Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
If you do prepared maps in blades they have to be massive and you have to sweep everything off the table dramatically before unrolling them.
You may use figures to represent the players, BUT they have to be salt shakers, ketchup bottles, other people's half empty mugs etc.
I'm pretty sure this is all in the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BlurryMystr posted:

I'm running Scum & Villainy for my group and they're about to participate in a big race, courtesy of the Echo Wave Riders. Only one character is actually in the race; the others will be pulling a job while everyone is distracted. I want to find a way to use clocks to make the race feel exciting and give the feeling of jockeying for position.

My current idea is this:

* A "FINISH LINE" clock that represents the end of the race. When it fills, someone has crossed the finish line and the race is over. I will not remove ticks from this clock as a consequence of a roll.
* A "FIRST PLACE" clock that represents the PC's position. As long as the clock is full, the PC is in first place. I can remove ticks from this clock as a consequence.

The PC will make rolls responding to different conditions in the race (reacting to hazards, making challenging maneuvers, hitting the afterburners to overtake another racer, etc.) and can choose to put their ticks towards either clock. So they can focus on gaining position early on at the risk of having to maintain that lead for longer, or wait to focus on position until later in the race at the risk of burning through Stress on the way there.

I think this will work for what I'm trying to do, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

The first place clock seems at odds with this just being a distraction. Is it just meant as a bonus (or trap?) for the speed hungry PC, or is the crew gaining some advantage from coming first? Really, it seems like it would be in the racing PC's best interest to just blow the race by causing a big pileup (or whatever the space equivalent is) and get everyone's attention.
Maybe put some special attention clocks on there. A Sebulba type who will take revenge if the PC is unsubtle about losing the race, a Jabba type who has the race absolutely rigged and won't tolerate deviation, a Dom Toretto type who will approach especially skilled PCs after the race and just will not shut up about family.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Really great advice in that post, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am thinking that a sort of homage to old school D&D where the characters are expected to basically create a fiefdom / faction with holdings and such could be very cool. The party can start out with a basic hideout and over time, they can decide if they want to make it something more grand like a manor, keep, fortress, wizard's tower, or secret lair.

That's a really cool pull, actually. All that stuff is just impossible to book-keep even if you're dedicated to the OSR ~aesthetic~, but marrying it to Blades makes a ton of sense.

If you don't want to go whole hog and do a full hack, I would recommend just making crewbooks/playbooks for each of the different stronghold types with generalized OSR mechanics. Or even just one master book with different abilities. That way you can just drop them into an ongoing OSR campaign and have fun with it instead of suddenly becoming a master book keeper.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

sebmojo posted:

My hawker players have spent several sessions setting up a previously haunted mansion to host a rave and sell their drugs at, what are some things I could have happen during the inaugural opening rave? Not wanting to plot it out obv, just wanting some happenings and left turns to throw in

A significant minority of ravers think the place is still haunted, and that they're really cool and brave for being at a haunted rave. As everyone gets higher and higher, their constant overdone reactions to mundane happenings get tiresome. They keep shushing the band to hear messages from beyond. Any amount of uppers gets them screaming at basically everything. A curtain flaps and one of them turns over the Big Drugs Table to have an impromptu seance.

Someone has brought a fake (probably fake, right?) deathseeker crow in a cage and they keep doing "wow the mood just died in here huh" style jokes.

Rumours start to circulate that some hard lads are having a shooting contest at midnight. Turns out its the intravenous drugs type of shooting, but everyone has been real loving oblique about that.

A very sad leviathan hunter turns up and is completely, inhumanly unable to get high off of any amount of drugs.

Uninvited eel pie merchant turns out to have Tier IV protection for his Tier 0 pies.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Admiralty Flag posted:

I take weird as anything that'll get looked down on society for one reason or another. If BitD were set in the late 80s, D&D would be a Weird vice.

I feel like the Weird vice HAS to be poo poo like this rather than some religious, supernatural or arcane practice. Because in Doskvol you might very reasonably do that kind of thing as part of your job already. Worshipping Cthulhu isn't "weird" when half the people down the docks have not only met Him, they've tied Him to a boat and drained His blood into barrels.

So it has to be, like, the Hound has a big dollhouse and is very particular about the furniture they stock it with. They spend most of their coin at the few woodworkers they haven't had terrific rows with over the details on an armoire you couldn't store a cigarette in. They once disappeared without notice for a week and came back with a thumb-sized futon. The Bluecoats once nabbed them on a B&E, but they got off lightly because all they'd taken was measurements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Demon_Corsair posted:

If the house and it’s furniture is perfect, then a ritual will bind the ghosts of x to happily play house in the doll house forever. As long as they get a regular amount of renovations done. Ghost heloc?

We ended up switching from blades to scum and villainy because the dark and serious tone clashed with the vibe of our group as well as the comic downward spiralling that happened every score.

Right but this is my issue with Weird as Supernatural. What you're describing would be a perfectly sensible (very cool!) long term project that a character could get up to in the world of Blades. Not a weird vice.

Of course, rules as written you're bang on. I just don't like that one of the Vice types seems like something you'd actually quite want someone in the party getting up to and the rest are stupid ways to let off steam.

Like, imagine a player in a Cult crew going to "Aranna the Blessed, cultist of a forgotten god" as their vice purveyor. You're already in a cult! It's not weird!