Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is the expectation in BITD that heists/scores are completely freestyled? Like you roll the various options and bam you're doing it? Or would a more typical approach be to think of a few in broad terms, based on the party's position and history, and present a selection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bewilderment posted:

Court of Blades is officially out and seems like it's a FitD aimed straight at me.
Fantasy renaissance, you're a bunch of nobodies (a 'coterie') within your noble house, aiming both to rise within your House, and to put your House at the top of the ladder.

The way my most recent GM has been doing it is that they've got a couple of score ideas preset based on what's going on in the city and people that might come to the PCs with a job for them, but there's also nothing stopping us from going "That rival gang has been up our butt for too long. Time to take them down a peg and seize their territory" and that's the score instead.

If that's the case you play out the leadup and the Gather Information rolls and whatnot, then you pick the score type and the detail, you roll engagement, and then you take a 5-10 minute break as the GM thinks about what happens from there and occasionally laughs to themselves.

Having GMed myself I think the most important 'knowledge' to be able to quickly improvise or have on hand is just what a building's rough layout might be like, and who might be living or working in said building.

yeah, i can do that no prob just gaming out how i'd be doing it.

a good trick is to pick a building you know well and use the layout from that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Try CC, the daily drawing thread has some extremely talented artists

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My hawker players have spent several sessions setting up a previously haunted mansion to host a rave and sell their drugs at, what are some things I could have happen during the inaugural opening rave? Not wanting to plot it out obv, just wanting some happenings and left turns to throw in

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemon-Lime posted:

Downtime isn't the same thing as downtime actions! Downtime is the entire phase, which includes payoff, heat, entanglements, downtime actions, and indulging vice.

Sometimes downtime turns into a score because each downtime action is something that has the potential to be a scene

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the ability to give someone a bonus dice on their stress roll by helping then with it is gold, you get great little two hander scenes and entanglements.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eh in practice it works fine, and makes downtime much more interesting rather than having everyone off in their bubble, if it's a houserule it's a good and fun one imo.

quote:

Freeplay is for hanging out and vibing with the characters (and gathering info once they've decided to do a score, but that's kind of secondary). This is the phase of the game in which you play through the PCs' daily lives, the daily lives of your various NPCs, and the daily life of the city.

Like exactly. Having players get a modest bonus for hanging with each other pays significant dividends, and if it makes it a little easier to get stress back then so what? Stress is fun to spend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's effortless to make a crews life harder though? If you want them more stressed, just make them more stressed, every single action roll is at gm discretion.

Bitd is not imo mechanically tight enough that an extra die on stress recovery will change anything meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In general i think the players right, because it happens in indeterminate between score time? Idk if there are any hard rules against it though