Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Clarifying rules question: you can spend a Coin to improve the result of a downtime activity, but does that extend to Train? The way it’s written doesn’t make clear whether Train is an exception among downtime activities, but since it doesn’t involve a roll it’s unclear how the normal “spend a coin to improve” mechanic would apply. Another player in a group I’m in was wondering if they could spend a Coin to get +1 XP and put themselves over the line to get another dot in an action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is admittedly judgemental and maybe speaks to me and my players, but the minute players start really drilling into how to get extra XP out of training, it feels like I’ve started to lose the thread of the system and what I should be pushing people toward. I had to really lay into making people come up with little described vignettes for training because that started to want to spend every last resource on that because it led to better dice. I get it, but I feel like my players let me down a little in being too worried about mechanical outcomes and I tried to redirect the energy desperately once they figured out how to say “I want to gain experience without any fiction/play.”

Maybe this is not relevant to your situation but having DMed Blades for over a year now whenever a player starts poking into “But what about this, but with training?” It starts to raise red flags for people trying to extract a more mechanical result than the fiction first approach the game and myself as GM try to cultivate.

I’m not the GM this time, so I’m not necessarily steering the group, but this is my whole group’s (GM included) first time playing Blades so there’s definitely a learning process for us in figuring out the sort of landscape of the system and what comes first at different times.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Demon_Corsair posted:

This is where we generally end up. The crew is thieves so the default is they are doing to sneak in and then they do a few survey rolls to "find" a good access point. Should I just tell them to pick a likely way in and go? Should they just say there is a door on the roof we can try to access, or a second story window, vs them do a study for me to tell them those are options?

I'm just not sure who should be making up the detail, or where that info comes out. If it's a study or a survey to figure that out, then I should probably prep a few options because it turns out I suck coming up with those on the fly. If that's something the players can just make up because the characters would know, then I can just tell them that the detail is on them and roll with it.

For what it's worth, I don't think the intention is for the crew to have to survey to find an access point. They provide the detail, which doesn't have to be that specific--you just want them to zoom in a little from "we sneak in" to "we sneak in across the rooftops." Then you roll engagement and the engagement roll tells you how things are going when the scene opens; when it's lights, camera, action the crew is already on their way in. Maybe one way to put it is: you don't make action rolls until you're on the heist and you're not on the heist until after the engagement roll, and the engagement roll governs making your entry, so it doesn't make sense to make action rolls that affect finding your entry.

In order to keep things rolling any detail they volunteer should work (within reason). If they say "we go in through an upstairs window" they shouldn't have to ask you if the place has upstairs windows.

quote:

I really try to stress the idea of flashbacks to avoid overplaning, and oceans eleven is practically required watching to try to drill in the idea.

If I ever get to play this game I want to play a spider that only exists in flashbacks and doesn't actually come on the heist.

"Spider that aims to spend the heist in the pub across the street and just chime in with flashbacks and other supportive actions" was exactly the character I played in my group.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Consorting with ghosts is a Whisper’s job, but doing it in your downtime could make people look down on you, make you act/smell funny, and distract you from being able to function normally as a supernatural thief. You know, like a vice.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shanty posted:

I feel like the Weird vice HAS to be poo poo like this rather than some religious, supernatural or arcane practice. Because in Doskvol you might very reasonably do that kind of thing as part of your job already. Worshipping Cthulhu isn't "weird" when half the people down the docks have not only met Him, they've tied Him to a boat and drained His blood into barrels.

So it has to be, like, the Hound has a big dollhouse and is very particular about the furniture they stock it with. They spend most of their coin at the few woodworkers they haven't had terrific rows with over the details on an armoire you couldn't store a cigarette in. They once disappeared without notice for a week and came back with a thumb-sized futon. The Bluecoats once nabbed them on a B&E, but they got off lightly because all they'd taken was measurements.

Rules as written I believe this would be Luxury. The Weird vice is supposed to be supernatural in nature.