Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
As someone also looking to gm for the first time (aside from a failed attempt back in 2021) I was wondering how much of the system/setting I should try and get the players to learn before running a session. Asking them to read the fairly robust rulebook seems like a lot, but at the same time the rules and the world have enough to them that it'd be hard to jump straight into the action and teach on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Ran my first session last night, it went pretty well! Thanks for all the helpful advice, I think keeping the setting explanations short and sweet and then addressing details as they came up was the right move. Everyone pretty quickly got into the swing of things and we managed to wrap up the first score of planting cursed dice in a red sash gambling den before the end of the night, with a few hanging threads that I'm excited to chase up on. I think the only real issues were that I pretty much ignored position and effect in order to keep up momentum, and that I could of pulled my punches less against the PCs; between their pretty high chance of success by default and resistance rolls they can take a lot more punishment than I expected. Overall I think everyone had good fun, and the players seemed to appreciate the more freeflowing rules than what they'd absorbed about RPGs through cultural osmosis.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The above situation is currently occuring in my game, although I'm aiming for it to become a source of controversy that they're two timing eldritch gods; I feel like the various types of vice are mainly there as prompts to get people's brains working, and especially to get them to broaden their idea of a vice to more than drugs, drink, and gambling.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Do people have advice on how to run the free play part of the game in general? My players and I are all pretty much brand new to actually playing ttrpgs, and going into the fourth session tomorrow I've noticed that while things flow pretty smoothly once we're running a score with a clear objective, when we switch to free play things can get quite aimless and I end up having to use a somewhat heavy hand guiding the players towards the next score.