Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Fraser Simons has a cyberpunk-ish Blades hack coming to Kickstarter in a month or so. You may know him from his work on Veil, which is a highly idiosyncratic PbtA cyberpunk game. In this one, "a cyberpunk future we typically see in the genre was halted by changes in our climate."

https://plus.google.com/+FraserSimons/posts/Y6x8CodDQWB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

3. Reading, there's no public recourse to governance at all, is there? This is partly from the Radicals playbook, but having a friend on the council means you've swayed/blackmailed a noble family; there's no way of getting one of "your guys" on the council?

In my head-canon, there are these things called the Elector Deeds. A long time ago the right to select members to the Council (or maybe a different political group which has been totally forgotten) was delegated to specific important families, as signified by their physical domiciles. All written up on parchment, formal-like. The people who own these plots of land get to select the members. What could go wrong?

Now a long time later probably most of those homes are still owned by significant people, maybe? Are there just a few which have been converted into tenements because that district got overrun by working poor? Or -- oh hey Six Towers explicitly says it went through a change from prestigious to squatters. This could be a problem.

In Score 1 on page 205 of the rulebook, substitute "unimportant stash of old papers" for "war treasury." That's the record of the Elector Deeds. The rival has no idea what they have, it's just some old crap, you know how it is. Melchior needed rolling papers. I'm pretty sure you could seed a whole campaign out of this.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

PST posted:

Have you seen the BitD twitter accounts @DoskvolNews ‏ and @doskvolscores ‏

Oh hey thanks for the link!

mllaneza posted:

I just realized someone should be doing this for Spire. Unfortunately, it will probably fall on me and never happen.

I hand-rolled my Tweeting code but I could have just used https://cheapbotsdonequick.com and gotten the exact same effect. Their home page is a little bit light on details but this is a good writeup.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Sizable backer update today. Delivered:

Blades of the Jhereg play test material
Blades against Darkness pre-layout text
Coneycatchers pre-layout text
The Doomed pre-layout text
A bit of Rail Jacks material

So that’s cool! Haven’t read any of it yet.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

We got kinda lucky — the author piped up on the community forums talking about his reskin a month or so ago, and John Harper noticed. No objection here, it’s pretty good stuff.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

Thanks. The reason I ask, is that I'm envisioning a character who fled from Skovland during the war and spent some time in refugee camps on the way to Doskvol. I'd like to find a way to make that work with the setting. Maybe Skovland itself wasn't that plagued with ghosts and setting foot outside the city wasn't that dangerous?

In my campaign, I decided that Skovland's shamanistic traditions resulted in a much more effective means of drawing ghosts to arrays of standing stones, which was breaking down under Imperial occupation. But that'd allow for the kind of thing you're considering.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The advice given is all very good.

I wanna caution you that six PCs is a lot for a Blades game. Opposition doesn’t scale the way you may be used to in D&D; in a real sense a bigger group is just more resilient. It’s also harder to make sure everyone has a chance to contribute because you have to spread the time thinner. It’s not impossible to handle but don’t be surprised if they are more effective than you might expect.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Are there any recent BitD hacks that folks would recommend?

The Hunted is a couple years old but as a pure improv folk horror one-shot, it’s superb and it does some interesting things around using improv and lore creation as an integral part of the action roll.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's pure groggy OSR tripe, so thankfully no overlap. Theoretically some of the random tables might not be completely useless for BitD, I guess.

Haven’t read Troika, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Aesthetically and tonally, Troika is great. Really unique stuff, more of the industry needs to be willing to be that weird. Mechanically... well, it's a pretty generic resolution system plus an initiative system that seems like it's more clever than good. I haven't looked at Mothership, but judging by Troika's example Swyvers is probably going to be an inspiring read that mechanically doesn't add much.

Yeah, I can’t object to that characterization of the player facing mechanics. As it says on the Swyver tin: “a lightweight set of rules.”

Troika also doesn’t have terribly interesting GM-facing mechanics. Swyver might, if the Kickstarter promises prove out. For whatever reason, good world-generating mechanics often don’t get counted as mechanics, whether it’s Apocalypse World’s Fronts or Electric Bastionland’s district creation rules. We will see what Swyver can muster.