Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I think one of the ways you're supposed to scale difficulty is just make harder/softer moves, like Dungeon World. A failure on a Skirmish roll against a couple chump guards has a very different fictional risk and mechanical consequence than the same roll against expert Red Sash assassins. You can wiggle out of the harm with stress either way, but how badly you want to depends on the nature/level of the harm.

Disclaimer: I have run this game all of once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Iceclaw posted:

Well, thanks for answers everyone! On another subject, is there some interest for a pbp game here on SA? I'm itching for testing the game, but it'd be hard to do so IRL for various reasons.

:justpost:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Iceclaw posted:

Well, thanks for answers everyone! On another subject, is there some interest for a pbp game here on SA? I'm itching for testing the game, but it'd be hard to do so IRL for various reasons.

Have you posted this yet, and if not, why the gently caress not?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Harrow posted:

Trying to recreate the mechanics of Persona in a tabletop game is a fool's errand for sure. I should know. I've tried. It was a total mess. :negative:

So I should delete this google doc we haven't touched in probably a year?

In all seriousness, I still think a Megaten tabletop game could work, but it'd have to be more traditional main-series stuff rather than something explicitly based around gaming RP interactions for mechanical gain.

For content: how do you guys, as GMs, encourage players who are used to D&D and Shadowrun to help establish narrative details., use flashbacks, stuff like that?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I've been big into Fallen London recently, and I can't help but feel like a Blades in the Neath hack would be a fantastic fit for the setting. Not only is it a city of eternal night where the ruling classes hide away and the Constables are the meanest gang in town, but the literal entrance to Hell is just up the River Thames, and death is a temporary inconvenience rather than a permanent condition. So much cool territory to explore, especially in playing a crew of scoundrels trying to lay low rather than a big-shot with their name on Society's lips.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I've literally run this, I even made up a little list of "Adjective" + "descriptors" for when I needed a throwaway title. I also avoided using direct dialogue much, preferring instead to steal the style of "The Cheery Zee-Captain tells you that he already sold the goods to a Quivering Academic, at a very fair price. For a fairer one, he suggests, he could give you the address his crew delivered it to." Wound up falling apart due to COVID (mine), but I've always dreamed of trying it again.

Sounds delicious! Do you have a list of rules changes, etc? :justpost:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

the heaviest rewrites were basically reworking the Whisper into the Correspondent (as in, "one who studies/uses the Correspondence, albeit badly")

Do you remember what action covered supernatural bullshit? There's all sorts of other weird skills and disciplines available to FL characters who study Things Man Was Not Meant To Know: Glasswork for understanding dreams and mirrors and why they're so weird in the setting; Mithridacy for sowing confusion and deceit through words that are technically true; Kataleptic Toxicology for making use use of poisons and weird Neath substances, etc. etc. All of these could be available to crew members willing to risk their hair catching fire or worse, but Attune doesn't fit, and Esoterica doesn't have a good verb form.

I like the idea of the Whisper being called the Fox. For mysterious reasons, there are no foxes anywhere in London.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'm not exactly an expert on Fallen London's endgame skills, but things like toxicology feel less like individual skills and more like the Leech moves that let you use craft specific things better.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like these are abilities a PC would acquire in-fiction once the crew is of a high enough Tier to meet the kind of people who know them. Just having the ability would give PCs new ways of using actions and GMs new story hooks or plot points.

"One of your Tomb-Colonist friends eventually consents to tell you of a Zealous Chemist, lately arrived from Venderbight. She scoffs at the notion of being a mere student of toxins; she is an enthusiast, she boasts giddily, in the same fashion that His Amused Lordship is a wine enthusiast."

"The Miserly Landlord trusts no one near his riches, so the room is secured by many locks and no guards. A precise mixture of prisoner's honey and Darkdrop Coffee could let you slip past it in a brief honey-dream and emerge on the other side. An imprecise mixture could cause you to emerge too far away, or not soon enough, or not at all."

"Abominable Salts stay in the body a long time, making large quantities like this inefficient for murder but singularly effective for torture. The Oenophilic Informant died slowly and painfully, then recovered and died again at least twice before you arrived. Someone went to great lengths to ensure they didn't share this particular information."

We had a Rattus Faber in the gang, yes.

I love those little bastards, almost as much as I love the fact that in-world they are informally called LBs which appears to stand for "little bastards"

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 24, 2022

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

spider bethlehem posted:

Then we found out about Icon, the final fantasy/ghibli anime rpg by the guys who made Lancer and Kill Six Billion Demons. It is a FitD with a built in crunchy tactical combat system, and if you like seeing a novel approach to Forged games, it's free in playtest right now, I recommend it.

I'll save the rest of you some google searches: "the guys who made Lancer" are called Massif Press, and their current Icon playtest is free on itch.io

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
As the man said*, treat your Blades PCs like stolen cars. By extension, be willing to source another when your current one crashes in the river or get hauled off by the Bluecoats or is totaled by a lightning rail.

*I don't remember which man said this

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I found an artist through CC and he got me an awesome picture for a super reasonable price and turned it around quickly. It rules, my players loved it.

You're right, this does rule and so do you for celebrating your players' greatest moments. Can't get that poo poo on dalle

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Having progressed much further in Fallen London, I can confidently say that there is plenty of narrative space for Blades in the Neath. The majority of the game proper is open only to to Persons of Some Importance, so a crew would be defined largely by its status among the disrespectable and sinister factions of the city: smugglers, revolutionaries, devils, urchin-gangs, etc.

The setting demands a few rules changes. Most of the esoteric arts function just fine as extensions of existing skills, available as veteran advances after some training with an expert (like the Iruvian sword arts and other advanced abilities). Mithridacy to Consort or Sway by telling the truth in a dishonest and opaque manner. Toxicology to Study or Tinker with weird substances like prisoner's honey or Cantigaster venom. Really weird stuff like Red Science or Shapeling Arts is beyond the grasp of a Blades crew.

The two high level rules changes I would make:

-No ghost field, so no Attune skill. When you Barter, you facilitate the exchange of services and secrets. You might find a buyer for contraband. You might try your hand at the Great Game. You could call in a favour from in high places (but Consort might be better).
-You don't drop out of the score at maximum stress. Taking 3-harm or 4-harm at max stress means death or madness; you get better and take Trauma during downtime.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2022

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Coolness Averted posted:

Instead of flat out removing attune you could use it a bit like Scum and Villainy does, and also have it double as intuition and communicating nonverbally or with things you can't normally.

The thing is the FL setting doesn't really have proper magic, or the Force, or a catch-all for supernatural phenomena. Weird stuff does happen in the Neath, a lot, but the weirdness comes from different sources. A newly discovered subspecies of rats can talk, but not for the same reason most cats can talk, or for the same reason that in the southeastern parts of the Unterzee all hats can talk.

The closest thing is the Correspondence, a weird language closely associated with the Bazaar itself. It's not widely understood, in no small part because the symbols burn through the paper they're written on and the hair of those who study them. Like most of the weird sciences, I feel that use of the Correspondence is best covered by specialized uses of other actions, like Tinker (safely inscribe a surface with the Victorian gothic-horror equivalent of explosive runes) or Study (find the meaning of an unfamiliar symbol without losing your eyebrows).

Certainly a Whisper (or whatever the analogous playbook is called) would have an option that makes the use of the Correspondence safer or more potent. Not both! Adding risk and reward is a core mechanic, after all, and I'm hoping to encourage players to use more stress and risk death more readily by emphasizing fatal harm or total madness is inconvenient, but seldom permanent.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Walker posted:

Blades in the Neath

Very early WIP sheets for playbooks and crews. Hoping for critique from TG goons.

Design and setting notes:
• A major conceit in the Fallen London setting is that people do not die if they are killed. Well, they do, but they get better after a narratively appropriate amount of time. There's some changes to the Harm and Trauma rules reflecting this.
• There's no ghost field or unified source of magic, but there are a lot of weird phenomena and I want every playbook to have access to at least one. The Whisper is largely unfinished because I wasn't sure about a more specific focus than "person who does witchcraft".
• PCs in Fallen London inevitably usually get to tier III or IV just by nature of being protagonists. A crew of thugs and lowlifes will have to fight for every centimetre of turf.
• I wanted to distill the crew types down to Shadows, Firebrands (Bravos with revolutionary flavor) and Wheelers (combined Smugglers/Hawkers). Not sure how well I handled that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I always felt preparing for a score was distinct enough from downtime, and something you did after your downtime actions. Not that I'll ever play a game for real because FitD doesn't use D20s