Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CitizenKeen posted:

There are a lot of orphaned rules in this book.

Like what? And did you report them using that Google form that was sent out in the last update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Yep, that one. ~*~ We have the power ~*~ to alert them to errors, omissions, and orphaned rules, so we ought to use it. CitizenKeen, if you don't want to file a bunch of reports, I'll happily write them if you want to describe the issues you've found or give page references.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the quality of the POD copies will be like? I'm trying to decide I should wait for that, or grab the hard cover from backerkit.

$20 shipping to Canada loving sucks for a $10 book though.

If they're anything like the normal DriveThruRPG PODs, they'll be "okay." The main weak points will be the binding (although BitD is fairly slim, so that might be fine if you don't abuse your books) and the richness of the black ink, which is normally not a huge deal but will definitely affect the presentation of Blades' artwork. Evil Hat doesn't skimp on print quality, so if you can afford it without hardship, I strongly suspect the hardcover will be a substantially better product.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DalaranJ posted:

Does plasm burn dirty, or is it just that it's so rare (and important) that most people/factories still burn coal?

I suspect the latter. Based on John's streamed games, electroplasm appears to burn clean in the sense that it doesn't fill the air with smog, although spiritual residue seems to be a thing.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you got the Special Edition, that's coming in a separate batch that their distributor (Alliance) hasn't shipped out yet. We'll be getting tracking numbers as soon as they go out.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did the dark fantasy military hack modeled Black Company and Malayan ever get finished?

I can personally attest that Band of Blades is in playtesting and is probably near release; I've seen it run at Big Bad Con, and know people who are on the playtesting list. It also looks loving rad and will have been worth the wait. In fact, you can apparently watch a playtest campaign of it run by the designer here, although I haven't seen it yet and can't vouch for the quality of the players.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Got to play Band of Blades with Stras at Big Bad Con over the weekend. We finally have an actual Black Company RPG, and it is really good, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 16, 2018

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

admanb posted:

Marielda is a good arc but it's an unusual example of Blades because they are so bad at it.

There are two on YouTube run by John Harper: RollPlay: Blades, which is solid, and Bloodletters, which is great, but starts early in the development of the game so the rules don't coalesce until a few episodes in.

Seconding John Harper's games in a big way. Bloodletters is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Blades players, pitch me your favorite non-traditional interpretations of the crew types. I have a BitD game doing session zero on Wednesday and while my players are all extremely hype for this, they're leaning toward the crew types that I've never run a game for before, and have the least interest in: Assassins, Smugglers, and Shadows. I’ve taken in a fair amount of Blades-relevant media, but all of it related to those crew types has been pretty traditional stuff that doesn’t super inspire me.

In return, I offer a couple of weird ones that I've actually run:

Cult: The Supplicants at the Threshold
The Cataclysm broke the world, and sundered the Gates of Death - but the world could be made whole again if some fragment of the divine order could be reinstated, a seed crystal around which the cosmos could regrow. You have come into possession of certain mysteries which might serve that purpose: a Forgotten God, bound outside of time, whose return could herald the dawn of a new age. But others strive at cross-purposes with you. The state-sanctioned Church of Ecstasy, the Spirit Wardens who can't tell the difference between your holy work and your rivals' mad designs, and the simple ignorant brutality of Doskvol's underworld. Worst of all are the cultists of nameless horrors, who seek to tear open the veil of reality and bring their dark masters forth.

This is a Cult crew that hunts other cults (Sacred Site: Sacrifice), while trying to create a foothold for the Forgotten God whose return might allow the reconstruction of the Gates of Death. People working toward a noble purpose, but who are - to outsiders and the authorities - indistinguishable from the cultists of cosmic horrors they contend against. Something perilously close to a “good guys” Cult.

Character concepts might include:
* A sacred guardian (Cutter)
* A spirit warden gone rogue (Spider, Slide)
* A cult assassin (Hound, Lurk)
* A keeper of sacred texts (Whisper, Leech)

Hawkers: Spectral Geometries
The grimoire was never meant to be used in this way. The strange rituals and ancient spellcraft within it predate the Cataclysm, and their nature no longer aligns with what the world has become – but they remain efficacious nonetheless. Your crew has unlocked the barest fragments of its mysteries: the Echo-Gate Rite, which aligns the currents of the ghost field to call up “echoes” of feelings and memories or to generate subtle but long-lasting supernatural effects, using occult geometry, strange talismans, and arcane runes. Cheap geomancy breaks down faster, covers less area, and is less reliable. The spells have a shelf life: living or working in the space introduces chaos into the pattern, creating repeat customers. Deeper mysteries await within the grimoire, accessible by long-term projects.

Your services are occult and poorly understood: clients may ask for things you aren’t certain the grimoire’s patterns can provide. How or whether you choose to provide these services – or claim to do so, regardless of the truth – is up to you. Some of the services your clients might ask you for include…

The poor: increasing foot traffic; helping with “marital issues;” deterring thieves
The wealthy: creating the perfect ambience; improving fertility; engineering scandal
The underworld: tilting the odds in a gambling den; luring or abjuring spirits; intoxication and obsession

Character concepts might include:
* A snakeoil salesman whose latest product actually works (Slide)
* An occultist becoming obsessed with the grimoire (Whisper)
* A former architect, now constructing spectral geometries (Leech)