Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
A few questions, settingwise, on BITD:

1. The Dagger Isles are all imperial, right?

2. Deathlands presumably aren't immediately fatal but are perilous. If you were planning a mission outside the city walls, just how bad is it? Is it just dark and full of demon-wolves or is it actively toxic?

3. Reading, there's no public recourse to governance at all, is there? This is partly from the Radicals playbook, but having a friend on the council means you've swayed/blackmailed a noble family; there's no way of getting one of "your guys" on the council?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

You could do a quick read of ghost lines on John’s website for a little more clarity on this.
I think the main thing is that the spirit wells outside of cities can get totally out of control.

There's mention of "Choking fog" and the fact Bulls wear breather masks, so it seems likely that the deathlands are actually actively toxic even if you feel like trying your luck outside the walls.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shockeh posted:

It's a fairly obvious, pretty hand-waved 'Look, you can go out there, but in general, players are not supposed to, so explain to them you can expect to probably die out there'.

Like, it doesn't really matter whether it's Mad Max roving bandits, clouds of deathfog, horribly mutated wildlife or demons, it's a general 'You need to deal with the poo poo you cause in the City' area.

The thing is it is relevant to the Smugglers and is relevance-adjacent to Cults and Hawkers.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, it's intended to keep play in the city (it's a toxic, barren wasteland so you can't actually escape the city for long), but we also know enough about the deathlands that "find a maintenance gate to deathwalk from neighbourhood A to B via the outside" is a totally viable plan. The ghosts and the toxic air that requires pressurised, powered breathing apparatuses are just things that you can make clocks out of.

Yeah, for sure, I just wasn't sure from reading if it was a case that it's literally toxic or if it was mad max. I got my answer to that from Ghost Lines, I just couldn't find out much in the book.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm not sure why in an industry that's spent years being functionally a hobby for a significant proportion of it, people are surprised or shocked that it's partly a hobby.

Subjunctive posted:

Support it with his efforts? idgi

He liked the games other people made so he wrote stuff for them for free. He's asked other people, several of whom he's done so before, to do the same for him.

This is what a hobbyist industry looks like. Look at how internet artists, even ones who work for commission, draw fanart or bonus works of each other's characters because they like the design.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flavivirus posted:

Funnily enough one of my Legacy 2 stretch goal writers said they were wondering why John Harper never responded to their pitch for a BitD stretch goal, but now they realise their crucial mistake was asking what the rates were.

Okay, that's pretty dodgy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

admanb posted:

Marielda is a good arc but it's an unusual example of Blades because they are so bad at it.

I'm curious how you mean?

Or, do you mean how the players keep forgetting they have flashbacks and failing to come up with good engagement plans? Because, fair.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

SkySteak posted:

Just posting here as I realized that I'm asking questions in the TG Chat far more relevant for this own thread! I was told that the spin off for BiTD, Scum & Villainy can be essentially standalone to the original BiTD book. Would it be wise however to attempt to run a game of S&V without having touched BiTD itself? Part of me feels like just skipping the original book is potentially risking skipping a lot of context and understanding, but perhaps I am wrong!

It's its own game and line using the same core mechanics. You're no more missing out on BITD than you would be missing out on Apocalypse World by playing The Sprawl or something.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Glazius posted:

Ehhhhh.

The thing with a lot of post-AW games is that their creators have often internalized a lot of things AW is more explicit about; for example, how to adjudicate moves or pace GMing and present threats. So much so that their follow-on hacks include the complete mechanical rules but don't really include that information to the level of detail a newbie would need to run them full AW-style.

I can report that Scum and Villany is fine standalone, there's plenty of advice for how to GM, largely because there's a whole bunch of new skills and scenarios to GM for.

I think the Sprawl does a good job of explaining itself and it's intended mode of play, though, which is one of the reasons I went for that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Okay, so, stumbled on the turf/claim rules. I didn't appreciate that turf and claims are (maybe?) totally seperate things, but on a closer re-read, they seem to be; the segment on Claims notes "some claims count as turf", suggesting they're not the same. But, I'm also not sure how to acquire turf, since it's noted to be "a way you can expand", but the process for taking claims is it's own thing for claims specifically that turf doesn't seem to reference? Basically, is the intent that turf is a subset of claims, or is turf it's own seperate thing?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I think Blades does explain itself a lot better than most games; there's just a lot of internalised D&D out there. Most people don't learn D&D from the book, remember; most people get taught it by friends.

But, yeah, blades SUPER likes to have a map, even if it's just a sketch. Having the information needed to play the game in front of people is more important in Blades than most games, IMO.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

My opinion on the FatT Blades game was that Austin went in loving hard whenever someone had consequences to suffer; your personal judgement on how much risk is in a roll and how much resistance deals with it matters a lot!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

tokenbrownguy posted:

Blades PCs are durable as hell. If the MC moderates their punches, they'll have little trouble rebounding.

There's "moderating the punches" and there's the Marielda thing where failed rolls lead to total collapse of everything all the time, to be fair. I love Marielda but Austin went in hard.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'll vouch for maps; I think it's much easier for players to have a sense of where things are in relation to each other with a map; without you can get a bit confusing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The confusion comes in with the "You can use foo (but bar might be better)" examples. Where actions have semeingly overlapping remits it's often inobvious why one might be better and cases in good faith could be made for several skills. From that point of view compressing the list helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

to go back to wicked ones imploding - did the undead book ever come out or is that gone forever now?