Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Yeah I find tables like that help real well for people who aren't as familiar with the whole postion/effect setup.

I used one for Band of Blades (which kind of changes up how harm works to also factor in enemy threat level). I had 3d printed a dagger with a base on it to "stab" it into the position/effect we're at with the current action roll being negotiated. Sometimes players seeing the current layout might look at their sheet and say "oh I've got some blackshot" or some other tool that might help push the position or effect more in their favor so then I would shift the dagger to the new position. Though I was worried that having a sheet highlighting all of the factors involved might reduce my table's creativity when it came to solving problems that the suggestions on the sheet wouldn't factor in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Macdoo posted:

My main inspirations when trying to suss out this stuff were these podcasts (all great podcasts covering real modern gangland stuff):
Gangster
Underworld
Crime World
Lords of Soccer (focused on the FIFA corruption but was great for seeing what a big institutional grift looks like)

I was looking for resources like this. Thanks for posting them.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Very basic rules question after one session: do players roll with their stats during free play, like outside of a score? I'm trying to run a Girl By Moonlight game and a player is confident you don't, that it's all fortune rolls, nothing that uses position or effect or devil's bargains or anything. How is that meant to work, and why?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In general i think the players right, because it happens in indeterminate between score time? Idk if there are any hard rules against it though

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I haven't played Girl By Moonlight, but the downtime rules are about the same right? So if a situation comes up that requires a roll it's just like any other roll. For example, I was playing in a Copperhead County game and during downtime my character got confronted by two guys trying to intimidate him. I dealt with it by stabbing one of them in the shoulder to intimidate both of them and it was just like a roll for doing something in a score - position/effect, devil's bargain etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Downtime actions and Gathering Information rolls do not use position/effect/pushing/etc, but they also don't have consequences beyond not ticking a clock/getting less information (at least in base BitD). You still use an appropriate stat for an action. If something came up that potentially could harm a PC I would still do a normal action roll even if its during downtime.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There are no hard and fast rules but you mostly shouldn't be rolling full action rules in downtime because downtime actions specifically don't ask for them. They're supposed to be one-and-done rolls with all their consequences wrapped into the downtime action itself, whereas once you add position and effect you're potentially making multiple rolls with various side effects.

If you find yourself feeling like your downtime requires the granularity of full action rules, that probably means you've exited downtime and need to think about how this feeds into your next score. Spending too much time on downtime could be a sign that your players are still stuck in the overplanning mode of non-Forged games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It helps to think of downtime as "what did your characters do between sessions" as the game naturally flows well and is designed for that kind of approach. Downtime is inherently a time skip, not a roleplay phase, and the more you lean towards the latter the slower and less successful the system will be because you have to try and fit the non-downtime mechanics to it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

also from a purely mechanical standpoint adding injury or stress consequences to downtime actions will absolutely gently caress the player economy of the game. They need those actions to fix the bad poo poo that happened to them during the mission phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ragnar34 posted:

Very basic rules question after one session: do players roll with their stats during free play, like outside of a score? I'm trying to run a Girl By Moonlight game and a player is confident you don't, that it's all fortune rolls, nothing that uses position or effect or devil's bargains or anything. How is that meant to work, and why?

Girl By Moonlight doesn't have a free-play phase. The cadence goes downtime - mission - fallout - obligation. Obligation is just a little elision over ordinary life, where you resist with your worst attribute because even if the world isn't a gently caress it won't stop loving with you.

Downtime activities don't use action rolls and don't have position or effect, any more than stress rolls have position or effect. They also don't allow you to push yourself or bite down on a poisoned promise (the local equivalent of the devil's bargain) since those are action roll mechanics. Downtime actions do, however, make use of your stats to get things done. Deliberately pushing to gather information during the downtime phase uses a stat, unlike when you might want information during a mission but then it's just a fortune roll to see what you already know.

The limit on downtime actions is: you only get so many. And you need to use some collectively to keep up the investigation pressure, otherwise you'll constantly be blundering into situations you don't understand. Rolling poorly on a downtime action means losing the chance to do something before the next mission happens.