Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why didn't someone tell me we had a thread for this? :mad:

This game is so cool it managed to get (most) of my old online group back together. We've played 3 sessions so far and while I'm not sure we're doing things quite right, I'm having a good time. 3 sessions in and my Hound has managed to kill 4 people and be indirectly responsible for the death of a fifth person. I'm a bit surprised at myself at how fast I'm starting to see killing someone as an efficient solution to a problem. :v: At least I've only killed people who are murderous scum like myself (assuming Spirit Wardens count as murderous scum).

Of course, that might be partially because I used the highwayman from Darkest Dungeon as a "my guy looks like this" reference.

I've also caught myself musing every once in a while about how you'd adapt it to modern day criminals (ala GTA or Payday) and Shadowrun. Sure there are eventually going to be kickstarter stretch goal hacks for this stuff, but that is later!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Group played our fourth session today. After gaining a fatigue/Vice level at the end of the third session, I went from 0 to 7 stress in this session one score thanks to us getting rather greedy. We pulled it off pretty well given the rolls we failed at first. :toot: I didn't even have to kill anyone this time.

Lightning Lord posted:

I've already got plans to run Shadowrun in this when it drops. Hopefully the setting hacks mesh well with each other.

Shadowrun/Generic Cyberpunk is the hack(s) I'm most anticipating. As well as GTA/Payday/Heist-Movie style modern day stuff. I mean I love the "Industrial Fantasy" setting of Duskwall, but I know I can wrap my brain better around criminal activities in more familiar settings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

John Harper posted:

I've decided to go all in on a bigger batch of tweaks and additions, so the QS update has been delayed. Sorry about that! I'm working to get it ready as soon as I can.

Time to keep waiting. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 23, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So my recent binging of Miami Vice and playing of GTA V has me idly musing about a 1980s-Modern hack of BitD. Most of it transposes over just fine, but the playbooks would need a makeover (with whisper basically being replaced entirely) and some skills renamed and replaced (probably need a driver/vehicle skill for one). I might do some actual work on it, but I think I'll wait until the next update to do that (hopefully we'll also get The Leech and the Spider).

I lean more towards 1980s as a setting because A) The 80s were awesome, aesthetically B) Cocaine! Hawkers are a perect playbook for the period C) Avoids most of that annoying modern day computers and all the complicated and crime-hindering bullshit associated with them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah maybe. At least BitD probably avoids the problems of Hackers in Shadowrun where everything grinds to a halt while the hacker plays his minigame. In BitD the hacker just takes a normal overcome action (if he's just hacking poo poo via wifi while sitting in a bathroom or something) or a group action (say if he has the rest of the group interacting manually with something so he can mess with it). That was the worst part about Shadowrun (besides the clunker rules).

Man, I'm looking forward to seeing the cyberpunk hack.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, who are the "Good guys" in the Duskwall setting? Not the bluecoats, that is for sure.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

chaos rhames posted:

The empress, potentially Corvo and a few of the revolutionaries.

Dishonored is Dunwall. Duskwall is Blades in the Dark. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, here is a thing I wrote up real quick for my group, based on the changes I noticed:

- Gangs now have Claims (Turf, fences, resources, etc) that are laid out in a branching grid and have to be seized from other powers via scores.
- Attributes and Action ratings have been completely changed. Blade/Book/Cloak/Mask are gone, as are the effects. Instead now the action categories are Guile, Insight, Resolve, and Vigor and they function also as the old effects.

- Several actions are gone, replaced with new ones. Stalk (merged into Prowl), Slip(Replaced by Finesse), Secure(replaced by Finesse), and Supply are gone. New are Finesse (Stalk+Slip), Handle (for handling vehicles, everyday labor tools/tasks, etc), Skirmish (open deadly combat), and Invoke (The occult and the arcane, dark arts).
- Skills that remain but have shifted in focus/meaning: Mayhem is now just being a brute, breaking poo poo, and non-lethal brawling. Attune now mostly deals only with ghosts and spectrology instead of the occult in general. Murder is now pretty much literally one-sided murder (and getting away with it). Slitting a guard's throat from the shadows? Murder. Shooting him in ambush? Skirmish. Adjust accordingly guys.

- Your "effect" rating in Guile/Insight/Resolve/Vigor is based on how many of the 4 skills each covers you have with at least one dot. (EG: if you have 3 Insight skills with at least 1 pip, your Insight level is 3).
- Each Effect category is now used to resist a specific type of consequence (Vigor resists physical strain/injury, Insight resists deception and perception, etc)
- You can now inflict 2 stress on yourself to add +1d to a roll, add Potency to your effect, or take action despite severe harm.
- Clocks haven't changed too much (I think) but have been clarified.
- Actions are reworked. Controlled/Risky/Desperate remains, but now a 6 is always a "You Do It", as is a 4-5 (at cost), even on Desperate rolls. Now the level of risk determines just how bad a 1-3 is or what a 4-5 result will cost you, and it is still possible to slide from Controlled to Risky to Desperate with bad rolls.
- Effect is very different now, there are 3 grades: Limited, Standard, and Great effect which score 1, 2, and 3 ticks on a clock respectively. Initial effect level depends on the action, just like the position of the action. (EG: Carefully walking across a beam would be a controlled action, but limited effect on a racing clock, meanwhile running across the beam would be risky, but have a standard effect.) Certain factors such as quality, scale, and potency can also influence effect.
- NEW MECHANIC: The Fortune Roll. A handy tool for the GM to determine some uncertain outcomes (especially ones the PCs aren't directly involved in EG: Most of the Lampblack/Redsash gangwar conflict)
- The Five Plans are now The Six Plans. New Plan: Transport Plan
- A Score now begins with The Engagement Roll. This is a Fortune roll witha number of dice based on how resistant/prepared the target is to the PC's plan (the better prepared the target, the less dice). A 1-3 means the target is in control of the situation when the action starts and the PCs are in trouble, 4-5 means both sides are on equal footing, while a 6 means the PCs have some kind of advantage over the situation.
- Teamwork has changed quite a bit. There is no more overcome action. Only Lead a Group Action and Set up remain. Note, Teamwork moves are NOT REQUIRED. You can do solo moves as well to pick that lock or whatever, so its basically like Overcome, except everyone else doesn't eat stress if you cock it up.
- Characters not on point can still spend 1 stress to give a bonus die or choose to face/resist a danger instead of the one on point.
- You can now trigger each playbook advancement item multiple times at the end of a score! However you're limited to 1 playbook advancement per session/score.
- Gather information is now a downtime action

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just noticed the new rule for clearing Stress. Now instead of a dice roll you simply clear 1+Vice levels of stress. You can clear 4 more stress if you overindulge, but that is it. There isn't even the option to engage in Vice again as a downtime action.

Clearing stress just got a lot harder.

[edit] Oh wait, you get two downtime actions and one, both or neither can be vice. I'm bad at reading. :downs: Though stress lowering is still rougher now, it feels.

Anyways, here are some notes my GM pal wrote up that are better/clearer than mine. http://pastebin.com/yzKC7CEW

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 26, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What are you having trouble understanding about effects?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is only if that guard is the only one represented by the clock. If that is the case, it should be a simple obstacle most likely, not having a whole clock dedicated to it. The clocks are meant to be a loosely defined obstacle. If you succeed in a sway roll to convince that guard to let you in, but don't fill up the "Guards" clock completely, maybe another guard becomes a problem later on, to be swayed, snuck past, or otherwise neutralized.

And you don't have to knock down each clock before moving on to another. Maybe now that you've bluffed past it makes more sense to work on that "Locate the target" clock. The GM could potentially thrust the Guard clock back in your face as part of a consequence.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 26, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There has been another playtest version, this time the GenCon Edition.

Haven't read it yet myself, but according to my GM, the attributes and actions list has been reduced again:

Getting a bit slim, I guess less is more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My crew of thieves finally got to do some genuine thievery this session (first session in 3 weeks, drat busy schedules). The highlight was us laterally stealing a gilded baby crib out from under a sleeping baby thanks to a three 6 crit.

We also stole a briefcase and locked tome from a VIP visiting the noble home we were burglarizing. No idea what is in them yet, but they were important enough for the VIP to leave his bodyguard watching them instead of himself as he discussed uncertain plots in the study with the man if the house (our attempts to eavesdrop weren't very successful).

Thankfully(?) A rogue spirit caused a ruckus to draw the bodyguard away from his post (the ruckus also covered our own botch). Based on the arcane paraphernalia with the book/briefcase, I'm guessing the VIP was a warden or other whisper. Especially since the rogue spirit's rampage went quiet awfully fast...

Very fun session.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actions got changed and reorganized again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

New version of the Quickstart, v4. Also, the game is definitely "behind schedule" and not going to make the original November 2015 estimate. No big deal, IMO, its progressing very well.

Changelog:

quote:

1. Vice. The mechanic for vice and stress recovery has changed. Vice is more of an issue now and can be fraught with trouble. Players now have a reason to let stress build up a bit higher (so they don't overindulge) but also, ignoring your vice has a bad consequence. It's a tough line to walk, better reflecting the problematic nature of vices. See page 19.

2. Coin value.The scale of value for coin has been tweaked slightly. Each character can now hold 4 coin instead of just 2. See page 20.

3. Engagement Roll. I've rewritten the outcomes of this roll to make it more interesting in play.

4. Tier, Rep, and Hold. I've revised these systems a bit to make them clearer, more strongly connected to fictional positioning, and a bit simpler to track.

5. Resistance.When you decide to resist a consequence and roll the dice, you must suffer the stress indicated. You can't roll first and see how much stress you'll take, then decide whether or not to resist. You decide to either accept the consequence or roll to resist and then suffer the stress.

6. Trauma.When a character suffers trauma, you choose a permanent trauma condition to add to your character. These conditions affect how your character thinks and behaves, reflecting how they've changed because of the traumatic experiences they've had. When you roleplay your trauma conditions, you earn xp for your character.

7. Bonus Die.There is only one available bonus die for rolls now. You either push yourself (taking 2 stress) or you accept a devil's bargain. This simplifies the dice rolling procedure slightly so there are fewer steps and choices. Characters can still help each other, using the assist teamwork action. Instead of a bonus die, assistance now improves the position of the assisted character. See page 17.

8. Character Sheets.All of the character sheets and the Crew sheet have been tweaked to reflect the new rules. Time to print again. :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Long term projects perhaps?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My group has been playing it semi-weekly (whenever schedules line up) since pretty much the end of the kickstarter and every time stress mechanics get updated a few of us go "oh man it looks so terrible and harsh now" and we just play through and it turns out its not so bad. Granted we've got about 2 fatigue each and are only a Tier 1 gang, but hey, poor choices were sometimes made on our parts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A recent kickstarter update a couple days ago included some new stuff, specifically crew sheets for Cults and Smugglers (as well as a slightly revised Thieves crew sheet). In addition there was a sampling of new abilities independent of specific playbooks, including one that seems to point to the existence of a Ghost playbook.

Smugglers looks pretty fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Another update has come down. Including one big piece of news:

quote:

Are you ready for this? The rules are finished! That's right, version 5 is the final iteration of the core mechanics. Nothing significant will change going forward (maybe just a number here or there if we find an error). If you've been waiting for the rules to stabilize before you start playing with the Early Access PDF, your wait is over.

Changelog for the new version:

quote:

VERSION 5 CHANGELOG
Most Changes in this PDF update are in dark red text.
1. Healing Rules! I've fleshed out the healing rules on their own page and provided an example of their use. See page 21.
2. Going to War. At -3 faction status, you're at war. This results in several difficulties, detailed on page 14and also summarized on the faction status tracking sheet.
3. New Entanglement: Flipped. Sometimes your allies switch sides. See page 30.
4. Te amwor k. I've rewritten the Assist and Set-Up maneuvers to improve their use in play. See page 17.
5. Vice. You now may choose what your character does when they overindulgetheir vice. See page 19.
6. Resistance Roll. When you roll a criticalon resistance, you clear 1 stress.
7. The Slide. I re-wrote several of the Slide's special abilities to make the playbook a bit cooler. See page 36.
8. The Cutter, The Lurkand The Houndhad a few special abilities tweaked and shuffled around. If you have a player who is already playing one of these, they can keep any shuffled abilities they already have as veteran advances.
9. The Spider. New PC playbook! The Spider is a devious mastermind. See page 37.
10. The Ghost. New PC playbook! What happens to you when you die? See page 52.
11. Extra Crew Sheets. I've added the Breakers, Cult, Hawkers, and Smugglers in this update. Also, all crews now start with a free training upgrade.
12. Crew Advancement. I tweaked advancement a bit as well as the cost of some crew upgrades. When you advance, you get either a special ability or two crew upgrades. See page 18.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sorta? Its very fantastical pirates.

quote:

UNLOCKED ($115,000) Womb of Night: A black expanse stretches between the stars, whose dim light shelters the thousand colonies of humanity. Riding the star-seas between them are crews of traders, marauders, explorers and pirates - all guided by the Sisterhood, whose Navigatrix acolytes portend safe passage through the hellish storms that make up the roiling mass they call the warp-space.

In Womb of Night you play brave opportunists who seek out their fortune in the void of the cosmos, preying on fat merchant ships or finding rich new worlds to exploit. Space holds riches and power beyond your dreams, if you're bold enough to take them. By Adam Koebel (co-author of Dungeon World, and GM of Swan Song. Adam knows a thing or two about tense situations in space. His primary inspirations for Womb of Night are the art of Moebius, 70s heavy metal and a heavy dose of psychedelic culture.)

There is also a sea based add-on to the Duskwall setting.

quote:

UNLOCKED! ($45,000) Leviathan Song: The hunting vessels sail out from Duskwall, enormous steam ships financed by the noble houses, captained by their unrecognized scions, and crewed by the unwashed masses. Following signs from shipboard dogs, gifted orphans, and madmen trained to hear the demon-song chanted in the depths, they sail the Never Sea, harpoons and hoses ready, preparing to drain the great beasts of their precious fluid. A new playset by Jonathan Walton (author of the Dungeon World Planarch Codex).

They Might be able to be used as a base for rehacking into traditional pirates though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Iceclaw posted:

On a slightly similar subject, I'm having trouble visualising progress clocks. If players start ticking one clock to get by an obstacle, then decide midway to use another method, would you reset the clock? Create another one?
For exemple, PCs need to open a safe. First they start to try to use brute force, making little progress because it's sturdier than expected (Say 3/8 progress), before deciding to kidnap a NPC who knows the combination. Would you keep the already begun clock, even if it doesn't make sense that taking a hammer to the safe would make kidnapping someone easier, or do something else?

I'd keep it. Rationalize it by say that since they've decided it is "too durable" to force open they're still making progress by changing to a possibly easier tactic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Downgrade their position then. Busting it open with tools might be controlled, but they weren't planning to switch tactics, this puts them in a risky/desperate position.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A couple months ago I threw together notes for Blades Among the Neon before :effort: struck. It was probably terrible, so hopefully that counts as one!

I did like the idea of having Brand-Name items instead of Fine Quality though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, a playtest version of the first of the Blades in the Dark Stretch Goal hacks has seen the light of day. It was posted to the public Google+ group, so I'm gonna link it here.

quote:

Here it is. Try it out. Tell me how it goes. There's lots of work left to be done, but I'm excited to get it in your hands.

I would remind anyone that this is a playable alpha . There are going to be changes and many things are still, very much, a work in progress.

That being said, I believe there is enough here for you to play the game, even if you have to fill some bits on your own.

I would love to hear how this goes for you, any questions you might have or comments.

Good luck adventurers!

Still to come:
Additional Crew Sheets
Artwork and Maps
Life-paths for the various peoples
Special Permissions and worked examples
Agartha Zones Encounters
Advanced Dungeon Design and Delving

Blades Against Darkness v1.0 Playable Alpha

And the original KS pitch/blurb:

quote:

Blades Against Darkness
Get your dungeon-crawling fix with this total reskin and new playset for the game! You are a tomb robber — desperate for coin, driven by a thirst for knowledge, on a quest for your inscrutable deity, or, perhaps, just crazy. One way or another, you’ll take almost any job that comes your way. The Gods know there is plenty of bloody work to be had in the dark passageways below the earth. drat little is honorable. Most all of it will get you killed. But you just might make it out alive... and rich. By Dylan Green.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cyberware should just be part of playbook moves IMO. Though I guess that comes with the narrative problem of how they were obtained. I dunno.

One thing I know for sure is that there should not be Fine [item]s there should be Brand-Name [Item]s with the player making up the exact name. Its not just a deck, its an Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7, its not just a pistol, its an Ares Predator. Cyberpunk loves its consumer fetishism.

[edit] Started reading the latest version. Man, my group has played through them all to the point where I can't keep all the changes straight anymore. It all blurs together in my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, but its not like people were gonna keep mum about that anyways.

And I wasn't really expecting most of the hacks to be ready by launch, personally. Kind of need a finished game to do a hack of it (granted the mechanics have basically been solidified now).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I still haven't seen my BitD book, or my AW2e for that matter, but I'm in Europe. :(

I haven't either and I'm in California. I added my physical copy on via backerkit though, so maybe I'm just low/last priority. :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I live in California and I got my special edition a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Which one is S&V? Name has me thinking Star Wars?