Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Demon_Corsair posted:

Since I'm still struggling, what would you do if your players were trying to find a way to sneak into a building, and rolled a 1 looking for ways in?

Nothing at all. ABF is the advice I've given so far.

"Place looks tight as a drum, nobody in, nobody out. Which makes no loving sense, people have to eat somehow. Maybe you'll have better luck leaning on their suppliers?"

In other words, go make a roll somewhere else, possibly involving some element of risk other than just gathering information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SkySteak posted:

Just posting here as I realized that I'm asking questions in the TG Chat far more relevant for this own thread! I was told that the spin off for BiTD, Scum & Villainy can be essentially standalone to the original BiTD book. Would it be wise however to attempt to run a game of S&V without having touched BiTD itself? Part of me feels like just skipping the original book is potentially risking skipping a lot of context and understanding, but perhaps I am wrong!

spectralent posted:

It's its own game and line using the same core mechanics. You're no more missing out on BITD than you would be missing out on Apocalypse World by playing The Sprawl or something.

Ehhhhh.

The thing with a lot of post-AW games is that their creators have often internalized a lot of things AW is more explicit about; for example, how to adjudicate moves or pace GMing and present threats. So much so that their follow-on hacks include the complete mechanical rules but don't really include that information to the level of detail a newbie would need to run them full AW-style.

I can report that Scum and Villany is fine standalone, there's plenty of advice for how to GM, largely because there's a whole bunch of new skills and scenarios to GM for.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wrr posted:

I was thinking maybe the moon could get weirder for a while and that is how they started marking the Spring Equinox..

"The" moon? Someone's forgotten about her dimmer sisters.

Anyway, Frostbreak Moonwatch and Tidefrost Moonwatch are the two times when they line up perfectly with the moon proper and everyone crowds the rooftops to watch the spectacle.

Or maybe it's because of the rumors that the alignment pulls at something in the dead, and in the handful of minutes that everything lines up perfectly, every dead thing surges from its unquiet rest into a fugue of blind revenge.

(Or maybe it's just that the tide sweeps in freakishly strong and flushes all the corpses from the less-ably chosen hiding places.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

lummawks posted:

Ran my first game of Blades (after having wanted to play it for like 2 years) and it went pretty well. Just need to tweak some of the obstacles and consequences cause they breezed through their first score almost without a hitch (except for when the tinker left a bomb in the strongbox they had looted because "it's about sending a message"). They loved pushing themselves for extra dice, doing flashbacks and resisting consequences, I don't think anyone ended with less than 6 stress. It was all of ours first time playing Blades (normally we play Pathfinder), and my first time GMing a game since like playing D&D with 2 other friends 20 years ago and that was like "ok heres a bunch of orcs in a room let's fight now". I was happy to see in our group chat the next day 2 of the players wrote "that was super fun when do we play again?!" :3:

Quick question about Downtime activities and contacts, can PCs use friends of other PCs? For example if our Cutter has a physicker as a friend, can the Whisper use that contact to heal up? In the moment I said no probably not cause I couldn't find anything in the rules about it, but I also houseruled that she didn't need a physicker to recover her lvl 1 harm "Drained" and just said you don't need a physicker for that, you just rest up a bit and spend 1 downtime activity recovering.

Contacts are actually for the gang as a whole - PCs just have friends and rivals. A gang contact is willing to work with the gang, but a friend isn't just going to give for free (the contact has the gang's quality, but what's a friend?) - I'd treat it as a bonus to the acquire asset roll, which will secure treatment for everyone during downtime.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 18, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

lummawks posted:

Also is it possible to do a flashback for something that requires a Downtime Action? Our Lurk wanted to flashback to say "I brought 2 shadow vials instead of 1" and I ruled that getting an extra shadow vial would require an Acquire Asset, but they had used all their Downtime Actions before the score (and didn't want to spend Coin or Rep for it). Or should it just be a lot of stress to do that?

Yes, you can flashback to a downtime action, but it also retroactively costs you Coin or Rep instead of Stress.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LawfulWaffle posted:

Ran our second session and I walked away with a question I probably should have sought the answer to first. These first two sessions have been my attempt at tutorializing the game, giving them more scripted (but not overly so) situations to navigate the way Blades is different from Savage Worlds or D&D. This session I wanted them to expand their territory and get a better understanding of how the crew sheet feeds into the players' options and rewards. I expected it to be super quick, a simple four clock to roll a few actions and flesh out their characters but, in my opinion, the crew kept overthinking the situation and trying to turn what I imagined as a simple assault into a stealth mission. And I know that I should let the characters drive the story but wanted to emphasize that this wasn't a score that could be solved non-violently which may have been my mistake. Things took longer than expected and I had hoped to at least get started on a more detailed mission but didn't get the chance.

Anyway, the real question I wanted to ask was how does your group handle the turf/territory expansion? Do you make them as elaborate as any other score, or do you truncate them and spend more focus on "bigger picture" scores? The way I've been handling scores is just to jot down some high level notes and improvise the rest, but I did even less with the territory expansion ideas that I expected them to pick, which they deftly avoided. I think that led to a less satisfying session than the first one, but next session I will pivot back to more planned scores that are designed to be more than a four clock.

If you want to portray something as "an assault on the last hardpoint in this territory" led up to by various choices in other missions that weakened the other gang, well, the difference between an assault score and a stealth score is that assault needs a point of attack and stealth needs a point of inflitration. If it's really the last hardpoint in the territory, you can push back with "it's the last hardpoint in the territory. They're all crammed in there and paranoid as all getout. There is no obvious infiltration point. What are you planning to do with stealth?"

And, I mean, if they have a really good idea for a risky as hell score that involves precision infiltration to hang up a giant "You are not safe here. Love and kisses, the PCs" banner in some central gathering point and send everyone running, that's amazing and also like 95% desperate positions but if that's your bag then go for it buddy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There is a Slide or Spider special ability that lets you do it though, and then modify up or down 1 the stress amount relieved. It's an incredible special ability. I think it's called Functioning Vice?

E:

Actually, from Functioning Vice's wording, I'm pretty sure assisting with someone else's vice is fine even without it. Maybe not assist, but share the downtime action at least.

No, that's not assisting with the vice (in the way that you could assist with any other action roll), they're just talking about multiple people taking the Indulge Vice action to do the same thing, and if you have the ability you're basically the tour guide to the (color)-light district and can get everybody the good time they need. Without that ability it doesn't matter how many people do the vice together, they're all just unregulatedly self-medicating.

(though as it is a downtime action, you can still mark coin to tweak a bad roll up to a good number)

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ragnar34 posted:

Very basic rules question after one session: do players roll with their stats during free play, like outside of a score? I'm trying to run a Girl By Moonlight game and a player is confident you don't, that it's all fortune rolls, nothing that uses position or effect or devil's bargains or anything. How is that meant to work, and why?

Girl By Moonlight doesn't have a free-play phase. The cadence goes downtime - mission - fallout - obligation. Obligation is just a little elision over ordinary life, where you resist with your worst attribute because even if the world isn't a gently caress it won't stop loving with you.

Downtime activities don't use action rolls and don't have position or effect, any more than stress rolls have position or effect. They also don't allow you to push yourself or bite down on a poisoned promise (the local equivalent of the devil's bargain) since those are action roll mechanics. Downtime actions do, however, make use of your stats to get things done. Deliberately pushing to gather information during the downtime phase uses a stat, unlike when you might want information during a mission but then it's just a fortune roll to see what you already know.

The limit on downtime actions is: you only get so many. And you need to use some collectively to keep up the investigation pressure, otherwise you'll constantly be blundering into situations you don't understand. Rolling poorly on a downtime action means losing the chance to do something before the next mission happens.