Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
John answered that on G+:

quote:

Think of it this way.

"I kill him."
"Um, okay. How do you do that?"
"I channel a million volts of electroplasm through his skull."
"Whoa. Okay. Attune then, eh:?"

"I kill him."
"Okay. What do you do?"
"I smash him over the head with a chair and shove him out the window. I'm rolling Mayhem."

"I kill him."
"Okay, how?"
"I step in close and put my blade through his throat. I Murder him."

Murder is murder. It's definitely the action you want if you want to kill someone smoothly and quickly, leaving a minimum of evidence and suspicion. But you can kill someone in a variety of ways, using various actions, depending on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

About 5-7 days from now, roughly.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They're doing a stream of Blades on Adam's Twitch channel. He'll probably put it up on John's Youtube after or maybe his own.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Version 3F of the Quickstart is up if you're a backer. Haven't had time to really look it over.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

New Blades v6 out. John was sick for most of February so a lot of his milestones got pushed back to March. I haven't had a chance to look it over, but changelog:

CHANGELOG V6
1. Example of NPC taking action against a PC. See page 23.
2. Players' Best Practices. See page 25.
3. Write-ups for the factions of the Criminal Underworld. See pages 46-49. All of the factions
will have write-ups like this in the full book.
4. A guide to supernatural forces. Guidelines for arcane magnitude and stress costs. See page 61.
5. Rules for Rituals. See page 62.
6. Rules for Alchemy. See page 63. The Leech playbook has been tweaked a bit to suit.
7. New playbook: The Hull. Now you can play a spirit-powered automaton. See page 65.
8. New playbook The Vampire. Now you can play a spirit inside an undead corpse. See page 66.
9. Modified the Thieves crew ability Everyone Steals. I tweaked it to be less finicky, and to
match the similar abilities on other crews.
10.Four new criminal factions! The Billhooks, The Gray Cloaks, The Grinders, and The Wraiths.
Special thanks to Adam Schwaninger for the faction names.
11.Random generators for streets, buildings, people, and devils (ghosts, demons, etc.). See pages
67, 73, and 74.
12.I wanted to incorporate the original name of the city—Doskvol—so I did! I like it because it
helps show that the city is very old (pre-dating the current common language) and I also like the
implied double meaning—both "the Dosk River valley" and "the Dark Veil." Like most old cities,
Doskvol has collected many names, including the nautical name North Hook and the modern
nickname: Duskwall (or simply "The Dusk"). So you can still use the nickname in your games if
you don't want to change what you're calling it. But Doskvol is what the Imperial Cartographer
prints on her maps.
13.You’ll find some other new odds and ends throughout, some of which aren’t fully complete. I
wanted to get this update out to you now so I left some things undone, but I figured you might
like to see more of what’s coming.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope, highly unlikely they would be. If they're from the author that's just delaying the main book for no good reason (assuming it's not held up in outsourced stuff: editing, layout, printing, etc).

From other people... Unlikely since they're gonna wanna wait for a lot of stuff until it's officially Done so they don't waste time on something that gets totally changed from feedback or whatever.

Not that it can't happen, and I'm sure it has, but I just wouldn't expect it at all.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

John is going live right now with a Blades Developement AMA on Twitch.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah it's one of those things that's not explicitly defined except that noble houses have leviathan hunters, it's an extremely lucrative trade, and leviathans are badasses. All of which points to it being a valuable resource. The city needs electricity and ghost lights for its infrastructure (due to lack of sunlight) but individuals are unlikely to be able to afford it. Someone with electricity in their house or business is a mark of success.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also just hustling them along and letting them use flashbacks can help a lot if the game is dragging. Just saying "Okay, you've got <a target/job>, so just go ahead and pick an approach and give me the detail. You can always flashback when something unexpected comes up if you need!". On the other hand if there's lots of roleplaying going on and everyone is having a good time, there's not a need to rush to the next job.

You could also bring the job to them. Have things they've done in the past come back to haunt them or claim their due. Put a clock on the job and let them know that they've got time to do things, but not a lot of time to gently caress around. You're not looking to punish them, just motivate them to move onward.

Also keep in mind this rule:

pg36 posted:

Each attempt to gather information takes time. If the situation allows, you can try again if you don’t initially get all the info that you want. But often, the opportunity is fleeting, and you’ll only get one chance to roll for that particular question.

So if they're trying to eek out information, you can just say they've learned all they can about that particular aspect. And/or show the passage of time, or consequences of the rolls. Also you could set up an Investigation Clock (again page 36) since they're expending a lot of time/resources working at, which then makes it a Downtime Activity and so they're going to need to spend Coin/Rep to work on it more if they want.

Which Gathering Information doesn't have a cost (besides roll results) since it's not a Downtime Activity normally.

pg153 posted:

Activities on the downtime list are limited; normal actions are not. During downtime, you can still go places, do things, make action rolls, gather information, talk with other characters, etc. In other words, only activities that are on the list are limited

Basically I favor just answering some questions and trying to move them onto the job if they're not doing any interesting/fun roleplay.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'm just hoping John releases the U'Duasha stuff as a PDF. Didn't even realize that was part of the SE since I tend to ignore physical rewards. Though with the form factor and style of Blades' SE I almost wish I had gotten it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, but not at the SE level, since I didn't want any physical rewards. I'm in the:

quote:

THE INFILTRATOR: You get the Quick Start PDF, a PDF copy of the complete game when it launches, and credit in the book. You also get all the additional PDF content unlocked over the run of this Kickstarter campaign, plus a code for a softcover POD version of the book at cost.

John just replied with "Maybe" on twitter though, so there's hope at least!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Scum and Villainy 1.6 is out by the way. Same link as in the original Kickstarter post for it (or DriveThru if you bought it there).

quote:

Hey Folks.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Scum & Villainy v1.6 is out!

What's the differences in 1.6?
It's got 22 new pages, some rules clarifications, 2 new ships, rules updates for final Blades release, a ton more examples, and some world building. Aside from full faction plates, this should be everything new that's coming in the core S&V text.

Where can I get it?
If you're a backer, you should be able to go back to the release link and the files will be updated.

If you got it on DriveThru you can you should have gotten an email notifying you of updates, but if that got spam-boxed or whatnot, you can go to Drivethru, log in and download the new files (either from your library or from the product page).

What's next?
John LL and I will be prioritizing Band of Blades work next till there's a playable alpha/beta. So expect more news on that this month.

For S&V we'll be working on 1.7 which will mostly be incorporating existing blades rules into the text (still waiting on the SRD) so that S&V becomes standalone - and finishing up the remainder of the faction plates. Though that's a ways off (largely because it's a ton of text).

We made a chunk of stuff for our home game that we're talking about releasing as a small expansion this summer (not sure if folks are interested though).

See you around space cowboys. Tell me what you think of the new ships!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mentioned this in the Shadowrun thread, but anyone looking for a more narrative Shadowrun there is an in-progress Blades hack that seems pretty solid.
Runners in the Shadows (Direct link to PDF). It's rough around the edges, but seems totally playable.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There are already gobs of hacks posted on the G+ page. John is currently working on nailing down what is in the SRD and releasing it. You can get some pretty big thematic shifts just by messing with the Stress/Trauma tracks, and what kind of currencies you're working with. As well as what goals the crews are after. Plus the kickstarter unlocked something like a zillion hacks.

Talk about the SRD.

quote:

I'm working on the SRD with John now (it's almost ready). Here's the skinny so far. All core rules are in. All of Doskvol (including playbooks, ghosts, and all that business is out), except that we give some example moves culled from the playbooks as examples. GMing and playing advice is also out, but it will be included in a separate doc that can't be reproduced but will freely be available as a general "guide" to making Powered by Blades games.

So, specifics:

1.) There will be a generic playbook and lots of examples pulled from existing moves, but all the playbooks (and crews) are out.

2. Yep, the Bodyguard move will be there as an example and it will be intact (we're just pulling moves that are too woven into the setting).

3. Explanatory text will be there (how to use the protect action) but advice text (what a GM should say) won't be in the SRD, though it will be free as reference.

Yep, all things settings are out, but we did leave in a few examples (often with the names changed or removed) to help walk folks through things. The savvy reader can probably pick up a few tidbits from the Dusk.

quote:

yep, what we have in the SRD will be what's available for reproduction. Just like you don't see Beholder or the Mind Flayer in the d20 SRD, we'll have a few abilities that are closely enough tied to the setting they can't be re-used. Those are are pretty few and far between though. I think I only pulled out 2-3 from the entire list of character abilities. Going through crews now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Last John said, nope. They had a limited number of them for backers and presumably some extras for friends or mistakes or whatever. But chances of them ever selling it again are slim for multiple reasons (kickstarter exclusivity and printing run costs being two big ones). Secondhand or bust sadly.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So some of those emergency overstocks they had for the Special Edition are up for sale. No international shipping for it, though there are services you can use. More info here.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

This is the core gameplay loop. Free Play -> Engagement Roll -> Score -> Downtime.

So you finish a Score then:
  • Payoff, get Coin & Rep for the Score
  • Generate Heat based on how the Score went
  • Roll for Entanglements, someone's always out to get you.
  • Downtime Activities:
    • You get two of these per Score
    • You can do the same one twice
    • Spend 1 Coin or 1 Rep to get additional Activities
    • Only these consume an Activity: Acquire Asset, Long-Term Project, Recover, Reduce Heat, Train, Indulge Vice. Everything else can be done freely.

So it's a very mechanics driven section of the game still. Free play is where you discuss who you want to hit next, figure out How you want to hit them, then provide the Detail and move into the Engagement roll.

The "realm-management mini-game" is done through Scores as well. You run a Score that results in you gaining a Turf or you can also run a Score that results in you gaining a Claim. Claims are listed on the Crew Sheet, and you generally follow the connected paths therein claiming things as you go. Claims have an actual mechanical benefit beyond the fictional benefit. Turfs do too, but it's "just" "permanent" Rep. If you want to skip to another section of the Claim Map, it'll be more difficult and likely require multiple Operations or Long Term Projects to discover and then Claim it.

Beyond that, the other thing that keeps the city moving is GM Clocks. Factions work on projects and if you're not interfering with (or helping) them, they're still going to advance those clocks while you're off doing your own thing. That'll impact the fiction, but isn't going to directly have a mechanical side besides maybe making some Fortune rolls to see how well they do. Or when they come calling to take something of the Crew's.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, that's the key. Getting people to lean on Flashbacks. Get them to watch some Leverage or Ocean's movies and see how they're about to be hosed... except flashback to where they anticipated this very thing. That and Load where you don't even need to figure out what items you brought with you until you need them.

Basically free play should involve cool roleplaying scenes. If no one has any cool roleplaying scenes they want to [edit]explore[/edit], then you quickly discuss Who you want to Hit. Once it's pretty clear they've picked the Who, ask them for the How and the Detail and then just go right into the Engagement Roll. If they want some more specific info they can Gather Information, but don't let them keep rolling for the same bit of information or just get caught trying to figure out every aspect of a plan ala Shadowrun.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 23, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Don't think I've seen it mentioned here before, but another hack to keep your eyes on: A Nocturne.

quote:

The future of humanity was the spitter craft. It took us to distant stars, flung us out into the starry nothing. We formed the Panhuman Diaspora. We thought ourselves an evolved species.

We aren't.

Wars, greed, isolation, suffering; all of these still exist, and we the spitter crew exist for one reason only: to exploit it all. What will we do, out here in the blackness of space, just to turn a profit? Oh, don't worry. No-one's watching. Promise.

A NOCTURNE is a hard sci-fi RPG that casts the players as the crew of an interstellar spitter craft - a vast, weird, scarred old spaceship - and charges them with a simple task: make Profit by any means necessary. Will they be smugglers and thieves? Scavengers? Diplomats? Con artists? Or mere war-criminals, leaving nothing but dust in their wake? Will they let their Damage consume them and their craft, or will they rise above it and retire to some peaceful world, rich as kings? Will they even survive 'til the next inhabited system?

We play to find out what happens.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you drop the engagement roll then you're just arbitrarily deciding how the engagement starts. So... don't really have much to rewrite, but there's also not a compelling reason to drop it since it helps push play along and helps you frame how the Score starts.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I feel like you're thinking the Engagement roll is something it's not.

Prior to the Engagement roll: Discussion on who to hit. Likely they start discussing HOW they want to hit the target too. After a bit you go "sounds like you're trying to do an assault on the Iruvian's, what's the point of attack?" "Hitting their treasury cart as it drives on it's route." "Sounds good, let's do the engagement roll!"

Without Engagement roll:
You creep up on the overhang just as the Iruvian consulate treasury cart is driving by, there's two bored guards riding in the back. What do you do?

With Engagement roll:
1-3: You creep up on the overhang just as the Iruvian consulate treasury cart is driving by, unfortunately the guards are armed to the teeth and looking ready for a fight. You can still jump on, but it's not going to be pretty, what do you do?

4/5: As without.

6: You creep up on the overhang just as the Iruvian consulate treasury cart is driving by, you're in luck that they're short staffed today and the guard is asleep. What do you do?

Crit: You creep up on the overhang just as the Iruvian consulate treasury cart is driving by, you got a crit here, so narrate how you handle getting onto the cart and dealing with the sleeping guard.

There's not much you're missing out on here. Roleplaying or gameplay wise. You're either coming up with bits of how the route is approached or asking your players to provide a bit more setting dressing (an overhang vs an alleyway vs a rooftop etc) or just asking them how they go about physically moving across a city which is rarely worth talking about. So what gameplay are you cutting out, especially with the Engagement roll vs just the whole concept of cutting planning short?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not yet. John moved a couple months ago and just dealing with Life so progress has been slower. He said a couple weeks ago he's still working on it and the website though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Glow in the Dark just came out. Scum and Villainy is waiting on the SRD for the final push but is largely complete. And the game was just finished in Feb of this year, that's nowhere near 2 years.

Yeah moving and getting married definitely cut into his time the past few months, so the SRD/website are absolutely behind. Leech and Spider are long since done, Vigilantes is done.
John has to deal with:
Bluecoats which he wasn't happy with and went back to the drawing board on.
The Ghost Lines: As of July " John has a new engagement roll drafted as well an initial playbook."
Null Vector: "Playbooks drafted. Estimates to follow the release of Ghost Lines and Bluecoats."
Blades of the Jhereg wasn't even mentioned, so that's a bit odd.

Everything else is other author's responsibilities and also had some update in the July post. Most of which were supposed to have worked started in earnest this Fall, so I wouldn't expect anything until early next year. Given that they had to wait for Blades to be Done before they could really get to work.

There's also far along playtests of:
A Nocturne
Copperhead County
Girl by Moonlight
Runners in the Shadows

Just off the top of my head.

Oh and U'Duasha is getting some form of digital release for non-Deluxe owners.

But yeah, I mean RPG kickstarters can take a long time to fulfill. John's done a solid job for his first run at it, but it's no Kevin Crawford well oiled machine for sure.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's awesome

Sean posted:

I just sent an email to John about it. The SRD is done and we've got in on the blades site. We just need to do some DNS work and we can launch it. Some of the licencing bits will still be forthcoming, but the SRD is done.

The things they're offering for hacks sounds fantastic as well. He explicitly says they prefer plain text, meaning you can focus your time on making an interesting game and less on the fiddly bits of making a product.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

quote:

Will this project be on Backerkit or Pledgemanger?
No. We do not use either service. We mark down our projects and ensure backers get the product first as a reward for their increased risk and faith. After the Kickstarter project is complete the budget is complete and people can order the product when it is complete. Folks outside of the U.S will be able to order from Samjokopublishing.com when it is available. U.S residents will be able to order from Indie Press Revolution.

Yeah that's a shame. Does look interesting. The art looks great, little wary of it being by the same people as the Veil but I'm cautiously optimistic. Estimated delivery is Jan 2019, so we're way out on this project. And sounds like they have a lot of work left to do based on the updates I skimmed. So I wouldn't be surprised by a decent delay (but this isn't also their first effort, so maybe not).

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 22, 2018

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Working fine here, the Drive link for the main rules is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUUqq-04qNdFbDvwZIfgObpzhjWpawS5/view

Characters: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17MmYAY_3rW-KTUG7U_X5ESpPtrYTQu29?usp=sharing

Teams: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TmJVPofp2zZCJEqH0Ny8K-5wQCqGogV0?usp=sharing

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope. Band of Blades is still private beta only as far as I know. Only public stuff has been a couple con games/the YouTube videos. That said:

https://twitter.com/strasa/status/1000063364293275648

I imagine that's BoB related.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also re: stretch goals, someone called out John on the G+ and he had this to say:

John Harper posted:

I can't force other authors to produce content. I can only control my own work.

I'm delivering 100% of the stretch goals that I have direct control over. They're taking a long time. If I could produce them any faster I absolutely would.

IF any of the authors of the other stretch goals bow out of their commitments, I will replace them with other authors so those stretch goals will be completed.

When I said that thing about "not an ironclad promise" I meant that those particular authors might not actually deliver on the work. I can't force them to. But if they don't, I will make good on the stretch goal in any way I can.

I hope that's clear.

Which is pretty much what we all figured anyways.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/strasa/status/1002063528230965248

Backer download is up at http://bladesinthedark.com

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 31, 2018

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

quote:

Greetings Scoundrels,

We're half way through 2018 so it's time for an update on stretch goals! Here's how they are coming along:

The Leech - Complete!
The Ghost Lines - Alpha version, in development after Bluecoats.
Broken Crown - Development update pending.
Bluecoats of the Watch - Internal playtesting now. You can see a few of our games here.
The Spider - Complete!
Band of Blades - Beta draft available now in the Backer Downloads at baldesinthedark.com
Fully Illustrated Maps - Complete! Available in the Backer Downloads and additional maps are on Ryan's Patreon.
Moon Over Bourbon Street - Recruiting a new author now.
Leviathan Song - In active development now through September 2018.
Grifters - Project taken over by Rob Donoghue. Developing the outline through July 2018.
Vigilantes - Complete!
Blades Against Darkness - Incorporating playtest feedback now. Revisions though August 2018.
Sparrow's Folly - Development update pending.
Null Vector - Alpha version, in development after Bluecoats.
The Doomed - First draft and internal playtesting through August 2018.
Scum and Villainy - Complete. PDF available in the Backer Downloads. Physical copy pre-order open now.
Womb of Night - From Adam: "I have ignited the sacred herbs, observed the rituals of doom and am preparing to scribe the scrolls of lore." From Sean: "In development now through August 2018." You can tell why Canter and Arcy loved each other so much.
Coneycatchers - In development through August 2018.
Throne of the Void - Development pending.
Blades of the Jhereg - Development pending.
P38: Blood on the Streets - Development update pending.
Thanks as always for your continued support! In addition to these stretch goals you can find more games Forged in the Dark on the Fan Creation page and the G+ Community.

Also yeah, we do need to have the rules reprinted. For the cross-referencing issue as well as the fact that there's gonna be people who haven't ever played Blades who find and buy/play these games. And that's totally fine and should be supported. Not to mention that some of them can make tweaks to those rules.

Also another hack:

In Which We Live and Breath a heavily Shadowrun influenced game. Looks good so far and is in active development by Ashton McAllan.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 15, 2018

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah those are totally fair criticisms, I hadn't really gotten a chance to finish reading it. On the bright side, it's in active development and you can hit her up on Twitter or whatever and point those things out if you care enough!

I'm a sucker for Shadowrun related stuff, so I'd love to see it succeed eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

2018 End of Year Update

quote:

• Broken Crown - Taken over by Sean Nittner. Will you play turncoats from the Emperor's own Quicksilver Guard, rivals who have bound themselves to the demon Setarra, or explorers who traveled to the broken gates of death to learn the Emperor's weakness? In development now!
  • City of Red Waters (was Moon Over Bourbon Street) - Alpha playtest by Ash McAllan complete. We're creating crew sheets now and we'll release them early 2019.
  • The Doomed - Alpha draft scheduled for submission in January 2019.
  • Bluecoats of the Watch - Development currently paused and will pick back up in early 2019.
  • The Ghost Lines - Alpha version, in development after Bluecoats.
  • Null Vector - Alpha version in development after Bluecoats.
  • Womb of Night - Alpha draft turned in by Adam Koebel. We're putting the playbooks into layout and will release it early 2019.
  • Coneycatchers - Draft is 93% complete (only missing some example text and faction details). Going into layout and releasing a draft in early 2019.
  • Throne of the Void - Alpha playtest draft will be ready by GoPlay NW 2019.
  • P38: Blood on the Streets - Draft expected in January 2019.
  • Blades of the Jhereg - Development pending.
  • Iron Edda: War of Mist and Blood - Work in progress here.

So some interesting stuff coming in Q1 it sounds like. Still looking forward to it even if I'm not hype anymore.

Oh and the Grifters supplement with crew and con jobs is out in the backer downloads!

[edit]

quote:

City of Red Waters, by Ash McAllan - Draft coming out in our next update (#66).
Womb of Night, by Adam Koebel - Draft coming out in update #67.
Coneycatchers, by Jason Morningstar - Draft coming out in update #68.
Leviathan Song, by Jonathan Walton - Draft coming out in update #69.
[/edit]

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 1, 2019