 4, and 3 harm at 8, instead of everything at 8) I cant find it in the actual rules but I could just be blind.

It'd be on Page 31 of the Version 6 / March 2016 PDF, in the Recover box.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Iceclaw posted:

Well, thanks for answers everyone! On another subject, is there some interest for a pbp game here on SA? I'm itching for testing the game, but it'd be hard to do so IRL for various reasons.

:justpost:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Iceclaw posted:

I'd be in. I haven't looked at the rules since the first quick start, so it would be a good refresher.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

I'd be interested, the one PbP that happened here was a blast to read.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Fenarisk posted:

On an unrelated note I really hope all the stretch goals are being worked on, as I really really want to see how some of them play out, namely the cyberpunk one and the dungeon crawler one (in the hopes of it being all Darkest Dungeon).

I fully anticipate there being a hundred and one Cyberpunk hacks for this game. Hell, I started one when I was drunk one night. That said, it seems like a less bad idea than a PbtA hack (of which there are six, and, The Sprawl aside, all seem about as successful as a land war in Asia), but look forward to a mess of bad ones.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

QuantumNinja posted:

but look forward to a mess of bad [homebrew].

Said everyone about every RPG ever.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Kai Tave posted:

Said everyone about every RPG ever.

Yes, but PbtA (and now, BitD) seem particularly susceptible to terrible (and, for BitD, overwrought) game design. When you consider that BitD is all about "I DO CRIME," it almost makes me cringe to think of every Shadowrun GM who is going to try to pick the system and hack it into "Shadowrun, but with less rules, y'all."

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 12, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

QuantumNinja posted:

Yes, but PbtA (and now, BitD) seem particularly susceptible to terrible (and, for BitD, overwrought) game design.

No it isn't, don't be ridiculous. The sheer volume of terrible homebrew written for any edition of D&D you care to name dwarfs the amount of terrible *World homebrew by an order of magnitude. How many awful fanmande World of Darkness games are we up to now? All of this is discounting the dozens upon dozens of late 90's websites dedicated to converting everything under the sun into Hero and/or GURPS stats. There is nothing unique about PbtA or Blades in the Dark in this regard whatsoever except they happen to be new-ish.

e; and it's hard to make a Shadowrun hack that's worse than the actual Shadowrun system so I've never understood that reaction, oh no, someone's going to make a terrible Shadowrun game, unlike all the top quality Shadowrun RPGs out there such as

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
The complexity was never the problem with the hacks. In fact, there was a lengthy discussion in the PbtA thread was about how exactly the complexity appeal of Shadowrun is mismanaged in these hacks. It isn't a matter of system quality (if it was, Shadowrun would have lost in 2005 :v:), but a matter of replicating the player experience in a way that is faithful to both the source and target systems (Shadowrun and PbtA, respectively). Remaking Shadowrun in PbtA but including all the fiddly bits as rules is horrible and feels disingenuous to PbtA (see Sixth World), and leaving too many out doesn't quite grab the magic of the original system (see Shadowrun Apocalyse). All in all, those six or so systems still haven't managed to fill the niche experience that Shadowrun does. (As honorable mention, The Sprawl nails cyberpunk, but it leaves out the elves and magic.)

Blades in the Dark, on the other hand, probably has enough crunch to do it right; it's got just about the right number of fiddly bits. Moreover, the system exudes creativity. Focusing that creativity on Shadowrun will probably yield a system that has all of the look/feel of Shadowrun without any of the painful rules, if it's done right. And I really hope that happens, because I'd love to play more Shadowrun but I can't bring myself to actually run the Shadowrun system any more. It's just too much. The problem, though, and why I've been so negative about the impending BitD Hacks, is I've already seen four different people talk about trying to make Shadowrun Blades and Blades isn't even out yet. This suggests that, like with PbtA (which had six Shadowrun/Cyberpunk hacks as of last August and wasn't a game about committing crimes), we'll see a lot of half-brained, half-done hacks of Shadowrun-lite which miss the parts of Shadowrun that ever made it worth playing. That's pretty unfortunate!

All that said, the sheer number of PbtA SR/Cyberpunk hacks we've seen demonstrate that there's a big spot in the market right now for people who want to have the cool style, risk, minutia, etc., of Shadowrun, but don't want the crunch that comes with it. A good Blades hack could fill that gap. Unfortunately, I think it will take us three, four, five bad ones before we get there.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 12, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A couple months ago I threw together notes for Blades Among the Neon before :effort: struck. It was probably terrible, so hopefully that counts as one!

I did like the idea of having Brand-Name items instead of Fine Quality though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not that I disagree with any of that, but again, it applies to basically every RPG ever made. It took until the new World of Darkness came out that I actually found the idea of playing a game about being vampires or werewolves halfway interesting, and that was over a decade after V:tM came out. I'm still waiting on something that's Exalted But Better. Bemoaning the shoddy state of everyone's halfassed homebrew is like, welcome to the hobby friend, this is what it is.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

Yes, but PbtA (and now, BitD) seem particularly susceptible to terrible (and, for BitD, overwrought) game design. When you consider that BitD is all about "I DO CRIME," it almost makes me cringe to think of every Shadowrun GM who is going to try to pick the system and hack it into "Shadowrun, but with less rules, y'all."

I'm almost positive that the Kickstarter stretch-goal playsets included either a Cyberpunk set or a couple things that could easily be slapped together to make one go. So maybe there might be a decent-quality one out of the gate, anyway!

(Also, re: the other discussion in the thread, I could be in for a PbP game.)

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Dzurlord posted:

I'm almost positive that the Kickstarter stretch-goal playsets included either a Cyberpunk set or a couple things that could easily be slapped together to make one go. So maybe there might be a decent-quality one out of the gate, anyway!

Blades in the Dark Kickstarter posted:

UNLOCKED! ($80,000) Null Vector: Four artificial intelligences secretly rule the world. You and your crew of cyber-augmented outcasts are some of the only people who know the truth. Will you oppose the invisible masters? Will you join one of the AIs, to bring its vision for humanity to life? What will you do to change the world? Null Vector is a complete reskin of the game for cyberpunk thriller action in the vein of Ghost in the Shell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dzurlord posted:

(Also, re: the other discussion in the thread, I could be in for a PbP game.)
I want to say about half of the KS stretch goals were various officially-endorsed hacks of BITD into different genres.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

A week ago John Harper posted on kickstarter than an update is coming soon, so maybe this week or next we might see some work on the stretch goal classes (I think 3 more), as well as some new progress update to when things are finalized or ready for the printers.

Anyway, here's a big dump of the Hacks unlocked as stretch goals (I'm not including in setting ones like Ghost Lines or Blue Coats or different playsets and crews but still in the Blades setting more or less):

UNLOCKED! ($21,000) Band of Blades: A complete dark fantasy hack, Band of Blades allows you to play a small band of soldiers desperately trying to shift the tide in a war against powerful sorcerer-kings and their undead minions. By Stras Acimovic.

UNLOCKED! ($32,000) Moon Over Bourbon Street: A completely new setting for the game, plus new character and crew types. You are a thief in Crescent City, a bustling mélange of French colonials and planters, Spanish traders, American river men and adventurers, and Afro-Caribbean free men and slaves. Steamships traveling up and down the Mighty River disgorge a constant stream of valuable cargoes along with scoundrels and gamblers of every bent. But at night, the city turns dark indeed.... By Chris Bennett.

UNLOCKED ($60,000): Blades Against Darkness. Get your dungeon-crawling fix with this total reskin and new playset for the game! You are a tomb robber — desperate for coin, driven by a thirst for knowledge, on a quest for your inscrutable deity, or, perhaps, just crazy. One way or another, you’ll take almost any job that comes your way. The Gods know there is plenty of bloody work to be had in the dark passageways below the earth. drat little is honorable. Most all of it will get you killed. But you just might make it out alive... and rich. By Dylan Green.

UNLOCKED ($70,000): Sparrow's Folly. "The Central Pacific's barely built, but nonetheless shuttling folks in droves to our Great State of California, the land of goddamn milk and honey if you believe the papers. Wallowed halfway between Sacramento and the Sierras is Sparrow’s Folly, a Gold Rush shithole blessed not by lode, but by reputation. It's a haven for the forgotten, a heaven for the rich city bastards who get hard on secret sin. It ain’t on your fuckin map. It's a place where outlaws and outcasts vie for position among their own kind: highwaymen, whores, raildogs, scum. There’s a price for everything. Nobody never said it was fair.” – Ruby LaLond

UNLOCKED! ($80,000) Null Vector: Four artificial intelligences secretly rule the world. You and your crew of cyber-augmented outcasts are some of the only people who know the truth. Will you oppose the invisible masters? Will you join one of the AIs, to bring its vision for humanity to life? What will you do to change the world? Null Vector is a complete reskin of the game for cyberpunk thriller action in the vein of Ghost in the Shell.

UNLOCKED ($90,000) The Doomed: "Look, we don't have to worry about The Dark Avenger; he's in the morgue. The Hero Squadron just got their minds swapped by The Mystic Eye or whatever, who knows. What I'm saying is: nobody's around to stop one little bank robbing spree. We just keep it low key and it's us and our powers versus a bunch of beat cops. What could go wrong? " The Doomed takes Blades in the Dark to the worlds of superheroes. You'll be playing the small-time villains trying to make it big in a world where an alien invasion is just another Tuesday. New characters and crew types give you everything you need to play in the style of The Superior Foes of Spider-Man and the Giffen/DeMatteis Injustice League. By Sage Latorra (co-author of Dungeon World).

UNLOCKED (2,000 Backers) Scum and Villainy is a complete reskin of Blades in the Dark for playing Rogues, Scoundrels, Bounty Hunters and aliens of all types looking to make a credit and keep their ship flying in a Space Opera setting. Includes new character types, crews, ships and modified basic moves that encourage blaster-shooting, hoverbike chasing and other over-the-top cinematic action. By Stras Acimovic.

UNLOCKED ($115,000) Womb of Night: A black expanse stretches between the stars, whose dim light shelters the thousand colonies of humanity. Riding the star-seas between them are crews of traders, marauders, explorers and pirates - all guided by the Sisterhood, whose Navigatrix acolytes portend safe passage through the hellish storms that make up the roiling mass they call the warp-space. In Womb of Night you play brave opportunists who seek out their fortune in the void of the cosmos, preying on fat merchant ships or finding rich new worlds to exploit. Space holds riches and power beyond your dreams, if you're bold enough to take them. By Adam Koebel (co-author of Dungeon World, and GM of Swan Song. Adam knows a thing or two about tense situations in space. His primary inspirations for Womb of Night are the art of Moebius, 70s heavy metal and a heavy dose of psychedelic culture.)

UNLOCKED ($120,000): Coneycatchers: It is a universal truth that mendacity and turpitude rule England, from Bankside trugging-house doxies to poor dying Queen Elizabeth. London herself is both procuress and homicide. Her markets are home to fat country rabbits with wide eyes and gold-filled purses, and her tangled alleys are home to the hard men and women with a million ways to separate the coneys from their coin. We are rufflers, whipjacks and foists, and in the service of every vice and crime we are as noble as princes. Cross us at your peril. It is a new age and we are ambitious. Coneycatchers is a reskin of the game with new character and crew types, factions, situations, and a guide for playing in Elizabethan London. By Jason Morningstar (author of Fiasco, Durance, and Night Witches).

UNLOCKED! ($125,000): Throne of the Void "The forms must be obeyed." —The Great Convention The Interstellar Empire was unified less than a century ago by the first Imperator. Since then his iron fist has enforced the compact that binds the Empire together. But he ages, and his grip weakens. And now the churn of plans, schemes and politics begins. In this decadent world, inhuman nobles, merchant guilds and religious groups all aim to control the throne by any means necessary. You play a crew of Agents, serving a powerful faction of the Interstellar Empire vying against Agents of other factions ... and those of your own. You will be trying to move wheels-within-wheels as you play large-scale political and faction-based games in a deadly web of shifting alliances and rivalries. Throne of the Void is a complete stars-and-starships hack of Blades in the Dark and includes new character types, crews, factions, changed faction and downtime rules, plus galactic maps to the Empire itself. By Stras Acimovic.

UNLOCKED! ($150,000) P38: Blood on the Streets. “Except for the Punic Wars, I have truly been accused of every possible thing” Giulio Andreotti, Italian prime minister, 1972-1973, and 1976-1979.
Italy, the 1970s. Upstart bank robbers compete and consort with the organised crime establishment, while the public follows from the front pages of newspapers, afraid and morbidly fascinated. This, however, is only the surface. The criminal underworld traces a wide, murky network, connecting the mob, terrorism and espionage. Some want to tear down the bourgeois state and start a revolution, others are building support for an authoritarian coup. Many are just in it for profit. Everyone is involved, and no one is innocent: terrorist groups and ruling parties, idealist students and national security agents, gangsters and foreign spies.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 13, 2016

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
It's very Blades-y out of the box, but there was also this goal (which is what caught my attention and made me buy into this immediately):

($135,000) Blades of the Jhereg: The underworld of Adrilankha is ruled by a council of five ruthless bosses, known as the Right Hand of the Jhereg. You and your crew of scoundrels have been given a tiny piece of turf and are expected to impress them with your greed and opportunism. Will you rise to power in the Organization or be strangled by your ambitious rivals?

Blades of the Jhereg is an official licensed supplement for Blades in the Dark featuring the world of Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, Taltos, etc.). The playset will include the character and crew types, NPCs, factions, situations, maps, and additional rules needed to play the exploits of a Jhereg criminal enterprise in Adrinlankha. Just remember to keep an eye out for that upstart Easterner. People say he's trouble. By John Harper (with editorial oversight from Steven Brust).

I'm specifically enjoying that Brust is involved with this one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, a playtest version of the first of the Blades in the Dark Stretch Goal hacks has seen the light of day. It was posted to the public Google+ group, so I'm gonna link it here.

quote:

Here it is. Try it out. Tell me how it goes. There's lots of work left to be done, but I'm excited to get it in your hands.

I would remind anyone that this is a playable alpha . There are going to be changes and many things are still, very much, a work in progress.

That being said, I believe there is enough here for you to play the game, even if you have to fill some bits on your own.

I would love to hear how this goes for you, any questions you might have or comments.

Good luck adventurers!

Still to come:
Additional Crew Sheets
Artwork and Maps
Life-paths for the various peoples
Special Permissions and worked examples
Agartha Zones Encounters
Advanced Dungeon Design and Delving

Blades Against Darkness v1.0 Playable Alpha

And the original KS pitch/blurb:

quote:

Blades Against Darkness
Get your dungeon-crawling fix with this total reskin and new playset for the game! You are a tomb robber — desperate for coin, driven by a thirst for knowledge, on a quest for your inscrutable deity, or, perhaps, just crazy. One way or another, you’ll take almost any job that comes your way. The Gods know there is plenty of bloody work to be had in the dark passageways below the earth. drat little is honorable. Most all of it will get you killed. But you just might make it out alive... and rich. By Dylan Green.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Iceclaw posted:

VERY YES!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So, a playtest version of the first of the Blades in the Dark Stretch Goal hacks has seen the light of day. It was posted to the public Google+ group, so I'm gonna link it here.

Blades Against Darkness v1.0 Playable Alpha

One part dungeon crawling, one part spaghetti western, one part alien landscapes and magic. This hack is outright awesome. If the rest of the hacks are this nice I'll be super pumped.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Iceclaw posted:

Have you posted this yet, and if not, why the gently caress not?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Have you posted this yet, and if not, why the gently caress not?

Sorry, Real Life just took a big dump on my family at a time we were kind of already busy :ohdear: . If anyone want to take it from me right now, go ahead, else, Sorry again but I'll have to sort things out first.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well I am hopefully going to be running a game of this in real life this coming Thursday, so heres hoping it goes well.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'd be really interested in playing as I really liked BitD but haven't done PbP before. Would you guys be up for letting me join?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
No guarantees but maybe in the next week or so I might put up a Blades PbP? Work's kicking my rear end and I still need to grok the rules, but I have some ideas I'd like to try out.