Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
One of the FATE Worlds books has a supplement in it about caper stories, called CrimeWorld.

CrimeWorld divides criminal jobs in cons, convincing someone to give you something, and heists, getting something from someone without they knowing. It further separates jobs in four stages that could synergize very well with BitD's countdown clocks.

For the con, you have to Hook the Mark, Stall to the Sting, Blow, and Get Paid.

For the heist, you have Break in the House, Crack the Box, Dodge the Heat, and Get Paid.

You put a countdown clock in each of these stages and you've got yourself a score. So you have a clock for Breaking in the House that encompasses the locks and wards of the mansion, as well as the perimeter guards. This scheme also brings to light some things BitD itself doesn't focus too much on, like the "get the hell away from there" step of many scores and all the stuff a group of criminals have to do before turning the immediate fruits of their work into actual Coin they can use.

I highly recommend CrimeWorld, by the way. It has very to-the-point, genre-aware discussions of what makes a good caper story and how to turn that into a gaming session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

QuantumNinja posted:

Every time I see this game, I get a little more convinced that John Harper doesn't know what game he wants to make. The system doesn't seem to be strictly improving, just getting increasingly dissimilar from where he started. (I typed out a long list of what I meant, but posting them here where John can't see them probably isn't very effective other than just complaining. So I posted several of them on the G+ group instead.)

I kind of agree with you. Would you mind posting a link to the G+ thread? I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Is anyone aware of the official stance on PbPing the quickstart rules? I'd love to run the v3 draft and see how it plays. I'd imagine it'd be okay because the official AP out there is very open about the rules.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

For as fawning as the first post is, this game seems to have stalled out both in forum interest and mechanical efficiency. This is version 3 of wildly revising the core mechanics, right?

Certainly. The latest update mentions things progressing well, and that might be true in terms of getting closer to print, but, mechanically, it seems we're getting a bunch of "horizontal" updates and no progress forward towards a definite design.

People were saying it's better to revise a game after public playtests than not to, but at this point it seems as if the first version of the rules were barely playtested at all. Either that, or John Harper is really, really indecisive.