Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i played some 150cc today and it felt so slow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

zen death robot posted:

i havent tried 200cc yet

its a bit much

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
200cc is great for playing with friends and just loving around, but unless you're 2pro2nasty it's gonna be a bitch driving decently

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Schnedwob posted:

200cc is great for playing with friends and just loving around, but unless you're 2pro2nasty it's gonna be a bitch driving decently

most stages are simply not designed with the speed in mind

the simpler stages like excitebike loving rule though

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

elf help book posted:

if you are pro, it doesnt really matter

Yeah 150 cc is pretty easy. You should be able to win with whatever setup.

For 200cc you'll probably want to go with a light character and a kart with good handling. I use Black Shy Guy with the circuit special kart (or pipe frame if its the leaf cup since Music Park and Wario Stadium have some awkward turns) and slick wheels.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

It seems like the first track of a grand prix has easier AI. I seem to be able to get first on the first track about 100% of the time, by a really good margin. After that the AI kicks up to where you'd expect it to be. IDK. Anecdotal evidence.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Borsche69 posted:

I use Black Shy Guy with the circuit special kart (or pipe frame if its the leaf cup since Music Park and Wario Stadium have some awkward turns) and slick wheels.

Good choice. He has an extra ligament in his kart that allows him to turn faster

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oh jeez I barely triple starred the 200cc special cup. I got lucky on rainbow road. Just 5 more cups to triple star.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

:biotruths:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Oh jeez I barely triple starred the 200cc special cup. I got lucky on rainbow road. Just 5 more cups to triple star.

do you know if 200cc overwrites the stars from lower cups like 150 does to 100 and 50

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

does 3 starring cups on 200cc count for the lower cc cups? and if so is mirror mode counted as well or is that still separate

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

elf help book posted:

do you know if 200cc overwrites the stars from lower cups like 150 does to 100 and 50

I don't know cause I already had all the 150ccs trippled except for the DLC tracks, but I did those on 150 first so I could get used to them and play online.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

when is 200cc mirror mode

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Getting 2 stars because I came in second on the last track makes my blood boil lol. At least if I come on second on the second track I can just restart quickly.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

Getting 2 stars because I came in second on the last track makes my blood boil lol. At least if I come on second on the second track I can just restart quickly.

Okay fixed that. Got all of em through the Lightning cup. Just got the DLC cups to go.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

elf help book posted:

gently caress me it does that?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Red Suit posted:

gently caress me it does that?

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

this game does not make you waste your time below 150

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

elf help book posted:

this game does not make you waste your time below 150

I think I did em all anyway for the coins and to better know each track.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

I think I did em all anyway for the coins and to better know each track.

I didnt try to three star them the first time through, but I also did them all at each cc, which also unlocked every character through doing that

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mabels big day posted:

I didnt try to three star them the first time through, but I also did them all at each cc, which also unlocked every character through doing that

I mean, its kinda hard not to 3 star 50 and 100 cc tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've had this game since release and when I tried to do 200cc Grand Prix I realized I hadn't unlocked it yet (unlocks with mirror mode)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I keep trying to brake and powerslide at the same time like I did in Diddy Kong Racing to give those super tight turns but it doesn't work in 200cc :(

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Schnedwob posted:

Good choice. He has an extra ligament in his kart that allows him to turn faster

lmao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I keep trying to brake and powerslide at the same time like I did in Diddy Kong Racing to give those super tight turns but it doesn't work in 200cc :(

It does work, you have to tap the brake lightly instead though.

I'm getting good at 200cc driving and it's more fun than 150cc ever was.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, 200cc really ups the challenge of the game. It's fantastic.

They need to make N64 Rainbow Road 3 laps though. It's over way too quickly and I can't appreciate the music in such a short timeframe.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0isN9bFA7k

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

seiferguy posted:

They need to make N64 Rainbow Road 3 laps though. It's over way too quickly and I can't appreciate the music in such a short timeframe.

or at least 2 laps. Now that Baby park is in with 7 laps, they have no excuse not to be discontinuous with the 3 laps/sections trend.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

seiferguy posted:

did somebody say n64 rainbow road musihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eawQqkq8ROo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

soak up them feels

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

as much as big blue owns, a point-to-point f-zero track is heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
patch notes for v4.1:
* Buffed Grass

• Locked thread