Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played this today. The hardest thing to wrap my head around was the skill names, but I love how physical combat is A Specialty instead of a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In the V3 playtest I was in, there was generally "single action", "Single action if you crit" or "2-3 action" things. Anything else was too complicated to do during a heist, or would be done by multiple people as multiple smaller checks, or just be taking 1 stress to give a teamwork die.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

Did that playtest use explicit clocks?

Yeah, the GM said "This is gonna be a 6 clock because it's a hard row to hoe."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We were playing in Hangouts so it wasn't viable.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

On the one hand having a skill called "Murder" was kind of cute, but on the other hand I was never fully satisfied trying to differentiate between three different skills for hurting other people and where one skill left off and another began, so I can't say I'm too sorry to see the skill list consolidated.

Agreedo

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

For as fawning as the first post is, this game seems to have stalled out both in forum interest and mechanical efficiency. This is version 3 of wildly revising the core mechanics, right?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It'll be cool to have a system that isn't Fate or *AW. The world feels like everything is the first world or the second*.

*Except for Shadowrun which is the 6th.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Boing posted:

Yeah but I'd say that's more of an artifact of D&D training people to be uncreative than it is a problem with the system in Blades

"Don't hate the game, hate the player."

Creativity should flow through the system like a straw. Blades asks for abstraction before (Devil's Bargain) and after (making a clock) and after (fallout) in a way that was clearer in earlier versions. I've played with Fenerisk; Fen is plenty creative.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

My criticism about editing was based on the confusion I saw in this thread about rules (see Demon_Corsair's posts). The way Harm is presented on the character sheets makes it seem pretty serious (e.g., -1D to all actions at 2 harm). it is only clarified in prose, in a paragraph, partway through the "Consequences & Harm" section, halfway down a page wedged between paragraphs explaining harm levels' prose correspondence and harm stacking. It would be pretty easy to skim over an otherwise clear system and completely miss a serious and important clarification/nerf about the harm mechanics. And it isn't mentioned elsewhere in the book that I can find (not even the extended playtest). This doesn't seem like an isolated incident, either (e.g., harm clock progress clearing on damage is a throwaway line on pg. 155). That strikes me as sloppy editing, leading to those situations where your GM may stop and say 'Hold on, I know it's explained somewhere in the book...'
As someone who skimmed the book and played 6 sessions, I also thought harm was -1D and all our plans were minimizing violence. Which made playing the Hound a lot less fun.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

homullus posted:

Four years overdue is even worse, but that doesn't make a year overdue not bad.

Agreed.

I mean, internet forums are a valid place for dissatisfaction.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, it'd be fine if it was six factions on a page. But there are DOZENS of one page summaries and you're asking a lot to have each player turn each faction around in their head, weigh it against what they (and the party) have made, and then declare it their sworn enemy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

The one thing I'm surprised Eclipse Phase never stole was the special alloy knife that creates cyanide compounds in reaction to exposure to blood.

A knife...that KILLS!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Was his goal to make a one man PBTA blitz? This is like a GURPS line.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Greedish posted:

Is there a good, relatively modern-day (say, 1920s onwards) hack for Blades? I was thinking something that could approximate heist movies.

Copperhead county is set in modern day but you can scale it back.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ran copperhead county last night. Lovely setting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm running a CC campaign myself (when the lazy players deign to show up.) What is your crew up to?
The Abernathys are putting in work!
Knocked over a Rodríguez Brothers stash house to sell drugs to motorcycle gang. This was their compromise after their attempt to sell fake pills was very quickly found out.
Their small time rivals are decimated.

Unfortunately, dropping bodies has consequences, even with a dirty cop on the payroll, so they decided to get someone’s unremarkable son elected to local city council. It was a successful project, thanks to gladhanding and a whiskey party. At this rate, Michelangelo is theirs, and tier 1 might not be far away. But Copperhead is a lot bigger than Michelangelo....

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re making your rolls because you put a lot into each skill, you might not need to resist. Especially if you crit or roll from control.
Everything is a trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

My advice is for blades in general.