Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm currently running a PbP game of this.

The system feels quite flexible and fast-playing, and the "one detail for planning then drop the players in medias res" is a general principle that you could apply to other games. I could definitely see it being used in a SWAT/HRT/Rainbow Six-type setting.

The clock mechanic also strikes me as eminently poachable because it dovetails well with a GM never saying no. Even the most outrageous ask can be reduced to a "long-term project" with a clock that the party can work on over multiple sessions.

I feel like I already got a lot of value out of the quickstart rules.

I do think though the game could use with some options for cutting down on the number of Actions - 16 feels a little too many for a quick oneshot/fast Chargen.

EDIT: My thread title was totally going to be Blades in the Dark: Dirty D6s Done Dirt Cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The way I interpreted it is that Murder is what you use on unsuspecting targets, then Mayhem for dudes that can fight back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doodmons posted:

A thing I'm not clear on is how spending Stress interacts with fail forward. Let's say a player fails a roll to sneak down a corridor and the fail forward effect is that a guard comes unexpectedly through a door and spots the player. The player doesn't want this to happen and spends some Stress to avoid the effect. If the effect is "a guard comes out of a door and spots you" preventing that effect defies fail forward in that the player failed and nothing interesting happened. If the effect is "the guard spots you" then even if they player spends the stress, there's still a guard in the corridor and their life is now harder, which seems like something Stress is supposed to prevent.

I think what's supposed to happen is that the player sees the guard coming, but the game freezes at just the moment before the player gets spotted. "The danger manifests" - the player sees the guard riiight about to come out, so you offer them a choice: he either gets spotted, or he scoots across the corridor anyway and avoids getting spotted, but he takes stress from exerting all that extra effort.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Our Blades in the Dark PbP has just completed its first Score, if anyone would like to see the system in action.

Another idea I had for a BITD reskin was 80s movies. Play a gang of action movie stereotypes in Miami - smuggling cocaine, gun-running through the keys, steal important computer hacking secrets and redirect money into the DNC RNC.

Kai Tave posted:

You don't choose, at least in the last version he was kicking around, but basically yeah. The highest die becomes your degree of success and your second highest die becomes your degree of effect.

I like this! I was already off-the-cuff deciding whenever an action would need an effect roll or not - having that built-in would be a nice bit of streamlining.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the whole Controlled/Risky/Desperate principle could be useful in other games to quickly convey and contextualize the stakes of an ability check, although it does need to be coupled with "you can never roll the same action twice". Even if you were playing a d20 game, laying out how badly a failed check could go sideways or and allowing a chance to make up for the failure at a higher potential cost could make "fail-forwards"-type outcomes seem less arbitrary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

"wow, you totally aced that roll to do a thing...buuuut you rolled like poo poo on the clock so someone needs to try again."

I've definitely noticed this, and have handwaved it away more than a couple of times by declaring the action a success without asking for/needing an effect roll.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Ugh. 8 for locks? That sounds like classic bad d&d. "Oh, good job, you unlocked the door! Now roll again for the next door! Oh, too bad. Try again! Hey, great lockpicking! Only a couple more doors left! Keep on rolling..."

Am I missing something?

You can use any Action roll you can BS justify as disabling or bypassing the lock, and Effect rolls can fill in more than one block of the clock at a time. You could be done in as few as two Action/Effect combos, and the Action never has to be lockpicking per se.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The clocks don't have to represent anything more specific than "there are locks in this place", until you actually define what it means in the context of the result of an Action+Effect roll.

Doodmons posted:

Those diagrams are really helping me grok Blades. Am I right in thinking that the players don't have to complete a clock all at once and can move between them?
Yes, you don't have to tackle the obstacles in order.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, who are the "Good guys" in the Duskwall setting? Not the bluecoats, that is for sure.

The protagonists as grimdark, industrial fantasy Robin Hood types.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like Blades, I ran 1-and-a-half mission PbP, and I don't regret my backing at all, but I don't feel like committing to running it again for a while specifically because the core game is still changing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth, John Harper did make the following comment about Blades in the Dark:

quote:

The game is more on the Burning Wheel side of the spectrum, rules wise. Not quite that heavy, but definitely more going on than my typical one-page game. :)

The core rules are really simple, though (roll a dice pool, look for a 6 for full success, or a 4/5 for a partial success). You can start playing with basic rolls then add the other mechanics gradually when you want to.
(emphasis mine)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dzurlord posted:

I'm almost positive that the Kickstarter stretch-goal playsets included either a Cyberpunk set or a couple things that could easily be slapped together to make one go. So maybe there might be a decent-quality one out of the gate, anyway!

(Also, re: the other discussion in the thread, I could be in for a PbP game.)
I want to say about half of the KS stretch goals were various officially-endorsed hacks of BITD into different genres.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry for the incredibly stupid question, but the last version of BITD that I played was a lot shorter, but at the same time I believe it was labeled a "Quickstart" version.

Can we expect something like that coming down the pipe? Or has the game changed way too much to be feasibly summarized into such a form ever again?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Bee posted:

I mean, it'd be fine if it was six factions on a page. But there are DOZENS of one page summaries and you're asking a lot to have each player turn each faction around in their head, weigh it against what they (and the party) have made, and then declare it their sworn enemy.

As a general rule when it comes to these things, my solution has always been to not hold the players to the choice permanently. It's like a level 1 character having to go through a zillion feats without the foreknowledge of the internet - let them pick whatever's cool-looking, and let them change it once you/they have a better feel for how this is all supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Besides Runners and Scum and Villainy, are there any other current hacks that are in a playable state? I know that one of the ones that caught my eye was a dungeon crawly one.