Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hey, any good resources for making maps for Beam Saber? I have no graphic design skill nor any idea where to start. I would like to avoid Paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anybody have opinions on Beam Saber?

It's brilliant and does everything I wish Lancer did, but better IMHO since I'm not a tactical combat fan. Very easy to turn into Ace Combat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

What does Ace Combat mean in this context?

Basically, it's a game series where the narrative arc is always the same: Start as a relative nobody in a losing war, do badass poo poo on the frontlines through operations of increasing size, scope and danger while facing a rival squadron at key points and oh, the enemy has ridiculous superweapons. It ends with the player character/squadron being hailed as indestructible gods of the battlefield who changed the course of history, at least until the next game.

Beam Saber does this through the standard Forged in the Dark ruleset expanding not just the actual narrative power of the player characters but through their rep and relations with other units. Rivals can be declared at any time by the players, and they're more dangerous and also plot immune until players expend "Drive" clocks, which is basically like, wiping these guys out is, in this moment, more important than my goddamn life goals.

Beam Saber is also not constrained by just being mechs. You can have people in fighter jets or as a loving biker gang, the vehicle side of things is very flexible. I'm running a game now where the players have - An intel/recon van, a diplomatic limo, a halftrack weapons carrier, a motorbike with psychically controlled arms and a centaur mech with a beam lance that can transform into a giant knight. Mission parameters can let each one have more or less screen time on a per session basis, and the more admin characters can do a lot via flashbacks and other cool poo poo. Honestly, if I can find the players, I might run something in the style of Legend of Galactic Heroes in the system.

Like any Forged in the Dark system though, if the GM or the players aren't invested in the spirit of the game, they'll fall off of it quite easily. Scum & Villainy is very easy to get into for example, because it's Star Wars. Blades is also fairly good, since it's just small scale kinda medieval cutthroat poo poo. Stuff like Band of Blades or Beam Saber feel a lot more reliant on knowledge of relevant touchstones and clear communication of expectations from the start. Narrative combat in general needs a decent base of knowledge and flexibility for interesting situations, and that's doubly true for more combat centric games and even more so for vehicular combat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Also, if you want to jump from Lancer, Beam Saber exists. It’s pretty alright.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The way I see it, the players say what they want to do narratively and the GM works with them to see what attribute would fit. If the player wants their character to engage in a gunfight, then unless they narratively describe it in another way, that’ll be a skirmish roll. If in the narrative, the guy is walking towards you, odds are you can’t just teleport behind them. It’s the GM’s role to make sure everyone’s on the same page as to the physics of the scene.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have my players explain their action and then I say “that sounds like you’re swaying him.” And give them an opportunity to correct me as in, “No, I’m actually trying to puff myself up and come in with a gruff approach. It’s more of an order, not a question.” And then I’ll give them command.

I like this style for a lot of things. For example when we do experience I’ll let them talk me into extra points for some of the “I used my heritage/Vice/etc.” This has slowly encouraged them to think more about how they’re playing their character and has given a bit more uniqueness to each player.

I think in the end I like my style to be “appear firm, be soft.” I tried even letting my players describe more of the world that you would in like a 5E and it really threw them so I gave up on giving them those opportunities. For example, a player asked “is there a building next to this one that’s the same height or higher [to try some sneaky stuff]?” I offered to let them say “yes there is.” And other similar things. After a few of these rolls I could tell they didn’t like this, even for minor, pretty inconsequential decisions. Might vary by group but my players definitely want to feel like they’re “versus” me (as the world) and don’t want to be given any cheat codes to short circuit that interaction. Letting them convince me of an action or something like that, though, still gives them the satisfaction of having earned whatever they’re trying to do.

Yeah, exactly. In a Beam Saber game I run, one of my players (whose vehicle is a sentient Green Goblin glider) wanted to take out a pair of fighter jets taking off from a mountaintop runway and couldn't think of how they'd do it. I said, "sure, take a moment, let's fill out the scene while you think" and asked the other players what kind of stuff would be on a runway. So anyway they ended up jousting the fighter jets using ladders they'd ripped off of fire trucks. You have to say no sometimes, or things have to be harsh occasionally, but it's gotta be a conversation between the players and the GM. "No, but" is perfectly valid.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I was amazed by how little I had to do as the GM for Band of Blades downtime. It was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I much prefer the harm system in Wicked Ones being tied to your stats, it's so much easier to both track and conceptualise than the default FitD harm table. Also not a fan of verb overlap when it invariably becomes "oh i'll just pick the one with more dice"