Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Plague of Hats posted:

He's going to do one of those "late backers" things, so that might be it whenever that's ready.

That's amazing news, I was pretty bummed to have missed it. Any info about where and when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

For people who missed the kickstarter, John just put the current draft up on DriveThru, which will be updated up to and including the final version.

Great, picked it up right away. But I don't have anyone to play with. :smith:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

The Band of Blades hack might be up your alley.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, it does asks for more contextualisation for every action when compared to other games like D&D. For exemple, it's "I attack this dude! -OK, roll to hit against his AC then damage" vs "I attack this dude. -Okay, how are the circumstances? How do you attack, from where? -What? -So I can give you the position. - I... I don't know? -And after that we have to détermine the effect! - Oh god".
I mean, hyperbole, yeah, but it can be taxing to have to micromanage those especially with as few guide lines to properly establish position and effect.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Boing posted:

Yeah but I'd say that's more of an artifact of D&D training people to be uncreative than it is a problem with the system in Blades. If you sit down a teenager who wants to play RPGs and hasn't touched D&D, they will say things like "I slide toward the thug and hack at his knees!" and nothing like the artificial, contrived "I attack with my sword".

Disagree. Not everyone, even -and especially- complete newbies immediately start pulling all of the coolest moves. At the contrary, experience showed me that whatever the game is, many players end up being paralyzed and default to the simplest stuff they can.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

I like taking stress just because to clear it you need to indulge in vices in your downtime which for us from an RP perspective was super fun and REALLY fleshed out the characters as actual people with issues outside of jobs.

The one cutter in the group played up being disfigured like Richard Harrow and coming to terms with that when his vice was lust, having to resort to prostitutes.

Using a mechanic solely because Roleplay mandate it and not because it's useful to it is the mark of a lovely mechanic. :colbert:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

On a slightly similar subject, I'm having trouble visualising progress clocks. If players start ticking one clock to get by an obstacle, then decide midway to use another method, would you reset the clock? Create another one?
For exemple, PCs need to open a safe. First they start to try to use brute force, making little progress because it's sturdier than expected (Say 3/8 progress), before deciding to kidnap a NPC who knows the combination. Would you keep the already begun clock, even if it doesn't make sense that taking a hammer to the safe would make kidnapping someone easier, or do something else?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd keep it. Rationalize it by say that since they've decided it is "too durable" to force open they're still making progress by changing to a possibly easier tactic.

Yeah, that's what the rules seems to say. However, it bother me that despite for all intent and purpose, the group forfeit their progression by switching methods, yet it is still treated mechanically as progress. It feels a bit too much like a videogamey thing where you have to complete random tasks to fill a bar, know what I mean.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, thanks for answers everyone! On another subject, is there some interest for a pbp game here on SA? I'm itching for testing the game, but it'd be hard to do so IRL for various reasons.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Have you posted this yet, and if not, why the gently caress not?

Sorry, Real Life just took a big dump on my family at a time we were kind of already busy :ohdear: . If anyone want to take it from me right now, go ahead, else, Sorry again but I'll have to sort things out first.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way for a filthy euro to purchase this without being murdered by the shipping fees?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I think that one is released already. Can't recall the name though.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I'd say it's context sensitive. How far and ready is the thrower?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, it'd work as some kind of assassin's knife, if you really need someone deader than dead with only one possible stab.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

All I see is that the inspector playbook enables me to play as Phoenix Wright. And that's rad.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

PST posted:

Cheers, shipping it to the UK makes it a bit pricy, though there is the pdf and print option.

Have you seen the BitD twitter accounts @DoskvolNews ‏ and @doskvolscores ‏

Not obstacles but has some things you can use for inspiration

https://twitter.com/doskvolscores/status/1087560493299101697

https://twitter.com/DoskvolNews/status/1087896067037908998

This a pro click I'm saving for the day i have players for this game. :negative:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Wrr posted:

I've been trying to introduce the gang growth side of things to my players recently. They're a cult operating under a tattoo parlor and are tattooing cult symbol onto people so I suggested that their turf could be represented in fiction by amount of / groups of people that are tattoo'd with their symbol.

Also I sent them out into the Deathlands this last episode and it went full on STALKER. They had an encounter with percussigant, a deadly creature from Cultist Simulator which literally never stops dancing, and it went bad for them. Diplomacy through dance broke down. It was waltzing affably, jived in appreciation for their compliments, launched into a samba as it grew irritable, and finally attacked with a mambo. When one of the crew smashed it in the back with a makeshift flail it collapsed to the ground, where it did an agonizing worm before being put out of the its misery.

Please tell me the player said "Stop! Hammer Time!". Otherwise it's just hilarious. And sad. But mostly hilarious.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Screwing off someone far more powerful than you and scrambling to keep them at bay is a great hook for any criminal story.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That, or one day the players get dunked on, shoved into coaches, and find themselves facing a decently powerful lieutenant of the gang they hosed over.
"Hi. You may wonder watcha doing here? Or maybe you is smart and you already guessed why. Bang up job you lot did. Real smooth. Would almost put it in the books for our new blood to learn from. Now thing is, we are in trouble with [enemy faction], so we can't exactly ignore wads of mollah turning up missing. Higher ups told me to make it right, hard'n'quick. I coulda have you all shived in your sleep. But such a bleeding heart i am, I can't find it in me to send such talented go-getters to feed the crows. So now, you work for me. I tell you where to hit, what to take. Anything I ask, I get. Anything else you nick along the way? You keep. You try and skip town? I kill you. You want to do some score on your own? I kill you. You work for anyone else? I loving kill you. Now scram. I'll send for you when I need you."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I like the Fugue Feast from Dishonored: a few days inbetween the years, in which theorically most taboos fall. When the Fugue Feast ends, whatever happen is not to be ever spoken about.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

How would you go about explaining the setting to a group?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it can go from "People who took the train/boat after their city got invaded and put into martial law" to "Trail of Tears, now with ghosts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I really want to gm this, but I'm really afraid of just not being able to find satisfactory consequences for successes and failures.