Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think i find myself really preferring the things Blades does in the context of something like Band of Blades where the GM can really hammer people with consequences without knocking people out of the game since you'll be playing different people next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Coolness Averted posted:

The actual bigger problem I noticed is I have 2 very risk adverse players, who specifically want the illusion of high risk/high reward, but never want there to be actual risk. They're both playing scoundrels and have taken the abilities that let them stack the deck on desperate rolls.
The failed roll was not only from one of them, but they traded position for effect, so it was 100% self inflicted. The one who rolled isn't happy because they feel forced to resist the roll and risk a 1 in 6 chance of traumaing out -after they spent the session buying extra dice for bigger pools.

I think blades reaaallly struggles if people are risk-averse. The fun of the game is in the consequences and the things coming from the consequences. If you're not able to roll with that kind of thing, they'd probably be more up for a different kind of game.

(though honestly even in things like gurps i find risk-averse players to be a chore to try to DM for).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm also very late to this but I do like this idea as well as removing campaign action restrictions based on morale (and changing it with some other mechanical difference).

It was very difficult as a GM to really hammer home the "War is hell, people are gonna die" part when every single individual rookie death is so mechanically devastating. It's easy enough to replace them with new rookies but the actual morale loss is enough to sink the whole campaign. Even just losing a couple soldiers in a mission would be enough to lead to a morale/stress spiral that they would be hard pressed to get out of, especially if they dipped low enough to lose out on campaign actions altogether.

Other than that though I absolutely loved the setting and the other mechanical bits and bobs. I would just definitely look for an alternative to how morale works for sure.

Yeah, as a player in said campaign, i definitely felt like it took a while to get into killing people at the rate we really needed to. I felt like the legion in general needed more resources to allocate, and opportunities to get odds and ends.

I think there's something to be said for adding some mechanic to give a random thing going into each stop on the journey, or an opportunity to get random things without spending campaign actions.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Part of the thing about the game of Band of Blades we played in was yeah we needed to be more willing to kill characters and have that be harm but then the game would've needed a campaign morale mechanic that wouldn't death spiral if that happened (this is a military unit, some losses should happen).

The thing about Band is, it tends toward things where Skirmish is just the best option, so you end up trying to play to the characters' strength which is skirmishing. I imagine in a different situation the DM really needs to punish fishing out your best skill in every situation by playing around with the positioning.

Coolness Averted posted:

I've never heard of people who 'got' the game who were too afraid of trauma, the only people I've had trouble with are folks who aren't used to narrative games, so try to play to win, or who really want more of a strategic game and get disappointed that the system isn't built to reward player cleverness the way they expect.

Yeah, i find the latter is a more common type of player.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
When you prep a Forged game, the key aspect of prep is coming up with details, names, etc. It's not really about carefully defining every aspect of the situation, but making sure you have names of everything, you know the context of what's going on, etc. You can improv a lot, but focus your prep on things that aren't easy to make up on the spot.