Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Alright, so I've been working at my current job for 13 years, and for probably 8 of that I've worked with a guy named Mo (short for Mohammed). We've become very good friends.

He's from Egypt, but he's been in the US since 1976. Prior to coming here, he backpacked around Europe after sneaking out of Egypt to get out of compulsory military service. He's married to a very Irish Catholic woman. He's not a practicing Muslim himself, closer to agnostic I would say.

Now, even though he's not a practicing Muslim, he always half jokingly complains to me about how he has to celebrate Christmas and all these other Christian holidays, and no one ever recognizes his Islamic holidays.

From what I can tell, Ramadan starts this year on June 5th, and ends on July 5th? I've looked up what it's all about, and I pretty much get it for the most part, but I was hoping to get some input from someone on the inside, so to speak. I'd like to get Mo some kind of gift, so he knows someone is recognizing his holiday, I think he'd really appreciate it.

Sooo, I guess I'm looking for info about maybe traditional type things I could get him. Maybe try my hand at writing out a traditional greeting in a card, if there is one (like a Ramadan "Merry Christmas", I guess). Or when the best time to give the gift would be. I'd evn be willing to buy something directly from Egypt if there was some kind of suggestion there.

Anyway, any info at all is appreciated. Help me goons.

Also, I hope it isn't offensive relating Ramadan to a Christian holiday, it's just the only frame of reference I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the (serious) suggestions! I'll probably get him a card for Eid, and try to figure out something having to do with Egypt too, though I have no idea what. He's not fasting or anything, I just think he'd appreciate someone recognizing the occasion. He's older, in his early 60s, so the kids are grown and gone.

I seem to remember him saying how he and his friends used to steal mangos from some guy's mango tree when he was a kid, so I think that might be something sentimental anyway.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread