Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Just ran my session 0 last night and my players (who are very used to d&d) had a bit of trouble with the sheer amount of choices involved in setting up their crew, but we eventually made our way to a Slide, a Lurk, and a Whisper in a crew of Strange Shadows.

The Slide, knowing basically nothing about the starting scenario or the main players in it decided that Baszo Baz was a great name, latched onto him immediately, hell, he even hooked them up with their hidden lair! So, when we cut to the intro in his office, it was like meeting with dear old gang-dad to officially start their crew off right.

Offered both of the starting scores to them, and they figured "gently caress the Red Sashes, we'll take em both!"
Started with the artifact. The Whisper was desperate for information about it, and we decided that it was a red jeweled brooch that acted like a beacon for bad luck. Don't touch it with your bare hands.

The plan was deviously simple: act like nobodies interested in learning the Iruvian sash-fighting, take a tour of the academy, and stuff the brooch in a toilet stall: or "the king of all upper-deckers".

Snake eyes on the engagement roll.

The Slide, who was carrying the brooch, gets hit with some massive bad luck right at the outset. She spins this as "the need to get to the bathroom is now suddenly, terrifyingly Real."
She attempted to Command a tour guide to point her to the can, rolled a 4. Sharted a bit, pissed off the Sashes, and that guy is gonna remember her.
Stashed the brooch with another 5, but that odor lingered.

Meanwhile, the Lurk and the Whisper are trying to figure out a distraction, the Whisper rolls a 6 on a compel, summons the ghost of someone the Red Sashes murdered to just gently caress their poo poo up, ripping swords off the walls, knocking potted plants over, the whole 9 yards, while the Lurk did his best to just stick with the crowd and keep the Whisper from getting noticed while they all beat feet out of there, with the faint odor of poo poo the only thing in their wake.

As far as entanglements, the poltergeist that the Whisper summoned decided it really liked him and wanted to follow him home.

Despite my best efforts in setting the tone, it was easily the hardest my group has laughed during a session in months, and they went from not sure at all to absolutely loving the system, even if it was a bit less daring and a bit more slapstick.

That said, a question was brought up during play and I couldn't find an answer in the book- if a character has zero dots in an action rating, do they HAVE to get assistance/ push themselves/ take a Devil's Bargain just to roll it?
My gut reaction was "if you don't, you're basically rolling with disadvantage (roll two, take the lower), but I wasn't sure if there was an actual precedent set somewhere that I just couldn't find.

Also, what in the actual gently caress is a "Weird" Vice?
Two of my characters took a weird vice, and none of us could really come up with a suitable meaning for what that actually consists of, outside of the Ghostbusters blowjob scene. (Thankfully, the Lurk just likes playing craps.)
The book says "consorting with ghosts", but that's literally just the Whisper's job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU