Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
It looks like he's also expanding the clocks to handle more situations that come up, which I think is pretty great. Both for random obstacles, long term goals, consequences that you eat if you don't want stress, everything.

Also, John's said that all the Dunwall playbooks can play with one another, which I think would be awesome. Crew of thieves plus one leviathan hunter or inspector or something could be awesome. (Kind of makes me think of City of Stairs a little, and then maybe I'll reskin it for running a group of conspirators for or against a government).

I sort of hope the skills don't get pared down too much, but I can be sold on that.

A bunch of friends of mine are way into this; we all want to play rather than run it, but I should just get us all to rotate GMing and get this ball rolling with the quickstart rules. I'm super excited for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Something I hope the full game goes into a bit more detail on is a clearer explanation of what separates Murder from Mayhem and when to call for the latter over the former. Is Mayhem strictly meant to be nonlethal brawling? If your intent is to kill in a fight do you ALWAYS use Murder?

I read it as using Mayhem for brawling, throwing down, and busting heads - fatal or not. Murder is knives from shadows, dedicated killing, finesse dueling, that kind of thing.

I agree that a little more clarity would be helpful.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
According to John, we're getting a new quickstart rule packet on (hopefully) Monday. It was supposed to be today, but turns out that he's doing a bigger system overhaul and more examples. Sweet!

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
So it looks like we're still going to be waiting a while for an update, but at least it'll me a much more substantial one than we'd otherwise be getting? So that's cool.

Which clearly just means it'll be full of terrible knock-on effects, but what can you do?

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

Realistically, the die rolling mechanic has gotten simpler, skills got better, and overall stuff has been added (like tier, holds, turf, etc), which are good. The only thing I don't like are how stress and consequences are done now, and I have a feeling they might get changed back or cleaned up anyway.

Yeah, I have a similar knee-jerk response to stress and consequences and such but I want to fiddle with them until I can really grasp how they work out in numbers before I talk about it on the G+ group that the author actually reads. He's been super good about taking feedback from there so far, so I share your feeling about them getting rolled back.

That said, I do kind of like how overindulging works now - if you wipe too much Stress, you've gone too far. :D

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

Yes, but PbtA (and now, BitD) seem particularly susceptible to terrible (and, for BitD, overwrought) game design. When you consider that BitD is all about "I DO CRIME," it almost makes me cringe to think of every Shadowrun GM who is going to try to pick the system and hack it into "Shadowrun, but with less rules, y'all."

I'm almost positive that the Kickstarter stretch-goal playsets included either a Cyberpunk set or a couple things that could easily be slapped together to make one go. So maybe there might be a decent-quality one out of the gate, anyway!

(Also, re: the other discussion in the thread, I could be in for a PbP game.)

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
It's very Blades-y out of the box, but there was also this goal (which is what caught my attention and made me buy into this immediately):

($135,000) Blades of the Jhereg: The underworld of Adrilankha is ruled by a council of five ruthless bosses, known as the Right Hand of the Jhereg. You and your crew of scoundrels have been given a tiny piece of turf and are expected to impress them with your greed and opportunism. Will you rise to power in the Organization or be strangled by your ambitious rivals?

Blades of the Jhereg is an official licensed supplement for Blades in the Dark featuring the world of Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, Taltos, etc.). The playset will include the character and crew types, NPCs, factions, situations, maps, and additional rules needed to play the exploits of a Jhereg criminal enterprise in Adrinlankha. Just remember to keep an eye out for that upstart Easterner. People say he's trouble. By John Harper (with editorial oversight from Steven Brust).

I'm specifically enjoying that Brust is involved with this one.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Over on the g+ community, John posted the revisions he made to the engagement roll, which look like he cleaned them up a bit. The extra examples also really help, I think.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
It looks like all the Special Armor abilities had a proactive use added to them (check to Push for an action) as well as the reactive consequence avoidance use, which is neat.

Also, Not To Be Trifled With got a bit of a nerf, which is probably fine.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

However, I just got to the Slide's always-detect-lies ability, and I'm sorely disappointed. This kind of poo poo is always a headache, and it just brutally undercuts a massive portion of social interaction, particularly in Victorian Crime World. Which is a massive dump on the very thing the Slide is supposed to be doing.

Was there any discussion of this whenever it was introduced? I notice it's in at least the last few drafts. Are there any particularly interesting house rules anyone's come up with to replace it?

I don't think that there was ever any really deep discussion about it, but I could have missed it.

While I see where you're coming from in terms of just skipping out on a lot of social back and forth, I think that if the player is on the same page as the GM with it, a balance could be struck? For instance, I think that if all it does is just tell the Slide "this person is lying in their statement" then it's still up to the Slide to determine what part of the sentence is a lie. Sure, they could start to try and drag the discussion into very clear yes-no statements, but I think any number of people will see what's happening there and refuse to engage.

Also, it means that I can have Lying Cat as a PC, so that's pretty great.

Edit to add: I suppose that it could be changed to "push yourself to be able to tell if anyone you are speaking with is lying for a scene" though, and it wouldn't be too bad that way.

Dzurlord fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
So I'm running a game for the first time. It's going okay so far, and some of my players are really diving into being able to build out portions of the world - there's a thriving Iruvian immigrant community now, and contrasting it with the Red Sashes and the Iruvian Embassy is great. The Whisper from the Dagger Isles is also going nuts with ghost stuff and demon stuff and nautical stuff.

And that's all good. I stress about them having a good time and this game actually being, like, good? But that's normal for me.

BUT LAST GAME HOLY poo poo.

Okay so they were trying to expand out and tick off their first little square of turf. Their Very Good Friend Bazso (who absolutely wasn't doing this for his own reasons, no) suggested that they go after these four Bluecoats who were operating out of a small little night patrol station. They were basically becoming straight-up extortionists hiding behind a badge, and were more or less a crew trying to hold down a couple blocks of ground. The players thought this was a grand idea (gently caress the police!) and were off.

In the middle of the beatdown, our Cutter had busted out Not To Be Trifled With and was wading in with her Fine Heavy Weapon and rolled a success with a consequence. She dropped three of the goons but for a consequence I rolled with that she unintentionally caught one of them in the throat with the wooden haft of her weapon and outright killed him. She declined to resist the consequence.

Some weirdness happened re: ghosts and a lack of death bell, but it basically came down to the six of them standing around in their new little patch of turf looking at a body which was stunningly intact. And that all was okay for me, I'm thinking "okay, this is an alright place to wrap" and then their Slide looks up and says, "We're gonna Burke and Hare this" and their Lurk says "can I have a flashback to have stashed a small handcart in the alley we already established was behind their building" and their Hunter says "I have this physicker as a favored contact, can I say that he's a medical student or something at the University" and they instantly decided that they wanted to roll immediately into a score where they want to sell/trade/something this shiny fresh cadaver to their doctor friend. While the theme to Smokey and the Bandit plays.

...I love this game so much. This is so loving awesome. I have no idea what I'm going to plan for the next session but it needs to be so over the top and this is the best.