Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
We're finally getting the version 7 update this weekend according to the Google Plus group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jesus Christ that took long enough!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I dunno that I would wait to start a game at this point. The core rules aren't likely to change -- most of what's being worked on are setting details.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

admanb posted:

I dunno that I would wait to start a game at this point. The core rules aren't likely to change -- most of what's being worked on are setting details.

I hope that's true. I'm not the guy I quoted from G+, but I just printed a ton of character sheets with character creation rules on the back.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
He already said the rules were finalized. If there's any changes I'd expect minor tweaks there. At this point the work on the core book is related to layout, fluff writing, and graphics afaik. Plus some work on the stretch goal hacks/supplements he's directly involved in.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

There's a new version of the PDF out to backers. It features some small changes to the classes, an overhaul to crews' hunting grounds (which I'm excited about, my group couldn't stand them as they were originally implemented), and a ton of lore/setting stuff. This is getting a lot closer to being a game I'd actually want to run a campaign with.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah, this is the first PDF that shows it's pretty near completion other than some setting stuff (which this update added about 500%). There was a slight tweak I may have missed from v6 too, in that you can only start with a max of 2 dots in traits but can go up to 3 for advancements right out of the gate. Previously you couldn't go to 3 or 4 without the crew's mastery training, so that's a nice touch with advancement being on a bit more of a gradual curve until you want to hit 4 dots in a trait (which is a pretty huge end game goal/power spike anyway, rolling 4 dice for actions is almost assuredly always at least a mild success, with a lot of chances for critical successes and increased effects).

I'm liking it more and more with these additions and for once the game is, in my opinion, in a fully playable state with the classes and crews completed and finalized and a good balance of how things work in the system. There's even some options for extra downtime on your own turf when starting out for the first few sessions and onward as you expand your turf, since only 2 downtime actions can be a little limiting if the players get unlucky and take some harm. I'm also excited because there's a blank playbook in here, and I might start working on a cyberpunk hack soon if I can run this and see how everything plays out.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I've flipped through v7, and it seems basically like what I'd expect from the end product (having played maybe 12 sessions at this point). It's cleaner, it seems fun, the health system is still a mess, and the magic looks roughly in-theme. That said, the magic rules are a bit troubling: first, there are a lot, and second, they seem powerful relative to other characters' abilities. I'm not sure how it manifests in play, but the risks for magnitude and alchemical prep seem negligible when compared to the potential effects.

I also wish Finesse covered lockpicking because, as written, the Lurk's bad at their job.

(Oh, and the district art looks like it was made in MS paint.)

In related news, I finally picked up a copy of Lies of Locke Lamora, and I'm sort of flabbergasted at how much of it John Harper stole whole-sale for BitD's setting. He obviously added most of the magic-y stuff (eg vampires, ghosts, leviathans), but everything from bustling canals to the city map to naming conventions seem like cribs of a book written ten years ago. I wish he had just gotten the license, because the game would be cooler without the serial numbers filed off.

Fenarisk posted:

I'm also excited because there's a blank playbook in here, and I might start working on a cyberpunk hack soon if I can run this and see how everything plays out.

If you do this, please change the health system.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2016

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

What do you want to see out of the health system? It seems to me that the whole point of it is that anything that actually hurts you should be Bad -- your actual health pool is your Stress.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I want a system that doesn't require 7 steps any time you might take physical harm.

e: The v2-v3 quickstart rules just used stress for harm, so you took harm (with armor option), made the resistance roll, and marked stress, the end. Which, incidentally, is exactly how every other action in the game works.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 16, 2016

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I guess nothing about that actually seems complicated to me. Every consequence in Blades uses the same mechanic: take the effect or roll to resist. The only thing special about harm is the three levels and Recovery.

Rolling to resist is the weirdest mechanic in Blades, but it pays off in how important it is to the fiction. The idea that your characters are such badasses they can resist the negative effects of almost anything except what it does to their sanity.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

QuantumNinja posted:

If you do this, please change the health system.

Honestly I don't find it so bad. Harm doesn't come up as often as stress, and even if it does there's barely any steps. Either let armor soak it (which for most characters is once or twice per session anyway), or roll to resist, which the roll resulst gives you how much stress you take instead. Sometimes (again, maybe every few sessions), you take enough stress to wipe it all out and take a permament Trauma. Bam, that's it, it's more like 2 steps.

Edit: The nice thing for cyberpunk/shadowrun hacking is that the only thing that needs to be done is renaming some of the skills and some of the items, and some flavor text changes for the crews. Everything else is perfectly baked into the system as is.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 16, 2016

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

admanb posted:

I guess nothing about that actually seems complicated to me.

My beef is two-fold: one, it's jarringly complicated in comparison to the other rules, and two, it's a brutal, secondary quasi-economy that seems out to get the players without much real benefit to the narrative or the mechanics of the game. There is already a stress and trauma system in place, with a nice economy of usage, penalty, and recovery. But we also need apparently a second quasi-economy of penalty and recovery that explicitly applies to physical harm for some reason. Which could be cool, except that it's a sub-par mechanic with a lousy economy.

First, on the topic of the mechanic: what does Harm really do? It decouple PCs' physical and mental well-being, and it accounts for the former separately. This has some advantages1:
  1. It fixes the narrative mess that comes sometimes with resisting Consequences: when Stress is used as HP, resisting Consequences can lead to weird situations where, eg, you're taking harm to avoid a worse position---and it could be argued that getting harmed is a worse position.
  2. It gives players a second tracker to play with when they're trying to accomplish a goal. For example, the GM might say, "Seems risky to get all the way there, and it's not going to be effective..." and the Player might reply, "Well, if I run along the wall and risk falling and hurting myself, will that be more effective?" Decoupling physical harm from stress gives players more freedom to sort of 'choose their risks': are they going to risk Trauma, or -1D any time it comes up in the future?
  3. It gives the GM later 'gotchas' for characters, which basically serve as infinite free invokes on a FATE Aspect, except those free invokes are basically just ways to cost you stress later down the line.
  4. Arguably (and, IIRC, the reason Harper cited for adding it to begin with), it allows players narrative reminders ("Yeah, I got stabbed, it says it right here!"). They get to write down "Knife Wound", and that's written on the sheet to play it up and remind them what's going on in the world.
Unfortunately, I don't think that the first reason is a huge problem, and it's easy to describe stress as physical and situations as not-worse even in spite of the harm. Besides, stress is already an accounting measure that deserves some narrative lip-service, so it seems fine to keep it all together in one places. The second is okay, but it suggests that Harper found problems with the Stress economy that he was trying to patch, and complicating the game with a secondary track doesn't seem like the best way to fix any potential problem. The third reason seems nice on the surface, but it's pretty brutal when it manifests in play (to the point of forcing the GM to pull punches), and it basically converts Health damage into full-on Stress/Complications generators, so why not skip a step and some book-keeping? Maybe that one would be more palatable if the harm was fixed instead of GM fiat. The fourth reason is dumb, full stop. Apoc World gets that that done, all fine, without any of this.

Now, onto the lousy economy: a player is allowed to Resist any Consequence, and they do that by rolling the relevant dice below the line in their sheet. They take the highest of these dice and subtract it from 6, taking the difference as stress. Now, if you roll two dice to soak this, you've got a 75% chance of taking 3 or less stress and a 55.56% chance of taking 2 or less. (For one dice, that's 50% and 33.33%.) Since it costs two stress to gain a die (via Push Yourself), and 2-harm can cost you a die (and 3-harm costs you 2 stress for EVERY action), the penalties in the Harm economy basically demand that you try to Resist2. And even if you do, it's still a brutal punishment for flubbing the action roll (because, let's be real, reduced effect or extra time is a lot better than reduced effect every time you try to do something with your left hand). Oh, and did I mention that all of this sticks around until you perform 3-4 downtime actions!

So, for some reason, unlike the other Consequences and sub-systems, Harm is this double-double bad Consequence that you really want to blow Stress on and that screws you over even when you do (well, maybe, since, again, the GM gets total fiat). It complicates the game, it brutalizes the players, and it puts a lot of weird power in the GM's hands. At best, it's sloppy design. At worst, it's a hatch into poo poo-GM power tripping. And, while many people here have said it isn't that complicated during play, none of them have indicate that it feels like a necessary or good mechanic.

Footnotes:
1. If I'm missing some other awesome thing it adds, mechanically or narratively, please point it out. If I'm missing something about what the Health track adds, I want to know---I want to be wrong about how unnecessary this overcomplicated mechanic is.
2. At 3 dice, you have a 42% chance of taking no stress and reducing the harm. At four dice, that's 51%.

Fenarisk posted:

roll to resist, which the roll resulst gives you how much stress you take instead

That's wrong. The Quickstart guide explicitly reads (p11) "Usually, a resistance roll will reduce the severity of a consequence. If you're going to suffer fatal harm, for example, a resistance roll would reduce the harm to severe, instead. The GM also has the option to rule that a given resistance roll allows a character to completely avoid a consequence." You're supposed to drop the Harm a level and then make 'em eat the Stress. (Well, it depends---how benevolent of a GM are you?)

Fenarisk posted:

The nice thing for cyberpunk/shadowrun hacking is that the only thing that needs to be done is renaming some of the skills and some of the items, and some flavor text changes for the crews. Everything else is perfectly baked into the system as is.

How are you planning to roll the cyberware?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 16, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cyberware should just be part of playbook moves IMO. Though I guess that comes with the narrative problem of how they were obtained. I dunno.

One thing I know for sure is that there should not be Fine [item]s there should be Brand-Name [Item]s with the player making up the exact name. Its not just a deck, its an Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7, its not just a pistol, its an Ares Predator. Cyberpunk loves its consumer fetishism.

[edit] Started reading the latest version. Man, my group has played through them all to the point where I can't keep all the changes straight anymore. It all blurs together in my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2016

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ok so for harm, would you scrap it entirely and just add more stress points? Would you still let players roll to resist and instead just taking that much less stress?

Edit: this doesn't leave out much steps but I would personally say stress is equal to harm one for one, with any remaining eaten as stress as far away as it is from six. You roll for resistance and each point you get on the die cancels out harm first, then stress. Say you've got a nasty 3 harm attack coming in, and on the resistance roll you get a 3. You'd avoid the 3 harm entirely and just take 3 stress (6-3). On a 5 you'd take 1 stress (6-5). On a Crit you still actually end up healing one stress. I'm not convinced it's easier though, just spit balling.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 16, 2016

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cyberware should just be part of playbook moves IMO. Though I guess that comes with the narrative problem of how they were obtained. I dunno.

Maybe you could do it like Heritage, but call it Ware? So it gives you the bonus. Then a move might be Chromed. Pick two more 'wares from the list.

Fenarisk posted:

Ok so for harm, would you scrap it entirely and just add more stress points? Would you still let players roll to resist and instead just taking that much less stress?

Edit: this doesn't leave out much steps but I would personally say stress is equal to harm one for one, with any remaining eaten as stress as far away as it is from six. You roll for resistance and each point you get on the die cancels out harm first, then stress. Say you've got a nasty 3 harm attack coming in, and on the resistance roll you get a 3. You'd avoid the 3 harm entirely and just take 3 stress (6-3). On a 5 you'd take 1 stress (6-5). On a Crit you still actually end up healing one stress. I'm not convinced it's easier though, just spit balling.

v2 BitD did it as individual clocks on your sheet: Winded would be a 2-tick clock, Knife Wound would be 4-tick. You had to heal those during downtime with healing actions. I could see doing something like that, but using smaller clocks and treating them as invoke trackers to avoid the 'infinitely-invokable FATE Aspects': if it comes up that your knife wound is causing you trouble, that clears a tick off, too. That doesn't make as much narrative sense, but it relieves a lot of mechanical pressure for burning downtime on healing. So you might be winded, but it'll pass, and you might have a wound that sucks now, but by the next job you're good to go.

Another decent system might be to have three tiers like FATE, a la "Scene, Job, Downtime" or something, where Scene wounds go at the end of a scene, Job at the end of a job, and Downtime as an explicit Downtime action. Then the GM can take them however, and the player can make a conscious decision to risk his floating his Broken Leg instead of spending Downtime on it. It becomes a gamble, and that feels pretty Blades-y to me.

I guess my main goal here is to get the PCs back up to task faster. I mean, PCs already have a hard game-over clock of 4 Trauma, so why introduce a second game over condition here? Also, it isn't much fun as a player to show up to a session with four Harm boxes filled in and a half-done Healing clock, trying to figure out how you're going to survive the job.

Your edit also seems like a good system. You may want to bump the Stress track a little if you do that, though.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Personally in my own games three harm would be like a once or twice per campaign thing, I would mostly just dish out 1 harm 75% of the time anyway, with some 2 harm threats once or twice a session. And yes, I would absolutely make the two 1 harm boxes go away automatically during downtime. I think that coupled with my edit would make for a pretty good balance, especially since taking the risk of 1 harm and -1d would be an actual solid option instead of possibly taking no harm but taking more stress if stress is getting filled up.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

QuantumNinja posted:

In related news, I finally picked up a copy of Lies of Locke Lamora, and I'm sort of flabbergasted at how much of it John Harper stole whole-sale for BitD's setting. He obviously added most of the magic-y stuff (eg vampires, ghosts, leviathans), but everything from bustling canals to the city map to naming conventions seem like cribs of a book written ten years ago. I wish he had just gotten the license, because the game would be cooler without the serial numbers filed off.

I'll have to check out Lies of Locke Lamora. BITD clearly cribs a lot from Dishonored, but I can't say how much Dishonored takes from LoLL.
Leviathans seem to be taken straight from Dishonored, except John Harper had them in Lady Blackbird (which predates Dishonored by a year).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The game is cooler with the serial numbers filed off, rather than being tied to an existing setting.

e; vv exactly.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 16, 2016

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The game is cooler with the serial numbers filed off, rather than being tied to an existing setting.

Plus it's a pretty equal Dishonoured/Locke Lamora/Vlad Tlatos mix, so if it still had serial numbers it'd lose at least one of the interesting things in the mix.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
There's a lot of Locke Lamora in it, but that's partly because that series has a lot of Taltos and Dishonored in it. And a fair bit of Fritz Leiber. I like the Lamora series but the setting for it is pretty clearly not!Renaissance Europe and hardly totally original, so any game in a similar world is going to look like it. That's not a hit on the series - it adds enough unique elements to be compelling. Let's not pretend it's a totally unprecedented and wholly unique world though.

Besides, there's a lot of games with similarly direct setting cribs (Eclipse Phase is the Takeshi Kovacs setting with extra bits, even original D&D is equal parts Vance and Leiber with a bit of Howard and Moorcock spackled onto it).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hey there guys, I am doing a recruit for a Blades in the Dark campaign and thought people might be interested!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787297

Also I am kind of thinking of if you could do a hack to model Railos from Glorantha into the BitD format.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Email and update just sent out, seems Evil Hat will be doing the publishing, and an update on the status of book sections got updated as well. Things are coming along but the new goal for the PDF to at least be done is now December :smith:

Also half the hacks aren't even started or at only 1 dot out of 4, so that's not very encouraging either.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Part of the update asked that backers keep the news under wraps until the 13th.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, but its not like people were gonna keep mum about that anyways.

And I wasn't really expecting most of the hacks to be ready by launch, personally. Kind of need a finished game to do a hack of it (granted the mechanics have basically been solidified now).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't think I've contributed to a game kickstarter before that offered full rule hacks as part of stretch goals but is it normal to expect the hacks to be ready at the launch of the primary rulebook?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nope, highly unlikely they would be. If they're from the author that's just delaying the main book for no good reason (assuming it's not held up in outsourced stuff: editing, layout, printing, etc).

From other people... Unlikely since they're gonna wanna wait for a lot of stuff until it's officially Done so they don't waste time on something that gets totally changed from feedback or whatever.

Not that it can't happen, and I'm sure it has, but I just wouldn't expect it at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I just went and checked the kickstarter and I see that three out of sixteen of the hacks have 3/4 dots and one of those is the neato-sounding one that's set in not-antebellum New Orleans so I'm content

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I just went and checked the kickstarter and I see that three out of sixteen of the hacks have 3/4 dots and one of those is the neato-sounding one that's set in not-antebellum New Orleans so I'm content

Yeah a few have been plugging away posting some betas of rules on the G+ page, they actually seem pretty good so far, not sure if John Harper has any quality control on them but so far so good.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

SilverMike posted:

It'd be on Page 31 of the Version 6 / March 2016 PDF, in the Recover box.

That... is not in the rules for healing, which is mildy obnoxious.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Finally got to do our first heist today, but uh things didn't turn out so good for my crimeboys. 75% of the boners were on their side but I have a couple questions.
Clocks are hard for me to wrap my head around. What sort of things should I be tracking?
How do I encourage my players to flashback more?
edit: BOY those healing checks out of session are ROUGH when you're on your first mission. I know the point is encourage swapping out characters and playing other gangstars but those rules aren't great. There are a lot of good ideas in this game but a lot of weird book keeping stuff that don't really jive too nice.

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 24, 2016

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ominous Jazz posted:

Finally got to do our first heist today, but uh things didn't turn out so good for my crimeboys. 75% of the boners were on their side but I have a couple questions.
Clocks are hard for me to wrap my head around. What sort of things should I be tracking?

Consequences -- the Bluecoats arrive after X ticks of this box. Difficult obstacles -- the master swordsman won't be defeated with just one skirmish roll. Objectives -- you've cleaned out the lockbox, but the Red Sashes boss told you not to bother coming back with a pittance.

Basically, if it doesn't make sense for something to be resolved with a single roll, make a clock for it.

quote:

How do I encourage my players to flashback more?

I know right? I just try and keep it in their head -- when we talk about background scenes in downtime I bring up moments that would make good fodder for flashbacks, when we approach the planning stage I remind them not to over-plan because of flashbacks, when they ask something like "is there a good escape route from this room?" I say there might be, but with a flashback there definitely would be

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like the Scum & Villainy hack of the game is done, plus a Vigilantes add-on for the base game and a bunch of other bonus material to expand the world.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Scum & Villany seems a bit uninspired. I wish it was more, or less, or maybe just vaguer. Blades in the Dark does a good job of establishing a setting, but I hope the other hacks don't follow that suit.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I made this thing the other day. Don't really have time to work on it any more deeply at the moment though.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

QuantumNinja posted:

Scum & Villany seems a bit uninspired. I wish it was more, or less, or maybe just vaguer. Blades in the Dark does a good job of establishing a setting, but I hope the other hacks don't follow that suit.

Other than some of the skill names ("Doctor"? Really? Why not Medical or something), I do kind of like the hack, although the moves suffer from the same basic bonus stuff rather than narrative stuff. The added gambit thing is cool. I know it's still beta so some small tweaks may happen, which I hope adds some ships or ship options beyond just the one. It is very much a reskin, I think it's pretty vague as is (doesn't mention alien races specifically, doesn't go into the universe/sector, etc).

I think it's perfectly serviceable to start a firefly game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Call me when the cyberpunk hack actually exists. That's the one I'm really excited for.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Over on the g+ community, John posted the revisions he made to the engagement roll, which look like he cleaned them up a bit. The extra examples also really help, I think.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I like the new system a lot, but feel it should move from crew's tier = base # of dice to difference between crew's tier and target's tier = base # of dice. It makes sense that a brand new crew would always be in desperate positions, but that's because everyone else is so much stronger than them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

admanb posted:

I like the new system a lot, but feel it should move from crew's tier = base # of dice to difference between crew's tier and target's tier = base # of dice. It makes sense that a brand new crew would always be in desperate positions, but that's because everyone else is so much stronger than them!
What you're describing is a more complicated method to achieve functionally nearly identical results.