Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If I want both a physical book and a PDF, what are my options now? DriveThruRPG has the PDF, and the link from Evilhat for 'Buy Now' links to Backerkit for a physical book but I don't know what, if anything, that will get me since preorders closed a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Willing to put good money on the fact that there's some other aspects of your question that I'm unaware of, but CSI has a pre-order link up on their site that's still accepting orders. No idea whether/when they'll get copies, but I think they're typically pretty good about shutting down pre-orders once they've allocated all that they expect to get?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/239295

This is how I'm hoping to get my copy anyway.

I'm not seeing that as a print+pdf combo though, which is ideally what I'd like. If I couldn't get a combo I'd probably just get a PDF.

Guess I shoulda been a backer!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Theory: Blades in the Dark does not require much hacking at all to be a more darkly-themed Persona 5.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I bit the bullet and got the PDF and the game seems pretty cool, but something that seems kind of impressive is that following the Cataclysm, the society as presented actually managed not just to survive, but to actually grow and somewhat advance. Even with the potential of building more lightning towers outwards to expand.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real silly is John Harper being sick and saying "sorry guys bladesinthedark.com isn't ready yet" but just leaving it unreachable instead of putting up a basic "under construction" page.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I ran this game for the first time and it was good and everyone had a good time.

I was worried about making sure I made the first heist 'long enough' before the game, but since everyone was knew I just softballed the consequences (e.g. "failing the roll to break in, you end up sprawled on the floor in a desperate position" rather than "failing the roll to break in, you end up impaled on multiple glass shards") and it all pretty much came together.

I did kind of 'overpower' the Whisper in the party, although I let it slide for that session. They managed to summon and compel a ghost, and I didn't really have a way for the target, the Red Sashes in a hidden house, to have a way to deal with the ghost rampaging through them. I started a countdown clock for 'ghost hunters arrive', but they managed to get out before that ended up filling up.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Shockeh posted:

Thanks, bought it from Aetherworks (That postage, oof.)

Next step - Finding out if there's any way to gather a group for it in Brisbane!

I apparently bought the lone copy of it in Melbourne when there was a sale on.

(Melbourne only has like two stores that sell anything beyond DnD, Pathfinder and Star Wars RPGwise, and they're both the same company)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do you handle failures in flashbacks? Are the PC's out the stress and possibly out of luck on the flashback? Can they take injuries in the flashback that retroactively apply to the job?

You're still out the stress, but if an injury happens it shouldn't be retroactive, it should be as a consequence of the flashback failure.

so e.g. if you flashback to bribe some guards, failure isn't "they say no and punch you", it's "they take your money, but surprise they lied and they're here now and they punch you".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Demon_Corsair posted:

Flipping through this as I ponder doing a write up for Fatal and Friends and I came across the prison sheet and rules for incarceration. And it struck me as not a really interesting or a useful addition. Another sheet to manage but the player has to sit out or roll a new character for the time they are locked up.

Does anyone use it they way it was written or have people come up with better ways to reduce wanted levels?

I think the game is kind of set up that you start rolling up more characters over time to switch in and out, since naturally you're expected to trauma-out some of them over time anyway. So you might introduce in the story some new character anyway when someone is in jail, or needs some extra time to recover, and whatnot. The 'crew' as a whole is the focus, not any individual character.

The balancing feature to "why don't I roll a new character every heist" is:
1. They're fresh instead of having XP and more moves.
2. You don't get a chance to get more attached.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've technically paid for BitD three times now because I own a hardcopy, the itch.io copy, and now this bundle.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Court of Blades is officially out and seems like it's a FitD aimed straight at me.
Fantasy renaissance, you're a bunch of nobodies (a 'coterie') within your noble house, aiming both to rise within your House, and to put your House at the top of the ladder.

sebmojo posted:

Is the expectation in BITD that heists/scores are completely freestyled? Like you roll the various options and bam you're doing it? Or would a more typical approach be to think of a few in broad terms, based on the party's position and history, and present a selection?

The way my most recent GM has been doing it is that they've got a couple of score ideas preset based on what's going on in the city and people that might come to the PCs with a job for them, but there's also nothing stopping us from going "That rival gang has been up our butt for too long. Time to take them down a peg and seize their territory" and that's the score instead.

If that's the case you play out the leadup and the Gather Information rolls and whatnot, then you pick the score type and the detail, you roll engagement, and then you take a 5-10 minute break as the GM thinks about what happens from there and occasionally laughs to themselves.

Having GMed myself I think the most important 'knowledge' to be able to quickly improvise or have on hand is just what a building's rough layout might be like, and who might be living or working in said building.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Blisster posted:

Would Band of Blades work ok for a campaign about a travelling merchant caravan? I have been obsessed with the Ultraviolet Grasslands setting recently, but also want to try out Forged in the Dark as a system. Is there a fitd game that could be adapted to run UVG with a bunch of overland travel and some dungeon crawling on the side?

I don't think it would make sense to use Band of Blades for this. Seems to be it's easier to just run regular BitD as the 'Smugglers' crew type and adjust and tweak the special abilities as necessary.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anyone else familiar/experienced with the Charge RPG?
https://fari.games/en/games/fari-rpgs/charge-rpg/

It's strongly based on Blades in the Dark, just with a couple of the basics adjusted like changing stress to 'momentum' that you build and then spend, and changing harm/consequences. You could call it FitD with some Fate stuffed into it.

It seems nice basically as a hacker's guide to building a FitD game. Thinking of using it myself if I ever get around to writing a game for my own specific ideas. I'm almost slightly mad at how much is... pre-done in terms of effective mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah 'gathering information' is not a downtime action it's just a... thing you can do. Like you want to steal something juicy from a rival gang, so you look around for some details on their hideout. The GM mentions some possible details and from there as a player you go "ah OK, they have an underground entrance, therefore we will sneak in through the tunnels".